Old 01-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #491
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
only 81 days on the water in 2012. bummer, missed the 100 mark again.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:43 PM   #492
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner View Post
only 81 days on the water in 2012. bummer, missed the 100 mark again.
I'd say this compares favorably to my 11 days. But two of them I was paddling your fast kayaks. Ha!
Z

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #493
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Curry County , Oregon
First time out with the kayaks

Finally we were able to take the kayaks with us camping. Loading and unloading was easy with our EB. We put a tarp down first and then once they were in we wrapped the tarp around them and secured them in place with tie downs. All in all -- pretty pleased. Now if we could just catch some fish.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1487.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	176418
Old 01-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #494
Rivet Master

Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
Finally we were able to take the kayaks with us camping. Loading and unloading was easy with our EB. We put a tarp down first and then once they were in we wrapped the tarp around them and secured them in place with tie downs. All in all -- pretty pleased. Now if we could just catch some fish.

Attachment 176418
Excellent, Harpo! It's so nice to see the EB being used this way. I'm jealous!
Lisa

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod" https://atomicpod.wordpress.com
2002 Chinook Destiny | 1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler"
WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #495
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Well, it started already. Saturday was out first club race, 33 F. at the start, slight breeze. on Lake Natomas. I stunk up the short (5.5 mile) course pretty bad.lol I'll do better next month. Looks like I may be entering the "California 100" mile paddle race from Redding to Chico.bee a long day in the kayak for sure. Hopefully the date will not conflict with Linda Lu's planning of our vacation. That has a paddle involved with it also. Napali Coast. hopefully I can get lucky and make them both!
Starting off to be a good year.
anyone else winter paddling?
Old 01-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #496
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
A couple of us put in recently at the Canopener rally at Topsail in Santa Rosa Beach, FL (is that considered winter kayaking??). Put in at the very eastern end of Hogtown Bayou in the Choctawatchee Bay, maybe went about 8 miles - guess. Great place to put in if you are down in the Destin/Panama City area.
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #497
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
See the story here. The true story - Thomas P. Peschak

Click image for larger version

Name:	shark and kayak.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	177223
Old 01-22-2013, 01:58 PM   #498
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post

Attachment 176418
This is such a nice feature on the EB!!! Do you have any pics of the kayaks mounted inside? Are they just strapped down somehow? Also, how long is your EB Airstream? Gotta go take a look at the EB floor plans....

Jackson Rancheria, 10-12 Oct 2014
Pinnacles Nat'l Park, 20-22 Feb 2015
Casini Ranch, 10-12 Apr 2015

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 01-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #499
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Curry County , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by warbler5

