Old 12-26-2011, 12:08 PM   #29

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I've been to a lot of AS rallys and in person I've never seen any division between rich and poor. Once we're around the campfire, we all have more in common than not.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:37 PM   #30
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
I've been to a lot of AS rallys and in person I've never seen any division between rich and poor. Once we're around the campfire, we all have more in common than not.
Any divisions I've seen seem to exist in a single individual's head... when one lives in Silicon Valley, there's always someone w/ a bigger checkbook, so I like to see what people have done (either themselves or by proxy) with an Airstream as a canvas. A bone stock original Airstream, whether new or painstakingly restored, remains some else's vision. I appreciate the skill needed to restore an older unit - but I appreciate more the ideas needed to construct one's own unique vision of what an Airstream could be.

- Bart

http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:40 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
That "You have an Airstream so you must have megabucks" just doesn't hold water, nor does the hypothetical division of "Have money, buy new; don't have money, buy vintage."

It's about what you want to or are able to do with your free time. Some like to tinker and buy vintage even if they could swing a new one. Others will scrimp a bit to buy new or newer because tinkering isn't their cup of tea. I love to see the diverse pathways of different owners and their Airstreams. The one thing in common is a taste for rounded aluminum.

Those outside the Airstream community don't have the understanding of the nuances of Aistream ownership. All is judged by the price of a new unit. As with most generalizations, Airstream = $$$$ doesn't hold water once you look closely.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:38 PM   #32

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I've had people ask how much my AS is worth, and they usually are disappointed in the number - people do seem to have an attitude that they are worth a LOT of money. Frankly, my 40 year old AS is still worth less than most of the white boxes in any park we go to.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:40 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I think that this is very well said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetOutDoors View Post
Each and every one of us need to take full responsibility for our own actions and not be upset at others who made good decisions.

We are the most giving nation in history, and at times have been one of the hardest working. Why throw a tantrum over what you don't have?
I even would expand that to say that there is really no good in getting upset over others' decisions at all, whether they be good or bad in your mind. (To that end, I've learned the benefits of blocking certain parts of the forums.)

I'm reading rather good book called "Happiness at Work;" despite the title, it actually takes a wider view on happiness and how it depends mostly on what's between your ears. One of the main premises of the book is that we each live in a reality. Not necessarily the reality, but a reality - a construct.

The implication of this is that when you read these forums, words on a screen without context, their interpretation is open to the individual. It all depends on your situation and your beliefs.

To me, there are very few of these threads where I read them and set the computer down, thinking "I REALLY need to get me one of those!" And there are even fewer that I read and think "I REALLY need to get me one of those, or I'm going to die/run over a bunch of nuns and baby ducks/won't be a real Airstreamer." Sure, some of them spin that way, but I know better than to bite...

Personally, I now have more invested in my Argosy than in a decent used late-model Bambi. I spend plenty of time searching the classifieds for a used 23' Ocean Breeze or Serenity, and I've "built" a new Grand Cherokee plenty of times online. Some day...

But it's worth realizing that nicer things don't solve all the problems - they just make different ones. (Hence the long threads.) And they won't make Airstreaming more fun - and that's the main goal. Maybe more comfy, maybe a touch safer - but when you go to a rally and see someone having a blast in their vintage "aluminum tent" right next to a modern 25SS CCD, it puts it all into perspective.

Tom
Old 12-26-2011, 02:23 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Thank goodness some people buy new Airstreams so the pipeline of used ones can continue.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #35
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
We also have a hand held Dyson in the trailer. It was originally $200, we got it for about $60. It is a must have in the trailer. A full charge lasts four days of picking up behind kids. Wind tunnel technology at work. It might be a luxury, but worth it in my life. The tamale pot travels with us everywhere. Fun, labor intensive food, that is as fun to make as it is to eat.
To each his own was my original point. Airstreamers, old rig, new rig, tricked rig, broke down POS, they all tend to be great people and worth getting to know.
I know, I personally, CANNOT wait to get the winter past me and get out streaming again!!!
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:43 PM   #36
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The problem will all of these folks is that a good number of them spend too much time trying to justify their decisions. This is when the discussions of hitches, wheels, disc brakes and such will get nasty. This forum is a great place for people to discuss their trailers and what they have, what they like and what they are using. I love to read all the opinions but when someone with disc brakes tells me that I won't be able to stop my trailer in time to avoid killing my family, or the guy with a $3K hitch says I am gambling with the safety of everyone around me, that is when everything goes south in a hurry.

