Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2008, 02:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
, Indiana
Question Just bought our 1st Airstream

Yup, the fever bug got us... we have been oooooing and aaaaahhhhing vintage airstreams for some time now... and finally found that one silver bullet that fit juuuuussst right. lol

The thing I am most concerned with now is picking it up... noooo, not litterally. We are to go and get our new dream tube in July and was woundering if any of you know if my 1985 restored F150 with a 302 and 4 speed bulldog tranny will pull her.

She's a shinney 31' Sovereign with a middle bath and queen bed in rear...

help... do you think my wee truck will do the job?

Thanks,
Greg and Samantha

Join us at the "Great Smokey Mountain Getaway Airstream Rally"
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...way-40186.html
greg_n_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Welcome to the forums! Glad to have you "in the family"...I can't answer your TV question, but I wanted to welcome you aboard anyways!

Good luck!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:38 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1952 15' Cruisette
Boise , Idaho
I think your truck will have problems with a trailor that big. How is your suspesion? I imagine a trailor that size would squat the rear end of your truck pretty bad. I would also say that a 302, even a built one, wouldn't have the tourque to get a trailor like that up hills. These are just my thoughts and I dont really know the specifics of your truck.
IdahoMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:26 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
, Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoMatt
I think your truck will have problems with a trailor that big. How is your suspesion? I imagine a trailor that size would squat the rear end of your truck pretty bad. I would also say that a 302, even a built one, wouldn't have the tourque to get a trailor like that up hills. These are just my thoughts and I dont really know the specifics of your truck.

The suspension was upgraded by the farmer I bought it from... Whatever he put on it sure does nice when a real heavy load in in the rear bucket.

Last week I hauled 5 bobcat buckets of pee-gravel in her and the rear didnt sink a bit.

I too was concerned about those hills on the way home though... I guess thats why I was asking...

I really appreciate your input and will do some testing before we go get our airstream. Thanks
Old 03-05-2008, 03:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Which transmission do you have? Is it the normal 3 speed plus OD manual transmission, or the NP435 four speed with the granny gear? I know the latter was available with the 300 inline six. If you have the V8 with that transmission, pulling power will be adequate, even with a 3.08 final drive.

The tongue weight (no more than 800 lbs loaded, I'd say) of a vintage Sovereign shouldn't be a problem for a half-ton pickup with a properly set up weight distributing hitch. You will need to pay attention to stability. Sway control and stiff sidewall LT tires on the truck are items to consider.

When the trailer was new, cars of similar size and weight to your truck were used to pull it.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Greg n sam...welcome to the forums.

We tow a 75 Ambassador 29' with a 1/2 ton chevy with no issues, but I would still look into your tow vehicle further. Gatlinburg sure is nice, and you have a HUGE contingent of TN airstreamers close to you.

If you like to travel a little ways, we host a rally for forum members in April and October every year, but so does the TN airstream crowd.

Whatever the case...welcome to the forums!!!

Steve
Old 03-05-2008, 03:40 PM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As to your TT/TV combo question, you may be pushing the envelope. You don't mention how far you are going to tow the Airstream to get it home. If it's a fairly short distance, you can give it a try and see how it feels. If your TV is truly outclassed, it could be a very long and uncomfortable trip home.

You will be needed to get some sort of weight distribution/anti sway hitch system. You will also need a trailer brake controller. These are things you will need regardless of the type TV that you have. There are a number of threads on these issues on these Forums.

Safe Travels,
Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:44 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
, Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertF
Which transmission do you have? Is it the normal 3 speed plus OD manual transmission, or the NP435 four speed with the granny gear? I know the latter was available with the 300 inline six. If you have the V8 with that transmission, pulling power will be adequate, even with a 3.08 final drive.

The tongue weight (no more than 800 lbs loaded, I'd say) of a vintage Sovereign shouldn't be a problem for a half-ton pickup with a properly set up weight distributing hitch. You will need to pay attention to stability. Sway control and stiff sidewall LT tires on the truck are items to consider.

When the trailer was new, cars of similar size and weight to your truck were used to pull it.
The restored F150 has the NP435 four speed with the granny gear. I have already purchased and installed 33X12.5 Bighorn Maxxis all terrain tires mounted on 15 inch rims ... I just went out and looked at the suspension and it is lifted a little compaired to factory (i'd say about 2 to 3 inches).

Thanks....

Our First ever Rally in August this year: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...way-40186.html

Keep in touch, I will talk to my wife about attending the rally you mentioned which is coming in October as well...
Old 03-05-2008, 03:48 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
, Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As to your TT/TV combo question, you may be pushing the envelope. You don't mention how far you are going to tow the Airstream to get it home. If it's a fairly short distance, you can give it a try and see how it feels. If your TV is truly outclassed, it could be a very long and uncomfortable trip home.

You will be needed to get some sort of weight distribution/anti sway hitch system. You will also need a trailer brake controller. These are things you will need regardless of the type TV that you have. There are a number of threads on these issues on these Forums.

Safe Travels,
Brian

Groovy, thanks Brian...

I have been looking at some weight distribution systems and anti-sway systems before leaving... Remember, we wont be going to get the trailer until July.... So, it looks like I have some time to buy what is needed.

Regarding the trailer braking system; Dont all of the 78 and newer 31' airstreams have braking systems standard? or do I need to buy one and install it?
Old 03-05-2008, 07:25 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
, Indiana
Proud new owners of this:

1978 Sovereign - Paid full price ($5,800) bought it right here at Air Classifieds... Aint she a beaut!
Old 03-05-2008, 07:29 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Yes she is, what a beaut. Enjoy it and welcome aboard. Now get out and use it!!!
elolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:26 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_n_sam
Groovy, thanks Brian...
<snip>
Regarding the trailer braking system; Dont all of the 78 and newer 31' airstreams have braking systems standard? or do I need to buy one and install it?
I don't know what braking system your trailer has but I think the question is, "how do you control the TT's brakes".

