Old 04-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #561
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner View Post
Jim;
I'm gonna try to get to one of their show and tells.
There are a few inflatables out there that are nice, these are the "real" money ones, not the death defying crap you get at the box stores.
The thing holding me back is I can't put my hand on one. Also production has not started yet. I like the weight and the ability to store, have no intentions of doing white water or anything remotely dangerous If you do get to one of the shows a review would be appriecated.

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #562
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Only a few weeks till this years Eppie's Great Race!!
Here's a clip of the finish of last years event!https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...v=6kZVr_ZvBWY#!
yup, that's the PAX finishing 23rd.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #563
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I did get a Kayak

This thread convinced me I wanted a Kayak. I finally decided to get a Advanced Elements Convertible Tandem inflatable, found one used once on Craigslist so the price was correct. The wife, son and I have used it 4 times so far and are very happy with it. We haven't tried the single deck yet but that will come. I can take it with me in the truck or on my boat, and the backbone keeps it rigid. I consider this a starter Kayak and I have the feeling we will move on to something more advanced in the future.

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 06-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #564
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Here's another option !

Jim;
wise choice, A E inflateables are known to be sturdy.

BUT, I'm a "wood" kinda guy, lol ( A.K.A. Knothead )

These sectionals are sort of becoming all the rage, this one is a real gem.
Sectional Shearwater Sport | Three-piece Kayak Kit

fall project?
Old 06-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #565
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
...These sectionals are sort of becoming all the rage, this one is a real gem.
Sectional Shearwater Sport | Three-piece Kayak Kit ...
I wonder what they mean when they say you can "build it in one week?" I went about as fast as the resin cure times would allow on my last Pygmy (same construction techniques) and it took 22 days.

http://pygmykayaker.com/?page_id=820

If I had skipped the storage modifications I might have been able to compress that down to 18 days, but I don't think it's possible to glass the boat inside and out and get some varnish on it in less.

Zep
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #566
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Jim;
wise choice, A E inflateables are known to be sturdy.

BUT, I'm a "wood" kinda guy, lol ( A.K.A. Knothead )

These sectionals are sort of becoming all the rage, this one is a real gem.
Sectional Shearwater Sport | Three-piece Kayak Kit

fall project?
I like wood also, built a DK 14 from Wooden Boat plans years ago, but in this case had to go with something I could haul easily. The wife and I have had the Kayak out a couple more times now and have had great fun. Donna did flip me into the bayou as she attempted to get out, she stubbled getting out and put her hand on the side of the Kayak to stop from falling, well you know the rest. I did have phone and everything in a dry bag and tied off, so no harm. Lot of fun.

Donna and Jim Kayak Santa Rosa Sound - YouTube
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 06-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #567

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
I wonder what they mean when they say you can "build it in one week?" I went about as fast as the resin cure times would allow on my last Pygmy (same construction techniques) and it took 22 days.

http://pygmykayaker.com/?page_id=820

If I had skipped the storage modifications I might have been able to compress that down to 18 days, but I don't think it's possible to glass the boat inside and out and get some varnish on it in less.

Zep
I did a scratch built 17' S&G in about the same time, my goal was to see how fast I could build it. Cut, coat, wait...repeat = 2 1/2 weeks. It seems I remember it took 17 days?
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:28 PM   #568
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Jim;
Nice video, were you staying @ Elgin AFB or NAS Pensacola? Looks like pristine waters..

Roger;
The build it in a week is basically referring to having the hull almost ready for varnish or paint. It's a pretty good program especially for first time builders, You should watch some of their video's. you might pick up a tip or two.The classes have a lot of room and of course having things all ready to go saves a bunch of time!
You really should switch to MAAS Epoxy, no blush means no sanding which greatly accelerates build time. And "midnight oil" for when you just gotta slop on another coat of whatever it is you think is needed.lol
Here's a GPS route of a paddle I recently took with Linda Lu.click on map then go to satellite view, zoom, move, whatever,,NaPali Tandem Tour by pax20 at Garmin Connect - Details

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #569
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Nice video, were you staying @ Elgin AFB or NAS Pensacola? Looks like pristine waters..
Oh, yeah, home of the amber jack. Yummy. Can't wait to get back down there...in the winter.

Quote:
Here's a GPS route of a paddle I recently took with Linda Lu.click on map then go to satellite view, zoom, move, whatever,,NaPali Tandem Tour by pax20 at Garmin Connect - Details
very nice. We tried to do the same paddle a couple years ago but couldn't seem to connect to a suitable kayak company. I looked at your stats--you got up to 8.1 mph at one point--you must have been surfing.

Roger
Old 06-24-2013, 10:20 AM   #570
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Pictures please DG

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 06-24-2013, 12:10 PM   #571
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Jim;
No we were at Navarre Beach Campground directly accross from the Englin sign. The marker with the Pelicans on it is the channel marker. I have stayed at the NAS Pensacola campground in the past but it was several years ago.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 06-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #572
1 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Salida , Colorado
I have noticed in the photos posted in this thread that many of you carry kayaks on top of the pickup shell on racks. I am in the process now of setting up my tow rig just like that, but I am concerned that a long 17' touring kayak will stick too far off of the back. No problem, except when towing. So does a kayak or two sticking 3 or 4 feet off of the back interfere with the Airstream when turning or backing? Or would it be a better plan to get a single bar on the cab of the pickup and move the boats forward some?

Thanks. Casey
Old 06-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #573
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Casey View Post
...So does a kayak or two sticking 3 or 4 feet off of the back interfere with the Airstream when turning or backing?...
Big problem. I "calculated" how far back my Pygmy's could protrude and I still marred the dome on my Overlander. You have to not only think of the angle when you turn, but include the case where the tow vehicle is nosing up on an incline.

I stick my boats out over the hood. Both my bars are on the topper (bed cover), so the max that the boats stick forward of the forward bar is about 8', which is within 3' of the front bumper--a long way out there. I use bow bridles and stern tie downs down to the bumpers, as well as a strap around each kayak over each bar.

DOORGUNNER thinks I over-do it.

Zep
Old 06-26-2013, 01:26 PM   #574
1 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Salida , Colorado
DOORGUNNER thinks I over-do it.

Zep, you have confirmed what I was concerned about. I will have to figure out how to move the boats forward over the cab of the truck. Shouldn't be too hard. I plan on loading and unloading over the back of the topper, so I will just add a third cross bar on the cab of the truck and slide the kayaks forward onto it.

I don't think you are overdoing it with the tie downs for cross country travel. I tie down the same way. Just two weeks ago I found a kayak lying down in the bar ditch of sleepy Colorado Hwy. 69. Luckily for the owner it had his name and phone number in it. It was a plastic whitewater boat, so other than a few new asphalt scuffs, the boat was unhurt. It was a funny conversation when I called and asked if he lost anythnig? I got the feeling that "Skip" had come to Colorado to try out our whitewater as well as our new legalized marijuana laws!

Thanks. Casey

Tags
kayak