Old 09-17-2019, 12:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Mount Orab , Ohio
Left vs Right Brain Dilemma

I just have a 16 foot AS Sport, but am thinking about getting a Ford F250 or Ram 2500. Although overkill, I feel that I will have total confidence when driving and that the extra payload could come in handy in bug out situations especially and that I may want to upgrade my AS in the future. I just do not feel safe in my Jeep Grand Cherokee with no extra engine cooling (no towing package).

Here is my dilemma.

I am already feeling guilty for purchasing my RV as "extravagance." Now, I am having trouble justifying spending even more on a truck. My dominant left brain logically decides that the RV +TV is a huge cost just for "fun" rather than "necessity" and that I should sell my RV and get out of this expensive endeavor before sinking more money into this extravagance.

But, my neglected right brain exclaims that the plunge into paradise is a necessity that I cannot afford to miss. I have always been a saver (which helped to accumulate the necessary money for this endeavor and retirement) rather than a spender (which makes these purchases difficult). I keep thinking, "What if I ever need the money for something else?"

Anyone else have similar thoughts prior to purchasing RV + TV? How did you work through the conflict and proceed? (I assume you did proceed if you are here on these forums!) Thanks!

Member WBCCI
Member NOVA
Ruby Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
You can’t take it with you. Enjoy the fruits of your labor while you can.

Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yes.

Maggie
Old 09-17-2019, 12:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
My son works for Google. We're spending his inheritance!!

2017 Airstream International Signature 27FB Twin
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:55 PM   #5
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Ruby,

My boots don't fit you and you're don't fit mine.

You have to do what you feel works for you, you're the boss.

Now you know you've hit on one of the most discussed debated argued about topic on Airforms except for hitch and trailer tires.

But I'll offer you an idea or two.

What is your camping style, gotta take this that and the other thing and such. Is that list of must have big medium or small. Like for us, it's campfire cooking of at all possible and that means a good almost overkill amount of cooking gear. We cook almost nothing inside if we can. If no campfire then it's charcoal for the DO or propane big burner.

All of that "stuff" = weight and you'll most likely appreciate keeping your "stuff" dry and secure, might be a topper or cap.

But if minimalist gear, run to town for a meal is more like it then less weight etc.

I enjoy having my camping stuff, be it cooking or my old school Coleman stoves and lanterns it's part of my enjoyment and sometimes amusement to a fellow camper.

So look around, look in the mirror and see what works for YOU!

So are you Western, English, Walker, Gaited or Trail Pleasure?

And find a nearby rally and kick tires and peak around it's part of learning

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:10 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Isn't the Grand Cherokee rated for 3500 lbs. without the tow package?
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York

"Two monks were arguing about a flag.

One said: "The flag is moving."

The other said: "The wind is moving."

The sixth patriarch happened to be passing by.

He told them: "Not the wind, not the flag; mind is moving." "

The Gateless Gate -- Paul Reps
https://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/glg/glg29.htm

Just choose, as you would do when ordering a single-scoop ice cream cone.

"Chocolate or vanilla?"

No dilemma.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:18 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Canyon Country , California
I thought the same but camping is a necessity for me. I tent-camped, camped in popup for most of my life. Now it is a necessity to treat my body with AS pamper.

Jeep Cherokee with tow package is reasonable and can tow your Bambi well which is not an overkill. that may put your brain at ease.

2017 M16 Bambi
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:32 PM   #9
FYS
1 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
It's a lot cheaper to add a transmission cooler if needed to be, than a Ford F-250. Just keep it up with your motor oil and transmission fluid changes, and drive the Cherokee until it dies (or if the repair cost becomes more than vehicle's worth, or it breaksdown all the time). Meanwhile, start putting money away for later purchase. Besides, a Cherokee is so much easier to do street parking than a F-250, where you have to plan to your exit while looking for spots.
FYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
GC can tow 5000 lb with the V6 and 6500 with the Hemi.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:41 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Rose View Post
I just have a 16 foot AS Sport, but am thinking about getting a Ford F250 or Ram 2500. Although overkill, I feel that I will have total confidence when driving and that the extra payload could come in handy in bug out situations especially and that I may want to upgrade my AS in the future. I just do not feel safe in my Jeep Grand Cherokee with no extra engine cooling (no towing package).

