Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 07:15 PM   #44
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatt Ratt
Hey Y'all!

The entire family is safe; my sisters was found yesterday in good health along with her husbands and kids. Cousin is in hospital with shock, Dr. say that he will be fine with rest. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. Ray.
Great to hear Ray

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 08:08 PM   #45
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Talking

Good to hear from you, Ray. Glad all y'all are okay.

Anybody have any idea how many more of "us" we need to try to find?
Old 09-05-2005, 08:38 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

Miss New Orleans..

Hi from my new home in Houston Texas.
We evacuated here last Saturday with just a few articles of clothing, a few pillows, and our photos in a big plastic box. I never imagined that my entire home would be destroyed. Ever.
I lived in"Lakeview" the area that is adjacent to the levee breach. Our houses have had 8-10 feet of water standing in them for 6 days now. By now I have given up any hope of salvaging anything including the house.
The good news is we are all safe and for the most part able bodied. The people in Houston have been so nice and helpful it is unbelieveable. We went to eat in a TGIF and the waiter would not allow us to pay. More similar stories. I am going to stay here temporarily untill I can go home-however long that may be.
On the bright side I believe the AS make it!!It was in a storage site. I can always live in that!!
hhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 08:47 PM   #47
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhuber
Hi from my new home in Houston Texas.
We evacuated here last Saturday with just a few articles of clothing, a few pillows, and our photos in a big plastic box. I never imagined that my entire home would be destroyed. Ever.
I lived in"Lakeview" the area that is adjacent to the levee breach. Our houses have had 8-10 feet of water standing in them for 6 days now. By now I have given up any hope of salvaging anything including the house.
The good news is we are all safe and for the most part able bodied. The people in Houston have been so nice and helpful it is unbelieveable. We went to eat in a TGIF and the waiter would not allow us to pay. More similar stories. I am going to stay here temporarily untill I can go home-however long that may be.
On the bright side I believe the AS make it!!It was in a storage site. I can always live in that!!
Heidi, it's good to hear from you, and I am glad you and your family are safe. A house can be replaced, a person cannot. Although I don't envy you the thought of living in a 17' trailer, it is much, much better than some folks there have. Do you know when you may be allowed back in to retrieve whatever you can (including the Caravelle)?
Old 09-05-2005, 08:51 PM   #48
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
40 FEMA mobile homes enroute

FEMA has sent 40 recently vacated mobile homes from our area up to the current disaster area. These were used until a couple of weeks ago by survivors of hurricane Charlie here. More will be sent as they are vacated.
40 isn't much, but right now that may possibly be all that can be accomodated there anyway. There are another 20 travel trailers also being redirected up there from a storage area near here. All these should begin arriving as soon as Wednesday.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:59 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

They are saying it could be months before we can even go into the city proper. It is still full of water, dead bodies, mold, and other gross stuff, A relative of mine rented a helicopter to go retrieve his dog. He said that there were just a few feet of water in his house but there was mold growing all over everything that was about 3 inches thick. I don't even know if I want to see it.
hhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 09:03 PM   #50
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I don't want to gross you out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhuber
They are saying it could be months before we can even go into the city proper. It is still full of water, dead bodies, mold, and other gross stuff, A relative of mine rented a helicopter to go retrieve his dog. He said that there were just a few feet of water in his house but there was mold growing all over everything that was about 3 inches thick. I don't even know if I want to see it.
But that mold is being fertilized by the contents of the water. If and when you do get back there, make sure you thoroughly clean yourself and anything you bring out with you. We don't want you to be okay, only to get laid low by a host of bacteria.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:56 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Exclamation Good to hear........

from you, Ray, that your family is all accounted for; and from you, Heidi, that you are all safe.

I am glad to hear that you saved a big box of pictures. Being a geneaologist, my first thoughts after the initial shock of damage and destruction and evacuations, was all the records that have been lost.

I can only encourage all of you to make photo copies of all your important documents, i.e. social security cards, birth certificates, marriage records, etc., and seal them in a ziplock bag and keep them with your "grab and run" kit. In this age of technology, photos can be transferred to discs. We send a backup file of all of our family records and research to our daughter in Minnesota periodically. It doesn't take a hurricane or tornado to destroy your life, a house fire can do the same.

Learn from the images we are seeing.... prepare now.

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 10:51 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

A charity worthy of your support

I hesitated before writing this, because my views are so strong I sometimes doubt my own objectivity. And I will avoid speaking ill of any other charity for the same reasons. I suppose they all, even the least efficient, do more good than harm. I main fear is that folks will back away from giving because of the bad cases they may have heard or experienced.

My own preference is to look for a relief organization that goes, and prefers to go, where the cameras aren't. My own dollars go to the Salvation Army. I think their record is outstanding, and in this effort they have been first to arrive with immediate life saving aid in the rural parishes and counties out of the limelight of NOLA. The SA does accept earmarked donations and spends them on what you specify. The overall efficiency is high too, with over 83% of donations directly aiding victims.

I hold no concurrence with the religious mission of the SA, but none of relief donations are used in support of that. No one, regardless of faith should have any unease over that.

Don't anyone hang back over making a contribution because of fear your money will not aid the victims of Katrina.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:25 AM   #53
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
To Ray .. and to Heidi ...

Glad to hear you both made it out of New Orleans. I hope you can get your lives rebuilt soon. Keep us posted on how things are going.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 07:56 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobechs
I hesitated before writing this, because my views are so strong I sometimes doubt my own objectivity. And I will avoid speaking ill of any other charity for the same reasons. I suppose they all, even the least efficient, do more good than harm. I main fear is that folks will back away from giving because of the bad cases they may have heard or experienced.

My own preference is to look for a relief organization that goes, and prefers to go, where the cameras aren't. My own dollars go to the Salvation Army. I think their record is outstanding.....Don't anyone hang back over making a contribution because of fear your money will not aid the victims of Katrina.
For some parts of the years I was actually living in the New Orleans area (1973 to 2000) I tracked the efficiency of the United Way - the range was usually between 79% and 84%.

Now, with 4 people still in residence in the MoHo and 4 "refugees" at the house in Katy (far West suburb of Houston) I hope I can make a suggestion for how to "help" the flood victims.

First off, the victims with a modicum of intelligence (I am NOT referring to elderly, sick, or disabled here) escaped the storm on their own....these people are in (relatively) expensive hotels and (for now) no income.

These families that are now most affected were the backbone of the New Orleans economy - and are now destitute and need help.

What these people need most are jobs - short and simple. The realization that the New Orleans infrastructure will be years (if ever) in coming any where close to approaching "normal" is just now setting in...as is the realization that their entire world was washed away and they now need to get on and "start over"....in many instances with only the clothes on their back.

So - if you - or anyone you know - has a job available - please post it on the various websites along with the education and skills requirement for the placement.

The SECOND most important area to help - education.

In order for the entire educational year not to be lost these kids need to get into a school. If you feel a need to donate money directly may I suggest a donation to a school district that has been inundated by the New Orleans population - Houston, Baton Rouge, Jackson, and San Antonio come to mind, but there are many, many others. Also, consider donating a "partial scholarship" to a parochial school of your choice - Catholic, Methodist, Jewish, Luthern, Episcopalian, and Baptist, along with various Evangelical congretations all support primary and high schools, and don't forget the universities. Please mark any monies donated to the districts or schools to be used to help only the schools that have taken in displaced New Orleans area students.

The above are my views only - any and all are welcome to share my thoughts with others - I think I have a good handle on the actual situation by right of continued contact with friends and family who are now part of the displaced work force I alluded to above.

The people who got out before the storm did it by determination and intelligence, and knowing that a Cat 4 hurricane was headed for a city protected by levees and pumps streched to the limit by even non hurricane weather events.

This displaced workforce, and all those who possess skills, trades, education, and pride, are worthy of help from all of us who have fared so much better in the wake of Katrina.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 07:57 AM   #55
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Now that most of the people that want out are on their way out or getting out (while some are staying put)....I'm concerned for all the pets left behind. I've read mixed info on this too.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 02:14 PM   #56
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Petsmart

I too am concerned about the pets left behind. My 3 girls (dogs, but don't tell them) made a donation to Petsmart for this reason.
http://www.petsmart.com/global/splas...=1126033769016

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote