Old 11-16-2005, 10:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Bikes...

well, here's my latest... the color doesn't pick up well inside, but it does fade from green to gold.

Silvermoon - what do you do with the kayaks when you leave your campsite... how do you secure them? I'd love to see a pic of your husband's bike, what does it weigh? My Raleigh 3speed ('57) weighs something like 40 pounds (I weighed it, the bike shop workers just laughted!). It's a great winter workout, I don't have to go far to get sweating.
Keep paddling(pedaling)!
Marc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1804.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	16428   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1805.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	16429  

Old 11-17-2005, 02:23 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tin sista
Ooh I'd love to go back to the NW. its so gorgeous out there. We have fun in the water in Michigan!
On kayaks: Wilderness system has some reasonable Pamlicos, nice and stable. Hubby even takes the little boy out in it without too much handwringing on my part.
Its a nice kayak, I love sea kayaks but they can seem tippy to a beginner, they sure track nice on the great lakes. Not that anyone would ever forget that they had their bikes and kayak up on the rack and try to go through a Burger King drive through like we did luckily nothing was upset but our pride...There was a warning sign that whacked the bikes on the outside. We had great luck with Yakima racks hauled the toys down to NC and back no problem.
Tin Sista......why don't you show us some pics on how you travel with your kayaks......I'd love to see it in action too!

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 06:08 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 24' Tradewind
Silver City , Motorcourt
Stephanie-
The kayaks weigh between 45 and 50 pounds each. We love them!! The type of rack we use is made by Thule (I imagine other brands would have something similar). You slide the yaks up onto the roof from the back. There is a roller on the back part of the rack. I don't have any problem handling the weight to get them up there , the difficult part is that I am relativley short and when you get to the back of the kayak I'm not always tall enough to get it all the way forward. I little ladder solves this. I can do it by myself, but my hubby usually gets that job and I'm the tie down person. I'll post a photo when I get home from work tonight.

Marc-
I'll post some photos of his bike when I get home from work ( ) tonight. We are probably too trusting in camp. Most of the time the kayaks are unsecured!

sign me wanting to be paddling and pedaling!!

PEACE!

Holly
silvermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 06:21 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Steph;

Our Clearwater 16' are 40 pounds a piece. So it makes them pretty easy to carry around. We have not put them up top of the Yukon yet - but I am sure they would be manageable either together or by ourselves.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:30 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Thought I would throw in a few pics. of what we sometimes carry around. I installed training wheels on the long kayak after I rolled it a few time in not so nice water. We developed a set of transport wheels for the canoe because it is 90 lbs. and my wife does not like to carry her end. The Zokiac deflates to a reasonable size package an blows up with our 12 volt compressor. It will handle 10 hp. I also have a 9 foor recreational wide kayak which fits inside the 8ft bed of my truck. Rack is on the top of the cap for longer boats. Bike rack inside the cap keeps them out of the rain.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PICT0805.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	16437   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0803.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	16438  

Name:	PICT0694.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	16439  
Old 11-17-2005, 08:24 AM   #20
Rivet Master

[quote=silvermoon] My husband has a 16'6" P&H, and I have a 14'6" Dagger.quote]

Well Silvermoon, by coincidence, we also have a pale blue P&H Capella on the truck when towing our Airstream. If you need a little more speed to keep up with the longer Capella, how about a P&H Vela? Details are at http://www.phseakayaks.com/osb/itemdetails.cfm?ID=9
Your hand rolls would also be easier!
We also carry a tandem kayak, the Wilderness Systems North Star. This is the best roto-moulded tandem kayak we have found in the USA. It's surprisingly easily driven, handles waves well, and gives a very secure feeling to those who are unhappy with low initial stability. Last winter we paddled 340 miles in it in the Gulf of Mexico, the Everglades and the Florida Keys. We will be doing the same this winter. We use a roto-moulded kayak to cope better with abrasion from rocks and beaches. Details are at http://www.wildernesssystems.com/kay.../northstar.php

