Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-17-2019, 12:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
2017 16' Sport
Mount Orab , Ohio
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 24
Left vs Right Brain Dilemma

I just have a 16 foot AS Sport, but am thinking about getting a Ford F250 or Ram 2500. Although overkill, I feel that I will have total confidence when driving and that the extra payload could come in handy in bug out situations especially and that I may want to upgrade my AS in the future. I just do not feel safe in my Jeep Grand Cherokee with no extra engine cooling (no towing package).

Here is my dilemma.

I am already feeling guilty for purchasing my RV as "extravagance." Now, I am having trouble justifying spending even more on a truck. My dominant left brain logically decides that the RV +TV is a huge cost just for "fun" rather than "necessity" and that I should sell my RV and get out of this expensive endeavor before sinking more money into this extravagance.

But, my neglected right brain exclaims that the plunge into paradise is a necessity that I cannot afford to miss. I have always been a saver (which helped to accumulate the necessary money for this endeavor and retirement) rather than a spender (which makes these purchases difficult). I keep thinking, "What if I ever need the money for something else?"

Anyone else have similar thoughts prior to purchasing RV + TV? How did you work through the conflict and proceed? (I assume you did proceed if you are here on these forums!) Thanks!
__________________

__________________
Ruby Rose
RV: 2017 16 foot Sport
TV: 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Member WBCCI
Member NOVA
Ruby Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
Tincampers's Avatar
 
2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,734
You can’t take it with you. Enjoy the fruits of your labor while you can.
__________________

Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
Lily&Me's Avatar

 
2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 15,268
Yes.

Maggie
__________________
🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
turk123's Avatar
 
2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,560
My son works for Google. We're spending his inheritance!!
__________________
Our Google images and chat: https://photos.app.goo.gl/CMQbpNXQwapMnj8t9

2017 Airstream International Signature 27FB Twin
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:55 PM   #5
Slide Out Society #001
 
GCinSC2's Avatar
 
2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,115
Ruby,

My boots don't fit you and you're don't fit mine.

You have to do what you feel works for you, you're the boss.

Now you know you've hit on one of the most discussed debated argued about topic on Airforms except for hitch and trailer tires.

But I'll offer you an idea or two.

What is your camping style, gotta take this that and the other thing and such. Is that list of must have big medium or small. Like for us, it's campfire cooking of at all possible and that means a good almost overkill amount of cooking gear. We cook almost nothing inside if we can. If no campfire then it's charcoal for the DO or propane big burner.

All of that "stuff" = weight and you'll most likely appreciate keeping your "stuff" dry and secure, might be a topper or cap.

But if minimalist gear, run to town for a meal is more like it then less weight etc.

I enjoy having my camping stuff, be it cooking or my old school Coleman stoves and lanterns it's part of my enjoyment and sometimes amusement to a fellow camper.

So look around, look in the mirror and see what works for YOU!

So are you Western, English, Walker, Gaited or Trail Pleasure?

And find a nearby rally and kick tires and peak around it's part of learning

Gary
__________________
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:10 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member
 
2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 443
Isn't the Grand Cherokee rated for 3500 lbs. without the tow package?
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 11,404

_____________________________________________

"Two monks were arguing about a flag.

One said: "The flag is moving."

The other said: "The wind is moving."

The sixth patriarch happened to be passing by.

He told them: "Not the wind, not the flag; mind is moving." "
______________________________________________



The Gateless Gate -- Paul Reps
https://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/glg/glg29.htm

Just choose, as you would do when ordering a single-scoop ice cream cone.

"Chocolate or vanilla?"

No dilemma.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:18 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member
 
2017 16' Sport
Canyon Country , California
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 221
I thought the same but camping is a necessity for me. I tent-camped, camped in popup for most of my life. Now it is a necessity to treat my body with AS pamper.

Jeep Cherokee with tow package is reasonable and can tow your Bambi well which is not an overkill. that may put your brain at ease.
__________________
2014 Ford Explorer XLT with factory installed Tow Package.

2017 M16 Bambi
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:32 PM   #9
FYS
1 Rivet Member
 
2016 20' Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 8
It's a lot cheaper to add a transmission cooler if needed to be, than a Ford F-250. Just keep it up with your motor oil and transmission fluid changes, and drive the Cherokee until it dies (or if the repair cost becomes more than vehicle's worth, or it breaksdown all the time). Meanwhile, start putting money away for later purchase. Besides, a Cherokee is so much easier to do street parking than a F-250, where you have to plan to your exit while looking for spots.
FYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
Isn't the Grand Cherokee rated for 3500 lbs. without the tow package?
GC can tow 5000 lb with the V6 and 6500 with the Hemi.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:41 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Rose View Post
I just have a 16 foot AS Sport, but am thinking about getting a Ford F250 or Ram 2500. Although overkill, I feel that I will have total confidence when driving and that the extra payload could come in handy in bug out situations especially and that I may want to upgrade my AS in the future. I just do not feel safe in my Jeep Grand Cherokee with no extra engine cooling (no towing package).

Here is my dilemma.

I am already feeling guilty for purchasing my RV as "extravagance." Now, I am having trouble justifying spending even more on a truck. My dominant left brain logically decides that the RV +TV is a huge cost just for "fun" rather than "necessity" and that I should sell my RV and get out of this expensive endeavor before sinking more money into this extravagance.

But, my neglected right brain exclaims that the plunge into paradise is a necessity that I cannot afford to miss. I have always been a saver (which helped to accumulate the necessary money for this endeavor and retirement) rather than a spender (which makes these purchases difficult). I keep thinking, "What if I ever need the money for something else?"

Anyone else have similar thoughts prior to purchasing RV + TV? How did you work through the conflict and proceed? (I assume you did proceed if you are here on these forums!) Thanks!
I towed my 19’ Bambi with a Grand Cherokee. After reading these forums I upgraded to a F350 despite concerns about the handling. I liked the truck so much I got a 27’ Serenity to pull with it. More forum reading, decided to try a diesel Ram. It’s amazing. I don’t believe “torque is better than horsepower” but good Lord can that thing tow.

As far as guilt, I worked my butt off and went to college while friends of mine partied, then worked my butt off some more. My diesel sits in the garage almost all the time and is used only for towing. I also have a nice car and a Harley to drive to work. I don’t apologize to anyone for what I have earned and I don’t do guilt. Neither should you.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:43 PM   #12
Rivet Master
 
John&Vicki's Avatar
 
1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,033
Images: 4
When in doubt - save the money. Trust me.
__________________
John & Vicki
WBCCI #4291

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled. ~ Robert Frost
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:46 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member
 
2017 16' Sport
Canyon Country , California
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
I towed my 19’ Bambi with a Grand Cherokee. After reading these forums I upgraded to a F350 despite concerns about the handling. I liked the truck so much I got a 27’ Serenity to pull with it. More forum reading, decided to try a diesel Ram. It’s amazing. I don’t believe “torque is better than horsepower” but good Lord can that thing tow.

As far as guilt, I worked my butt off and went to college while friends of mine partied, then worked my butt off some more. My diesel sits in the garage almost all the time and is used only for towing. I also have a nice car and a Harley to drive to work. I don’t apologize to anyone for what I have earned and I don’t do guilt. Neither should you.
I like that... smart guy! smart!
__________________
2014 Ford Explorer XLT with factory installed Tow Package.

2017 M16 Bambi
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 03:11 PM   #14
Rivet Master
 
SteveSueMac's Avatar

 
2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Rose View Post
I just have a 16 foot AS Sport, but am thinking about getting a Ford F250 or Ram 2500. Although overkill, I feel that I will have total confidence when driving and that the extra payload could come in handy in bug out situations especially and that I may want to upgrade my AS in the future. I just do not feel safe in my Jeep Grand Cherokee with no extra engine cooling (no towing package).

Here is my dilemma.

I am already feeling guilty for purchasing my RV as "extravagance." Now, I am having trouble justifying spending even more on a truck. My dominant left brain logically decides that the RV +TV is a huge cost just for "fun" rather than "necessity" and that I should sell my RV and get out of this expensive endeavor before sinking more money into this extravagance.

But, my neglected right brain exclaims that the plunge into paradise is a necessity that I cannot afford to miss. I have always been a saver (which helped to accumulate the necessary money for this endeavor and retirement) rather than a spender (which makes these purchases difficult). I keep thinking, "What if I ever need the money for something else?"

Anyone else have similar thoughts prior to purchasing RV + TV? How did you work through the conflict and proceed? (I assume you did proceed if you are here on these forums!) Thanks!


I worked with a guy who got his undergrad in psychology. He claimed left/right brain theory was bunk.

Not sure that helps your decision making process.

You could ignore the left and be all right now.

The left side wants a demonstrable CBA/ROI. The right side is called “right” for a reason

The financial ROI is negative. There is no financial justification for the trailer or the truck. Both lose value the second you buy them and it goes downhill from there.

For whatever it’s worth - I bought my rig (2013 diesel 2500 Chevy and 2012 27FB Flying Cloud) brand new the end of 2012 - the medicinal value of just driving the rig, let alone seeing new places, camping, meeting new friends on the Club or at campgrounds, non-rat-race time with my wife - absolutely priceless and worth every penny at 100X what I paid.

Overly optimistic/romantic/illogical?

What the hell do I care

This is how it works for me. Your mileage may vary.

But....

Get the rig and camp your heart out*.

*assuming that’s what you want to do - do exactly the opposite if so inclined - if either decision is a mistake, you’ll learn something and take new steps. Ain’t life grand?

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:16 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
 
1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 452
Images: 5
If you feel that your trailer is an extravagance rather than a necessity, and this framing leads you to feel some guilt, one obvious solution is to use your camper and TV for something other than self-indulgence (not that there is anything inherently wrong with rewarding yourself now and them)

So, take your vacation time and trailer and go help rebuild someone's community that has been devastated by natural disaster.

Or get involved with a less fortunate family and bring them along on a trip they would otherwise never be able to afford

Or visit some old friends or family far away and renew old ties -- someone who would be so glad to see you after all these years.

You may be surprised at how selfless giving to others is far more than it's own reward, and you may come to view your trailer as a means to do some good rather than an end unto itself.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:26 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
 
2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 456
$100,000 would buy a lot of motel rooms. $150,000 would buy half as many more.

However, I'd never have the experience of backing into a tight spot, fiddling with the Zip Dee awning, cooking on the grill, going to the international rally, meeting all kinds of people in the campgrounds, sleeping in my own bed, learning about tire pressure monitoring systems, figuring out how to winterize, and just a whole slew of other things that would take up so much bandwidth I think I'll stop right there.

Some people might say I'm privileged. Maybe I am. But I would remind them that for nearly 40 years I got up every morning and went to work day in and day out.

I say wash off any guilt and live your life to the fullest, whatever that might be for you.
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:30 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
 
2017 16' Sport
Mount Orab , Ohio
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
Isn't the Grand Cherokee rated for 3500 lbs. without the tow package?

Yes, the JGC is rated for 3500 lbs towing capacity. The Sport is 2860 lbs dry and coincidentally also has a 3500 lbs towing capacity. I am reading everywhere that it is not a good idea to be towing near capacity and best to tow at just 70% capacity maximum which would be 2450 lbs and which is less than the dry weight of the Sport. I could add an external engine cooling which would help, but I am still over the 70% limit regardless. My JGC may be fine on flat, but I want to be able to go into mountains. Thus, the need for a different TV.

At least the above is my current understanding of my situation.
__________________
Ruby Rose
RV: 2017 16 foot Sport
TV: 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Member WBCCI
Member NOVA
Ruby Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:31 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member
 
2017 16' Sport
Mount Orab , Ohio
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
If you feel that your trailer is an extravagance rather than a necessity, and this framing leads you to feel some guilt, one obvious solution is to use your camper and TV for something other than self-indulgence (not that there is anything inherently wrong with rewarding yourself now and them)

So, take your vacation time and trailer and go help rebuild someone's community that has been devastated by natural disaster.

Or get involved with a less fortunate family and bring them along on a trip they would otherwise never be able to afford

Or visit some old friends or family far away and renew old ties -- someone who would be so glad to see you after all these years.

You may be surprised at how selfless giving to others is far more than it's own reward, and you may come to view your trailer as a means to do some good rather than an end unto itself.

I love this idea! I am going to ponder applications further. Thanks!
__________________
Ruby Rose
RV: 2017 16 foot Sport
TV: 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Member WBCCI
Member NOVA
Ruby Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:33 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
 
2017 16' Sport
Mount Orab , Ohio
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorairhead View Post
$100,000 would buy a lot of motel rooms. $150,000 would buy half as many more.

However, I'd never have the experience of backing into a tight spot, fiddling with the Zip Dee awning, cooking on the grill, going to the international rally, meeting all kinds of people in the campgrounds, sleeping in my own bed, learning about tire pressure monitoring systems, figuring out how to winterize, and just a whole slew of other things that would take up so much bandwidth I think I'll stop right there.

Some people might say I'm privileged. Maybe I am. But I would remind them that for nearly 40 years I got up every morning and went to work day in and day out.

I say wash off any guilt and live your life to the fullest, whatever that might be for you.

Thanks for reminding me that life is more about experiences rather than money in the bank and stuff at home.
__________________
Ruby Rose
RV: 2017 16 foot Sport
TV: 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Member WBCCI
Member NOVA
Ruby Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:39 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member
 
2017 16' Sport
Mount Orab , Ohio
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post

_____________________________________________

"Two monks were arguing about a flag.

One said: "The flag is moving."

The other said: "The wind is moving."

The sixth patriarch happened to be passing by.

He told them: "Not the wind, not the flag; mind is moving." "
______________________________________________



The Gateless Gate -- Paul Reps
https://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/glg/glg29.htm

Just choose, as you would do when ordering a single-scoop ice cream cone.

"Chocolate or vanilla?"

No dilemma.

Or as Yoda says, "Do… or do not."

Good point. Sitting on the fence is uncomfortable!
__________________

__________________
Ruby Rose
RV: 2017 16 foot Sport
TV: 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Member WBCCI
Member NOVA
Ruby Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Left turn and left brake lights not working Morgan guy Lights - Interior & Exterior 9 02-01-2015 07:08 AM
Airstream Left and Right tail lights eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 08-14-2012 04:00 PM
Right Rear Tire Wearing on Outside & Right wheels Closser together than left wheels Tnsawdust General Repair Forum 7 04-10-2009 07:49 PM
Brakes, Left or Right Hand coffeydelsol Brakes & Brake Controllers 9 02-17-2009 07:20 AM
Right side, middle of the road, or left of center? DreamStream Off Topic Forum 19 03-02-2004 05:51 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×