Old 11-21-2005, 08:44 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Kayaks

We have owned a canoe for 35 years because that's what Minnesotans do. Four years ago we kayaked in Ketchikan, Alaska in a tandem. That hooked us. The next year we bought two sea kayaks. I strongly recommend individual kayaks. More fun. If one rolls the other can help. You can go out solo if you so choose. No arguments on whether to go left or right.

Our first transportation vehicle was a Chevy Trailblazer and it was a tad too tall for us to load kayaks and then we had to open doors and step on the seats to get up to strap them down. Our second vehicle was our Titan pickup with the Nissan overhead carriers. With the Titan the kayaks are higher yet but we have no trouble loading and then we can hop up in the truck bed and strap them down easily. They stick out the back but when hitched to the airstream they don't touch. Here is our solution with Yakima saddles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TitanKayak.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	16563  

Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 11:33 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Austin , Texas
3 boats and 4 bikes

What's a vacation without the toys? We worked our way around Lake Superior this summer with three boats on top and four bikes in the back.

- Mark
Austin, TX
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Reunion087sm.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	16575  

Old 11-22-2005, 12:10 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi
These are a few we have rehabed ........

Are you into making a custom Canine carrier - can it be done???

We would love to go cycling with the dogs - one each - and have been checking out the kiddy carriers - to see if we could rig them up for the girls. Most are soft seats so we would have to make them more rigid and have either a full enclosure or a harness for them. A double would be good but the hubby would then be pulling 140lbs - the hills might get a bit tough. But that would free up a carrier for me to haul the supplies - like beer and sweets

anyway - since you are around bikes alot - do you have any ideas???
Old 11-22-2005, 12:20 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Dog carrier

Hello everyone.. including Sharon and Peter.. lol... We got an old child carrier ..pulls behind the bike..stripped it down to the frame..fastened some fence boards cut to the length of the dog crate and fastened the crate to the top.. would post a pic but bikes and carrier are in Canada and we are in the sunny south.. it worked and housed both our small dogs... they can see out.. first time out someone said " I hope there is no kids in there !"..lol Annie
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 12:55 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycampers
Hello everyone.. including Sharon and Peter.. lol... We got an old child carrier ..pulls behind the bike..stripped it down to the frame..fastened some fence boards cut to the length of the dog crate and fastened the crate to the top.. would post a pic but bikes and carrier are in Canada and we are in the sunny south.. it worked and housed both our small dogs... they can see out.. first time out someone said " I hope there is no kids in there !"..lol Annie

Must be nice just to sit around and post all day .

Ha ha your carrier - is but for dogs that weigh - what a couple of ounces

Somehow I think we would need something a bit bigger to fit a large dog crate on top of a kiddie carrier. Don't want a crate anyway - sort of like an Airstream have to keep that weight down. So rip stop nylon enclosure would be the route we would go for the top portion - with a fabricated aluminum frame.
Don't know why you went to Florida - it is Nov 22nd and we can still see the ground!!! - Okay so we have to now wear some warm clothes and stuff - and it is getting colder by the minute today - so I think we are in for it now.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:12 PM   #34
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Dog carrier? How about a dog scooter?

Sounds like your babies might be too big for a trailer, check this out, I'd like one for our lab (95 lbs of love) and her fifty pound bassett mix companion
http://www.dogscooter.com/dogscooter/scooters1.htm
Old 11-22-2005, 01:21 PM   #35
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Custom Canine Carrier Coming Up

Someone asked so here it is

You might also want to read Journals of the trip.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3-1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	16578  
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 01:24 PM   #36
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by tin sista
Sounds like your babies might be too big for a trailer, check this out, I'd like one for our lab (95 lbs of love) and her fifty pound bassett mix companion
Knowing my luck a squirrel or cat would show up at the time I was going by and they would go in oposing directions and I would get what was left over...pavement I have seen ideas like this before, but they do have their limitations...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 01:28 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by tin sista

YeeeeeHaaaaa - with my two nuts - they would pull me right through Paradise Park right bammmm into someones nice new 2006 Safari - then I would have to work for the rest of my life to pay for the damages - and all the while the girls had a hoot!!!!

Reason this came to mind -was because of last year at the same park - we had them clipped to something under the trailer - we had no idea it was only held by three 35 year old rivets - so when a nice gentleman walked by with his old ornary male that Taz took a disliking to she gave the stomp stomp stomp towards the dog with the good feafull barking and off this braket came - with a big bang which then scared the two of them to death - forgot the dog and took off across the road (not a real road thank goodness) with this thing clanking behind them - which just made them run faster away from it - they were on 15ft wire teathers.

They don't get tied up very often - and that is just one good reason why they don't. Rather have them on leads by my side - or they just hang out in the car with all the windows down - with their wal-mart kiddy bed.

I am sure we can figure something out - but we could try those harnesses in the winter on the marsh and an old tobogan - see how they do - won't be so scary as having a scooter following them.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:30 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Knowing my luck a squirrel ......
Aaron

I'm with you on that one - and I would not be on the pavement - I would be down the hole!!!
Old 11-22-2005, 06:23 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Wow!

An "xtra cycle!" I've been thinking of doing this to my old Cannondale MTB. How's it handle - does if feel much heavier (sans dogs of course)? I love it - I was thinking of doing this so that I could handle more groceries at the market with the bike.
Marc
Old 12-09-2005, 11:57 PM   #40

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Check out this kayak

http://www.oceankayak.com/frenzy.html

I saw some of these for sale (used) locally, and thought they looked like a neat little boat. It looks like it's wide enough to be stable for a beginner like me, plus they're short enough to pack into the van so I wouldn't have to get a rack and mount them on top. Any thoughts from experienced paddlers? Has anyone tried a sit-on-top kayak before? There's a place in Portland that rents these, so in the spring we might go rent a pair and see how we like them.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 07:31 AM   #41
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Sit on tops are fun...

They are fun, not super tippy. They can get chilly and a little wet--especially for paddle drips course that could just be me. Great idea to try them out first. Usually most kayak outfitters have "paddle days" where you can go and try out all the different kayaks for free. That's how we found the ones we liked. They haul the kayaks in and out, all you do is show up. Usually they have pfds too. Its a nice way to see them and there wasn't any pressure at the two paddle days we attended. Have fun!
Old 12-10-2005, 08:40 AM   #42
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Any thoughts from experienced paddlers? Has anyone tried a sit-on-top kayak before?
Stehanie, these kayaks are good in hot weather, as you're not enclosed by a cockpit. They have good stability, but can be awkward to keep in a straight line at first. (But then, so can any kayak) Any kayak design is a compromise between stability, speed, and directional stability. If you want to have some local fun in warm conditions these are good. If you want to travel 15 or more miles a day in choppy or cool conditions then other designs would be more suitable. Beware, if you get into the sport, you will need a different kayak for different conditions. We have eight, and I'm still looking for that perfect boat for my purposes! have fun.
Nick.