Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2011, 05:37 AM   #301
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
In the UP , guests of the Ojibwa with Kayak and home made rack. Lots of great places to Kayak in the UP.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kayak and Airstream.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	140228  
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:10 AM   #302
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
more Northern California

Linda Lu in her Shearwater 14 LV. Mt. Lassen 30 miles away as the background. and a little group paddle.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	july 2011 100.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	441.3 KB
ID:	140537   Click image for larger version

Name:	july 2011 053.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	140538  

Name:	july 2011 023.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	576.2 KB
ID:	140539  
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #303
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner View Post
Linda Lu in her Shearwater 14 LV. Mt. Lassen 30 miles away as the background. and a little group paddle.

Isn't that Mt Shasta?

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #304
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
thanks for catching that Ken!!
photo was taken @ Ahjumawi Lava Springs, state park. (facing north)

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
Old 09-21-2011, 09:32 AM   #305
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Our apologies to the Forum for making it look like DOORGUNNER and I like yaks (all wood, all owner-built) more than Airstreams...

Name:	IMG_0519 eight yaks-s.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	140671

and my thanks to Tim for his hospitality and great instruction on the water!

Zep
Old 09-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #306
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
As an example of DOORGUNNER's generous instruction, here's a couple of salmon swinning upstream. Keeping the bow pointed into the core flow can tire one out pretty quick.

Name:	P1040135 tim in rapids-s.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	140718

Name:	P1040150 in the rapids-s.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	140719

Zep
Old 09-23-2011, 08:18 PM   #307
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
We considering a tandem Kayak, and I love photography....what precautions do you use to protect your gear on a kayak....I have a new Canon 5DMkII ....I don't want any accident with it should we decide to venture into this sport...thanks for your help...Zigi..
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:22 PM   #308
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
a underwater case for your 5D cost about $2K.
more than the kayak you would be in!!!
now if you want to just protect your Canon while paddling and only take pics while in a safe spot or on dirt, you could just use a pelican case or maybe double dry bag it. there's a lot of "stuff" out there for camera's to make them useable, try some of the flexible housings, Dica pak is one , there are a few others.
google away.

www.popasmoke.com

YETI ( 65 Quart )

Old 09-24-2011, 10:34 AM   #309
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
Our apologies to the Forum for making it look like DOORGUNNER and I like yaks (all wood, all owner-built) more than Airstreams...

Attachment 140671

and my thanks to Tim for his hospitality and great instruction on the water!

Zep
I don't build (or even have) kayaks. But I appreciate great woodworking workmanship. I've seen Tim's, doorgunner, wood work and love it. Zepp, from your photos you also have your own unique creative style and I like it too.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:50 PM   #310
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
We are seriously considering a pair of Kayaks. We have decided not to pursue a tandem because of weight and storage considerations. We have only canoe experience many years ago.

We do not plan sea kayaking or long trips, or even overnighters...we have this wonderful Airstream to sleep in....We will travel lakes ( e.g. some large ones....Jackson Lake near Yellowstone) and mostly rivers...like the Willamette in Oregon.

We are looking at the Current Designs "transition" Kayaks, namely the Vision 120 for nana, and the 140 for papa.

We are going to test drive these boats soon, but with all the experience on this site, I couldn't resist asking for comments and recommendations from this august group. Fire away folks, my "ears" are wide open and receptive!!! Thanks for your input......Zigi
Old 09-26-2011, 01:52 AM   #311
Rivet Master

Vision kayaks

We have a fleet of kayaks, including a Nordkapp HM, NDK Romany, NDK Explorer LV, Anas Acuta, NDK Romany LV, Tahe Greenland, Wilderness Systems North Star, self-build skin -on-frame, Dagger CFS, etc. (28 at the last count!). When the DW and I are paddling and exploring together, we now use a Current Designs Double Vision, a short, lightweight kevlar and glass tandem:

Double Vision

At about 60 pounds it weighs less than my Romany single, and is shorter than most of my singles. We've been paddling for 50 years, and from that experience I can thoroughly recommend the Double Vision for your puposes. A good friend, Mark Gluckman (co-author of "Sea Kayaking in Florida"), uses the Vision 140, and he is delighted with it. You will see some of our experiences here:

www.hiddencoast.blogspot.com

Nick.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:44 AM   #312
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigidachs View Post
We are seriously considering a pair of Kayaks. We have decided not to pursue a tandem because of weight and storage considerations. We have only canoe experience many years ago.

We do not plan sea kayaking or long trips, or even overnighters...we have this wonderful Airstream to sleep in....We will travel lakes ( e.g. some large ones....Jackson Lake near Yellowstone) and mostly rivers...like the Willamette in Oregon.

We are looking at the Current Designs "transition" Kayaks, namely the Vision 120 for nana, and the 140 for papa.

We are going to test drive these boats soon, but with all the experience on this site, I couldn't resist asking for comments and recommendations from this august group. Fire away folks, my "ears" are wide open and receptive!!! Thanks for your input......Zigi
I know the “Purists” will flame me for this; but I think the majority of Folks are well served by a quality roto-molded recreational kayak. We have a few Perceptions and an Old-Towne. They are comfortable, stable, and fairly indestructible and have served us well for many years.
I don’t have to grimace if a Friend wants to go for a paddle or feel bad when I run it up onto the beach.
12’ or 14’ sounds about right; long enough to track well, not so long that you couldn’t run a river.
Test driving is a great idea…check craigs, and also many rental shops (and campgrounds) sell off their inventory for pennies on the dollar at the end of the season…
I would love to have a beauty like dg’s…and probably will some day. But between Cub Scouts, Friends, and the abuse we give our boats…I would hate to do that to a work of art…

Bill

Last week…Wood River, RI with Cub Scouts (and Shadow)
Old 09-26-2011, 09:48 AM   #313
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Like Nick, I own some fairly high-performance sea kayaks (a pair of P&H Scorpio LVs after I sold my Valley Avocet RM.) But we just bought a Folbot Citibot - a 10' folding sea kayak that fits into a backpack and weighs 25 pounds - for travelling. It's a blast to paddle - not fast, but not slow either. So easy to load (assembled) on the roof and very cleverly engineered. Not cheap ($1300) though.

I agree with Bill - lots of folks can have lots of fun with short-ish rotomolded boats. They seem to do just fine with abuse. Test-paddling is essential. And make sure you can lift it up onto the roof.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:44 AM   #314
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigidachs View Post

Don't rule out the Hobie mirage drive boats. You can still paddle, but it sure is nice to just sit there and and pedal with your hands free to relax.

You can't go in river white water, but you can still pedal at quite a clip when there are white caps on the lake or lazy river.

Hobie's website was acting up when I posted this, but here is a link to a dealers page for the model we have. (1 Blue and 1 Yellow)

Hobie Mirage Sport Kayak 2012 - Austin Kayak - Product Details

You can leave the standard kayaks in your wake. Yes, it definitely will go fast enough to make a wake (and bow wave too).

It also has a small sail optional.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:47 PM   #315
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
As complete newbies with only one kayaking experience under our belt, my wife and I bought kayaks a year ago after months of research on the Internet, talking with store owners, etc. While this helped us narrow down the alternatives, we found that there was no substitute for actually getting in the different brands/models and paddling them around. I had decided on a particular brand and model based on what I had read about it. After paddling in it for less than five minutes at a dealer's open house, I was convinced it was wrong for me.

That experience saved me an expensive lesson. We did eventually settle on a couple Wilderness Zephyrs based on how the "felt" and handled at the open house. We love them.

BTW, we carry them on our Suburban using Yakima racks. Tule also has well designed kayak racks. Forget carrying them in or on your Airstream.

My $.02,

Paul
Respect Each Other
Road Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #316
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst View Post
We have a fleet of kayaks, including a Nordkapp HM, NDK Romany, NDK Explorer LV, Anas Acuta, NDK Romany LV, Tahe Greenland, Wilderness Systems North Star, self-build skin -on-frame, Dagger CFS, etc. (28 at the last count!). When the DW and I are paddling and exploring together, we now use a Current Designs Double Vision, a short, lightweight kevlar and glass tandem:

Double Vision

At about 60 pounds it weighs less than my Romany single, and is shorter than most of my singles. We've been paddling for 50 years, and from that experience I can thoroughly recommend the Double Vision for your puposes. A good friend, Mark Gluckman (co-author of "Sea Kayaking in Florida"), uses the Vision 140, and he is delighted with it. You will see some of our experiences here:

www.hiddencoast.blogspot.com

Nick.
Terrific Book....downloaded and read just now. We live in Oregon, but your book contains an abundance of practical information. Thank you for sharing. And thank you ( and all the others ) for your suggestions. We'll "test drive" a few boats before deciding.....
Old 09-26-2011, 03:27 PM   #317
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
really???

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post

You can leave the standard kayaks in your wake. Yes, it definitely will go fast enough to make a wake (and bow wave too).

you must paddle with some weak paddlers. a wake is normally indicative of a design flaw or totally overdriving the vessel and wasting effort.
Hobies are fine for what they are designed for , recreation. they are a great platform for moving video, and launching model rockets.upstream they are worthless.

There are a ton of boats out there. just get one with bulkheads fore and aft, and a good paddle, a PFD that FITS, spend money on that one, decide what your live is worth.
you will upgrade as your skills improve so if you are dealing with a local shop ask about their trade up program. take a few lessons.
yup craigs list is fine if you know what you want.
I'm really opinionated about yaks.
the Valley's are great British boats. if you like the factory built stuff.
Check out the Necky vector 13, I paddled one a few days ago and was impressed, also the Necky vector 14 is sweet, I hope to paddle one tomorrow. My friend owns Headwaters Kayak Shop. a plug for Dan.
anyway have fun. see you on the water, maybe
Old 09-28-2011, 03:00 PM   #318
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
Having spent a great deal of time on goggle, and at the kayak shop(s) discussing kayaks before we take our beginner's lesson classes this weekend, I received a new recommendation which came from the owner of the Alder Creek store in Portland. He recommended that we strongly consider doing a demo paddle in the Wilderness Tempest Pro 170 (me) and 165 ( wife). His main logic was that when a boat is under 14' the "glide" is lost when you stop paddling. The chine on these boats provides improved secondary stability.......comments, experience??? Thanks for your input.....Zigi
ps...we have a ton of canoe experience on large lakes and rivers.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:46 PM   #319
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
you asked,
for a grand less you can get the rotomolded version. only 6 lbs.heavier.
then you could beat the crap out of it and not worry.
I see it all the time, new paddlers spending big money on a boat then not wanting to use it for fear of scuffing the finish. it's your money.
Me, I would get a RM boat, even a used one and spend that other grand on a dry suit. yup
thats it for me

www.popasmoke.com

YETI ( 65 Quart )

Old 09-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #320
3 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
round lake , Illinois
necky

wife and i paddle necky lookshas IV 16 feet i believe, we spent the money on fiberglass and would have it no other way, as straight and true as the day they came home (1995) excellent boat, look for secondary stability, which means as you lean the boat actually becomes more stabil, i prefer to do my homework and buy once, sometimes overbuy but you never know what may happen down the road, as avid climbers/backpacker who has lost a leg it is nice to have such a great way to get around nature these days

good luck
cale
let's play is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayak