Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2008, 06:18 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!

I remember this phrase from those days in South East Asia.
Now I have mixed emotions....
Remember...I am just asking here.
While viewing our Classifieds I came across Tin Can Tourists Web Site in a reference...that led to a discussion about this Forum. NOT a pretty sight (as they say.)
Then I get a notice about the upcoming push for "sustaining membership..." (read dollars) here.....but after the previous mentioned info I feel like I am being screwed. I love this Forum and the info provided but now I wonder about the 'Social Knowledge" tie in.
I had always hoped it was set up and run by an Airstream Fanatic and not by some Web Site Administrator in it just for the $$$$$. At least someone that owned, and was involved with, an Airstream.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:35 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch
While viewing our Classifieds I came across Tin Can Tourists Web Site in a reference...that led to a discussion about this Forum. NOT a pretty sight (as they say.)
Then I get a notice about the upcoming push for "sustaining membership..." (read dollars) here.....but after the previous mentioned info I feel like I am being screwed. I love this Forum and the info provided but now I wonder about the 'Social Knowledge" tie in.
I had always hoped it was set up and run by an Airstream Fanatic and not by some Web Site Administrator in it just for the $$$$$. At least someone that owned, and was involved with, an Airstream.
The owner of this forum is the happy owner of a vintage Bambi.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Exclamation

To what, specifically, (link) are you referring?

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:49 PM   #4
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
While viewing our Classifieds I came across Tin Can Tourists Web Site in a reference...that led to a discussion about this Forum. NOT a pretty sight (as they say.).......
I, for one, would appreciate it if you would provide a link to that "discussion". It would be interesting to "see how the other guys get on". I have spoken to Andy, the owner of this web site, at length on a couple of occasions back when I was a "member of the staff" here. Andy is the owner of a Vintage Airstream and he loves the product.

BUT, much to the chagrin of many, the internet is not free. It costs real money to host this site. If Andy makes a couple of bucks doing it, so much the better. It keeps this place functioning. Just my 2 cents.

And BTW, thank you for your service to our country, especially in such a troubled time.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
I read the discussion you refered to.

It's no biggie in my mind and here's why.

You can enjoy this forum for free if you choose. No fee's are required to take part.

This is possible because companies pay Social Knowledge to advertise here.

Generally how much is paid depends on how many hits a forum has.

All the hardware and software costs money. Social Knowledge continually upgrades hardware and software to keep this forum functioning.

We benefit from Social knowledges business plan and advertisers ad costs.

It's a tad farfetched to expect a wealthy eccentric to pay all the associated costs out of pocket so a group of Airstreamers have a place to play.

Airstream like most companies is in business to provide a product for a profit. Only here others (advertisers) provide the profit while we enjoy the product.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I couldn't find it. From the context here I don't think it's anything that hasn't been mentioned before but now I am curious to read it since it has been referenced. What is the name of the thread or the section it is contained in over at TCT forums? Thanks!

photography
wheel interested is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:13 PM   #7
_

. , .
Quote:
...While viewing our Classifieds I came across Tin Can Tourists Web Site in a reference...that led to a discussion about this Forum. NOT a pretty sight (as they say.)...Then I get a notice about the upcoming push for "sustaining membership..."...
-classified?

guess what folks use them for FREE! try selling on ebay or in the newspaper or rv trade publications at that price...

-what isn't a pretty site?

the forum content is WHAT WE MAKE IT, mostly and when the mods don't get too cute about editing.

-what "push" for membership?

it's an annual thing and started this time of year.

i've got some issues with it too but IF really bugged we can each start our OWN forum or blogs...

and some have done just that.

the owner has to buy EQUIPMENT AND SOFTWARE for we can play in this sand box.

these virtual communities (like the dozen in the s.k.n.) are a growing phenomena and like the early www, free is a limited stage and time.

your concerns aren't exactly clear to me, so expand on them please. who's leading, what follows and how do we get out of the way?

without knowing the exact beef, we have had related threads and exchanges last year or longer back, like these ones...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...age-28559.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...member-34.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...ion-36758.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f232...tudy-1988.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
The owner of this forum is the happy owner of a vintage Bambi.
Dose he also cook, do his own home repairs, own a sail boat, travel, whitewater kayak, do fashion shows, do yoga, have an interest in the royal family, drive a Touareg, drive a Jeep, make no mistake this is a commercial venture hence the early retirement forum.

