Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2010, 10:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
knee replacement

Just visited the doc today. As I have know for some time I would require knee replacement.
Today the doc said - I would have to have both knees replaced, and suggested that it could be done at one time.
Anyone had both knees done at the same time?
Looking for your thoughts - help!!!!!!!!!!!!
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sempi2 View Post
Just visited the doc today. As I have know for some time I would require knee replacement.
Today the doc said - I would have to have both knees replaced, and suggested that it could be done at one time.
Anyone had both knees done at the same time?
Looking for your thoughts - help!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do one at a time.

I had one replaced and the doc wanted to do the second one in 2 weeks.

Unfortunately, the first one had and still does have problems. That was 1 1/2 years ago.

It's only half bad, to limp on one leg, than 2.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Kennewick , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to shermybaby
I guy I used to work with had both done at the same time and was back to work in three weeks. another guy that I did not know well but worked at the university as well had one and then the other. He was off for 12 weeks. Depends on the person, healing speed and a lot on attitude I think.

Wish you luck!!!
shermybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Shermybaby. Thanks, That is what I am interested in knowing. I am thinking that if I have to be "in pain" - as though I am not already - and can get it over one time it is the way to go. Plus once it is over I can really enjoy our travels. Susan
Old 09-17-2010, 10:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'm going to have to have the same thing done at some point. I have met and talked with a couple of people who have had two done at once, they say it's the best thing they ever did, changed their life for the better, etc.

Personally, by the time you are psyched for and under for the one knee, they might as well do the second at the same time, don't you think?

Good luck to you,

Maggie
Old 09-17-2010, 10:46 PM   #6
_

. , .
total (or partial) knee replacement surgery is ELECTIVE surgery.

while it might at times seem like it's life saving,

the fact is it is life enhancing, when the outcomes are positive.

that means YOU have to elect to have this done and should approach it with due diligence.

but this shouldn't be confused with...

potentially life SAVING surgery (cancer/trauma) where few other options exist and TIME is critical.
________

-get a 2nd option from a different ortho group/doc,

-in fact get a 3rd opinion, possibly from a rheumatologist or physical medicine doc.

-learn what the alternatives are to knee replacement (there are at least 6)

-get CLEAR on the risks ALL of them, the recovery time and so on.

-find a few folks LOCALLY who have had this surgery...

not everyone has the SAME issues/outcomes but a sampling of patients is useful

(folks your same age/health/weight are best for comparison)

-talk with the physical therapists...

that YOU will eventually see after surgery, REALLY get their views on this.

-ask if you can VISIT the clinic when someone who has JUST had surgery is IN for therapy.

-many folks DO have both done at once and there are good reasons to take this approach.

but some/others DO have 1 done then sort out doing the 2nd.
________

this is complicated and important stuff.

it's really beyond the scope of an rv forum

and with ALL the same risksnconfusion as asking about tires or hitches...

except there's blood, knives/needles, pain and your body involved.

so ok it's JUST like tires or hitches.
_________

the local arthritis foundation should have support and education resources...

so should the hospital and docs office and PT office, so get busy finding LOCAL info.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Thanks Maggie, I am thinking the same thing. My real worry was - could I get the the bathroom???? but the docs are saying the physical therapy people will be sure I can handle that. Also the docs office said they would not release me from the hospital until I could get around as needed. I think I would rather be down one time rather than two. Susan
Old 09-17-2010, 10:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
What I hear is that you're up generally the same day and in PT by the next, out of the hospital in 3-4 days so you would have assistance to the bathroom until you went home. Then, I would think a walker or crutches for awhile. I hear really good things about both knee and hip replacements.

Maggie
Old 09-17-2010, 11:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
thanks again Maggie, that is what I am hearing. We have a split level house and I think that for the first few weeks I will have to live downstairs. They have told me that I will have a walker for awhile.
PS have really enjoyed your Calif trip. And have found it interesting how you find the terraine, plants, etc beautiful. Since we have lived on the west coast all of our lives, we just think this is what the country looks like. Sounds like we need to travel more????
Old 09-17-2010, 11:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
2air, I have been living with bad knees for several years. I have tried other options, and wish that I would not have to have this surgery. My biggest issue is that we are retireing the end of the year and wish to travel and see what our wonderful country has to offer. I -at prresent can not walk for any liength of time. Cannot stand for any thing more than several minutes.
I know there are risks, but I want to walk through a musuem, strool trough a town and just walk pain free. Susan
Old 09-17-2010, 11:27 PM   #11
_

. , .
no need to justify 4 me or anyone else here.

life enhancement IS a good thing.

the first post includes the words "require" and "have to have"...

while it may just be semantics, my point is this is ELECTIVE surgery.
________

just do the homework now to avoid surprises.

or just go for it,

that approach seems to work out for many folks too.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:42 PM   #12

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
My mom had a single partial knee replacement done in 1998, when she was about 60. She wore that one out in about 10 years and then when compensating for it she damaged her unaltered knee. She loves line dancing and put off the full replacement of both knees until the pain got bad enough that she didn't want to dance.

Just at a year ago she had both knees replaced, and she's had a few problems since, but she's dancing and active and doesn't regret having them done. All of the doctors she's dealt with regarding the knee replacement said to wait until the pain before surgery got bad enough to be worth dealing with the pain of rehab that comes after surgery.

How well things turn out is directly dependent on how much effort you put into rehab.
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
2air, I have always enjoyed your point of view on all the topics on this forum since I have been folloowing it. I am now wondering what you are trying to tell me????Really???
You disappeared for a time, am I missing something?? Susan
PS, I will pm you with a hensley ? in about a week (we are off on a trip/tommorow
Old 09-17-2010, 11:56 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
dkb satx, thanks, did she have both knees replaced at the same time? But it is very encouraging that she is dancing.
I am looking forward to walking without pain, but know that rehab will be long.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:02 AM   #15
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by sempi2 View Post
...I am now wondering what you are trying to tell me????Really???
no hidden message, the post as written is the only message, really.

all the best whatever u decide.

lots of hensley helpers here so post the question and get the FULL bounty of advice.

cheers
2air'

Old 09-18-2010, 12:25 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Grand Prairie , Texas
Post Dear sempi2...

We feel for ya!
My brother Mel's wife Linda had her knees replaced and is like new! She's out there playing golf and tennis, as we speak!

Knowing and having a good doctor is of utmost importance!
The Best to you, and get back here and let us know how you are doing!
With Love
TRfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:29 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' International CCD
Hershey , Pennsylvania
Knee Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
total (or partial) knee replacement surgery is ELECTIVE surgery.

while it might at times seem like it's life saving,

the fact is it is life enhancing, when the outcomes are positive.

that means YOU have to elect to have this done and should approach it with due diligence.

but this shouldn't be confused with...

potentially life SAVING surgery (cancer/trauma) where few other options exist and TIME is critical.
________

-get a 2nd option from a different ortho group/doc,

-in fact get a 3rd opinion, possibly from a rheumatologist or physical medicine doc.

-learn what the alternatives are to knee replacement (there are at least 6)

-get CLEAR on the risks ALL of them, the recovery time and so on.

-find a few folks LOCALLY who have had this surgery...

not everyone has the SAME issues/outcomes but a sampling of patients is useful

(folks your same age/health/weight are best for comparison)

-talk with the physical therapists...

that YOU will eventually see after surgery, REALLY get their views on this.

-ask if you can VISIT the clinic when someone who has JUST had surgery is IN for therapy.

-many folks DO have both done at once and there are good reasons to take this approach.

but some/others DO have 1 done then sort out doing the 2nd.
________

this is complicated and important stuff.

it's really beyond the scope of an rv forum

and with ALL the same risksnconfusion as asking about tires or hitches...

except there's blood, knives/needles, pain and your body involved.

so ok it's JUST like tires or hitches.
_________

the local arthritis foundation should have support and education resources...

so should the hospital and docs office and PT office, so get busy finding LOCAL info.

cheers
2air'

2air, I am curious, what expertise would a "rheumatologist" have to offer based on the specific question that was asked to be answered? The question was "Anyone had both knees done at the same time?
Looking for your thoughts - help!!!!!!!!!!!!"

In addition, you are suggesting seeking a third opinion as a consult by health care professionals who I do not believe are credentialed to conduct orthopedic surgery. These other professionals you reference are very instrumental and often assist with the decision process leading up to determining if a replacement is necessary, however, the botton line is that only the orthopedic surgeon and the patient knows what is best for the patient. All patients are and should be encouraged to seek as much information as they can in preparation for any procedure or therapy. Once they find a surgeon they like and trust, THIS IS who they need to rely on for what is best for their well being instead of having multiple experts hanging on the sideline with everyone offering a different opinion. Don't send him on a wild goose chase. Let his surgeon take the lead in getting the necessary information. Thats one of many reasons his surgeon went to medical school!

Regarding your comments about elective surgery, you have obviously been hanging around a dermatology office too long! There are a significant amount of life saving joint replacement procedure taking place everyday. Just take a walk through your local hospital's oncology unit.

What sempi2 simply needs to do is to associate with an orthopedic surgeon who he feels comfortable with and who he trusts. Once he finds this, they will work together to obtain all the necessary information so the decision to do one or both joints at once is informed. His surgeon will put sempi2 in contact with the exact staff who will be involved in the rehab and follow-up care such as PT's, Physical Rehab, Physical Medicine, etc.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:04 AM   #18
_

. , .
the prior post was EDITED after most of this reply was typed,

that happens but can be confusing.

i will leave my reply intact and ADD a bit.

actually my post doesn't suggest 4th, 5th or 6th opinions...

and to suggest it does suggests u r reading from some other place or time or dimension.

and the op does include "looking for your thoughts"

which IS the nature of the reply i posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAgent007 View Post
...These other professionals you reference are very instrumental and often assist with the decision process leading up to determining if a replacement is necessary...
it would appear u have already answered your own questions above, good job!
________

nothing suggested IN my early post is out of line

nothing suggested is OUT side of standard practices.

there is PLENTY of evidence that patients who get ENGAGED in the process...

do better than those that just rely on the doc for help/info guidance.

if u have issues with some1 SEEKING careful/selective advice on an important procedure...

please get medical help...

cheers
2air'

Old 09-18-2010, 02:21 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
As one who has been through the process, I can tell you that several people are involved with the decision making process. I have Rhuematoid Arthritis and my Rhuematoligist was Very helpful along the way. Although the docs will tell you to wait as long as you can to have it ultimately it IS your decision. That being said Sempi2, when you do have the surgery and go to rehab, do your rehab diligently. Do your home exercises diligently. The effort you put in for 3-6 weeks of rehab will have consequences for many years. Want good results-fight through the pain of rehab and enjoy life. Get bad results-half a$$ the rehab effort and pay for it with still chronic pain but to a lesser degree. Some days it hurt so bad when I was done I would sit in the truck and cry, but it was worth it.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:24 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
I have had 4 hip replacements and 2 knee replacements. None at the same time.

Listen to your doctors. DO THE REHAB. Knees hurt to rehab, but push yourself to do it or you won't get a good result regardless of if you do them one at a time or together. One of my knees is excellent. The other one hurts but not nearly as bad as prior to surgery. I am still so happy I did it even though I still have a little pain. It is better than the alternative. My range of motion and strength are good because I did the rehab fully. I can't stress enough how important the rehab is. And it hurts to do it. But you have bad knee pain now, what's a little more, short term pain for a tremendous gain?

I was not a candidate for doing them both at the same time, so I can not speak to that. But I got my life back because of the surgeries. I love to hike. I don't do long, strenous hikes anymore, but I can do pretty much what I want, pain free. Well, except for the pesky back pain, but that's another story.

Much luck. Keep us posted on your progress.

All the best,
Caryl
Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote