Old 12-27-2011, 08:19 AM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
It doesn't take long to realize that every single one of us wants 3 to 5 things that we can't afford on our mad money - so, we start making choices about what we REALLY want.

Paula
Inspiring reminder Paula!

We are all unbelievably fortunate to have an Airstream that we can enjoy with family and friends. It seems living well within our means (whatever that means) is a prerequisite to truly enjoying the essence of Airstreaming.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:24 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetOutDoors
... my wife and I decided this life is not just about the destination, but also about the journey... After all, we have no guarantee we will ever get to the destination ...
Carpe Diem!

Old 12-27-2011, 08:36 AM   #45
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
The tamale pot travels with us everywhere. Fun, labor intensive food, that is as fun to make as it is to eat.
To each his own was my original point.
Okay, after reading this thread, I must admit that it has me wanting a tamale pot now. I'm going to scroll up and read Paula's post hourly for the next two days until that "want" passes. LOL!
Old 12-27-2011, 11:19 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, just because you bought, or own, an Airstream doesn't mean you are rich and have a money tree in your back yard. I keep reading statements like: Well if you paid $70,000.00 for your trailer and $50,000.00 for your tow vehicle You should buy:

(1.) A $3,000.00 hitch.

(2.) A $300.00 vacuum cleaner.

(3.) A $400.00 heater.

(4.) All new wheels and disk brakes.

(5.) A $1,200.00 brake controller.

And the list is endless!

Some of these people just might have a $100,000.00 loan on their trailer and tow vehicle, and actually, can barely afford to make the payments. Well, not everyone needs, wants, or can afford these items. And they certainly don't need someone shaming them deeper in dept.

Note: I don't have any of these items listed.
Bob,

What's up with the broad-brushing?

Can't say I remember any threads 'shaming' folks into burning money...

I do see lot's of information that falls into three categories:
design specifications, first hand experience, and 'free' advice.

You can decide what's worth paying attention to.

AFA vacuum's go, we've got a 20 year old Kirby.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:39 AM   #47
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ;1086278

(1.) A $3,000.00 hitch.

(3.) A $400.00 heater.

Did somebody get a lump of coal for Christmas?

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:44 AM   #48
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sunset Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, just because you bought, or own, an Airstream doesn't mean you are rich and have a money tree in your back yard. I keep reading statements like: Well if you paid $70,000.00 for your trailer and $50,000.00 for your tow vehicle You should buy:

(1.) A $3,000.00 hitch.

(3.) A $400.00 heater.

And the list is endless!

Some of these people just might have a $100,000.00 loan on their trailer and tow vehicle, and actually, can barely afford to make the payments. Well, not everyone needs, wants, or can afford these items. And they certainly don't need someone shaming them deeper in dept.

Here! Here!

Thanks for posting this Bob, I couldn't agree more! Maybe if these people feel that they need to purchase all of this expensive stuff to be a true Airstreamers, then they need to just skip the Airstream dealer all together and go directly the the nearest Prevost dealer instead.

It is not about how much money it takes to have fun, but rather how much fun you can have with the money that you've got.

Happy Holidays,
Rion
GinMame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:41 PM   #49
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I personally have a very strange mix of budget and mid-high end. No one would make any sense of it but me probably.

Here on this forum I see a lot of practical sense which I like. While I don't have high end hitches and disk brakes on the trailer, I have little doubt that they're superior, or at least substantially better than my stuff.

Where I feel like banging my head into wall is audio forums. Just too much "subjectivism" for my taste. Oh yea, sure I can hear that speaker cable sounds different. The "soundstage" is so much better with this DAC. I'm pretty much by my lonesome on that subject and don't feel I have much to add.

I just don't like getting in arguments with otherwise nice people about this stuff. What I like best about this forum is a relative lack of 'grumpy old man" essence.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Nice going Robert. You sure know how to stir the pot. I like the banter. Seems like there are a lot of deep feelings left in this Forum yet. Thanks for bringing them to the surface.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:16 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I thought about it for a while before I decided to post any response.

My take on most of the exchanges here are people just trying to be helpful.