So, I agree with your statement about people trying to "shame" others into purchasing all of the stuff in the list. Those who try to put pressure on us are the ones trying real hard to justify how they spend their money.

Examples to bolster this contention are under what links, if you please?

This is naught but the misrepresentation of arguments about good, better, best. And casts aspersions on those involved in them, that their motivations are suspect without weight given to arguments made. For shame . . for so poorly reading what is written and to not giving others the latitude needed with shared interests.

These vehicles are things, and the contention around them is not about persons, but supporting data or illustrative experience. If that end of the pool is too deep, or the references too trying to grasp, then leave it alone. When it's the turn of any of us to plumb the collective depth then it was those arguments which lend insight and new direction to the present dilemma among participants.

Of which this thread is an example, as one needs to know how things work. The range, and the depth, make this thread one of a number to bookmark at this level as the concerns are not trivial.

When I read about European turbodiesel AWD SUV's with the full panoply of electronic controls -- on websites, enthusiast magazines, forums -- it isn't because I am considering buying one. It's beyond me, it doesn't fit my use, and it's outside my goals. Yet it does provide another understanding about "best TV"; of what that may consist. And why. What I read here among those who use them, and where or why they move away from them or towards them, is grist for the mill. The money is irrelevant.

Quit blaming others for (false) embarrassments. Don't assign them your own shortcomings.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:07 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Scratching my head

I am still trying to figure out what the point of this thread is about.....I must be really dense.

Let's go camping folks.....bring whatever equipment you have......we don't care what it is.....we are happy for everyone jump starting our economy and remember to buy "Made in America." or not............paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
Sequatchie , Tennessee
Be Happy, Dont Worry

Its all about that. I work in a log mill, Im not rich, Im not poor, Im happy. I gave $500.00 for my 66 TradeWind,(that was a deal from a friend that didnt need it anymore) I tow with a 77 Ford Explorer Custom, what a combo. The thing Im getting at is that we have just as much fun as the folks right next to us, if not more, I dont care who gives what for what. Im happy for you if you pull in a rig that cost $11000.00, just as I would be if your rig cost $11.00. Be Happy, Dont Worry
Old 12-26-2011, 06:50 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
I bought me self a trailer...

I bought me self a trailer, it was just a wee bit small.
Barely standing room only, as I was too tall.

As I scratched my nose, I could smell my toes.
There must be something better, so would asked if my genius cousin knows. So...

I bought me self an Air Stream, all pretty and bright.
My relatives wanted to know my address, so they could write.

I found me self a wife, and two Heelers, a tow hitch and ball and
had money left to decorate the hall.

Next time if I were smarter, I would save up some cash,
Thinking that somewhere I could buy something that would last.
It need not be shiny, nor flashy nor brash.
Just not some flimsy piece of trash.

Had I been more careful, I would still be camping in class,
married to an Angel with two Heelers and sitting on my as*.
But my cash was all printed from my Epson by felonous writ,
and all of my camping will have to wait for a bit.
As the warden is also an Air Stream owner and now has the time,
with my Angel and two Heelers while I bide my time.

Happy New Year to ALL of you AS and non AS owners. If your home on wheels is old or new, shiny or dull, it matters not to the true spirit of Rockdocking, Boondocking and Resort parking. Blessed are we all!!!
Old 12-26-2011, 11:34 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Vienna , VIRGINIA
As a teen my parents took us camping in a small Travco MH. Every trip was an adventure. Something would break, something odd or out of the ordinary would happen, and occassionally things would actually go as planned. My favorite was nearly running out of gas in Yellowstone because my father refused to pay $0.76 per gallon at the last station in the Tetons.

What always impressed me was the special / good nature of other campers that we met along the way...how they helped one another and how they respected each other....not what they were in, how it was outfitted or their station in life. I concluded there was a class of people who simply chose not to stay in a hotel....and they were good folks to hang with. For the last 20+ years I've camped in tents. Single, married, with kids, divorced, and for a short period even when I had no home. The adventures continued. My young sons now make instant friends at just about any campground.

