Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2005, 07:52 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
We were at international this year and took the Red Cross "Airstream Angels" classes. These are a very basic indoctrination classes that show what the Red Cross does in times of national emergency. We are on a call list for volunteers via Airstream's involvement. When you have lost everything you need everything. Baisics like clothing, bedding, food, water, tootbrush, comb a teddy bear for the kids. The ARC as well as local churches are all pitching in and doing what they can. Anything and everything you can do will be appreciated. Who knows when it will be our turn to be on the recieving end?
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 03:44 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Question Twisters too

Just heard that north Georgia has been hammered hard with tornadoes.

Has anyone heard from the "Top of Georgia"?

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 06:01 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Looks like housing is now a huge issue. I have an extra Airstream (31 Excella 500). if anyone hears of an organized effort to provide Airstreams for people to live in as a form of temporary housing, please let me know. I'll get my trailer as close to the disaster as possible.

--dave
www.dwmorrison.com/airstream.htm
munimula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 06:10 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Mansfield , Texas
We also have family up here fleeing the flood. The as will be put to good use for quite a while.
bill benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 07:07 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
My heart goes out to all in the area,from the news, the helicopters are showing up with supplies,as I am watching the news the looters rape what is left in the stores, But I am sure there are a lot of other countries getting ready to send aid to the area,My prayers go out to all,,,,,,,,,
scf31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 07:12 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by micsupply
Looks like housing is now a huge issue. I have an extra Airstream (31 Excella 500). if anyone hears of an organized effort to provide Airstreams for people to live in as a form of temporary housing, please let me know. I'll get my trailer as close to the disaster as possible.

--dave
www.dwmorrison.com/airstream.htm
Hunh. I wonder how we would do that. Probably something we have to have organized & ready to go for next time. As a reminder of something else we can do, though, I'll be at the blood bank tomorrow with several of my friends ....
Old 08-30-2005, 07:18 PM   #27
Rivet Master

If anyone has family or friends that need a place to rent and want to come to the mountains of North Carolina I have an extra house that I will rent out, 1/2 hour from Asheville in Bat Cave.
Pm Me for more info
Richardt
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 08:25 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Rebuild of water/electrical

Maybe john hd can fill us in on how linemen get called upon for major reconstruction like N'Awleans will begin in the next couple weeks.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:08 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
One way to help....

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Even if you can't afford ......
Having lived most of my adult in South Louisiana (Cut Off, Golden Meadow, Houma, Venice, and Buras) I can attest that the worst of it is the rebuilding....materials are in short supply and it is usually hot, humid, and miserable, but the absolute worst thing is to find a competent contractor and/or labor to hire.

There are certain "gypsies" who descend with SOB “White Boxes” and take advantage of whomever they can (unfortunately, mostly elderly and uneducated folk who can least afford it) with promises, cheap materials and shoddy workmanship. In the midst of the shock of major rebuilding and cleanup (and living without water, sanitation, or electricity) it is difficult to evaluate contractor integrity, much less to even FIND someone willing to take on the job.

To that end – we (Mary and I) have immediate family and close friends with about 6 houses needing repair – mostly siding, roofs, flooring, sheetrock, and cleanup. If anyone has the name or contact to a reputable contractor that may be coming to the New Orleans area for a “Work/Camping” session please PM me or have them contact me. We all are very fortunate in that, as far as I know, no structural damage has occurred on any of the dwellings (no trees on the house, no movement of the house from the footing, and no supporting walls damaged).

I appreciate any leads forthcoming on recommended contractors willing to take on roofing, siding, sheetrock, flooring repairs in the extreme Southeast Louisiana area.

Thanks…

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 09:51 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I write a column for a monthly newsletter and wish to share what I wrote for the September edition:

"I am having a hard time tearing myself away from the news channels since Monday morning when the hurricane struck the gulf coast. So much destruction and all done quickly by a single storm. I am suffering along with those that on the TV, knowing that all I can do is pray for them and support them through the various relief agencies.

As a chaplain I am often asked the question why God allows this to happen? Knowing that this is not a lightly asked question the answer can not be easily given. We are happy to have God in control when things are going right. Like on a beautiful spring day when the flowers are just starting to bud and the air smells so sweet and fresh. But then there are those dark days that are so hard to accept, days like last Monday. Days that will test our faith and lead some into hopelessness.

Faith is always my answer. Faith that the God I serve and follow would not stand by and allow the suffering of millions or even one as the cause; if God did I would go mad. Faith, something which I know is there for when nothing else makes sense. When I am about to take a step and there is nothing there; faith gives me something solid to stand on. We can pray for the millions of sufferers of this natural disaster that they will have faith, they will keep hope, and they will keep God with them.

Along with your prayers will you please write a check to your favorite charity. With that thought there are many poor in our communities who will be suffering with the high gas prices, up .60 here in Milwaukee in two days. See what you can do to help them with this crisis."
Old 09-01-2005, 10:17 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I finally heard yesterday afternoon that my brother and his family in Biloxi are okay, and their house was undamaged. It helped that they live 6 miles inland on a knoll about 65' above sea level. We have a friend who might not have been so lucky, who lived off the same road, but only 2 miles inland, 23' ASL, and only a couple hundred feet from a bayou. We haven't heard from him.

Keesler AFB, which survived Camille, has had some significant damage. According to their website, the BX and commissary had 6' of water and the hospital basement was flooded. I also hear reports of significant damage to base housing. Hopefully, no one was in the FAMCAMP, not far from the coast and in a stand of oak trees.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:57 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
, California
Faith

Hey y'all,
My entire family of seven live in Gulf Port. I have heard from my parents who are alive but have lost everything. They cannot find my siblings; my parents are well into their 80’s and very tired. I have not heard from my sister’s or their families. My cousin who was doing duty at the air base when the worst came is missing. I cannot explain the frustration and helplessness I feel. If not for my faith, I couldn’t continue to function. - Ray
Old 09-01-2005, 01:07 PM   #33
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatt Ratt
Hey y'all,
My entire family of seven live in Gulf Port. I have heard from my parents who are alive but have lost everything. They cannot find my siblings; my parents are well into their 80’s and very tired. I have not heard from my sister’s or their families. My cousin who was doing duty at the air base when the worst came is missing. I cannot explain the frustration and helplessness I feel. If not for my faith, I couldn’t continue to function. - Ray

Ray,I can't imagine what you must be going through.I hope all works out for you and your family and my prayers are with you.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 01:19 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaFord
We can't do much to help people, but I'll write as generous a check as I can afford to the Red Cross disaster relief.
Tin Lizzie
Please dont take this the wrong way....I think most people here should be commended for their generosity...but I'd highly suggest some brief research to find a more direct route in sending a monetary donation than Red Cross.

Dont forget the last catastrophe...record breaking donations which only about 10% actually reached the people who needed it most. 2 years after 09/11 it was discovered that a sizeable amount of that money went into corporate accounts and was being used to build new facilities...they interviewed a Red Cross branch Dir. in California who was pullng down $250,000 a year.

Find an avenue in which you can put the money into the hands of the people directly.

And to Ray and all the others directly affected...not only will we help...we'll pray WITH you.
chikagurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 05:58 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Yes Chika -- BTW, my name is Bob. The ARC had a problem with the Sumatra/Thai tsunami disaster. ManyAmerican donors were disaffected with a large proportion of their donations converted to general efforts. Thus the problems to which you refer. I would believe they'd support this effort with greater intensity. But who knows .... ? Info anybody??

That was immediately post-Libby Dole and I don't think it was attributable to her. Any large organization has basic operating costs and a cornucopia of priorities... So I'd hope they realize how important it is to walk-it-like-you-talk-it.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 08:18 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Post We have heard.....

my cousin and her husband are battered and bruised but alive. House survived, sort of. They were less than a mile off the beach at Long Beach, Miss.

My prayers are with you Ray. There are many websites to list your family names. That is how Red Cross knew to contact us here in Kansas.

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 07:33 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
We have gone on line and made a contribution to the ARC. At the present time it looks like thats about all anyone can do as the sitiuation seems to be well out of contol.
I worked at the mens US Open Golf event in Pinehurst, NC they moved 10s of thousands of people twice a day to and from the event. Now in a case of National emergency that we have planned for we can only move 15,000 a day and that is after a 4 day delay? I think I am seeing my homeland defense at work. I'm sure glad we are winning the war on terrorism I would hate to see what it would be like if we were losing.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 01:13 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Gutted...

What a cruel world, weather wise... 4 what it's worth, I spoke 2 the Big Man upstairs... & He jus aint got back 2 Me yet, He must B real busy, or jus plain don't wanna talk 2 Me abt anything at the moment, He maybe realisin what a MESS he caused... But bein the BOSS Man, He can put the blame upon some one else...sigh, anyhow, I wish I could do something, but as I'm a long way off across the pond, I jus wanna say how SAD We ALL R on this side, My neighbours Son & His Family had their Vacation Cancelled due 2 the weather, & only heard this mornin, that the Friends they stay with at New Orleans, have LOST EVERYTHING...absolutely NOTHING left at all, all they can C is the roof of the family 4X4... It's said that the place may NOT B repaird this side of Xmas or even recover at all... now that's a shame, a Darn shame...
Our Hearts go out 2 ALL & our prayers...Chris.....
Old 09-02-2005, 04:53 PM   #39
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Thumbs down An excellent link ...

Here is an excellent link with before & after views.

When downloaded, your explorer should give you the option to enlarge or zoom the view in close with an icon that will appear in the lower right of the picture when the cursor is rested there.

http://digitalglobe.com/katrina_gallery.html

All photos credits to "DigitalGlobe".
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 05:48 PM   #40
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
My wife and I were in NO on two occassions. Our first trip we flew in and stayed at the Fairmont. We ate well, and had wonderful time. It really is the magical city that you here about. The old shops, the streets, the mimes, artists, nut-cases. And the music....man!!!

Our second time to NO was in November of 2001 and we drove our VW Eurovan and camped at a Place called St. Bernard State Park about 18 miles out side of downtown NO. A great place with a resident cat, goose, and alligator. I remember our campsite had all these little newt/salamander things, and I had a name for each one of them. Along the way to the campground there was a small shack that sold these blocks of head cheese and sausauges. We didn't buy any head cheese because of my gout, and I just can't fathom eating brains. We did buy TONS of andoulie sausage, garlic sausauge, all kinds of encased meats. We even had to buy a styrofoam cooler to bring back product to our friends and family.

This was also the same trip that I parked by Louis Armstrong Park, and our van got broken into and thousands of dollars of photo equipment stolen. A bottle of JAck Daniels and a piece of plexiglas from Home Depot helped alot.

Even with our break-in, which was mostly my stupidity, we blew it off, and continued to enjoy every minute of our time in NO.

I was hoping that there would be an occasion that we could bring our AS to this magnificently weird city and stay at the same campground, St. Bernard, but I'm not even sure if it is above water. I know that we had to drive by a bunch of refineries, and even a historic battle field that we visited.

And did I mention standing in line at Mother's for breakfast, only to look behind me to find Carlos Santana breathing down my back!!! (Guitarist's nervous breakdown here)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I am so deeply saddened by this, it is made worse by the fact that I made a trip here and I fell in love with a city.

Sorry for the dis-jointed post. I did not think it would be possible to see two things in my life: Planes flying into two buildings and a catastrphic storm that would wipe out a city that I love and love to talk about with my NO un-aware friends. They just don't know what they missed.

I can only hope that the city rebuilds. I think they will. But it won't be the same time worn shops with the sights, sound, and smells that I remember.A real walk into history.

We have pledged to help, and if any of you who have been as moved by this city as we have, I'm sure you have too.

So here's to the great old city, and may she rise again....

Jonathan