Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-25-2011, 10:27 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Just because you own an Airstream:$$$$$

Hi, just because you bought, or own, an Airstream doesn't mean you are rich and have a money tree in your back yard. I keep reading statements like: Well if you paid $70,000.00 for your trailer and $50,000.00 for your tow vehicle You should buy:

(1.) A $3,000.00 hitch.

(2.) A $300.00 vacuum cleaner.

(3.) A $400.00 heater.

(4.) All new wheels and disk brakes.

(5.) A $1,200.00 brake controller.

And the list is endless!

Some of these people just might have a $100,000.00 loan on their trailer and tow vehicle, and actually, can barely afford to make the payments. Well, not everyone needs, wants, or can afford these items. And they certainly don't need someone shaming them deeper in dept.

Note: I don't have any of these items listed.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:44 PM   #2

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, just because you bought, or own, an Airstream doesn't mean you are rich and have a money tree in your back yard. I keep reading statements like: Well if you paid $70,000.00 for your trailer and $50,000.00 for your tow vehicle You should buy:

(1.) A $3,000.00 hitch.

(3.) A $400.00 heater.

And the list is endless!

Some of these people just might have a $100,000.00 loan on their trailer and tow vehicle, and actually, can barely afford to make the payments. Well, not everyone needs, wants, or can afford these items. And they certainly don't need someone shaming them deeper in dept.

Neither do I. and I bought mine used (same for the TV) so I guess I'm a secondhand streamer!

1 hitch came with the AS (Reese)
2 $40.00 vacuum (was used for the cars) that is 4 years old.
3 heater, what heater, I use the furnace or heat strip (remember used)
4 wheels look great and brakes work fine, I did get new tires.
5 I got the P3 brake controller with the sale of our Bambi.

For the ones that can afford the above, it's great and I'm happy for them but I'm cheap and want to retire before I'm dead so I have to save as much as I can while still enjoying life! Different strokes for different folks.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:07 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Anyone who tells someone they need to buy something is a leech, period. No matter how much one spent on their AS the urchins who want you to buy their BS are just using the poor excuse of "you should have more" to entice you. I'd like to think that people who buy airstreams are more attune to the BS people put out, but I'm sure that's always the case.
You can follow any of our leads (as vintage restoration people) and tell them you bought it for $1433 as long as they included the original toilet;-) and tell them you can give them a hundred bucks for what ever they want a thousand for....I promise they will never contact you again.

A final note.....with 70K, I could restore not only not my 74 Safari, and my 47 Spartan but also at least 2 additional vintage trailers, plus..... so a bit of perspective isn't bad either... You enjoy a trailer hot off the rack (and so you should) but there are people (including you) who can take that same capitol investment you have made into a brand new carbon foot print and revamp ten times the energy in restoration of things in your own back yard.
So, if your carbon footprint isn't a issue for you, and taking some time to restore something doesn't appeal to you then buying something new is right up your alley.
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:19 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
This actually may be a fundamental question for this site.....
And I can only question it from my perspective, but I'm not sure how people who own vintage trailers can really relate to those who have new trailers.....I happen to think there is a fundamental difference. People either buy something they can step into as is....or they buy something they step into as what might be........... these kinds of people are worlds apart and I'm happy to be one of them.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:31 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Well, I will say Roberts, if you really did pay 70K for a trailer in this economic climate, then you're opening yourself up to those kind of statements. You have money, that's great.....,but don't pretend that you don't when you drop it hard. Embrace it. Cuz you obviously do have capitol and people want to get at it.....it's the way of the capitalist world.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Don't blame the messenger.

I've met a lot of very good salespeople, and I've made the mistake of buying things I don't really need or want... but I've learned from those mistakes. The most important thing I've learned is that impulses DO happen... but that they also PASS. 24 to 48 hours can completely cure me of most of them!