This is such a nice feature on the EB!!! Do you have any pics of the kayaks mounted inside? Are they just strapped down somehow? Also, how long is your EB Airstream? Gotta go take a look at the EB floor plans....
No sorry. I forgot to take pictures while they were inside. I believe our Malibu kayaks are 10 and 12 ft in length. Our trailer is 25 ft. We put the longest kayak in first over a tarp and then the small kayak on top of it. Both were right side up. Doing it this way did not require that we fold up the bench sits. Finally we used the tie downs on the floor of the trailer to secure the kayaks while in transit. Another nice feature of the EB is the tie downs on the outside of the trailer. We use them to chain the kayaks to the trailer while we are out running around.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:36 PM   #500
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Get with it Roger!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
I'd say this compares favorably to my 11 days. But two of them I was paddling your fast kayaks. Ha!
Z
Just returned from 4 days of crabbing at Bodega Bay,Ca. add 6 other days since the beginning of the month and I'm up to 10, TEN , already. one shy of Zeps total for last year!!. lol
anyway 3 of the 4 days were under a single red flag, Coastie speak for small craft warnings. made for some very interesting paddling. I teamed up with my good friend Donnie for the event. We put in Friday afternoon and dropped 6 traps pretty far out. We only got 4 Dungies and a few rocks in the short time we were out.Saturday blew in steady 21 knots with a 6 foot tide going out, wind from the shore. We spent 3 1/2 hours on the water , every time we checked a trap we were blown out to sea 1/4 mile. This was real work for sure. We got 4 more good size Dungies and 5 big rocks. The Coast Guard rescued 4 kayakers that were swept out to sea and could not make it back. One guy lost his kayak in the process. Rookies with NO respect for the sea. No safety plan, no partners, no brains.Any way we made it back in after repositioning our traps about 1/2 mile offshore. Got back to the campsite and steamed up the 9 and devoured them right out of the steamer with a few friends.
Sunday morning we headed out, Dons traps had disappeared! They were very close to my 4. We looked for a long time, nothing. I limited out (10) in 3 hours.More big wind and waves and tide going in the wrong direction. None of my keepers were close to the Derby winner of 7 1/2 ". Se we had anothe small gathering for dinner Sunday nite. Over 100 kayakers were entered in the Derby. Linda Lu won a real nice deck bag for her kayak. She was thrilled!
This morning we paddled out at 8am, it was just starting to whitecap but the tide was coming in. Our mission was just to retrieve my 4 traps and patrol for Don's missing 2. We noticed 2 bouys that were similar to his and suspected there was a mix up, like his traps were taken by mistake. Any way I got 6 more good size keepers. We paddled back in as a few others were just getting out at 9:30. The wind was picking up.We loaded up and headed back to camp to cook the new catch and get the Excella ready for the ride home.
Even thow it was blowing like snot the trailer was parked in full sunshine and was 78 F. during the day, outside low 50's. At night if dropped into the low 40's, lotsa wind and we were able to keep the trailer at a comfortable 62 F all night using my Dickinson direct vent yacht heater on low setting.Just propane, no electric needed.
So the Airstream did it's job once again. It's a great place to drink wine after a work out on the ocean. We'll be in that area crabbing again in April.
I used my New Wadefish plans built kayak. Sit on top , 15 foot 48 lbs. Great yak for crabbing.
Paddle , paddle paddle.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:14 AM   #501
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Petaluma , California
[QUOTE="doorgunner"]

anyway 3 of the 4 days were under a single red flag, Coastie speak for small craft warnings. made for some very interesting paddling.

End Quote.

My wife and I drove our 8 yr old and his friend out to Bodega head late in the day Sunday in the car. We stopped at Spud Pt. for some Chowdah and went out to the head. We kept the boys away from the edge so they wouldn't blow away. I commented how angry the ocean was. Hard to believe that you were out there in a Kayak YIKES!

Anyway, glad you got some crab. I was wondering which campground you prefer. Doran, Spud Pt. Regional, Porto Bodega or the Dunes. Been to Wrights and love it but was wondering about the others. We are close in Petaluma and plan to make some trips later in the year.

Brad
Old 01-29-2013, 02:07 AM   #502
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Even thow it was blowing like snot the trailer was parked in full sunshine and was 78 F. during the day, outside low 50's. At night if dropped into the low 40's, lotsa wind and we were able to keep the trailer at a comfortable 62 F all night using my Dickinson direct vent yacht heater on low setting.Just propane, no electric needed.
<thread hijack alert>

A DIckenson is what is going into the Tin Pickle once the kitchen remodel is done... drilling that hole through the roof for the vent is going to be a real pucker-inducing job.

Do you have the 9000 or the 12000?

Dickinson Marine - Newport Propane Boat Heater / Fireplace

</thread hijack alert>

- Bart
http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:44 AM   #503
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
I have 15 outings so far this year, but I'm in Florida. You get extra points for going out in that weather and those temps. What were you wearing..... dry-suit? Sounds like a whole bunch of fun

Spotted a pair of dolphins feeding in about 2 feet of water yesterday. Caught up to them and they let me cruise 6 feet from their side for awhile, until they decided they didn't like me anymore. Darn near half the length of my 17' kayak. That was my excitement for the week.

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 01-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #504
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Just returned from 4 days of crabbing at Bodega Bay,Ca. add 6 other days since the beginning of the month and I'm up to 10, TEN , already. one shy of Zeps total for last year!!. lol
I used my New Wadefish plans built kayak. Sit on top , 15 foot 48 lbs. Great yak for crabbing.
Living well is the best revenge. You are getting yours, obviously.

I will not do much better on the water this year, at least not until the new house is finished.

Thanks for the reminder on the Dickenson heater. If anyone sees a good sale on one, post it here, please. I'm thinking the 9000 is plenty big enough for a Safari.

Wadefish? Why don't I remember that one? Photo please.

Zep

Tags
kayak