Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2015, 07:36 PM   #761
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by carver 1 View Post
Not a kayak, but darn safe and easy to transport. Our Porta Bote. When folded up, only 4" thick and 55 #. And if you happen to have a 3.5 HP OB + lots of fun.

>>ron<<
I got some literature on the Porta Bote and considered it because of the compact size. We went with the fishing kayak because it had more features. Both of them were really close in price. I've seen the Porta Bote on the water up in Wisconsin and the gentleman had an outboard on it, maybe 5 HP. He said it was very stable and he felt safe in it.

I think if you just need something to get out on the water, mostly a boat ride, it's an excellent alternative to a regular boat.

I came across a video from somewhere in Europe where a couple of guys had put an outboard on the model of kayak I bought. They were laughing and just driving it all around. It was mounted on an offset behind the back seat. It looked like an accident waiting to happen. Alcohol may have been involved or maybe they were just having a good time.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:22 PM   #762
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Sequim , Washington
Kayak wall rack

I store my fiberglass sea kayak on a wall rack with slings made by Talic (talic.com). The wall rack is at the same level as the car rack so I extend the outriggers on my Thule rack, slide the boat over, then move it into the saddles. I do have one pulley on the ceiling with a rope that hooks on the front toggle. It just holds the boat steady as I move it over but it's loose during storage.
BaroloRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:21 AM   #763
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaroloRed View Post
I store my fiberglass sea kayak on a wall rack with slings made by Talic (talic.com). The wall rack is at the same level as the car rack so I extend the outriggers on my Thule rack, slide the boat over, then move it into the saddles. I do have one pulley on the ceiling with a rope that hooks on the front toggle. It just holds the boat steady as I move it over but it's loose during storage.
That's like the Lexus of boat storage systems. Very nice, looks like good quality
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 07-09-2015, 09:26 AM   #764
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Kayak with outboard

I can't find the one I want but here's a tame video of Jackson's Big Tuna with an outboard

3.3 HP
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 07-09-2015, 10:28 AM   #765
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaroloRed View Post
That's the high end wall rack I was thinking of as I recall.

As for motors, check out the Suzuki 2.5 hp. We looked into those for our NuCanoes. But pretty happy with the 45 lb thrust Minn Kota trolling motors for now. One thing to keep in mind with a motor on a yak, you are limited by the hull design. 4 hp will not go faster than 2.5 hp in some instances. I favor the lighter outboard with internal fuel tank. Which the Suzuki 2.5 hp has. I looked at 4-5 hp thinking it could do double duty on our rafts in some fishing scenarios, but these heavier motors with separate fuel tanks would be less desirable on our kayaks.

The Porta Bote is neat if you got a place to store it. If space is an issue, check out Ally pack canoes, made by Bergans of Norway. Been used in expeditions all over the world for 1/2 century. They make 15, 16.5, and 18 footers. My 16.5 footer holds 800 lbs, fits in a large backpack, weighs 45 lbs, and can be assembled in 15 minutes with two people. Got two custom made Aquabond two piece canoe paddles that fit in backpack.

We use it, or one of our two Sotar whitewater rafts with rowing frames, on yearly remote float trips in Alaska. Fly to Anchorage, then Nome, Kotzebue (NW), or Dillingham or Bethel (SW). Then 2-3 seater bush plane flies us out 50-100 miles, we float 70-120 miles over 7-14 days, fly fishing and camping our way down river to a predetermined area where plane can land and pick us up for return flight to whatever hubtown or village we left from.

Great way to see wildlife, great fishing, and scenery. Nice to stay 2-3 days in same spot if fishing is good, or weather is down. Just do what you want. Best part is solitude. Never see a sole. We lived in Alaska for two years, three different areas, working as travel nurses. That's what got us doing these remote float trips, been doing them since 2003.

Anyway, got off topic. Just pointing out this is an impressive canoe. Carries us at 500+ lbs, with 200 lbs of gear, food, guns, photography equipment, etc. The Ally canoe is very tough and portable. Folbot is a similar product (copy) that's made in US. High end stuff either way. Folbot And feather fraft (high end portable yaks) make folding kayaks. Not like the Porte-Bote, they are frames and skins you assemble like our Ally pack canoe.

Dan
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 04:35 PM   #766
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I decided to store my kayak in the garage ceiling. I tried a pulley configuration but the nylon rope didn't do well, I wrestled the thing for almost 1.5 hours and still wasn't happy with the way it stored and how much effort it took. The Jackson Big Tuna is a beast, 14'1" long and 90 lbs. empty. I wanted a better / faster way.

We are considering an addition to the back of the house. If we do, I'll add something so I can just wheel the kayak into that room. In the meantime, I got a 1 ton hoist (10' lift) from Harbor Freight for about $39 with 20% coupon. I already had the 250 lb. eye hooks but I got a stainless, 500 lb., 4.5" long 3/8" eye hook from Home Depot.

I placed 4 smaller eye hooks in the ceiling, 2 16" apart on each end with 32" space between the inner ones. The larger hook, for the hoist, is between the two inner hooks. This allows me to use 2 straps on the hoist and kayak until I get it to the ceiling, then hook the end straps to the ceiling hooks and when they are secure, transfer the inner straps from the hoist to the inner ceiling hooks. The hoist rotates on both hooks so I can offload the kayak to the garage floor, hook up, raise it above my bass boat, then rotate it 90 degrees and finish raising it to the ceiling.

Start to finish is about 15-20 minutes; a great improvement. It's out of the way and fairly easy to raise or lower. Not perfect, but it works.