Eventually it comes down to being brutally honest. We all want stuff we don't need. Getting a new thing makes us happy for an hour or a week - rarely for more than six months. It's easy to turn into a hoarder if you have enough money, it's almost as easy to plan ahead to get what you really really want without sacrificing other major things. Plan ahead, don't deviate on the big stuff, and have limits on impulse purchases. Whether your impulse limit is $5 per week or $500 depends on your income and other obligations. It doesn't take long to realize that every single one of us wants 3 to 5 things that we can't afford on our mad money - so, we start making choices about what we REALLY want.

I think that somewhere between 40 and 50 most of us finally recognize that the big "buzz" of keeping up with the Joneses is just nuts. Everything we purchase becomes "stuff" sooner or later. You get a big buzz from buying a new car, or piece of jewelry or Airstream or whatever. Within weeks or months it's just another thing you own. How often on these threads has someone bought a vintage unit that has sat in a yard or barn or alley for 6 years? The dream? It faded away, and the former owner just didn't take the initiative to limit his losses by selling early.

Some salespeople are real leeches, but they are being paid to sell. They are obligated to sell. You are being paid to say NO... and you are paying yourself. If you have trouble with "NO" try saying any of these to a sales person (and while you're at it, listen to how these sound to you!)
  1. yes - I would rather buy this new car than put money away for my child's college. I don't care that his IQ is 140 and he's already 14, I'll start saving later.
  2. yes - I need the buzz of buying this $200 pair of shoes... the kids can eat oatmeal with reconstituted powdered milk for a month. They won't mind, and I won't feel bad about it.
  3. yes - Our mortgage is overdue but I want it all, and I want it now. I just won't think about having to have five of us sleeping in the car when the house is gone.
I've had hundreds of employees over the last 30 years. One or two stand out as truly compulsive spenders who truly did let their kids go hungry because they could NOT stop themselves from buying some useless chatzka. Most of the rest had simply never been taught to manage money and with a little help quickly picked up the skill.

Paula
Old 12-26-2011, 12:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I have a new trailer and a high-quality heater. Also built two houses by hand, fixed up three VW campers and several old cars, drafted to Viet Nam, inherited nothing, started working at 14 years old, bought the Airstream with cash after retirement and a cancer diagnosis.

I don't know what the hell this thread is aimed at for sure, but wish it was at some of the $400k motorhomes around me instead of fellow Airstreamers.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:57 AM   #8
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
And I can only question it from my perspective, but I'm not sure how people who own vintage trailers can really relate to those who have new trailers.....I happen to think there is a fundamental difference. People either buy something they can step into as is....or they buy something they step into as what might be........... these kinds of people are worlds apart and I'm happy to be one of them.
Unfortunately you have NOT learned what Airstreaming is about. It is about none of the things you mentioned. There are only the differences you create. Sorry, dude, just being honest. I know you are new on this scene, and have launched right into it full force. You have not, however actually Airstreamed yet, for had you been to an event, that statement would never have been said. I own nothing but vintage. I am the vintage type. However many of my friends own newish units and they are no different than me. Their happy hour contribution or their pot luck dish tastes just as good as mine.

Going vintage is not a cost saver either. It is very possible to spend more on a restoration than a new trailer will cost. If you do not believe this true, just talk to my two current clients. They are both buying brand new trailers, it just happens that originally one was new in 1957 and the other was new in 1971. Looks like in 2012 they will be reborn again.

Robert, I own that $400 vacuum. 10 years ago I threw out our 5th vacuum. I bit the bullet and bought a Dyson. Second best money ever spent. The Airstream was the best money spent!
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:26 AM   #9
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
It's a rationalization thread about inferior hitch rigging. Or brakes. Or brake controllers. Might as well throw in bias ply tires since radials are too expensive. Vacuum cleaners are just a red herring to make it appear to be about money, not rig performance. To each his own, perhaps, but ones income and decisions about how to equip the rig are not dependent on each other.

Determining good, better, best is the purpose of quite a few threads around here. How one uses one's rig is an easy way to determine their relative importance. But difficulty in separating feelings from thinking is the apparent rationale for starting this thread, since as next to none of us are using this travel trailers for our incomes, any money spent on them can be seen to be as unnecessary.

Ergo, an SOB is more than okay as a trailer . . an Airstream is obviously too expensive just to go camping with. An A/S ought to be left to those living and working full time on the road, where towing performance, longevity and reliability have real consequences.

Take the premise out to an encompassing extent.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:43 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Airstreaming is what ever you want it to be. Much of my Airstreaming is restoring. My job is very stressful and I need something to get my mind off of it. Now I could spend tons of money on therapy, expensive vacations, some mind altering drugs (cheap beer instead), but I chose to restore and problem solve on my airstream's. Whether I am camping, parked restoring, or planning. The money I spend on my Airstream is nothing compared to the other stress relievers I could pursue. All you have to do is see what I wear when I am not at work. I have holes and paint on everything I wear, and that is Just the way I like it.

Now the folks that have the new Airstream's are great also. They allow me to see what changes airstream has made, and yes I like the new Airstreams very much. Wish I had one, but I don't which is fine with me. Money is spent how every you feel it should be. The folks who have the new Airstreams my wife and I have met all have been very nice and friendly. The people with the vintage have all been nice and friendly. The campers with the other brands of RV's have been nice and friendly. The scenery does not change so who cares.

I could buy a new one but I invested in land so my wife and I could have a small farm and grow our own (counting the days). It is all good Airstreamers. It is all good!

Brian
Old 12-26-2011, 05:36 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Brian and Frank...well put! My sentiments exactly. And when Frank brings his tamales to a rally...oh boy, a beer and all your troubles vanish!

Bob
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:52 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Bob:

I will be working on my 1960 today with a beer helping me. I think my troubles will vanish.

Brian
Old 12-26-2011, 06:28 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
Frank's Tamales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
Brian and Frank...well put! My sentiments exactly. And when Frank brings his tamales to a rally...oh boy, a beer and all your troubles vanish!

Bob
Your right Bob new or vintage. It don't care what AS you have just get out and enjoy it(Life is Short no time to wait). When I got the AS bug I was on the fence new or vintage. I was so close to signing for that payment book for a new one. I ended up going vintage. I made one big payment on a very good trailer. We have now been Streaming in it for over four years. The cash I saved over the new one sure has paid for a lot of trips and rallys.
Yes Franks tamales are to die for! Frank has been very kind to me. Instead of just giving me a fish he has taught to fish. We now make our own tamales in Bethel Park

Ace in PA

TAC PA-1
WBCCI 2169
aceflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:53 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflys View Post
Yes Franks tamales are to die for! Frank has been very kind to me. Instead of just giving me a fish he has taught to fish. We now make our own tamales in Bethel Park
Awww Ace that just isn't fair! We'll be over to your house for tamale's and beer!

Bob
Indiana, PA
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:18 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have about $14k in my trailer and tow vehicle. Niether of them are new though.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post

(1.) A $3,000.00 hitch.

(3.) A $400.00 heater.

And the list is endless!

perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:21 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Frank makes tamales??!! Please, Frank, come to the Moraine View rally in June!

Seriously, some people are not fixers/rehabbers at all, barely can drive the nails and do routine maintenance on a home, much less create something from nothing out of an old trailer.

We really appreciate those who can, but we can't. We bought new-the-prior-year, got a nice discount and financed, because that's what we wanted to do. Were there an emergency, we could pay the balance off from savings, but minus that we will continue our auto-debit from checking each month until it is paid off.

That's what works for us. Doesn't mean we've got $$$$$, we don't.

I remember getting badly beaten up here, as a newbie on the forums, over the issue of financing. Was rescued by our very own Crawford Gene.

Different strokes for different folks, right.

Maggie
Old 12-26-2011, 07:32 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
Frank,

I often find your posts inspiring.....sounds corny, but it is true.