Not to mention the section restricted to owner of other high traffic sites. Ad sense makes good sense. More power to him it cost money to run the sites and it takes time.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:26 PM   #9
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark
...More power to him it cost money to run the sites and it takes time.
i agree jim, but wouldn't it be MORE FUN is we promoted this version....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
...a wealthy eccentric to pay all the associated costs...
(where is that emoticon for wealthy eccentric)

and i think he does ALL of those things, while wearing a dress and hanging with the royal family!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
You can also pay TCT to be a member, or participate for free. If my memory serves me right someone also owns TCT.

Like hemorrhoids I have more important things to worry about
Old 03-04-2008, 07:44 PM   #11
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
-classified?

........the owner has to buy EQUIPMENT AND SOFTWARE for we can play in this sand box......

......your concerns aren't exactly clear to me, so expand on them please. who's leading, what follows and how do we get out of the way?

cheers
2air'
Good and precise comments, 2air'. Let's not forget the cost of bandwidth. I don't know the www from nuthin', but my guess is that the bandwidth costs far outweigh hardware and the (never ending) software upgrades.

Once again, can somebody provide the link? I wanna make sure I get it right before I go over there and tear up some real estate.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:46 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I remember at least 2 other Airsteam sites before Andy made this one the premier site. Does Hunter still have her Yahoo Group? Hard work and knowledge is rewarded in our country. I belong to an MGA site which lets you use it for free but to post pictures or other things takes an upgraded membership, Airforums is a great deal and well run.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:49 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic
You can also pay TCT to be a member, or participate for free. If my memory serves me right someone also owns TCT.

Like hemorrhoids I have more important things to worry about

Apply "Tucks" then keep on surfin' the AirForums!
Old 03-04-2008, 07:53 PM   #14

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I had the pleasure of having dinner with AndyR and a friend just a few months ago when he was travelling around the US for the holidays. Great guy, very smart. I get the feeling he's smart as a whip when it comes to figuring out how to make a little money on the internet, while still providing these great forums for us to play in. Most of the money comes from advertising, and a little comes from members who want to pitch in and help out. If you help out, you see fewer ads, so it works either way. And He is an AS fanatic, and he does travel extensively as well. Most of all he's a nice guy, and that's why I am happy to volunteer my time as a moderator on this forum, help support the membership that finds this forum useful (or a vital part of their daily surfing), and I don't feel like my time is being taken advantage of for someone else to make money. This is a really special place, and I'm grateful AndyR has made it available to all of us to hang out in.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:54 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
"I had always hoped it was set up and run by an Airstream Fanatic and not by some Web Site Administrator in it just for the $$$$$. At least someone that owned, and was involved with, an Airstream".[/quote]

I'm with Rhett Butler on this one! Being a supporting member here is both a bargain and a privelidge as I see it. It is immaterial to me who owns it or what they do after the shades go down at night. What I care about is a well maintained, user friendly, populous site where I can trade information and have a little fun and this be it. I'm happy to supply whatever fanaticism is needed, also.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
I read that comment, it did not sway me. Sort of sounded like sour grapes to me. When you have a model that works, there is nothing wrong with expanding the concept to other niches, whether for fun or funds. That makes sense to me. You go Andy, Make money, retire early, travel the world, you deserve the success that you have worked hard for. I am with you all the way.
Silverhawk, Bob
silverhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:37 PM   #17
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
... and this is probably more than I should say:

Name:   someoneiswrong.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  13.7 KB
Note: this is not directed at our mods or the owners of the site, thanks guys!
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:37 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I too have had the absolute pleasure of meeting Andy face-to-face. He is a wonderfully generous, enthusiastic Airstream owner who happens to have the know-how to put together a teriffic playground for us to all participate in. Good for him he has figured out a way to make a living on the road doing what he loves to do...I'm jealous!

Let me ask this...would you rather have a stick-in-the-mud eccentric millionaire running this site or someone who is living the dream of "SEE MORE DO MORE LIVE MORE". Uhhhh...no contest in my book!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:40 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
Never met him, probably won't. But I am glad for his work and the members on the forum. Thanks AndyR.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:42 PM   #20
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
I think Andy has a great site and one of the best forums I've been on. Certainly one of the most active with the "captive" audience - AIRSTREAMERS!

Very much appreciate the work, effort and time keeping the forum running smoothly and essentially, problem fee. Thanks Andy (hope any income from it pays the bills and at least gives you some good trips on the road)!
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote