Old 12-27-2011, 05:05 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I never got to use my folks campers or motorhomes. I always wanted to go camping. Well Just before I retired. I bought a 40k pickup truck to be able to pull a bobcat on a rented trailer. SO the TV came first with no thought of campers. I got the bug to buy a camper. So I went on line lookin.Then I discovered AIRSTREAM. THEN we went to the factory to watch em made and then the wife and I were hooked. We looked at NEW and discovered NOT WITHIN OUR BUDGET or INCOME. Then we discovered our vintage Airstream which we could pay cash for. IT got us out there. We got invited by (Im namin names) WheelIntrested to attend a rally about 80 miles away. WE love everyone we have met no matter whether they own Motorhome,Vintage, or NEW,whether they are young or old, we have never been able to make a distinction. THEY are all great people and we hope they are our friends.We would not trade em fer NUFFIN IN THIS WORLD!

7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
"just because you own and airstream;$$$$$" It becomes tiring having somone say "look at those rich SOBs, they have an airstream". Yes, we do have a new AS and TV, but they came as an expense; We bought them after the death of my wife's mother, dad and uncle. They liked to travel, and we liked to camp. Now when we go camping it's like taking them with us, and that is how we remember them. So, are we rich, I guess so, but not in the since of having alot of $$$.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:09 PM   #59

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem
"just because you own and airstream;$$$$$" It becomes tiring having somone say "look at those rich SOBs, they have an airstream". Yes, we do have a new AS and TV, but they came as an expense; We bought them after the death of my wife's mother, dad and uncle. They liked to travel, and we liked to camp. Now when we go camping it's like taking them with us, and that is how we remember them. So, are we rich, I guess so, but not in the since of having alot of $$$.
Way to go! It's a great way to remember them.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:28 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
For me it was a stretch to achieve the AS. Always dreamed of one while touring the USA first in a pop-up and then my then new 22' SOB. The AS serendipitously appeared and called out to us about 5 years earlier than the planning for retirement spelled out.
As far as the accessories..I always was in a price class where I got what was needed for late spring to early fall RVing, and bought cheap stuff for very occasional use and really that was all I could afford.

As many of you probably have noticed, I am researching and upgrading a lot of the accessory items I have. NOT because I am rich and have to have items to match the "status" of an AS, but rather, am upgrading to better quality, higher durability, lighter items for the 3/4 timing we plan at retirement. I am buying now while I have better earning power and before the fixed income limits expenses.

People will always think what they will.....I really don't bother myself with what others think. That's their problem, and their problem only becomes my problem if I let it.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:00 AM   #61
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hi All. We have tented it. We have Pop-Up it. We have tented it again and now we have a 26 year old Airstream that looks 26 years old. It is, what I felt was, the best we could afford. Everything works and it tows great. We paid cash for it. It looks pretty good too.

Come along anytime, you can park your nice shiney new one next to us or you can park your Pop-up or plop your tent too. All are welcome. I'll even buy the beer.

See ya on the road sometime.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:03 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Hi All. We have tented it. We have Pop-Up it. We have tented it again and now we have a 26 year old Airstream that looks 26 years old. It is, what I felt was, the best we could afford. Everything works and it tows great. We paid cash for it. It looks pretty good too.

Come along anytime, you can park your nice shiney new one next to us or you can park your Pop-up or plop your tent too. All are welcome. I'll even buy the beer.

See ya on the road sometime.
OK! You got me with the beer offer.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:20 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I agree completely with Finalcutjoe and a lot of the posters.

I am an engineer and used to work for a large company with lots of engineers. I think that a lot of them were insecure- they wanted you to buy what they bought. That way they felt good about their purchase. I don't give a flip about what somebody else bought. To each his own. If everybody bought the same stuff, would this not be just a big bore?

I use the forum as a learning tool- to learn about Airstream stuff and places to put on my Bucket List. I have been known to get on my soapbox about items like LED lights because I think that they are great as I like to boondock. If other folks don't like them or need them that is fine. But if I did not relay my joy about the advantages of LED lighting, ie. just kept it a secret, I might not be able to help the next Airstreamer that is boondocking and having battery problems. So I guess that I feel a responsibility to pass on info that will help somebody else.

We all buy what works best for us. I bought a new TV in 2008 for 25K. I would like to buy a new Airstream too, but I can not come close to affording one. Plus you can make a vintage Airstream just as good as a new one with new axles, brakes and new appliances (plus a few other improvements to the electrical and plumbing systems, etc). You can not make an old TV just as good as a new one IMHO.

But like Mike says camping is camping; I don't care if the guy next to me is in a tent or a Prevost, I will go talk to him and hopefully they are both happy cuz they are camping and not working.

Dan
Old 12-28-2011, 10:26 AM   #64
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, just because you bought, or own, an Airstream doesn't mean you are rich and have a money tree in your back yard. I keep reading statements like: Well if you paid $70,000.00 for your trailer and $50,000.00 for your tow vehicle You should buy:

(1.) A $3,000.00 hitch.

(2.) A $300.00 vacuum cleaner.

(3.) A $400.00 heater.

(4.) All new wheels and disk brakes.

(5.) A $1,200.00 brake controller.

And the list is endless!

Some of these people just might have a $100,000.00 loan on their trailer and tow vehicle, and actually, can barely afford to make the payments. Well, not everyone needs, wants, or can afford these items. And they certainly don't need someone shaming them deeper in dept.

Note: I don't have any of these items listed.
I thought I had marked this thread to ignore. However it popped up again, so I will take that as a sign to express my take on the subject.

I don't know what got you started on this, but I think it is based on your interpretations of other's motives. That is always a risky business. (It is also what I'm doing now)

As I think about it, most of the posts that I remember fitting your lament, are either responses to "what do you use?" questions, or else someone being excited about some new product they bought and wanting to share their excitment.

So as I understand it, if someone's advice is not to your likeing, then they should keep it to themself. Please remember a few facts:

You are not the only one on the forums, so what offends you, might be helpful to someone else.

If everyone shared your exact same set of likes and dislikes, the world would be a very boring place although you might feel more secure.

If you are reading something that is offensive to you, then stop reading it.

Finally, never let others know where your goat is tied. There are those such as I, who will go to great efforts to get it simply for their own amusement.

Relax and enjoy the rest of the holiday season.

Ken

P.S. no charge for the counseling. I'm not licensed anyway.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:39 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I just bought this to keep the grass down around my Airstream, It is the latest and greatest. It also fertilizes as it cuts the grass. $ 600.00

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:52 AM   #66
ProPride, Inc.
Commercial Member

Grand Blanc , Michigan
Send a message via Skype™ to Sean Woodruff
Who is paying $3000+ for a hitch anymore?

-
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:52 AM   #67
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
2002 19' Bambi
2005 30' Classic
Dover , Arkansas
Beer

Polarlyse, one on the forum might want to know is it brand name beer or no label ????
Old 12-28-2011, 12:18 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
and does it come with a goat???
Old 12-28-2011, 03:12 PM   #69
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Got one of these ordered for the Burb....

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
2002 19' Bambi
2005 30' Classic
Dover , Arkansas
Goat

With the goat, we wouldn't have to worry about getting rid of the cans.....