We have owned all sorts of RVs from pop-up truck campers to RVs and trailers. It was not until we bought the Airstream (we own a "newish" one) that I realized we should have done this years ago.

We have met some great people at Rally's and have made some new friends. I plan a good chunk of my time off around Airstreaming, and we are looking forward to the upcoming season, to catch up with our AS family.

Frank -- ditto on the Dyson. Five years and running like the day we got it.

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:37 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Exception To Every Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
There's alway an exception to every rule, and I am one. I bought my 2002 ASCL 31' new along with a new TV, BUT I also own a somewhat vintage 1988 Acura Legend Coupe (restored), 1971 Kawasaki 500 "Mach III" (restored) and have been working on an experimental aircraft for way to long.

I CAN relate to those who own vintage, their time spent renovating and the end product because I appreciate the time (I've spent thousands of hours renovating/building) and talent (have to know how to twist a wrench) involved.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:06 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
To me it's a cost vs. benefit thing.

A few years ago I went to Jackson Center and took the tour. I walked through a new 34 footer (maybe one of the last ones) being built. The sticker on it was $110K. It was a nice trailer, but honestly not worth $110K to me.

My 34 foot Avion is a 1987 model. The shape of the '87 Avion is very similar to the current Airstreams; not quite as rounded as the older ones. But at any rate, interior room is just about the same in them.

I paid $7200 for my Avion. I have since put about $5K in it. But, I've got what most people who come up to me consider a pretty decent trailer and I've got 1/9 the price of the new one in it.

Now, somebody has to buy them new ((I have the sticker for my trailer and it was $33K in 1987....so that's probably not too far from $110K in today's dollars). And good for them. But at my station in life, I don't get to camp or stream or what have you as much as I'd like, and it's simply not worth $110K to me right now. If I were to live in it full time, that'd be different.

But anyway, I think they're all good. If you want a new one and can swing it, do it. If you like to fix up an older one and put your mark on it, that's cool too. And just like my '70 Dodge Charger, it is very easy to sink more into a redo than to buy a new one; especially if you can't do the work yourself. Or, if your labor counts for anything. If you count up my hours of labor, I've probably easily got $110K of blood and sweat equity in my 34 footer.

But more importantly: Frank would you be willing to share your tamale recipe on here
Old 12-26-2011, 08:07 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
A prior boss at work (a hard worker, I might add) spent his life saving every penny he made. Worked two jobs most of his younger years. He invested his money wisely. Spent all of his free time reading money magazines to keep up on the markets, and was able to avoid the market crashes. He made a lot of money though people around him making the same amount of money were broke. The phones in his house were over 30 years old, and he did not own a cell phone.

About 10 months after his wife retired (he also was retired) they were both killed in an accident.

Because of this, my wife and I decided this life is not just about the destination, but also about the journey... After all, we have no guarantee we will ever get to the destination. We bought a vintage Airstream, something we could afford, and spent the next 4 years and all of our vacation time, including every penny we could save, to rebuild it, to escape the stress of work a few times a year.

I know what it means to not be able to afford to eat for several days at a time. Life was no fun. I determined that I did not want to live like that, so I went to college (while working) while my friends played around.

Today those friends are on welfare, have several kids that know nothing about life, and have been married several times. They are still undisciplined in their behavior, and think everyone in society owes them.

I am not rich, and the bank still owns much of my house. I become very bewildered as I watch the people of this great country, with all of the opportunity it has to offer, become split over class envy. Much of this nonsense is the consequence of life altering decisions (FYI, doing nothing is a decision and requires little personal discipline ) Each and every one of us need to take full responsibility for our own actions and not be upset at others who made good decisions.

We are the most giving nation in history, and at times have been one of the hardest working. Why throw a tantrum over what you don't have? Take advantage of the opportunities provided us by the blood of our forefathers in the pursuit of happiness ...
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote