Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Great minds think alike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandvm
Paula,
We had the 22' CCD for 10 months and enjoyed it for long weekends.....but when we took a 35 day trip, it became too confining......causing us to rethink our space needs. We miss the desk in the 22' and the larger kitchen counter space also. The 28' CCD definitely is more comfortable for the two of us......and would probably be just the ticket for a single!
It's been no problem towing with our 2500 Avalanche (similar to 2500 Burb)
Interesting you mention sewing.....my wife is an avid quilter.
Here are some pics of how she handled that in both the 22' and 28' CCD's!
I've used the desk to sew at in the 22 and I already have that little folding table! I found it at Sam's Club. Handy! Bigger than a tray table, but light and easy to set up and take down. I use a serger a lot, so I tried to set both up at the dinette, one on each side of the table. That works OK, but only if you remove the cushions from the dinette. First, it stops you from getting thread and fabric fuzz all over the upholstery then having to use a lint roller to remove it, and second you can slide in and out easier... going from one machine to the other. Even the little snaps aren't noticable.

The disadvantage is NO space to lay out and cut fabric, in the 22. I tried it on the dinette table, but it's a PITA. Finally stripped the bed and did it on the bare mattress (wouldn't have been fun if I'd cut into the down comforter, now would it?)

However in most campgrounds there is some kind of social hall, etc. where you can cut out patterns.

Tin Lizzie

Old 03-14-2006, 10:23 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Windows on the 25 FB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandvm
I'd also look at the windows on the 25' FB.....which don't open very far (unlike the CCD). That would be an issue with me!
Doesn't the FB SE have the rivited windows? Arrgh. I just looked at them both at the Atlantic City RV show and now I can't remember. Guess I'll go to Colonial Airstream's web site next.

Boy, I contacted the one Airstream dealer in VA (Safford RV) and they don't know sh** about Airstreams. They just started to sell them a year or two ago, but they've been selling a ton of SOB's for many, many years.

I'll probably buy out of state again rather than deal with virgins.

T.L.

Old 03-14-2006, 10:50 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Paula, the 25' FB comes both in the traditional Safari style with the smaller crank windows and the cloth walls and headliner, or the SE edition with the aluminum interior and the International/Classic full opening windows, which also adds the rear (and front as an option) panoramic wrap window, which was the deal breaker that we fell in love with!

Bob thanks for the link and Jim too.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 01:18 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
So All Y'all, who has bought from Colonial Airstream in NJ? Any stories? I'm thinking I could get a better deal on the FB SE in VA, but if I go with the 28 it will be much less if I go to Colonial. Comments?

Paula
Old 03-15-2006, 01:36 PM   #19
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Paula. I haven't had much dealings with Safford, but my PO bought my trailer new from them back in '97 - so they've been around for awhile. Maybe you talked with the wrong guy up there?

But then, if you hit one dud - maybe that's aplenty.

Pat
Old 03-15-2006, 03:15 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaFord
Boy, I contacted the one Airstream dealer in VA (Safford RV) and they don't know sh** about Airstreams. They just started to sell them a year or two ago, but they've been selling a ton of SOB's for many, many years.
I'll probably buy out of state again rather than deal with virgins.
T.L.
Hi Paula,

In defense of Safford, they have been selling Airstreams for as long as I've been living in Fredericksburg, over 18 years now. They have been in their new location for 2 years. They have a knowledgable sales staff and I get all my service done there. They may or may not like being called virgins though!

Safford doesn't carry a full inventory like Colonial does. I bought my CCD from Colonial for that reason. If I had more time, I would have ordered from Safford though. FYI, Colonial has only been selling Airstreams for about 4 years.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 05:36 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
You're right

Quote:
Originally Posted by rseagle
Hi Paula,

In defense of Safford, they have been selling Airstreams for as long as I've been living in Fredericksburg, over 18 years now. They have been in their new location for 2 years. They have a knowledgable sales staff and I get all my service done there. They may or may not like being called virgins though!

Safford doesn't carry a full inventory like Colonial does. I bought my CCD from Colonial for that reason. If I had more time, I would have ordered from Safford though. FYI, Colonial has only been selling Airstreams for about 4 years.
Almost immediately after I posted, I read the thread from the 1992 Airstream Life... and there was Safford RV. I've been to their dealership and they sell a helluva lot of SOB's - Airstream seems to be a sideline with them. The salesman I got didn't know that much about them.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:43 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Hmmmm, The Strange World of Airstream Sales

If you want a 25ft FB SE almost all dealers are selling at MSRP $56K+, but Safford RV will make a deal right now if anyone is interested... under $49K.

Now HERE's the odd one, I could get a 28 CCD from Colonial that was made before the price increase on a special deal for just over $52K........ Hmmm a 28 for less than a 25...... it just gets odder and odder. And I just bought.

Sh***** how did THAT happen.

Tin Lizzie....

Now everyone help me name the new one.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:04 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I don't think so...

Quote:
1992 Airstream Life...
...you must mean 1992 Trailer Life

Shari

BTW...
Quote:
And I just bought.
congratulations!
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 08:51 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
=InsideOut

BTW...congratulations!
Paula did you order a 28'? I thought you were just thinking of going bigger. Congrats from me too!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote