Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2015, 07:34 AM   #741
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn S. View Post
My husband and I are kayakers and we just recently bought an Air Stream to further indulge the habit! We're interested in finding like-minded folks.

We're planning a trip to the South Carolina / Georgia coast in the late fall for camping, kayaking and fun! If anyone out there wants to join us, please do.

We'll be at the following campgrounds on these dates:

Huntington Beach SP, SC: October 23 - 26
Skidaway Island SP, GA: October 26 - 29
Crooked River SP, GA: October 29 - 31.

We'll be paddling unless the weather turns rotten or the tides aren't favorable. We're not hard-core paddlers. We're just in it for the fun!

Lynn
Chances of paddling look somewhat diminished based on shoulder surgery later this summer, but for what it is worth here is a post from a trip I made to Little Tybee Island - beautiful area the coast of GA/SC. Watch the tides, bring a map and enjoy!

Little Tybee Island (GA) – April 2014 | travelwiththeslowskys
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:44 AM   #742
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Another reference point for anyone interested in paddling and visiting the Georgia coast... a post from a trip I took in 2013.

Altamaha River Trip – March 2013 | travelwiththeslowskys
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

Old 06-26-2015, 12:12 PM   #743
Airstreamer in Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Just sold my Carolina 14 the other day because I didn't like it. It had ZERO rocker and you almost had to get out and physically turn the thing to get it to change directions.

Now I'm trying to figure out what to replace it with, and having trouble finding something the size I want (sit inside touring above 14', and capable of carrying 325-350lbs) with a large enough cockpit for me to get into. I'm 6', 220lbs.

Any suggestions?
Santee 126 SPORT - Hurricane Kayaks - Lightweight Kayaks for Fishing and RecreationHurricane Kayaks – Lightweight Kayaks for Fishing and Recreation
Old 07-05-2015, 11:19 AM   #744
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
The wife and I just got a Jackson Big Tuna kayak. We have the Malone Saddle-Up rooftop carriers and they work quite well. I found some YouTube videos for the Big Tuna and my 4Runner, very happy about that.

What I'm not finding is a definite "proper" method of storing my kayak. Jackson (and some other manufacturers) say the best way is to store it vertically, that it puts less stress on the kayak. Well, the Big Tuna is 14' long and the garage ceiling is only 10', so that's out.

Hanging from the ceiling is supposed to be the worst way, but that's if you hook up the bow and stern. I haven't seen anyone make a cradle that suspends and holds the kayak. I was thinking about doing that but wanted an opinion.

I also thought about making a cradle on the floor, multiple supports, and sliding the kayak into that. But storing it flat or upside down is supposed to be bad too, although no mention about supporting it in a cradle.

Finally, the best alternate method is to store it off the floor, on its side, bottom against the wall and side in the cradle, supported by foam.

For now, because i have to leave for a week, I'm going to put it on the side, bottom against a wooden rack and put some memory foam under the side to provide a cushion.

I'd love to hear if any of you have a large fishing kayak and how you've supported it in storage. I'd also like to know if there are any stories of bad support strategies. Thanks for your help
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:51 AM   #745
Rivet Master

You could use a tarp material to make a hammock for it, and sling the hammock from the roof, using one of the many systems to raise kayaks in that way: Kayak and Canoe Hoist | Ceiling Rack - StoreYourBoard.com
Nick
Old 07-05-2015, 10:15 PM   #746
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst View Post
You could use a tarp material to make a hammock for it, and sling the hammock from the roof, using one of the many systems to raise kayaks in that way: Kayak and Canoe Hoist | Ceiling Rack - StoreYourBoard.com
Nick
I think I'm going to need some kind of hoist. I got some web straps from Lowe's today and it took most of the afternoon to drill and hang them. These straps have to be done one by one; very slow. They are 1.5" wide and using 4 of them seems to do a nice job of supporting.

Thanks for the link, when I get back from an upcoming trip I'll have a project to get it stored with something more permanent.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 07-06-2015, 04:54 AM   #747
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I use large tie down straps from the trucking industry, can be purchased at Home Depot or Lowes. I fasten to the bottom of our deck and slip the boats in them as a cradle. Hang there year round. Been that way for about five years, don't see any issues, but I do have cockpit covers for all the boats to keep stuff and animals out.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:09 AM   #748
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Well, the Big Tuna is 14' long and the garage ceiling is only 10', so that's out.

