Old 11-15-2005, 11:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
[I split this thread off from a forum rally thread when the topic turned to bikes and kayaks and fun stuff to do once your parked. Go ahead and continue! - Stefrobrts]

Ditto on the pics, Brad......I miss the place already! And I sure want to go back with a kayak on top of the Avalanche........I WILL KAYAK THAT RIVER!!

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Missed you guys!

Sigh... sounds like a great time! Can't wait for the next rally! Jim, I'd love to get kayaks too! Is it really a kayakable river? I remember the Columbia looked a bit windy and rough last time I was by.

I built up a new bicycle while I was idle with the family (steel, not aluminum!). Projects, projects....

Take care, loved the pics!
Marc

Old 11-16-2005, 12:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
Sigh... sounds like a great time! Can't wait for the next rally! Jim, I'd love to get kayaks too! Is it really a kayakable river? I remember the Columbia looked a bit windy and rough last time I was by.

I built up a new bicycle while I was idle with the family (steel, not aluminum!). Projects, projects....

Take care, loved the pics!
Marc
Marc,

The lower Deschutes is a great recreational (not whitewater) kayaking river....and the day we were there, the Columbia was smooth as silk! I'm still in the researching phase and plan to take out a few as rentals to try before buying. I could have bought a Wilderness Systems Pamlico 14' for $300 in Hood River, but thought that price wasn't the issue.......at my age it's comfort! My nearby kayaking venues are the coastal estuaries and some slow moving rivers like the Willamette and lakes. I'm not into Whitewater........Yet!!

PS show us some pics of your new bike!!

2017 28' Signature CCD

Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
Old 11-16-2005, 12:39 AM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
We have some friends who have an Old Town Loon 138T. It's a tandem kayak, so it's pretty big (16ft I think) and a little heavy to get to the water. We've played with it a bunch on the Lewis River and we just LOVE it. It's fast, manuverable, just seems like it would be so much fun to have and go looking for flatwater. I love the idea of getting out on some lakes and just sneaking around and watching the wildlife. Unfortunately they cost about $1000! So we haven't got one yet, but if we had the money, that's the way we'd go.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
kayaks

I've been researching the foldable/ inflatable kayaks, canoes for some time. Price is what's stopping me. I also like the idea of the portabote. Something I could put inside the van, instead of on top. I've rented some tandem/ tri's up here in Seattle. I'm with you Jim, no whitewater for me (although I think I'd like to try a river group tubing whitewater trip.... hey, that could be an idea for an Eastern WA forums trip out of Levenworth or Ellensburg next year... hint hint!). I like the tri's and tandems for their stability. I rolled a single without trying in Portage Bay... brrrr!

My bike (#4 for me). I found a frame with nice retro lines, curvy with a great paint job. I already have my racing/ touring bike, an older mountain bike, a '57 Raleigh three speed for grocery getting (heavy like a rock), and this new bike will be my one speed commuter. I put a moustache bar on it, and will look for a old fashioned Brooks leather seat for it. Sort of like a modern day version of an old racing bike.

Pretty much like this one, except with a green paint job that fades to gold in the sun. Add moustache bars, and this is it.
http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2005...ewBenardis.htm

Take care!
Marc
Old 11-16-2005, 01:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Sweet bike.....I like the simplicity..... and it must be fast!
Maybe this requires another thread.......like...... "toys you bring with your AS".... or "what do you do when the weather's nice"........or "how do you get away from the rally crowd"
Steph......the Old Town Loon must be a 16 fter and it is heavy at about 79#.........but you can carry 500# and it's affordable from GI Joe's!

Marc......I've also been looking at inflatables.....and almost bit on the Advanced Elements (tandem or solo) kayak Advanced frame 14' with aluminum bow and stern. But my goal is to do Paddle Oregon........and they do not allow inflatables on the 5 day trip down the Willamette River.......it's too slow.....and thus they will not allow on this trip. It certainly fits into the Avalanche and inflates fast, and is light.........but I want to keep up with the rest of the paddlers! I don't know how competitive you are....but from what I've heard inflatables are really slow.....even with the latest technology, and everyone has steared me away from them. Now if you're into family paddling.....inflatables may fit the bill!

So Marc the consensus is......you're on to find a rally site in your area (we all felt so sorry you have to travel so far for the rallies). Plus, I think we could draw some new Seattle area AS'ers if up in WA. Plus I'm looking for an excuse to get out of Oregon!
Steph....feel free to switch this discussion to another thread if needed......I don't know how!

2017 28' Signature CCD

Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
Old 11-16-2005, 01:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Hey!

I can do the WA thing! I'll start checking places out for a spring rally. I'll post a new thread when I get ideas.

So when / where is paddle OR, is this a multi day event? How much training are you going to do?
Sounds like fun! I'm getting more into the adventure idea of exercise. Keeps me around longer!

I like the "things we do when we're not obsessing on aluminum" thread idea!
Marc
Old 11-16-2005, 01:51 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Paddle Oregon

No date set yet.....but they do have a website.......so stay tuned.
It's usually about 5 days on the Willamette......during the summer......up to 34 miles a day......but from the looks of some of the paddlers.....most have six pack abs.......of the alcohol type.....so no great strain on the abdominals!
I'll keep you posted.
Now don't get me wrong......we don't want to put pressure on you to come up with a new rally site. There's Uberlanders (Jim & Kathleen, and Mel (Mel and Lee), and Janet and Gary, and several other forums members who can help you out to find a site. Just make sure they allow white gas to start the campground fire (in case Jonathan shows up)!

