Old 06-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Keystone Vantage

Have you guys seen the Keystone Vantage? It looks like a fiberglass Airstream! It's even painted gray! Thing is, the beast actually looks pretty nice! It's got Mor-Ryde suspension and a swank set of interiors. You can even get a bunkhouse model.

I thought I read on there somewhere where it had a rubber roof....but on edit I don't see that. Not sure if it has an epdm roof or not. If not, and the whole shell is fiberglass, this thing just might be worthy. Like a Casita all grown up

Don't get me wrong, I still like shiny aluminum best. But, I saw this thing in the Good Sam's magazine I got today and just looked it up online It's not bad!

Keystone Vantage | Gallery

Old 06-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I took a look at a couple of these at Camping World a couple of weeks ago. Pretty nice layouts and the construction looks very clean. Lots of bells and whistles.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
I haven't seen one in person but it looks nice. It looks like they are going after the AS crowd,

I wonder what the price points are? Like anything else it will have some problems. I like the 8" frame and the floor system. Anybody have an opinion about Keystone vs Thor in terms of quality and service satisfaction?

Fibreglass will fatigue over time and develop spider cracks in the gel-coat. I guess every product has some tradeoffs. How are the side panels attatched to the frame and will the fibreglass support these penetrations. It looks lower than my AS. I don't like that and even wish my AS was a little higher.

I just showed it to my wife, needless to say she gave me the raised eyebrow and said it looked like a cheap gucci knockoff, whatever the hell that means.

I'ts a new product and engineering sometimes can only be proven by use. It will at least need some design or structual tweeks. Trust me on that one. I'm sure lots of people will find this intriguing and give it a look. I might have if I was shopping now.

Dan
Old 06-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
See photos and comments in previous thread on same subject:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...hor-82828.html
Old 06-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Ah, maybe some competition from within......
Old 06-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
I haven't seen one in person but it looks nice. It looks like they are going after the AS crowd,

I wonder what the price points are? Like anything else it will have some problems. I like the 8" frame and the floor system. Anybody have an opinion about Keystone vs Thor in terms of quality and service satisfaction?

Fibreglass will fatigue over time and develop spider cracks in the gel-coat. I guess every product has some tradeoffs. How are the side panels attatched to the frame and will the fibreglass support these penetrations. It looks lower than my AS. I don't like that and even wish my AS was a little higher.

I just showed it to my wife, needless to say she gave me the raised eyebrow and said it looked like a cheap gucci knockoff, whatever the hell that means.

I'ts a new product and engineering sometimes can only be proven by use. It will at least need some design or structual tweeks. Trust me on that one. I'm sure lots of people will find this intriguing and give it a look. I might have if I was shopping now.

Dan
Looking online the list prices for the 25's are in the high 30's, but I've found one at a place called 'Pete's RV' that is a 29' for $24,990... it is their 'best buy'.

Certainly, for a new unit you will never find an Airstream in that size for less than double the price...

It looks nice in the photos... traditional looking... nothing revolutionary. If they are able to mark them down 30% right off the bat, that makes me wonder if there are issues, or if they just have that big a margin on them.

They have a 32' marked down to $25,990... again, no way you can go that big in Airstream for less than 3x the price....

I'm not sure the gel coat is a big issue. As long as the body doesn't flex on the chassis, it shouldn't crack any more than a boat would.... Knock-off or not, to get into a 32 footer for $25K is pretty sweet.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Friday, it will flex, and you know how boats are after four or five years the gel coat starts to lose it's lustre. I'd wait a year and see how they do. You're right the price points make them look very nice. It makes you wonder what the profit margin is on an AS.

Dan
Old 06-12-2012, 11:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Beautiful , Oregon
I was in one yesterday. The salesperson, who also sells Nash, arctic fox and others, liked the exterior but didn't have much good to say about the quality of the interior. I agreed. I bet it has a bunch of good quality. I thought the layout was nice.

Tony
Old 06-12-2012, 11:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
We saw them at the Tampa show this winter. Engineering looked pretty good at first glance but the door hinges looked weak. Windows were pretty cheap. They are buying appliances from same sources as Airstream. Trailer Life should do some testing and write ups. I do not know of any agency doing durability testing on RV's but we should be getting feedback from owners in a couple months.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Just a comment, but one shouldn't automatically assume that gel coat over fiberglass won't take a beating. It depends on the construction. Our Bayliner gets a real pounding when underway on rough water. However, the big difference is that a boat doesn't usually cruise at full throttle, 6-8 hours a day, for perhaps weeks at a time. Fuel consumption (measured in gallons per hour, instead of miles per gallon) automatically limits use.

I just realized, our cabin cruiser has taken a lot harder pounding in rough water than our Airstream ever did on rough roads. I have actually had my jaw slammed shut where I worried about broken teeth, and fallen down on occasion, due to the hard pounding while our boat was underway -- AND, the cabinet, closet and refrigerator doors all stayed attached and closed! Hmmmm... Maybe, land yachts should be built to marine specs.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Phoenix, maybe they should. Marine standards are dictated by in some cases the Coast Guard. On our fishing boats we get a yearly inspection. I'm not sure if there is even a governing body or set of standards regarding TT manufacturing. It seems like it's wide open. I've taken my lumps in boats as well so I know what you mean. The big difference si that the wall structure on this trailer will not be nearly as stout as your Bayliner. And despite some violent bounces on occasions water is a much smoother and forgiving medium to travel thru or on than concrete.

Dan
Old 06-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Looked at one in the 'glass!

I went and looked at one of these trailers the other day. The model I really like is the 32 bunkhouse, but the dealer only had one and sold it two weeks ago. They had a 32 front living room rear bedroom with the mid bath.

I have to say, I was impressed. It's a very nice looking coach. The body is wider than that of my '87 Avion, and it has a slideout to boot, which makes it that much wider again. Ceiling height is greater as well. And, it's lighter. Bellypan is enclosed to keep pipes from freezing (sound familiar??). The endcaps are very sleek, with the rear one looking like the tail end of a high end Class A motorhome. The front has a big integrated fiberglass cover that swings up on an oleo strut (as opposed to the telescoping old school rods with the screw in the middle like my older trailer has).

The frame looked pretty beefy, though not as stout as that on my Avion. Still, it looks totally up to the job. Shouldn't flex too much. It has Mor-Ryde suspension. One thing that surprised me was that it still runs on 15" wheels with D rated tires. Four of them. (I run six D rated 15" radials on my trailer). It has a nice large cargo trunk in the back under the bed that is accessible from both outside and from under the bed (again just like my trailer).

I got the dealer to print me out the frame information. BAL makes the frame for them and it looks good. I am not sure how the floor and shell attachments are set up. I may call Keystone and just talk to them about it.

The paint finish on it looked great. My only thing I really wasn't too keen on was the EPDM roof, but it does overlap the fiberglass walls by a full 7", so it'd take an awful lot to ever get a leak in through there. The roof has a 12 year warranty.

Awning looked to be about a 21 footer or so, just like I have now. It's made by Dometic (my five are all ZipDee, but this main one is about the same size as mine). The a/c is by Dometic.

One other thing I didn't like....it didn't have three vent fans. It had two vents that were simply holes, one in the salon and one in the bedroom, and only one vent fan in the bathroom. My old trailer had three Hammond fans which I just replaced with three Maxxfan Deluxe models. You could probably order three vent fans as an option.

Overall, it looks like a modernized version of what I'm towing now. It is roomier, but lighter in weight.

Pricing: List is $43K. The dealership got their first two in and were selling them at about $24,900. This is a one time promo he told me, just to get a few of them out there. They got one bunkhouse model and one salon model in at that price. Normal price is whatever you can get them down off $43K from.

Overall, it looks like a pretty nice coach. I'm going to stick with my 34X for awhile, but I really have my eye on the Vantage bunkhouse as my kids get older.

See ya on the road,
Old 06-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
My brother was ready to close on one, and he said during the walk through there was so much wrong, it was like it had been vandalized. Cancelled the deal, bought a "Cougar" or something
Old 06-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
I've only seen the one, and everything looked good on it. But like with everything else, you want one not built on a Monday or a Friday

Cougar is made by Keystone also. The dealership I looked at the Vantage at also carried Cougar.

I just put three new Maxxfan Deluxe vents on my 34 foot silver tube, so no new trailers for me for awhile!