Aside from your health, there's very few things in life that are necessary and it's much a matter of where you are in the hierarchy of needs and the means you have to satisfy your needs. I bought a vintage airstream just because it was not much different in (initial) cost than a new pop up. Along the way I discovered an entire community came with it I'm looking forward to continuing the journey with my sons in an Airstream. This forum, the ideas expressed, the determination shown in progress toward a goal, the craftsmanship of work displayed in photos, the leaks, and the community just happen to be part of the latest adventure.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:58 AM   #41
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3sonsdad View Post
As a teen my parents took us camping in a small Travco MH. Every trip was an adventure. Something would break, something odd or out of the ordinary would happen, and occassionally things would actually go as planned. My favorite was nearly running out of gas in Yellowstone because my father refused to pay $0.76 per gallon at the last station in the Tetons.

What always impressed me was the special / good nature of other campers that we met along the way...how they helped one another and how they respected each other....not what they were in, how it was outfitted or their station in life. I concluded there was a class of people who simply chose not to stay in a hotel....and they were good folks to hang with. For the last 20+ years I've camped in tents. Single, married, with kids, divorced, and for a short period even when I had no home. The adventures continued. My young sons now make instant friends at just about any campground.

Aside from your health, there's very few things in life that are necessary and it's much a matter of where you are in the hierarchy of needs and the means you have to satisfy your needs. I bought a vintage airstream just because it was not much different in (initial) cost than a new pop up. Along the way I discovered an entire community came with it I'm looking forward to continuing the journey with my sons in an Airstream. This forum, the ideas expressed, the determination shown in progress toward a goal, the craftsmanship of work displayed in photos, the leaks, and the community just happen to be part of the latest adventure.
Bingo.....whacked that rivet.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:53 AM   #42
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Well this thread seems to have veered off into the merits of the Airstream community, which are considerable, and the RVing community, which are also pretty high.

I don't know whether that has anything to do with the opening post or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, just because you bought, or own, an Airstream doesn't mean you are rich and have a money tree in your back yard. I keep reading statements like: Well if you paid $70,000.00 for your trailer and $50,000.00 for your tow vehicle You should buy:

(1.) A $3,000.00 hitch.

(2.) A $300.00 vacuum cleaner.

(3.) A $400.00 heater.

(4.) All new wheels and disk brakes.

(5.) A $1,200.00 brake controller.

And the list is endless!

Some of these people just might have a $100,000.00 loan on their trailer and tow vehicle, and actually, can barely afford to make the payments. Well, not everyone needs, wants, or can afford these items. And they certainly don't need someone shaming them deeper in dept.

Note: I don't have any of these items listed.
Get whatever vacuum cleaner you want, or a broom.

But many people on the forums, including me, believe that there are certain minimum standards of safety that should be met particularly involving the areas towing and propane appliances. Safety is a tradeoff in most cases against cost, time, and convenience. If you can't afford to operate your rig safely well perhaps you should think hard about selling it and take up a less expensive hobby.

The cheapest brake controllers aren't safe for large, heavy trailers operated at freeway speeds. So yes you have to have a good inertial controller or a Maxbrake or an integrated one and yes they cost more.

Neither are the cheapest hitches, and there are many people on the forums who believe that for a 30' Airstream the minimum safe hitching configuration is something involving integrated sway control like the Reese dual cam. There are particular combinations of tow vehicles and trailers where the $3000 hitch is believed to be the minimum necessary for safe operation; yours isn't one of them. That said there is a growing consensus among people who have towed with both types of hitches that the $3000 hitches do improve safety.

I've written elsewhere that I believe that unvented catalytic heaters aren't safe because of the CO risk and O2 depletion risk, and I believe that the safety of portable electric heaters is questionable because in many cases there's no place to put them that is reliably free of bedding, upholstery, and other easily ignitable material. The alternatives are more expensive. Maybe you're referring to furnaces made by IOB or with failing heat exchangers -- the safety problems with those are clear and well documented.

I don't walk up to people strange to me and tell them to change their rig around. But when people ask questions I'll share the safety side of the story and suggest alternatives. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I suppose you might consider that to be indirect criticism of your rig but that's what the forums are about.