In the case of our 2007 19' International Bambi with electric brakes, the answer was to install a controller in our TV. Fortunatly, our TV came prewired for a controller. It is a bunch of wires that gets power from the TV's electrical system, includes a harness to connect up to the brake controller and runs back to the hitch for connection to the TT through the standard connector. If your TV doesn't have this prewiring, then the installation will be more involved but certainly not impossible for a TT mechanic.

I hope this is helpful!
Old 03-05-2008, 08:53 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
The restored F150 has the NP435 four speed with the granny gear. I have already purchased and installed 33X12.5 Bighorn Maxxis all terrain tires mounted on 15 inch rims ... I just went out and looked at the suspension and it is lifted a little compaired to factory (i'd say about 2 to 3 inches).
Oops. . . those tall tires will effectively give you a taller final drive, and reduce pulling power. They are also effectively the opposite of a stiff sidewall LT tire - great off-road, but not the first choice for a highway tire.

I'd suggest 215 or 225/75 LTs, and getting rid of the lift kit for optimum stability while towing. Yeah, the truck won't look as impressive, but it will tow better.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:15 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
, Indiana
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertF
Oops. . . those tall tires will effectively give you a taller final drive, and reduce pulling power. They are also effectively the opposite of a stiff sidewall LT tire - great off-road, but not the first choice for a highway tire.

I'd suggest 215 or 225/75 LTs, and getting rid of the lift kit for optimum stability while towing. Yeah, the truck won't look as impressive, but it will tow better.

Thanks for the advice Albert... I will have to look for some more tires... grrrr, I may just sell the truck and buy a better TV... If you know of anyone who is looking for a very nice off roading truck, let me know. A pic of the F150 is below:

She has a new Fire Engine Red Paint job and she has only about 70,000 miles on her.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:05 AM   #15
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
My answer would be - take it easy going home and begin your search for a more appropriate tow vehicle. Yours is not adequate for the trailer. But it likely will get you home if you watch yourself.

Congrats on the new beauty.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:18 PM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Glad Ya Made It!!

You'll get a good idea about your tv on the trip home.

As others have already said, the off-road set up may be it's biggest

drawback. I've checked your photo gallery, the Airstream looks sooper!!

I couldn't open the truck photo's in your posts though.

Has anyone else had the same problem?
Old 03-09-2008, 01:11 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
, Indiana
Hiya Robert,

I think I figured out how to upload some more pics... I just uploaded pics of the truck and have planned to purchase the following to install onto the truck to tow our Soveriegn - tell me if I'm nuts or should just buy a different TV:

1. Putnam Reciever HItch: Class 4
2. Equalizer Weight Distribution Hitch: 10 or 12K capacity
3. Fireside Ride Rite Suspension helper add on
4. Ride Rite - Level II Command center for add on suspension helper
5. P-3 Tekonsha Brake Controller

The above system upgrades will cost me about $850-950 bucks vs. 9-10K on a different TV...

.... Thanks for all your guys and gals help it is really appreciated

here is a link to our photo gallery: http://www.airforums.com/photos/brow...0&userid=27440
Old 03-09-2008, 03:03 PM   #18
_

. , .
hi greg

i c u r trying to outfit the 150 for towing.

here are some of basic thoughts...

-the 302 is marginal power, tranny and cooling system are too.

-the over sized tires work against towing in several ways.

-moreso given the short wheel base with those big tires...

-the truck in original form probably had adequate payload and towing capacity, although up hill might be slow...

-if rear suspension has been beefed up that may not be a bonus, depends on what was done.

-using manually adjusted air bags WITH a w/d hitch isn't usually advised

-the bags don't increase towing capacity and conflict with proper spring bar adjustments...

-how are the brakes on this truck? u will need 8 GOOD brakes for tennessee.

now perhaps u will rarely tow and take only short trips, and find the truck is adequate....

rodney used a similar truck with an older/lighter/ shorter trailer, before opting for a 3/4 ton with diesel...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/523461-post73.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...tml#post425684

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...150-21062.html

there are LOTS of 1/2 ton options for your 5-6k trailer to consider...

and that might be worthwhile before spending too much on the 302.

of course the brake controller can be used with other tow vehicles...

but u really shouldn't need a 10-12k hitch for this trailer, get one that matches the trailer mass/tongue weight.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 03:28 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
, Indiana
Groovy... Thanks....

I did post my truck for sale on Ebay the other day. I think you are right on the nose with this, So - I am hoping to get a more appropriate TV in the near future.

If the truck does not sell this round on ebay I may just put a hitch appropriate for the trailer on it and get the other stuff minus the airbag suspention... All the other stuff I can transfere to my new TV.

You guys have been awsome with the input.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:22 PM   #20
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Right Decision Me Thinks

Quote:
Groovy... Thanks....

I did post my truck for sale on Ebay the other day. I think you are right on the nose with this, So - I am hoping to get a more appropriate TV in the near future.

If the truck does not sell this round on ebay I may just put a hitch appropriate for the trailer on it and get the other stuff minus the airbag suspention... All the other stuff I can transfere to my new TV.

You guys have been awsome with the input.
I think you did make the right decision with your truck. The 150 would

work much better as a long bed. The added wheelbase would add a great

deal in your comfort level while towing. Looks like you've done some good

research on what equipment your going to need. This Forum is THE best

resource. Do your Homework and take notes, they come in handy when

dealing with over zealous salespeople. Remember you don't have to spend

a lot, just what matches your needs and what you are comfortable with.

Stream-on