Old 05-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have a pair of the horn rimmed frame type that you show with side guards. I have installed reverse bifocal lens. The near vision part of the lens in on the top/distance on the bottom. In my case it is much better for close in and over head work. I also use a set of over glass sized safety goggles for added protection from flying objects when needed or spray painting.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Another option

If you're not expecting large objects flying at your eyes at high rates of speed, ie, osha requirements a little overkill, you may want to try some swim goggles, the small ones that go over each eye, not the scuba mask. They keep dirt and sweat out of the eyes, and are usually for proof/resistant. Wear them slightly loose for comfort.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
I spent a lot of time as a welder in Norfolk Naval Shipyard and Newport News. Lots of grinding of metal, burning and welding sparks every day from all directions. Obviously we wore welding shields when actually melting metal. But that was over top of the old school glasses with attached side shields. Most of the time, when grinding, or beating off slag, shield was up and only defense was the glasses. If there was a lot of grinding, we also donned the clear plastic full face shields over the glasses.
Nothing is perfect, obviously, and I also had a few trips to have metal removed from my eyes. But in the crowded conditions, and multiple personnel working I suppose you can't protect from everything.
But I would think the old style glasses with good side shields would work best for one person. Add on the full face shield if working overhead or in a spot where sparks bounce back at you from the side.
Good luck and I hope you never suffer from that pain again!

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Something like your bottom photo is what I usually wear, though somewhere I got a pair with folding stainless steel mesh screens at the temples and with prescription bifocals in them. The perforated plastic "face mask" style just sweats / fogs up in no time, at least if it's not the dead of winter. But I still sometimes put one of those on over the safety glasses if I'm grinding / chipping, etc. overhead.

Several friends who do a lot of wood lathe work have got full face shields with air supply. The air provides cooling/evaporation and keeps most of the dust out of the face, so one can breathe filtered air instead of wood dust. They report that they are comfortable for extended wear, are of Lexan so they'll take a goodly impact, and never fog up or get too hot, because of the air supply. Maybe. But then you've got to deal with the air supply line, and I don't think any of them work flat on their backs under their lathes.

Good luck in your search! Safety is always important, but we don't always realize it until something bad happens ... and then it can be too late. Your post has made me more thoughtful on this point. Thanks.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Metal chunks in the eyes hurt like crazy and even worse the annoying part of it and not being able to sleep. I've had good luck with the Oakley safety glasses that fit really close to my eyes a lot like googles. There aren't cheap but worth at least trying them on and or different safety glasses to see what is the closest fitting to your face. Overhead drilling I wear a baseball hat and try to add a clear safety shield if I'm doing a bunch of drilling and I also try to position my face out from directly under the flying debris, easier said than done I know.
I feel for you brother,that some terrible pain and discomfort.
Mike
http://www.oakley.com/products/5544/17953
Old 05-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #20
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJoeSilver View Post
If you're not expecting large objects flying at your eyes at high rates of speed, ie, osha requirements a little overkill
Lots of people think OSHA requirements are overkill. But OSHA requirements for eye protection don't just address high-speed moving objects entering the eyes. They also address chemicals (including vapors) as well as dust, grit, metal filings, etc.

When you're working on your own trailer on your own time, you don't HAVE to follow OSHA requirements. OSHA will never come around to to your driveway and cite you for not following their rules. But it never hurts to spend a few minutes online looking up what their requirements actually are and seeing if you might want to voluntarily follow them. The thing about OSHA requirements, they're always written AFTER someone has died, or been blinded or otherwise crippled, to help make sure it doesn't happen again.

Could be worse… You could have to follow the Corps of Engineers Safety & Health Requirements Manual. That manual has been around since long before anyone ever thought of OSHA, and is updated a lot more often than OSHA, about every three years, and it's actually more restrictive than OSHA as well.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
I did that back in my construction days. That rust ring removal is no fun, when they clamp your head and stick that hooked blade in your eye. Been there, done that.
I still have a blind spot I can see when I'm in bright light.

The same as you, I had safety glasses on. I did not find any glasses or face shield that will overcome gravity or wind directed shavings. I found not being directly under when drilling overhead works. And, positioning myself so the wind carries particles away instead of toward. For me, just being aware worked and I still always keep the glasses on.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:01 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
This one is probably going to give you the best protection. Although if you want even more protection and more comfort I would consider off road motorcycle goggles. They are not cheap but since you do this stuff everyday you might be able to justify the extra cost. The motorcycle goggles have foam rubber gaskets around your cheeks and also covering the vent holes. Nothing smaller than a grain of sand will get by them. I don't know if you could wear them with a dust mask or not. Take a mask with you to a motorcycle shop and try some. Here are some from cycle gear.

http://www.cyclegear.com/search/go#w=goggles&asug=
Perry

Old 05-28-2013, 03:09 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
This one is probably going to give you the best protection. Although if you want even more protection and more comfort I would consider off road motorcycle goggles. They are not cheap but since you do this stuff everyday you might be able to justify the extra cost. The motorcycle goggles have foam rubber gaskets around your cheeks and also covering the vent holes. Nothing smaller than a grain of sand will get by them. I don't know if you could wear them with a dust mask or not. Take a mask with you to a motorcycle shop and try some. Here are some from cycle gear.

Cycle Gear - Search
Perry

Frank.

You can "double down", or up as the case may be.

Wear the above, plus a complete face shield. In that way, you double the protection for your eyes, as well as protect your face, along with that nice smile..

Andy
Old 05-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #24
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Wow, so many suggestions, thank you. My concern is that even with one set of glasses on, my vision is compromised. I often have to stop what I am doing and take off my glasses to see what I am doing. I am hoping for a one item solution.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:39 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
If you think a pair 1962 vintage safety glasses would do the trick, consider a pair with metal mesh side guards. I worked with an engineer years ago who wore these and said they were quite comfortable and didn't fog up. It looks like they pop up on eBay frequently.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	glasses.png
Views:	46
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	186700  
Old 05-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #26
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65CV View Post
If you think a pair 1962 vintage safety glasses would do the trick, consider a pair with metal mesh side guards. I worked with an engineer years ago who wore these and said they were quite comfortable and didn't fog up. It looks like they pop up on eBay frequently.
From 1962? I have a thing for that year! Those are the type I am going for....
Old 05-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #27
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Click image for larger version

Name:	$T2eC16d,!zcE9s4g3h-5BQ9,50O9s!~~60_12.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	186707

I might buy this sign too...
Old 05-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Those are the ones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65CV View Post

Yup, those are what I have, but with bifocal lenses. Work pretty good. No one will ever mistake ya' for a movie star when yer' wearing them, but then again, no one ever mistook me for one ever!