Here is my dilemma.

I am already feeling guilty for purchasing my RV as "extravagance." Now, I am having trouble justifying spending even more on a truck. My dominant left brain logically decides that the RV +TV is a huge cost just for "fun" rather than "necessity" and that I should sell my RV and get out of this expensive endeavor before sinking more money into this extravagance.

But, my neglected right brain exclaims that the plunge into paradise is a necessity that I cannot afford to miss. I have always been a saver (which helped to accumulate the necessary money for this endeavor and retirement) rather than a spender (which makes these purchases difficult). I keep thinking, "What if I ever need the money for something else?"

Anyone else have similar thoughts prior to purchasing RV + TV? How did you work through the conflict and proceed? (I assume you did proceed if you are here on these forums!) Thanks!
I towed my 19’ Bambi with a Grand Cherokee. After reading these forums I upgraded to a F350 despite concerns about the handling. I liked the truck so much I got a 27’ Serenity to pull with it. More forum reading, decided to try a diesel Ram. It’s amazing. I don’t believe “torque is better than horsepower” but good Lord can that thing tow.

As far as guilt, I worked my butt off and went to college while friends of mine partied, then worked my butt off some more. My diesel sits in the garage almost all the time and is used only for towing. I also have a nice car and a Harley to drive to work. I don’t apologize to anyone for what I have earned and I don’t do guilt. Neither should you.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:43 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
When in doubt - save the money. Trust me.
WBCCI #4291

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled. ~ Robert Frost
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:46 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Canyon Country , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
I towed my 19’ Bambi with a Grand Cherokee. After reading these forums I upgraded to a F350 despite concerns about the handling. I liked the truck so much I got a 27’ Serenity to pull with it. More forum reading, decided to try a diesel Ram. It’s amazing. I don’t believe “torque is better than horsepower” but good Lord can that thing tow.

As far as guilt, I worked my butt off and went to college while friends of mine partied, then worked my butt off some more. My diesel sits in the garage almost all the time and is used only for towing. I also have a nice car and a Harley to drive to work. I don’t apologize to anyone for what I have earned and I don’t do guilt. Neither should you.
I like that... smart guy! smart!

2017 M16 Bambi
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 03:11 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Rose View Post

Here is my dilemma.

I worked with a guy who got his undergrad in psychology. He claimed left/right brain theory was bunk.

Not sure that helps your decision making process.

You could ignore the left and be all right now.

The left side wants a demonstrable CBA/ROI. The right side is called “right” for a reason

The financial ROI is negative. There is no financial justification for the trailer or the truck. Both lose value the second you buy them and it goes downhill from there.

For whatever it’s worth - I bought my rig (2013 diesel 2500 Chevy and 2012 27FB Flying Cloud) brand new the end of 2012 - the medicinal value of just driving the rig, let alone seeing new places, camping, meeting new friends on the Club or at campgrounds, non-rat-race time with my wife - absolutely priceless and worth every penny at 100X what I paid.

Overly optimistic/romantic/illogical?

What the hell do I care

This is how it works for me. Your mileage may vary.

But....

Get the rig and camp your heart out*.

*assuming that’s what you want to do - do exactly the opposite if so inclined - if either decision is a mistake, you’ll learn something and take new steps. Ain’t life grand?

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:16 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
If you feel that your trailer is an extravagance rather than a necessity, and this framing leads you to feel some guilt, one obvious solution is to use your camper and TV for something other than self-indulgence (not that there is anything inherently wrong with rewarding yourself now and them)

So, take your vacation time and trailer and go help rebuild someone's community that has been devastated by natural disaster.