If I were to ask which generator is best on a forum frequented by other RV’ers, I would assume I would get answers from a wide sampling of folks that use a generator in a similar manor as my intended use. I can then take their suggestions or not. In this case, I have tried several brands, read what is on the forums about gen sets, and found the Honda EU2000i twins to be what I like. I am able to afford them and bought them.
Others may or may not choose the same product for any number of reasons. I, or anyone else for that matter, am not in any position to judge what one might find fits their needs.

The same is true with any other product mentioned here.

While I am on the soap box, (caution, here comes the “uphill to school both ways in the snow” part) I grew up on a small ranch. I have been around horses, cattle and other live stock most of my life. In my teens and into college, we hauled two 1500 pound roping horses in small 12’ long tandem axle bumper hitch trailers. We all used 1980s ton short bed pickups for tow vehicles. In the thousands of miles I drove, and knew of companions and coworkers doing the same thing, none of us ever hurt a horse or had the trailer wreck us. We did pay attention to brakes, tires and the condition of the wooden floor of the trailer. (Now you know why I am used to AS, ha).

That said, I have no interest in a Hensley hitch. No matter how many fellow forums folk or other Airstreamers say I need one. If you have one and like it, great. I am happy you like your rig. I wish you safe travels always. But I feel I am safe without one. And, I have not thrown caution to the wind. I use industry standard, factory built hitches, working brake controllers, and good tires.

Use the forum for what it is: A place for folks with some common interests to share information.

My thought is this:
One is responsible for one’s own life and actions. No one else. Allowing someone else to make decisions for you, directly or indirectly, is your own fault.

Being offended is your RE-action, not someone else’s action.

Best Regards and Happy Travels!
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:03 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Ditto; Still Got Mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
I bought a new Kawasaki 500 in '71; then a 750 triple in '74; now I have an '81 CSR 1000 which I bought new.
Same story (paid $999 for it), but no bikes in between until my 1999 purchase of a new Hayabusa.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Annoying Thing (Google it) on Kawasaki.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	147683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hayabusa Side.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	147684  

Old 12-27-2011, 03:19 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Jeff:

I agree with what you are saying. I use what industry has available. My Airstream uses the sway bars chains it came with. I drive about 10 car lengths behind the guy in front of me and pull no faster then 60 miles an hour on the freeway. I am camping and not in a hurry so people are welcomed to pass me. My trailer never rocks back and forth and it pulls like a dream.

Restoration goes on by Airstreamers who have not taken RV tech courses and lack the RV technician certification to perform certain tasks. This could be considered a risk (I have no rv certification). I have had Certified Techs look at my rig and they feel everything meets industry standard when pulling. I also have had RV Techs check my gas lines to make sure they are up to standard. RV Techs always tell me to have a professional check it out.

If we are talking safety then lets talk about how fast some people pull their RV's. I am talking all kinds of RV's. It feaks me out when I see
someone pulling an RV with a big Diesel going 80 miles an hour riding somebody elses bumper. Now that is crazy driving. I don't care what type of pulling safety gear you have. That is reckless driving especially coming down I75 towards atlanta any day of the week at anytime. Keep your foot off the gas and take your time. Safe driving will prevent accidents.

Brian
Old 12-27-2011, 03:51 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
Paranoid

I grew up from VW campers and tents and always wanted an Airstream. After I retired I did the math and realized I could afford the payments on one as long as I could use my F150 as a tow vehicle. Bought a new 19' International and went down to Oregon and picked it up. I was really happy with the trailer as it came from the dealer and started touring around the Northwest enjoying it. Then I started reading the Airforums and became totally paranoid. You need WD, OEM tires are no good, you need disc brakes, etc., etc. All this making me feel I bought a piece of crap and I need to spend $25,000 to make it right. Well, sorry folks, I'm not buying that. I'm headed for Q town tomorrow morning with my OEM Airstream!

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:11 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I agree with Brian and 50KIP. Most ST tires I know of are rated for a max speed of 65 mph. Why run them at their top rated speed. I run at 60 mph or slower if conditions warrant. So far I've made it to all of my destinations. I also follow the 300- 350mile by 3:00 rule. It works for me.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:36 PM   #56
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
. . . . What I like best about this forum is a relative lack of 'grumpy old man" essence.
Sorry, I've been under the weather lately and haven't posted that much.
Glad you noticed my absence.