Old 07-08-2015, 08:48 AM   #757
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
Over last 20 years, have found storing my kayaks flat on ground and out of direct sunlight is best. Sun will be the biggest issue that leads to warping, especially if you got pressure points. Flat on ground, or improvised shelf or table is my suggestion. Saw online a while back some nice fold down wood cradles for garage walls. About $150, but very nice stuff with wood and seatbelt strap material. Above all else, keep out of sun. We wipe ours down yearly with Aerospace 303 as well. Overtime, it matters. We have a 20 year old Tandem WS, two 10 year old WS Pungos, and two new Nucanoes. All are in very good shape. Just take some basic precaution to avoid hull warpage and UV damage.

Dan

Old 07-08-2015, 09:52 AM   #758
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danattherock View Post
Over last 20 years, have found storing my kayaks flat on ground and out of direct sunlight is best. Sun will be the biggest issue that leads to warping, especially if you got pressure points. Flat on ground, or improvised shelf or table is my suggestion. Saw online a while back some nice fold down wood cradles for garage walls. About $150, but very nice stuff with wood and seatbelt strap material. Above all else, keep out of sun. We wipe ours down yearly with Aerospace 303 as well. Overtime, it matters. We have a 20 year old Tandem WS, two 10 year old WS Pungos, and two new Nucanoes. All are in very good shape. Just take some basic precaution to avoid hull warpage and UV damage.
Dan
Thanks, Dan, we are storing it inside the attached garage. Wall space is really limited because of the length of ours; 14'. I have a large wall on one side but that's where the bass boat is parked and I'd have to move the boat out (a pain) or bring the kayak over the top of the bass boat (bigger pain). On the third side is my storage shelf, which is where it's hanging now. Somehow, I'm going to suspend it on its edge from the ceiling or some kind of contraption offset from the wall.

Thanks for the tip on the 303, added to my shopping cart.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:19 PM   #759
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraR View Post
Yay Kayakers!!! I am debating whether to pile my 14' kayak on to the truck for our 10 month journey. It's a shame to put it into storage!!!

Your kayaks are GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!! The wood...sigh, so beautiful! Thanks for sharing and starting this thread!

Kira
A 10 month trip and you're thinking you might not bring your kayak? Yikes! Having said that, we took a 3 month trip ourselves and for various reasons our boats never got wet. At a minimum, what's it going to hurt to bring them???
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:29 PM   #760
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
Not a kayak, but darn safe and easy to transport. Our Porta Bote. When folded up, only 4" thick and 55 #. And if you happen to have a 3.5 HP OB + lots of fun.

>>ron<<
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	potrta bote (1).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	278.8 KB
ID:	242450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Porta-Bote (1).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	345.0 KB
ID:	242451  

Old 07-08-2015, 08:36 PM   #761
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by carver 1 View Post
Not a kayak, but darn safe and easy to transport. Our Porta Bote. When folded up, only 4" thick and 55 #. And if you happen to have a 3.5 HP OB + lots of fun.

>>ron<<
I got some literature on the Porta Bote and considered it because of the compact size. We went with the fishing kayak because it had more features. Both of them were really close in price. I've seen the Porta Bote on the water up in Wisconsin and the gentleman had an outboard on it, maybe 5 HP. He said it was very stable and he felt safe in it.

I think if you just need something to get out on the water, mostly a boat ride, it's an excellent alternative to a regular boat.

I came across a video from somewhere in Europe where a couple of guys had put an outboard on the model of kayak I bought. They were laughing and just driving it all around. It was mounted on an offset behind the back seat. It looked like an accident waiting to happen. Alcohol may have been involved or maybe they were just having a good time.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

Old 07-08-2015, 11:22 PM   #762
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
West Richland , Washington
Kayak wall rack

I store my fiberglass sea kayak on a wall rack with slings made by Talic (talic.com). The wall rack is at the same level as the car rack so I extend the outriggers on my Thule rack, slide the boat over, then move it into the saddles. I do have one pulley on the ceiling with a rope that hooks on the front toggle. It just holds the boat steady as I move it over but it's loose during storage.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:21 AM   #763
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaroloRed View Post
I store my fiberglass sea kayak on a wall rack with slings made by Talic (talic.com). The wall rack is at the same level as the car rack so I extend the outriggers on my Thule rack, slide the boat over, then move it into the saddles. I do have one pulley on the ceiling with a rope that hooks on the front toggle. It just holds the boat steady as I move it over but it's loose during storage.
That's like the Lexus of boat storage systems. Very nice, looks like good quality

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

Old 07-09-2015, 10:26 AM   #764
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Kayak with outboard

I can't find the one I want but here's a tame video of Jackson's Big Tuna with an outboard

3.3 HP

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

Old 07-09-2015, 11:28 AM   #765
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaroloRed View Post
That's the high end wall rack I was thinking of as I recall.

