Restorations done right
Commercial Member
1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
learn from my mistakes.

I often post my stupidity so others may learn from it as I try very hard to also. In this case you might help me learn....
Four days ago, while drilling over head, and wearing safety glasses, I had a bit of metal bounce past the glasses and make purchase in my eye. Today I had a special holiday appointment with an optometrist to have said piece of metal removed. This is the fourth time in three years I have been through this. Just to get the facts right before you chid me, I was wearing safety glasses in all four situations. I am actually very religious about the use of safety glasses. Having a rust ring removed from your cornea, will do that to a fella.
The glasses I wear are the wrap around clear type.
Click image for larger version

Name:	post-glasses.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	186669
I feel I need to obtain something better. Short of the fully enclosed goggle type,
Click image for larger version

Name:	es-gp.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	186670
do any of you have any brand suggestions? It has been suggested I try the old school, horned rimmed, Craftsman type with the mesh sides like these.

Name:   images.jpeg
Views: 713
Size:  5.6 KB
Your input would be appreciated...

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
You seem to have a good relationship with your opthamologist, I would ask the doctor what they believe would provide the best level of protection. Like you, I wear the clear wrap arounds. My lesson came from doing yard work, and turning into pine needles.

Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
Restorations done right
Commercial Member
1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I did ask, he suggested a career change. Not an option...
Old 05-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Sorry to hear of the accidents!

You mention looking for something short of fully enclosed. Just wondering why that restriction? That would seem to provide the maximum protection.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
Restorations done right
Commercial Member
1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Here in Maryland it about to become blast furnace hot. Wearing goggles for 8+ hours would be near impossible due to the constant fogging up and needing to purge the sweat from the goggles themselves. The plastic is also generally soft and scratches very easily. Those type of glasses are really to prevent splash accidents in laboratories...
Old 05-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Husband has the horned-rimmed style you have pictured. Ugly but very effective. He had them made with his prescription.
Not knowing enough to be afraid... (I know more than I did, but I did it anyway!)

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:21 PM   #7
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Do you need prescription or room to fit glasses under? I use these and I like them, they do fog at higher temps .... But using soap and or skiing anti fog I can make them work.

DEWALT DPG82-11C Concealer Clear Anti-Fog Dual Mold Safety Goggle -

Ps been there done that.... Emergency room on a holiday , to have metal removed from my eye...also while wearing "safety" glasses.
Shelly : TAC NH-6 | AIR 41359
Visit my blog!
Parts needed : Braund Antenna front tube fold down model!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #8

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Hey Frank,
Think about this...It's not about what you wear, it's about what you wear 'When'...

How about a full face shield when you are below your working surface? They don't fog too bad and they are much better than a visit to the eye doc.

I HATE full enclosed eye guards, they fog on good days here in MS.

I've spent more on my right eye than my most expensive Airstream....
Hi Ho Silver RV! Vernon, Sarah, Mac the Border Collie -
A honkin' long 34' named AlumaTherapy
and a 26' '63 Overlander, Dolly
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:10 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member
1979 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
San Antonio , Texas
Been there, done that, and it's no fun

I wear glasses anyway (old eyes!),over them I wear the wrap-a-rounds, then a full face shield. In my opinion, it's just not worth the risk.

Also beware the the "stuff" that ends up on your shirt and arms, easily transferred to your face!
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:48 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Another alternative to goggles would be "Fecto" glasses. They are essentially safety glasses with a foam seal around the lens. They don't seal as well as goggles but also don't fog up as bad. They do however fog worse than regular safety glasses. I'm the safety man for my company and if someone made a pair of glasses that provided the the protection of goggles and not fog up they would make millions.
1972 Avion V-25 Voyager
2010 Nissan Titan CC
Indiana, PA
Hoppershot75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:01 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Me too Frank. I guess it is a hazzard of what you do. I wear all sorts of eye protection solution for these high heat/humidity areas we live in. One thing I learned.....don't go do that "quick" job...just a second on the grinder or drill one spot...without the protection. Thats when it will get you. Let us know if you find a solution. Take care of your eyes.
"If it can't be reduced, reused, repaired, rebuilt, refurbished, refinished, resold, recycled or composted
then it should be restricted, redesigned or removed from production."
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:03 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Thank You for Making Me THINK

I gotta go with a full face shield even though I never thought of using one before. I have the ones with the plastic sides and they fog up and I sweat saltwater into my eyes in about 3 minutes flat.

I am going to the auto parts store this afternoon and a full face shield will be added to my other purchases.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:14 AM   #13
Rivet Master
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
frank, you can try add=ind a second barrier. one thing i sometimes do is to use a paper cup or shallow jar lid to catch debris like plaster. i suppose it would work with metal too. i poke a hole in the cup and hold the cup/lid up to the surface while drilling. it catches a lot of debris. if you want to invent something, make the cup, put a washer under it, then a coil spring followed by another washer. insert the bit through the hardware and the cup will stay on the drilled surface. if the cup is clear, that would work even better.

i've seen machinists put thck grease on the bit to catch shavings. any machinists here with any tips?
2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Gravity has been reliable and consistent for years, in spite of the EPA actions.

So has "The Optimist, Murphy".. Of course Murphy always knew better, he worked for EPA probably.

You don't realize importance of things like eyesight, health, freedom, until lost. Protection demands "eternal vigilance "

Overhead work you can use a cheap full face MC helmet. Securing the chin strap may be overkill.

The cup/bowl idea to catch debris is good idea.

Another idea I use is my Shop Vac. Keep hose close to my work and little escapes if any. Don't tell the EPA ok? I figure it may cause some kind of disease doing things that way.

Dear EPA, this message will not cause appreciable concern. Move along. Nothing to see here.

BTW, EPA stands for.... Excited Purchasers of Airstreams, doesn't it?

Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote