Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2005, 09:23 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Question Just saw my old trailer on the internet...

GULP

I know I've traded for a newer bigger trailer, but part of me hurts a little when I see my baby (I know, she's not mine anymore) posted on the dealer's website....

I got a little guilty feeling deep in my gut...

Anyone ever see their "previous" baby posted for sale and get that gut wrenching feeling?

Maybe I'm too attached.....

Kevin
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 10:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Love Lost

Sorry, like a love lost some things are never the same.

I used to trade things for other things but then I acquired mine.

The Airstream could be replaced but I would rather not.

When we shake off these mortal coils; you can't take it with you.

Sometimes I worry about someone crashing into it.
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 10:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
A number of years ago we looked at an older Caravel at a private sale. It was nice but we really wanted a dual axle Airstream so passed on the Caravel. We then saw the same trailer at a RV dealer which was selling the Caravel on consignment. The price had gone up $2,500. The trailer was unique because it had a large dent on the top left side at the rear of the shell.

Anyway a couple years later we were camped at Alegany State Park just south of Buffalo. We were out for the day and returned to the park. We noticed an Airstream was arriving at the park just ahead of us. I saw the "dent" and recognized the trailer as the same one we looked at years before. A resident from Buffalo had ended up buying the Caravel from the Private sale in Ontario.
Road Ruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 12:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Seein & Sellin....

I bet there R hundreds of U guys who done the Garage Sale..., We passed one bk in Fla: in '97, I almost stopped 4a nosey, but sadly it was Our last day on Yr wonderful side of the pond, I also wanna go 2 a Tail Gate sale, I do those over here every sunday, I guess Yrs R more interestin than Ours...LOL, ours have mostly modernish " Treasures ", tell Me Do U Guys go there ?, Buy there, & what do U buy ?, I kn it's kinda odd, but I smetimes get the urge 2 collect MORE than I sell, I wanted a Mailbox, but ended up buyin one from Wally-World...it's...it's jus NOT the same, aint got any culture behind it, no history...it aint got that I was part of America... I served someone...if U kn what I mean...LOL, I think I gonna look out 4 a Yard sale when We come on over in Nov, so anyone KN how I would B able 2 find out where one is being held ?, R they advertised in the local paper ?...Any Info FANX...LOL...
BTW, when I think of My last car bein rebuilt & on the road agn, it kinda makes Me MAD, yet happy, 'cos someone got themselves a car that was realy looked after & cherished, Grrr...Chris.....
Old 07-20-2005, 01:33 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

i had the same feeling when i saw my ex girlfriend on the "bunny ranch" website.................: lol:
desi arnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 01:56 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
We did too. When we drove away and left our Bambi behind the day we got our Safari, there was a weird feeling. We'll prob have the same feeling if/when we trade this one in too!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 02:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Talk about a sick feeling...I saw my trailer for sale on a ebay ad! And it wasn't for sale by me!!!! I contacted the seller and asked him to remove the pictures and he did. He said he was trying to show that 'this ol' crappie trailer can look like THIS', but the way it was worded it was deceptive and he wasn't clear that the pictures were not of the trailer for sale.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 04:10 PM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit
GULP

I know I've traded for a newer bigger trailer, but part of me hurts a little when I see my baby (I know, she's not mine anymore) posted on the dealer's website....

Anyone ever see their "previous" baby posted for sale and get that gut wrenching feeling?

Kevin
I had a Hi-Lo that I owned for 14 years. Kept it clean in the garage. Looked like new when I sold it. I felt pretty guilty at the time since I knew its new owner would never take care of it as well as I did. We ocassionally have ridden by the owners house a couple of times and its never there. I'm afraid it didn't get my TLC and passed on to the great campground in the sky...

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 04:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
Talk about a sick feeling...I saw my trailer for sale on a ebay ad! And it wasn't for sale by me!!!! I contacted the seller and asked him to remove the pictures and he did. He said he was trying to show that 'this ol' crappie trailer can look like THIS', but the way it was worded it was deceptive and he wasn't clear that the pictures were not of the trailer for sale.

Shari
Here's the link to an old thread when I discovered it:

Buyer Beware!

I was happy the seller cooperated, but I sure was hot at the time ~ it's been so long ago that the ebay listing has long been pulled, sorry for the dead links.

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 07-20-2005, 05:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut

Shari
Geez, Shari! What's your prob? Haven't you heard the saying, 'All's fair in love and eBay?'

Why, I just listed this auction today!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maxsale.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	13451  
Old 07-20-2005, 07:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
ARRRRGH!!!!

Shari

Old 07-20-2005, 10:30 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit
GULP

Kevin
I saw the first trailer I ever restored, (1963 Bambi), on eBay! I knew that trailer intimately so I know it was the one.
My brother and I restored it when I was 16 and he was 15. We sold it about ten years later when we wanted to pay off some student loans.
We sold it to a friend of our family's. We lost touch with him and when he died his daughter sold it to a guy that saw it sitting. That guy put it on eBay. I have no idea where it went.
I did get that sinking feeling in my gut when I saw it on eBay.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 04:01 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
You mean you'd actually part with one once you got it??
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 07:36 AM   #14
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Brad, that one made me LOL first thing this AM! Thanks for the chuckle!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 09:01 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I'm afraid to admit that I'm one of those people who has a love affair with every car and trailer I have owned. Some you just know need to go down the road without you at some point but they leave a lasting memory of the good times and the bad stuff seems to just vaporize the further down the block it goes. As my buddy says, I don't have enough life left to enjoy the stuff I've still got, keep it all maintained, do the updates I want to do, and just enjoy the fact that I've been able to acquire them. Still, it sure is sad to see one I've truly enjoyed and taken care of in someone else's care if they are not keeping it as nice as I remembered or think I was keeping it. Which leads me to what to do with my '58 Silver Streak Chico 17' now sitting out back under a cover because the '51 Airstream has replaced it. If I sell it I'll hate myself, if I keep it I'll never get around to finishing it. I guess it's better than wanting it and not ever being able to have had it. Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 09:05 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
The first Airstream we ever had and restored was a 71 Safari. I still remember my husband busting his face with a gorilla bar when he was prying the old floor up. He was unhappy. So when it was finally done, and we sold it to buy a bigger one...I was sad but yet okay remembering all the pain, money and time we spent on it. AND how crammed we were with 9 people in it. I did recognize it last year in a campground and went over to see it and the new owner. She is SO happy with it, and told me everything she has done with it...that I feel okay about it. Kinda. Except right now I don't have ANY. So I want back the ones I used to have... though I have totally given up on fitting in them however with 11 people now. I would be happy to settle with just working on one again. The heart says yes, the wallet says ha ha....