As for motors, check out the Suzuki 2.5 hp. We looked into those for our NuCanoes. But pretty happy with the 45 lb thrust Minn Kota trolling motors for now. One thing to keep in mind with a motor on a yak, you are limited by the hull design. 4 hp will not go faster than 2.5 hp in some instances. I favor the lighter outboard with internal fuel tank. Which the Suzuki 2.5 hp has. I looked at 4-5 hp thinking it could do double duty on our rafts in some fishing scenarios, but these heavier motors with separate fuel tanks would be less desirable on our kayaks.

The Porta Bote is neat if you got a place to store it. If space is an issue, check out Ally pack canoes, made by Bergans of Norway. Been used in expeditions all over the world for 1/2 century. They make 15, 16.5, and 18 footers. My 16.5 footer holds 800 lbs, fits in a large backpack, weighs 45 lbs, and can be assembled in 15 minutes with two people. Got two custom made Aquabond two piece canoe paddles that fit in backpack.

We use it, or one of our two Sotar whitewater rafts with rowing frames, on yearly remote float trips in Alaska. Fly to Anchorage, then Nome, Kotzebue (NW), or Dillingham or Bethel (SW). Then 2-3 seater bush plane flies us out 50-100 miles, we float 70-120 miles over 7-14 days, fly fishing and camping our way down river to a predetermined area where plane can land and pick us up for return flight to whatever hubtown or village we left from.

Great way to see wildlife, great fishing, and scenery. Nice to stay 2-3 days in same spot if fishing is good, or weather is down. Just do what you want. Best part is solitude. Never see a sole. We lived in Alaska for two years, three different areas, working as travel nurses. That's what got us doing these remote float trips, been doing them since 2003.

Anyway, got off topic. Just pointing out this is an impressive canoe. Carries us at 500+ lbs, with 200 lbs of gear, food, guns, photography equipment, etc. The Ally canoe is very tough and portable. Folbot is a similar product (copy) that's made in US. High end stuff either way. Folbot And feather fraft (high end portable yaks) make folding kayaks. Not like the Porte-Bote, they are frames and skins you assemble like our Ally pack canoe.

Dan
Old 08-30-2015, 05:35 PM   #766
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
I decided to store my kayak in the garage ceiling. I tried a pulley configuration but the nylon rope didn't do well, I wrestled the thing for almost 1.5 hours and still wasn't happy with the way it stored and how much effort it took. The Jackson Big Tuna is a beast, 14'1" long and 90 lbs. empty. I wanted a better / faster way.

We are considering an addition to the back of the house. If we do, I'll add something so I can just wheel the kayak into that room. In the meantime, I got a 1 ton hoist (10' lift) from Harbor Freight for about $39 with 20% coupon. I already had the 250 lb. eye hooks but I got a stainless, 500 lb., 4.5" long 3/8" eye hook from Home Depot.

I placed 4 smaller eye hooks in the ceiling, 2 16" apart on each end with 32" space between the inner ones. The larger hook, for the hoist, is between the two inner hooks. This allows me to use 2 straps on the hoist and kayak until I get it to the ceiling, then hook the end straps to the ceiling hooks and when they are secure, transfer the inner straps from the hoist to the inner ceiling hooks. The hoist rotates on both hooks so I can offload the kayak to the garage floor, hook up, raise it above my bass boat, then rotate it 90 degrees and finish raising it to the ceiling.

Start to finish is about 15-20 minutes; a great improvement. It's out of the way and fairly easy to raise or lower. Not perfect, but it works.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

Old 09-02-2015, 03:17 PM   #767
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
I forgot to post about the great South Bass Island Kayak Rendezvous we had back in June. Lake Erie is a great place to paddle, especially out around the Bass Islands. We had over 100 paddlers there. I got in 18 miles on Friday, and then the winds picked up to about 18 knots on Saturday so I stayed along the leeward side of the island. Many brave soles did circumnavigate the Islands on Saturday though. Here is a shot I took Friday evening, and a short video of the event by Donal Bray. I did not ferry the Airstream to the island, but instead enjoyed my little tent which is at the top of the hill in the picture. I really do love sleeping in a tent on a windy and stormy night.

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 09-02-2015, 03:50 PM   #768
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
On The Road To Wherever We End Up , Traveling the USA
Need some help/advice...I have a Ford Super Duty crew cab with cap. I have two kayaks and use the Thule Hulavator...works great. My problem is that the "feet" on the cab are constantly moved, sometimes forward , sometimes back, yes they are tied down to TV.

Anyone have this problem? Your solution?

Anyone permanently attached a track to your vehicle cab roof ( like on my Leer Cap )?

I have just returned from 2 months in Newfoundland and currently in Nova Scotia. Tried to send Thule an email regarding my problem...no response.

Thanks in advance,
John

https://instagram.com/silvereagle3100/
SilverEagle6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:34 PM   #769
Storm Master

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
I use a single Yakima tower and bar for the cab to go with the two bars on the cap. F250 crew cab. Seems to stay put. Only concern I have is when I have to four wheel it over rough terrain, will the flex between the cab and bed be too great. So far no problems. I only carry a Mad River 14 ft. Canoe on it right now.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:54 PM   #770
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Sky;

Looks like a fun paddle, nice video, I need to learn how to edit the video's I have. Got hours of it.
Thanks for posting. They got Epic's back there huh?

Tags
kayak