2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 09-02-2015, 02:17 PM   #767
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
I forgot to post about the great South Bass Island Kayak Rendezvous we had back in June. Lake Erie is a great place to paddle, especially out around the Bass Islands. We had over 100 paddlers there. I got in 18 miles on Friday, and then the winds picked up to about 18 knots on Saturday so I stayed along the leeward side of the island. Many brave soles did circumnavigate the Islands on Saturday though. Here is a shot I took Friday evening, and a short video of the event by Donal Bray. I did not ferry the Airstream to the island, but instead enjoyed my little tent which is at the top of the hill in the picture. I really do love sleeping in a tent on a windy and stormy night.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SBIKR 2015 low res.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	247047  

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 09-02-2015, 02:50 PM   #768
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
On The Road To Wherever We End Up , Traveling the USA
Need some help/advice...I have a Ford Super Duty crew cab with cap. I have two kayaks and use the Thule Hulavator...works great. My problem is that the "feet" on the cab are constantly moved, sometimes forward , sometimes back, yes they are tied down to TV.

Anyone have this problem? Your solution?

Anyone permanently attached a track to your vehicle cab roof ( like on my Leer Cap )?

I have just returned from 2 months in Newfoundland and currently in Nova Scotia. Tried to send Thule an email regarding my problem...no response.

Thanks in advance,
John
SilverEagle6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:34 PM   #769
Storm Master

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
I use a single Yakima tower and bar for the cab to go with the two bars on the cap. F250 crew cab. Seems to stay put. Only concern I have is when I have to four wheel it over rough terrain, will the flex between the cab and bed be too great. So far no problems. I only carry a Mad River 14 ft. Canoe on it right now.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:54 PM   #770
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Sky;

Looks like a fun paddle, nice video, I need to learn how to edit the video's I have. Got hours of it.
Thanks for posting. They got Epic's back there huh?
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:05 PM   #771
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
On The Road To Wherever We End Up , Traveling the USA
Ampman, thanks. I too am concerned about the flex. So far it doesn't seem to be an issue. Granted, we are not four wheeling, but we have been down plenty of rough roads.

I am just bitterly disappointed in the grip of the Thule feet...hoping Thule can resolve, if not, I may find a permanent attachment to the Ford cab.
SilverEagle6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:47 PM   #772
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Sequim , Washington
The eastern Washington state gang is hitching up and heading to Idaho for a week of camping and kayaking on Lake Pend Oreille.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5628.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	492.3 KB
ID:	247223  
BaroloRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:36 AM   #773
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner View Post
Sky;

Looks like a fun paddle, nice video, I need to learn how to edit the video's I have. Got hours of it.
Thanks for posting. They got Epic's back there huh?
Get editing, we want to see you in action . You don't see many Epics around here, but maybe more will start showing up since they are making an affordable rotomolded model called the V7. That's what you see in the movie. Epic provided the boat for a relay paddle around the lower peninsula of Michigan, and the organizers brought it to the Rendezvous to drum up paddlers. I didn't participate, but it looked like a good event. Here is short news clip if interested:

Statewide paddle relay makes Pier Park its final lap | C & G Newspapers

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 09-09-2015, 08:46 AM   #774
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEagle6 View Post
Ampman, thanks. I too am concerned about the flex. So far it doesn't seem to be an issue. Granted, we are not four wheeling, but we have been down plenty of rough roads.

I am just bitterly disappointed in the grip of the Thule feet...hoping Thule can resolve, if not, I may find a permanent attachment to the Ford cab.
John, I do affix the rear rack to the most-rearward edge of the back door, insuring the back rack does not move. Not a complete solution, but maybe that helps a little if you are not already doing that.

Potentially, I suppose you could place a little piece of "non-skid" under the part of the rack that clamps to the truck, to help it from sliding.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:57 AM   #775
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
I forgot to post about the great South Bass Island Kayak Rendezvous we had back in June. Lake Erie is a great place to paddle, especially out around the Bass Islands. We had over 100 paddlers there. I got in 18 miles on Friday, and then the winds picked up to about 18 knots on Saturday so I stayed along the leeward side of the island. Many brave soles did circumnavigate the Islands on Saturday though. Here is a shot I took Friday evening, and a short video of the event by Donal Bray. I did not ferry the Airstream to the island, but instead enjoyed my little tent which is at the top of the hill in the picture. I really do love sleeping in a tent on a windy and stormy night.

Sky

I enjoyed your video very much. Thanks.

I am a newbie. I can't imagine paddling 18 miles. How do you measure the distance. I have looked for an app but can't find one.

Dan

See message above.
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:31 PM   #776
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Hey Sky;

I've paddled all the Epic Ski's but my allegiance belongs to Huki. Made here locally within 30 minutes of my home.As far as the rotomolded V7 goes- well if you want a ski and really wish to progress upward, me I would not waste my money on one. One of the local guys got one and after a month has outlived it, he's looking for something quicker.
I have a Cobra Eliminator, roto molded ski for real low water bottom scraping river races. It is what it is, If we don't get any rain this winter it may see a lot of river time in 2016.
And I'll try to learn myself how to edit some of my stuff.. or you could check out some of my Facebook posts.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:31 AM   #777
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
Some of you may want to look into orukayak.com.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:38 AM   #778
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
I am seeing a few orukayaks around. Touched them, talked to owners. I'll just say, there's something for everyone. And it's not for me.
Now if I were hiking into no mans land , well then I'ld probably have one strapped to my pack.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
Old 05-24-2016, 03:39 AM   #779
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
Sky

I enjoyed your video very much. Thanks.

I am a newbie. I can't imagine paddling 18 miles. How do you measure the distance. I have looked for an app but can't find one.

Dan
Try Map My Fitness. It's free and I have found that it makes very accurate maps. I've even used it to create maps in the car.

Zep

Tags
kayak