2017 28' Signature CCD

Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
Old 11-16-2005, 03:32 PM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
When we took a trip up to Gig Harbor one time, I thought the lower Puget Sound area was the most beautiful place I'd ever been. It would be great to go camp somewhere near the water and go kayaking there. And what's that other water near there, Hood Canal? It was all gorgeous!

Old 11-16-2005, 04:48 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Hey nice thread to start -stuff we do when we finally get out there.

We bought Kayaks for last years Anniversary - we considered the tandems - but then thought if we wanted just to go out on our own it would be difficult. thought about the wide beams ones - but heard they can be difficult to get any speed - and if inclimate weather catches you - you do want to put some water behind you quick.

So we settled with these babies. We were really lucky and picked them up for half price - year end sale.

But to involve the girls - we have to take another toy - the paddle boat - they just love it. We take them for a long swim first to one of the little islands close to us - then we paddle all around the bay - and they settle and sun bath. Taz has been known to let her tail drift and her paws hang over in the water as we go. Haily like the car loves to sit up the middle on the wheel housing.

We borrowed our neighbours (which came with the cottage they bought beside our lot) But with all four of us it was a bit dicey - if we hit any waves. So we bought a used one of the same type -a 5 seater. Lots of room now - and still only 60lbs roof weight.

On the topic of kayaks - if you did not put them on the car - could a free standing rack that came off the side frame from underneath - be possible - sort of like a reece bicycle rack but on the side and with kayak cradles instead - no wind resitance - and on the 61 Overlander we have a bit of width to play with. Nothing would actually touch the sides of the trailer. We will consider it more and may get a receiver of sorts welded to the frame - would be 80lbs plus the weight of the rack. If we balanced it we would have to make two - then she would look like a missile carrier

.....gosh a real picture of Peter and I - the Kayaks are 16' with a 23" cockpit.

Once you get your centre of gravity - they are pretty easy to handle - I would not want to play in anything other than flat water!!! - Like Steph we just love to see nature up front and personal. Marshes and inlets are really fun.

We have had the dogs in our tripping canoe - but that was a bit scary - they move around too much after the ducks in the water and if they can see the fish - but we have taught them never to jump out of any boat without a release comand. Good thing we have a wide beam canoe we have never been able to tip it before falling out ourselves.

Well any thoughts on the best way to carry our toys- or good spots to go paddle boating in Florida? (With the dogs) Not allowed on the beaches but there is no rule they can not be in the boat!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_8028.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	16399   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_8076.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	16400  

Name:	DCP_7670.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	16401   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_7675.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	16402  

Old 11-16-2005, 06:53 PM   #11
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Kayaks and bikes we love em in Meeshigan!

Ooh I'd love to go back to the NW. its so gorgeous out there. We have fun in the water in Michigan!
On kayaks: Wilderness system has some reasonable Pamlicos, nice and stable. Hubby even takes the little boy out in it without too much handwringing on my part.
Its a nice kayak, I love sea kayaks but they can seem tippy to a beginner, they sure track nice on the great lakes. Not that anyone would ever forget that they had their bikes and kayak up on the rack and try to go through a Burger King drive through like we did luckily nothing was upset but our pride...There was a warning sign that whacked the bikes on the outside. We had great luck with Yakima racks hauled the toys down to NC and back no problem.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Cool stuff!

I liked using the double and triple kayaks with our kids. Actually, Mona has never been out with me. I've rented kayaks from a great little Mexican resturant/kayak rental place on Lake Washington (go figure, but they've got great food and margaritas!). We go into the nature preserve and sneak up on the birds/turtles/and such.

Bikes....I'll have to go make some pics of my (two wheeled) babies.
Marc
Old 11-16-2005, 07:50 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 24' Tradewind
Silver City , Motorcourt
bringing it all along

Here is a photo from a recent adventure. Note the Kayaks on top and the bikes on the front, there is also a platform on a rear hitch on our 1961 Overlander. When we go by ourselves, we put the bikes either on the front of the tahoe, or use a bike rack on the back of the trailer.
We just purchased our kayaks this summer and love them. My husband has a 16'6" P&H, and I have a 14'6" Dagger. My husband just picked up a vintage Iver-Johnson 1940 model bike that he is restoring to take on trips. I have a boring Trek.
Usually, our trips revolve around finding beautiful "flat" water. No white water for us!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PICT1868c400.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	16417  

PEACE!

Holly
silvermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 09:31 PM   #14

1968 17' Caravel
How heavy are your kayaks, are they hard to get loaded onto roof racks? That's one thing that I worry about - it's no fun having a kayak if you wrench your back out getting it on and off the rack!

We also have a sevylor inflatable 'fish hunter', which is good for paddling and exploring. Best of all it's tough as nails, and fits in the back of the van - inflated! It's about 9 ft long. We haven't taken it on a AS trip yet, but we take it fishing at a nearby lake often. It's not fast, but it's roomy, and nice to fish from.