Perhaps we'll see you on the water!
Nick.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:55 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
My wife dream of a kayak ever since we visited Bay Beach on the Northern tip of Wisconsin sticking into Lake Superior. There were over 100 kayaks coming and going to the Apostle Islands just off shore. She enjoyed talking with them and getting their experiences.
As for me my recumbent trike is the best thing ever made. I am disabled and needed something stable when I stopped. However, there was no reason why I could not go on long bike rides. We take this thing everywhere we go, load up the back carrier with goodies and pedal away. I can go up any hill since it will stand at a stop and allow me to pedal real slow but watch out when I am going down hill. We even road through the Smoky Mt Natl. Park.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bikes.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	16440  
Old 11-17-2005, 09:05 AM   #22
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Photos of bikes/ kayaks

Hey this is a great thread, love to see all the kayaking and bike stuff. Hubby does the DALMAC ride to Mackinac from Lansing every year. On the kayaks--Oops I meant to say Pungo, a pamlico is on Santa's list tee hee guess I slipped!
We put the bikes on the outside (Yakima King Cobra) and the kayak in the middle (Yakima Hull Raiser) on its side. I hope the photos load ok. I can't find a photo with them all up together, we didn't shoot it but it does work. Yakima.com has a page that shows the configurations.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	shenandoah.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	16441   Click image for larger version

Name:	guys at wilderness.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	16442  

Old 11-17-2005, 09:12 AM   #23
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile One more picture--biking in the Smokies

On certain days the Cades Cove loop is closed in the mornings to cars so horses and bikes can tour. We did that here. Info at the website http://www.nps.gov/grsm/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bikes in smokies.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	16444  
Old 11-17-2005, 10:40 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Now there is something we could rig up for our puppies. A cargo hauler/trailer for the back of the bike. I will have to get a motorized bike to pull our babies at 75-80 pounds a peace - but sure would beat leaving them behind in the trailer - nother topic nother thread

Our's don't bark so we are lucky. But they just love to be with us - and for now they are our children - so we will try and do activities we can to include them - good thing we are sporty and like the outdoors
Old 11-17-2005, 08:43 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 24' Tradewind
Silver City , Motorcourt
Stephanie- Couldn't get photos of the rack- winter storage ! I think you can see it on www.thule.com. The other way I can load the yaks without help is to place the boat as far as I can from the back- then pull it forward with the front tie strap. Have done this- is pretty easy.

Marc-
Attached is a photo of the Iver-Johnson. I think that it is a little lighter than yours- but not by much! My husband doesn't have too much to do to it, the original finish is pretty good. The triangle kickstand is pretty cool.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PICT2303c400.jpg
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	16454  

PEACE!

Holly
silvermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 02:37 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
My long wheelbase Infinity is all aluminum (what else?) and is an early vintage 81-83 by the serial number. Low cost frame found on the internet in 1998 then the $1200 Ultegra drive trane.... be careful what you wish for. Kinda like finding a bargain Airstream!
Heavy? Heck yes! Anyone can ride a light weight bike. With it's plexi front fairing and coroplast tailbox this bike did 55.3 mph on one downhill in the rockies. The bike was wanting to go faster but common sense told me to scrub off some speed.
Check my photos for a look.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 10:24 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Wow....

Glen - that looks like a comfy ride. About 170 miles into Seattle to Portland (STP), I passed a couple of recumbents... man, it looked like a comfy armchair compaired to my hard post!

Silvermoon - I LOVE that style of bike. It looks like the old Harleys I saw at the BMW motorcycle museum in Vegas some time ago. I was looking at Brooks' UK site. They sponsor a recreation ride of the old racing bikes in Italy each year. This picture reminds me of the bikes used back then. My onespeed is trying to recreate the look used back then.

Yes, each is such a workout. My Raleigh gives me the equivelant of a 20mile ride in about 6 miles. I laugh out loud each time I'm on it. Such a totally different style of riding.... just enjoying the outdoors.
Thanks for the pics!

Here's me and my friends about to start STP. The other is the boat I have that I wish I could take with my Argosy. That's my German nephew that wishes the boat was his!
Marc
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0287.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	16530   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0359.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	16531  

Old 11-21-2005, 08:38 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
A Few Bike pictures

These are a few we have rehabed and some we take along. If we only have room to take two we take the aluminum Trek multicross city bike and the Schwin aluminum mountain for my wife.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PICT0365.jpg
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	16536   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0607.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	16537  

Name:	bikes1.jpg