Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2005, 07:35 AM   #1
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Katrina

Katrina has just been upgraded to a category 5 hurricane and is still located in the gulf.It is projected to be a category 4 or 5 when it comes ashore.I hope all the necessary precautions are being taken by those in the hurricanes path.My thoughts and prayers are for those in the affected areas.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 08:34 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Ditto, glad it decide not to come back to Florida. Here is a neat site for tracking it's progress:Katrina Hurricane Information
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 09:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Unless it weakens today, it's right there with Camille... only larger. I hope Terry Tullier got out with his recently acquired 34'.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamer23
Katrina has just been upgraded to a category 5 hurricane and is still located in the gulf...
Another good reason to keep the 345 around -

Several friends and family living in New Orleans are now "refugees" from the storm and have taken shelter here in Katy.

Backed up the 345 to electricity and water here in the driveway and now have two "families" sheltering in the MoHo. - Might even "convert" one of the families to the AirStream way of life!

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 02:12 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
We decided discretion was the better part of valor and bugged out. I have been working a project in Mobile, AL. Made hotel reservations Friday am in the only locale that had any...Jacksonville, FL Tried along the road but no luck. So we left Mobile early this morning and here we are refugees in JAX. I hope for the best for everyone in Katrina's path.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 04:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
When Max and I were MUCH younger, on a mini-vacation, we decided to drive the coast road from New ORleans to Mobile. This was at least a year after Camille~we still feel the shock we experienced on that drive when we talk about that trip today. Oce-gorgeous gulf-front homes ;eamed ith only a tattered bottom story remaining. Multistory hotels with huge chunks facing the gulf dropped to the beach. Stretches of highway partially broken off or missing on the gulf-side. That was our first visit to our loved Dauphin Island~structures basically destroyed and swept over with sand. We hope EVERYONE somehow is out of the direct hit areas. Along with others, we'll stay tuned to the progress of this monster storm and have all in our thoughts and prayers.
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 04:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH
Another good reason to keep the 345 around -

Several friends and family living in New Orleans are now "refugees" from the storm and have taken shelter here in Katy.

Backed up the 345 to electricity and water here in the driveway and now have two "families" sheltering in the MoHo. - Might even "convert" one of the families to the AirStream way of life!
bless you my man, they are lucky to have a good friend like you...
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 10:14 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

With expected power failure here in MS for days, please say some prayers for us. We are about 100 miles inland and expect major damage here. I just hope our AS and home make it okay. Looks like all on the gulf coast are going to be in for a terrible time, especially NO.

Dawn
early is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 10:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
We have experieced Hazel, Donna, the Ash Wednesday flood, Floyd, and the most recent for us was Isabel. The entire community pitches in and helps. My ford tractor pulled tree limbs as all the neighbors used their chainsaws. The local saw/generator dealer sent his truck half way across the us to pick up any brand genset he could get and only charged extra for the prorated fuel and drivers cost associated with bringing them here. Its devestating to have your home torn up and trees that you have babied your years uprooted, but everyone pitched in and helped. The storm hit on Thursday and I had my roof repaired on Saturday. Two months later the insurance adjustor made it by and he was very fair with is settlement.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 10:21 PM   #10
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by early
With expected power failure here in MS for days, please say some prayers for us.
Best of luck to you Dawn ... hope you and everyone else makes it through what looks like a whopper of storm.

We've been watching the news non-stop for a few hours now ... I just wish CNN would drop "Your Hurricane Headquarters" ... sounds like a back-to-school sale.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 10:34 PM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Good luck to everyone in the area. We're following along from a safe distance, and hoping you all pull through safe and sound.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 10:42 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Thanks all

Dawn
early is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 06:25 AM   #13
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Thumbs down Good Luck to all in Harm's Way !

http://weather.gov/sat_loop6.php
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 02:59 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Katrina and the Waves

What's in a name? Who would have ever thought!

http://www.katw.com/
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 03:29 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
Has anyone heard anything from the Airstream park in Mystic Springs?????
scf31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 03:54 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by scf31
Has anyone heard anything from the Airstream park in Mystic Springs?????
Not today...I did talk to Herb Spies (1st VP Pensecola Unit) Saturday though and he said that Katrina was supposed to hit further west this time...hopefully, Mystic Springs wasn't hit head on again!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 05:38 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Mystic Springs

We live near Fort Walton Beach/Destin and Mystic Springs is about 70 west (nearer Katrina's landfall). We were just outside the the circular mass of clouds you saw on the radar images and only had max 50-60 MPH winds. We had just finished cleaning the camp sites of all the downed trees and limbs from Dennis last week. No one stayed at the park the last few days. Only two Airstreams were left there, one in storage and our 58 Pacer we are going to renovate as a club project. We will go see what happened in a day or so. There are still curfews in place in most places that had damage or that were evacuated. Also we have limited gas available now (remember the gas lines from the 70s?) and we have have gas lines to fill up if you can find the gas.

Herb
bjond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 10:09 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Unhappy It's a bad one

By now, most of you have probably watched Fox, CNN or whatever station, to get the latest news and pictures of the damage. I truly hope that the death toll does not rise much further (55 at this time).

It is times like this that you begin to question what is really valuable in your life.

We, on this forum, have a great time sharing information, parts, and know how to complete "our babies". We all have put a great deal of time and money into our "second home". We now have fellow citizens that do not have a "first home" to go back to.

I encourage all my fellow forum members to make a donation to your favorite charity to assist the great humanitarian effort that will be needed to rebuild many peoples lives.

As for me, I have a cousin who refused to leave "everything I worked so hard for", just off the beach in Gulfport. Her sister tells me that if she has not heard anything by noon tomorrow, she would contact the Red Cross. She fears the worst. I will pray for the best.

My prayers are with all that have been or will be affected.

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 11:30 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
The Robin

A Knight came riding down a lane and saw a small robin lying in the road on it's back with its legs up in the air. The knight looked down at the robin and said, "Why are you on your back?" and the robin replied, "Chicken Little said the sky is falling." The knight roared with laughter and said, "and what can YOU accomplish by trying to hold up the sky with your puny little legs?"

The robin replied with more dignity than one would have thought possible, "Sir knight, one does what one can."

We can't do much to help people, but I'll write as generous a check as I can afford to the Red Cross disaster relief. Let's all do the same. If it means putting off replacement of my mattress for a month, no problem. I can use the Karma. Let's all try for some group Karma and contribute what we can.

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 04:41 AM   #20
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Donate blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaFord
I can use the Karma. Let's all try for some group Karma and contribute what we can.

Tin Lizzie
Even if you can't afford a financial contribution, here in the SouthEast you can donate blood. It is currently in very short supply, and will be nonexistent in the hardest-hit areas.