I haven't seen anyone make a cradle that suspends and holds the kayak. I was thinking about doing that but wanted an opinion.

Thanks for your help
I made two cradles, covered the runners with outdoor carpets, one in in the back of the pickup and the other is suspended with a pulley system that I can lift it by myself. I can lower it to the level of the pickup bed and slide it.

Using runners that support the flat area of the bottom has to be the best way not to deform the yak when stored for a long time.

Besides length from open garage door you will use up about 4 ft of your air space, I am less than 6ft so it works for me
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:40 AM   #749
3 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
kansas city , Missouri
Jackson Cuda 12 new to me june 2015
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	386.4 KB
ID:	242325
indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:00 AM   #750
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
I made two cradles, covered the runners with outdoor carpets, one in in the back of the pickup and the other is suspended with a pulley system that I can lift it by myself. I can lower it to the level of the pickup bed and slide it.

Using runners that support the flat area of the bottom has to be the best way not to deform the yak when stored for a long time.

Besides length from open garage door you will use up about 4 ft of your air space, I am less than 6ft so it works for me
Thanks, Dave. Can you snap a picture of the garage setup and post it here?

I'm thinking of 3 different approaches.
1 - What you did, build a cradle for the kayak to lay on its bottom, use a hoist on the 4 corners to raise it up to the ceiling (I have 10' ceiling in the garage).
2 - Make a sling system to hang it with bottom against the garage wall. Use a pulley system to raise and lower it. The wall it needs to go on is either exactly as long as the kayak or just short of it. It's going to be close.
3 - Make a cradle so the kayak lays on its side or bottom, the cradle is on wheels to let it roll underneath a storage area. I'd have to take the kayak out the garage side door and bring it around to the front. This would be a pain in the winter, getting ready for the Florida trip.

I'd like to do option #1 but everything I've read says that letting it lay on its bottom is the worst position. The second best is on its side.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 07-06-2015, 08:22 AM   #751
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
I use large tie down straps from the trucking industry, can be purchased at Home Depot or Lowes. I fasten to the bottom of our deck and slip the boats in them as a cradle. Hang there year round. Been that way for about five years, don't see any issues, but I do have cockpit covers for all the boats to keep stuff and animals out.
Thanks, that's what I did yesterday. I got those yellow straps (see above picture) from Lowes. They're 16' long and 1.5" wide, $19 per set of 2. It's supporting it quite nicely but it's a pain to raise and lower. I need some kind of lifting system. I'm thinking of something like those chain pulleys for garage doors.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 07-06-2015, 11:22 AM   #752
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I use a boat trailer winch for a canoe hoist in my barn. The winch is fastened to the wall/post. I have two cables attached to the winch drum which lead parallel up to the ceiling to two pulleys. From there the two cables split to two more pulleys on the ceiling spaced apart to support the canoe closer to the ends. The ends of the cables are fastened to horizontal bars that support the canoe upside down.
I can load and unload the canoe from my pickup by just turning the winch handle.
Should work fine for a kayak, also.

Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:24 PM   #753
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by samb View Post
I use a boat trailer winch for a canoe hoist in my barn. The winch is fastened to the wall/post. I have two cables attached to the winch drum which lead parallel up to the ceiling to two pulleys. From there the two cables split to two more pulleys on the ceiling spaced apart to support the canoe closer to the ends. The ends of the cables are fastened to horizontal bars that support the canoe upside down.
I can load and unload the canoe from my pickup by just turning the winch handle.
Should work fine for a kayak, also.

Sam
The dealer said rotomolded kayaks cannot be stored by connections at the bow and stern. The plastic will bend and warp. They said the best way is to store on its end but I don't have the room. The boat crank might still be doable, however, if I can make some kind of cradle. Thanks for the tip, definitely cheaper than some of the other things I've looked at.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 07-08-2015, 06:34 AM   #754
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
The dealer said rotomolded kayaks cannot be stored by connections at the bow and stern. The plastic will bend and warp. They said the best way is to store on its end but I don't have the room. The boat crank might still be doable, however, if I can make some kind of cradle. Thanks for the tip, definitely cheaper than some of the other things I've looked at.

I have stored my first two Wilderness System kayaks from straps anchored to the garage wall, this has worked well for 15 years. Pain to load - they're stacked one above the other. The new WS Aspires are hanging from the ceiling, hooked to bow and stern. Having been in the plastics industry, I agree with the warning not to hang this way! These kayaks are short and very rigid so I've not experienced any miss-shaping of the hulls after a couple of years, but I will convert my system to straps holding the hulls. Better for the long run.

Thanks for the reminder!
Old 07-08-2015, 07:16 AM   #755
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Westport , Connecticut
Yay Kayakers!!! I am debating whether to pile my 14' kayak on to the truck for our 10 month journey. It's a shame to put it into storage!!!

Your kayaks are GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!! The wood...sigh, so beautiful! Thanks for sharing and starting this thread!

Kira
KiraR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:33 AM   #756
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraR View Post
Yay Kayakers!!! I am debating whether to pile my 14' kayak on to the truck for our 10 month journey. It's a shame to put it into storage!!!

Your kayaks are GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!! The wood...sigh, so beautiful! Thanks for sharing and starting this thread!

Kira
We got ours to take on the road with us since we can't take the bass boat. Our last trip was to Florida for a month, surrounded by water and no boat. We rented a canoe but it's not the same. I've gone just 35 miles with it on the roof of the SUV but it seems pretty stable. We intend on trying it out locally several times then take off this fall.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 07-08-2015, 07:48 AM   #757
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
Over last 20 years, have found storing my kayaks flat on ground and out of direct sunlight is best. Sun will be the biggest issue that leads to warping, especially if you got pressure points. Flat on ground, or improvised shelf or table is my suggestion. Saw online a while back some nice fold down wood cradles for garage walls. About $150, but very nice stuff with wood and seatbelt strap material. Above all else, keep out of sun. We wipe ours down yearly with Aerospace 303 as well. Overtime, it matters. We have a 20 year old Tandem WS, two 10 year old WS Pungos, and two new Nucanoes. All are in very good shape. Just take some basic precaution to avoid hull warpage and UV damage.

Dan
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:52 AM   #758
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danattherock View Post
Over last 20 years, have found storing my kayaks flat on ground and out of direct sunlight is best. Sun will be the biggest issue that leads to warping, especially if you got pressure points. Flat on ground, or improvised shelf or table is my suggestion. Saw online a while back some nice fold down wood cradles for garage walls. About $150, but very nice stuff with wood and seatbelt strap material. Above all else, keep out of sun. We wipe ours down yearly with Aerospace 303 as well. Overtime, it matters. We have a 20 year old Tandem WS, two 10 year old WS Pungos, and two new Nucanoes. All are in very good shape. Just take some basic precaution to avoid hull warpage and UV damage.
Dan
Thanks, Dan, we are storing it inside the attached garage. Wall space is really limited because of the length of ours; 14'. I have a large wall on one side but that's where the bass boat is parked and I'd have to move the boat out (a pain) or bring the kayak over the top of the bass boat (bigger pain). On the third side is my storage shelf, which is where it's hanging now. Somehow, I'm going to suspend it on its edge from the ceiling or some kind of contraption offset from the wall.

Thanks for the tip on the 303, added to my shopping cart.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 07-08-2015, 02:19 PM   #759
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraR View Post

Kira
A 10 month trip and you're thinking you might not bring your kayak? Yikes! Having said that, we took a 3 month trip ourselves and for various reasons our boats never got wet. At a minimum, what's it going to hurt to bring them???

Old 07-08-2015, 02:29 PM   #760
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
Not a kayak, but darn safe and easy to transport. Our Porta Bote. When folded up, only 4" thick and 55 #. And if you happen to have a 3.5 HP OB + lots of fun.

>>ron<<
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	potrta bote (1).jpg
Views:	127
Size:	278.8 KB
ID:	242450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Porta-Bote (1).jpg
Views:	106
Size:	345.0 KB
ID:	242451  

Tags