Or get involved with a less fortunate family and bring them along on a trip they would otherwise never be able to afford

Or visit some old friends or family far away and renew old ties -- someone who would be so glad to see you after all these years.

You may be surprised at how selfless giving to others is far more than it's own reward, and you may come to view your trailer as a means to do some good rather than an end unto itself.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:26 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
$100,000 would buy a lot of motel rooms. $150,000 would buy half as many more.

However, I'd never have the experience of backing into a tight spot, fiddling with the Zip Dee awning, cooking on the grill, going to the international rally, meeting all kinds of people in the campgrounds, sleeping in my own bed, learning about tire pressure monitoring systems, figuring out how to winterize, and just a whole slew of other things that would take up so much bandwidth I think I'll stop right there.

Some people might say I'm privileged. Maybe I am. But I would remind them that for nearly 40 years I got up every morning and went to work day in and day out.

I say wash off any guilt and live your life to the fullest, whatever that might be for you.
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:30 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Mount Orab , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post

Yes, the JGC is rated for 3500 lbs towing capacity. The Sport is 2860 lbs dry and coincidentally also has a 3500 lbs towing capacity. I am reading everywhere that it is not a good idea to be towing near capacity and best to tow at just 70% capacity maximum which would be 2450 lbs and which is less than the dry weight of the Sport. I could add an external engine cooling which would help, but I am still over the 70% limit regardless. My JGC may be fine on flat, but I want to be able to go into mountains. Thus, the need for a different TV.

At least the above is my current understanding of my situation.
Member WBCCI
Member NOVA
Old 09-20-2019, 12:31 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Mount Orab , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
If you feel that your trailer is an extravagance rather than a necessity, and this framing leads you to feel some guilt, one obvious solution is to use your camper and TV for something other than self-indulgence (not that there is anything inherently wrong with rewarding yourself now and them)

So, take your vacation time and trailer and go help rebuild someone's community that has been devastated by natural disaster.

Or get involved with a less fortunate family and bring them along on a trip they would otherwise never be able to afford

Or visit some old friends or family far away and renew old ties -- someone who would be so glad to see you after all these years.

You may be surprised at how selfless giving to others is far more than it's own reward, and you may come to view your trailer as a means to do some good rather than an end unto itself.

I love this idea! I am going to ponder applications further. Thanks!
Member WBCCI
Member NOVA
Old 09-20-2019, 12:33 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Mount Orab , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorairhead View Post
$100,000 would buy a lot of motel rooms. $150,000 would buy half as many more.

However, I'd never have the experience of backing into a tight spot, fiddling with the Zip Dee awning, cooking on the grill, going to the international rally, meeting all kinds of people in the campgrounds, sleeping in my own bed, learning about tire pressure monitoring systems, figuring out how to winterize, and just a whole slew of other things that would take up so much bandwidth I think I'll stop right there.

Some people might say I'm privileged. Maybe I am. But I would remind them that for nearly 40 years I got up every morning and went to work day in and day out.

I say wash off any guilt and live your life to the fullest, whatever that might be for you.

Thanks for reminding me that life is more about experiences rather than money in the bank and stuff at home.
Member WBCCI
Member NOVA
Old 09-20-2019, 12:39 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Mount Orab , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post

"Two monks were arguing about a flag.

One said: "The flag is moving."

The other said: "The wind is moving."

The sixth patriarch happened to be passing by.

He told them: "Not the wind, not the flag; mind is moving." "

The Gateless Gate -- Paul Reps
https://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/glg/glg29.htm

Just choose, as you would do when ordering a single-scoop ice cream cone.

"Chocolate or vanilla?"

No dilemma.

Or as Yoda says, "Do… or do not."

Good point. Sitting on the fence is uncomfortable!

Member WBCCI
Member NOVA