Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2010, 08:22 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
All doctors are not created equal so do your research and try to talk to others who have experience with your surgeon.

No matter how bad you think the PT is (and it is rough) for long term it is extremely important.

Not everyone is a candidate for "both at once" and that is going to be between you your knees and the DR.

To answer your question "I don't know" having one knee was bad but both at once? Good news if all goes well you have it behind you in one shot and have less chance of hospital induced infection. Down side if one knee does not respond as well your over all recovery time will probably be longer than one at a time.

What ever you decide best of luck.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:36 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
I had my first total replacement in early March. All went much better than expected. I am now having knee 2 replaced October 13th. My surgeon refuses to replace both as the same time unless the cause is something like an auto accident. Sometimes, having one done will relieve the need for knee #2. But all of life's needs - getting out of bed, potty / shower issues & general mobility are affected and I personally am glad my surgeon wouldn't do both as the same time. The therepy required can be painful & you have to push yourself thru that to the achieve lasting results.

I understand the logic about having both replaced at the same time. Having been there - I wouldn't suggest it.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:54 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
A friend had both knees done about 3 months ago, and is ecstatic with the results. But- she was VERY athletic and motivated prior to, and after, the surgeries. She said it's pretty tough the first 2-3 weeks, but then she was driving her stick-shift car. She also did a lot of elective therapy during rehab, like rolfing, massage, accupuncture, etc. The point being, I guess, that it may work for you to have both done at once IF you take an aggressive, active approach to the rehab. Definitely not for the timid, I would guess. Best of luck from a fellow replacement candidate- tim
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:40 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Weather YOU decide to replace one or both at the same time one very important thing to consider is the fact that replacements are CONSTANTLY IMPROVING.

As mentioned above, go as long as you possibly can before replacing as even a one year longer wait greatly improves chances of having a 'better' one available and I've been advised this is something you don't want to do more than once.
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:53 AM   #25

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sempi2 View Post
dkb satx, thanks, did she have both knees replaced at the same time? But it is very encouraging that she is dancing.
I am looking forward to walking without pain, but know that rehab will be long.
Yes, she had both knees replaced on the same day. The downside of that is that BOTH knees are killing you during rehab, but the upside is that you only go under general anesthesia once. That's hard on the body, and as we age its effects get worse. Another thing the professionals say is that if you do one, go through the rehab for it and then think about going through it all again in a few months or a year, there's a strong temptation to chicken out about the second one.
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:59 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And, you know, regarding the rehab thing, in my opinion if you have 1, 1/12 or 2 bad knees, it is best to rehab (strengthen) them both to help in your overall stability.

It's what I did, and I am still independently doing strengthening exercises on both knees. It's a good thing.

Maggie
Old 09-18-2010, 06:42 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
versailles , Kentucky
Physical Therapist

Hi Sempi2 - I am a physical therapist who has been working with post op total joint replacements for many years. I have seen both ends of the spectrum. Younger patients who did not do well with one replacement and an 85 year old that was up and walking with a walker a few days after bilateral knee replacements. From my experience the most important things include - pre op education and strengthening exercise with a physical therapist, initiation of post op exercise and ambulation asap after surgery (we start many the first day after surgery), good post op pain control so that you can tolerate the exercise program and regain your range of motion as quickly as possible. I would also recommend a CPM. This is a constant passive motion machine that is oftentimes positioned and started while you are in the recovery room. It is crucial to regain your knee flexion (bending) as soon as possible after surgery. This and early weight bearing, I believe, are the best indicators of good long term prognosis. The pain you will have after surgery is very much different (I am told) than the pain from the damaged joint. The pain prior to surgery is from a lack of cartilage and bone on bone contact. The post op pain is due to the surgical procedure and that will resolve. I know I am biased but your physical therapist will be your best post op friend, even though they will ask you to do things that you think are impossible. I hope you can find a caring professional who you connect with to make your recovery a joyful experience. I wish you the very best.
hippiechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:36 PM   #28
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
For the DIY crowd:

Ran into a local man today whose late orthopaedist father was progenitor of the knee replacement (Jackson Upshaw Elsevier)

The story was that the Doc arrived home one evening ca. 1972 and went to work on a block of balsa wood with a folding knife out on the back porch . . one of those "beautifully simple solutions" emerged, and he had a friend (machinist/metalworker) bring it to scale for presentation to manufacturers. Time has certainly moved on:

Conceptualization to Completion

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/14/te...y/14print.html

(A good intro to 3D printing if one is not yet familiar with the phrase).

My 82-year old widowed mother recently had knee replacement. Quality of life is an apt beginning description as she is no longer "confined" in time & distance in re activities involving other people. There is alone, and there is alone.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:12 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Thank you all for your input to my question. Tommorow, Nov 1 (my birthday) I am going to have bi-lateral knee replacement. I will keep up my progress here. As grueling as it may be.
Hopeing that we will be back on the road again early next year, and I will be able to really enjoy all this great country has to offer. And meet many more "streamers".
Happy and safe camping to all. Susan
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:19 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
did you ask about aluminum replacement knees? lol

best wishes to you for success. make everyone changing bandages wash their hands with hot water and soap! keeping sterile is very important!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:57 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by sempi2 View Post
Thank you all for your input to my question. Tommorow, Nov 1 (my birthday) I am going to have bi-lateral knee replacement. I will keep up my progress here. As grueling as it may be.
Hopeing that we will be back on the road again early next year, and I will be able to really enjoy all this great country has to offer. And meet many more "streamers".
Happy and safe camping to all. Susan
Good for you! Your quality of life should improve immensely.

Keep us posted----some of us are looking at the same thing down the road.

Wishing you a speedy and uneventful recovery.

Maggie
Old 11-01-2010, 06:15 AM   #32
H2K
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Sidney , Ohio
I am going to see an orthopedic surgeon this week. Just got tired of planning my life around "how far a walk is it, is there somewhere to sit, and are there steps". Keep in touch and good luck with your surgery and recovery.

Kathy
TAC OH-12
H2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:24 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2K View Post
I am going to see an orthopedic surgeon this week. Just got tired of planning my life around "how far a walk is it, is there somewhere to sit, and are there steps". Keep in touch and good luck with your surgery and recovery.

Kathy
You know, the criteria here for knee replacement (and I am 61 1/2) is pain so bad you can't stand it.

That doesn't seem to be the case everywhere and I am wondering if it is our HMO rather than medical reasoning.

??

Maggie
Old 11-01-2010, 11:24 AM   #34

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
You know, the criteria here for knee replacement (and I am 61 1/2) is pain so bad you can't stand it.

That doesn't seem to be the case everywhere and I am wondering if it is our HMO rather than medical reasoning.

??

Maggie
That's the same recommendation my mom got from a couple of different orthopedists. The recovery is pretty tough stuff, so it needs to be bad enough before surgery to be worth 6 months of torture in physical therapy.

And yes, over a year later, she says it was worth it.
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:36 AM   #35
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I had my right knee scoped 5 years ago. It was getting difficult to walk and at one point my knee was so sore, jeans (being tight over the knee) increased the pain. Pain is certainly an indicator, but after X-rays and an MRI, my orthopedist said it looked as if the meniscus cartilage needed to be trimmed at some point. A shot of steroid into the knee helped a lot, but eventually surgery was necessary. The point is that pain is not the only indicator. I was able to find an orthopedist who took the time with me to fully discuss alternatives and by totally honest with me about what he saw.

After surgery he told me next time would be a knee replacement, so I have been very careful with that knee. When after a thorough investigation there's nothing left but a knee replacement, the recovery, often difficult, is a lot better than the loss of mobility.

Now my left knee eventually needs scoping, though the pain isn't as bad, and a steroid shot has kept the knife away for a while.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:53 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmmm. Good info.

I am being careful with my knees, but would enjoy the freedom that fully functioning artificial joints would bring.

Thanks,

Maggie
Old 11-01-2010, 06:48 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
West Linn , Oregon
Susan, I hope the surgery went well, and I look forward to seeing you ready to dance at a rally or two next year! Good luck!

Sharon
sharbours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:42 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
1961 16' Bambi
1956 16' Bubble
Potrero , California
Well, joined the knee replacement club last Monday. At 55, Partial on the right side. Six days later, feels great, walking again without assist. Extension is almost there with only a few degrees to go. Flexsion is about 75degrees, lots of work there but PT is happy. Looking forward to a two step dance for the 4CU New Years gig at Picacho...OK, maybe a hike to the top. I did ask about the Aluminum rivited knee cap, unavailabe at this time, shucks.
Take care of those knees folks!
The " TinDen "
2007 25' International FB
1961 Bambi, 16' California
1956 Bubble 16' California Whale Tail
Charter Member 4 Corners Unit
(View all of elfirebob's images)
elfirebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:15 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Sumner , Washington
Keep us posted please.......I am looking at the same thing.
howco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:16 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
1961 16' Bambi
1956 16' Bubble
Potrero , California
Three weeks later, tinkering again...

21 days later, knee feels great, smooth and tight. At this point, only PT, three times a day to regain strength. No off road yet but day walks are progressing nicely. Some lower back pain is being attributed to the change in gait, and some sympathetic tugging going on from surrounding muscles trying to help. The loss of muscle was staggering. I cannot believe the loss the first two weeks made. For now, happy with the call to get the work done, tinkering again is keeping my head screwed on straight, happy happy, joy joy...and virtually off all pain meds. Death Valley is calling!!!!Can;t wait to get camping again...
The " TinDen "
2007 25' International FB
1961 Bambi, 16' California
1956 Bubble 16' California Whale Tail
Charter Member 4 Corners Unit
(View all of elfirebob's images)
elfirebob is offline   Reply With Quote