Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-17-2010, 09:51 PM   #21
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
You will have to get the margarita out of my hand first.
The more you drink, the better I do.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:17 PM   #22
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
I've been wondering why all the people who tow Airstreams with heavy duty pickup trucks don't buy 5th wheel trailers. They already have the tow vehicle and you can buy a really big roomy fiver for less than an Airstream.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:22 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganaraska View Post
I've been wondering why all the people who tow Airstreams with heavy duty pickup trucks don't buy 5th wheel trailers. They already have the tow vehicle and you can buy a really big roomy fiver for less than an Airstream.
Maybe they want an Airstream.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:46 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
Quality...

I wanted an AS for ten years before I got one. Every time one went by my heart skipped a beat...

Quality...(please don't jump all over me for that statement) When I sat in SOB's it just did not feel right for me and then I sat in an AS...and my heart skipped a beat...

I just smile every time I look out the window and see it in the yard. Counting the days until the season starts, then next trip, new projects and places to see.
It is my stress relief and it is my passion...It's a state of mind:. Freedom.

I am so grateful to have my AS...for me it represents a good value and quality workmanship I truly love. Yes I have had my share of items to fix QC items but so is life.

Lin.
WBCCI #8701* TAC MA-1 * NEU UNIT
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:49 AM   #25
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

""Sounds like I'd better get an advance discount on a funeral since I'll probably stroke out before the end of the year. 65! I'd like to be back there again. Now I have to wonder if I'll make it to 5 years, especially since when we bought a new one, 65 was history for me. Rodney, you whippersnapper, next time I see you (if I can still see), we'll have to arm wrassle (during happy hour, of course)." Gene

Whats with all this 65 cr@p, if thats true I'm way past the point of no return in getting any gratification out of all my needed "upgrades."
Old 02-18-2010, 07:30 AM   #26
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Maybe they want an Airstream.
YUP!!!

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:50 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
I dont think most buyers are all that worried about their rigs lasting a long time. I get the feeling that a lot of buyers have the plan of using them a few years as they do the trip of a life time kind of thing and then sell them. Face it, if someone is 65 buying a new camper what are the odds they will be using it over five years. Those doing so over ten are probably pretty rare. Given that, who would want to spend twice as much on construction designed to out live themselves?
Hi Gen Disarray;
I guess you are not willing to leave anything valuable to your offsprings.
I have built my 1973 26' Argosy to last a hundred or more years. Built a new 2" X 6" Stainless Steel box frame and aluminum clad plywood floor and insulated it well with buuble foil. All thin coated marine stranded wire.
No steel anywhere other than hitch coupler, steps, undercarriage and appliances. Who knows 200 years from now it may be on display in a museum, or my family will have something to remember me by. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:36 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
We looked @ 5th Whl units this wknd. Wanted small 24 -26 ft. w/Artic Pkg. I think Like some ,we alway's look for the "Ultimate Trailer " (or Canoe or sea Kayak.) It's fun and we usually go home being thankful for what we have!
The saleman was good and the Keystone / Cougar looked good .Don't understand why the have to make them so tall tho! After the viewing we went back alone/to talk it thru. The sun was @ a different point in the sky.We then saw the "Bulges" on a new 2009 and 2010 back wall.Pushed on wall and they Gave.Both had sign's of Delamination. Terrible to see on NEW units.
Went home and our AS looked a Lot Better.( I hope our AS Dosn't know we were Looking.) LOL.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:45 AM   #29
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
I dont think most buyers are all that worried about their rigs lasting a long time. I get the feeling that a lot of buyers have the plan of using them a few years as they do the trip of a life time kind of thing and then sell them. Face it, if someone is 65 buying a new camper what are the odds they will be using it over five years. Those doing so over ten are probably pretty rare. Given that, who would want to spend twice as much on construction designed to out live themselves?
For petes sake, read what I wrote before getting your panties in a bunch. I was speaking to my perception of the masses buying rvs and what the average intended use was.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:51 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I agree, though, with Rodney's original perception: Folks buy those white-sided rigs with the intention of "upgrading" within the next five years or so. It's pretty amazing to watch discussions on, e.g., RV.net: Old rig is late 90s; vintage is mid-90s. Geez. Airstreams are just getting broken in properly in the 90s.

Lynn
Old 02-18-2010, 09:02 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Gene
Come check my pulse.Im 70+ maybe I have stroked out and am just imagining Im here. I would like to use my AS for at least 10 more yrs.
SHANE
We looked at new AS's and 5th wheels and moto homes,in access of a 100 k .We settled on our 77 AS because of all the factors mentioned above.The one 5 wheel we looked at had everything,but it was 13'6" high What a sail.I would have hated to pull that in the wind and Im an old retired trucker and know about 13/6 trailers.
Be happy with what you have. With a little tlc It will last ya a lifetime.

Im glad we purchased what we have.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:13 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
At the Texas Vintage Airstream rally last week there was one of the very rare Airstream 5th wheel trailers. I think it was an 88. Of course it was not Aluminum just one of Thor's SOB square body models at that time with Airstream painted on it. I think they only made these for a few years.

Don
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:03 AM   #33
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
For petes sake, read what I wrote before getting your panties in a bunch. I was speaking to my perception of the masses buying rvs and what the average intended use was.
Rodney, old men don't wear panties, we wear Depends. After I stroke out in my nearly new Airstream, I will come back as a zombie and keep traveling.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:26 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
I apologize for my reaction to your perception. Until I checked your profile, I did not realize that you were not yet old enough to have a valid perception about age.

Regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:23 AM   #35
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
You guys quit waving your walking canes and site back down on your scooters before you throw your backs out.

Last Saturday I was pretty disgruntled about all the things I've been having to fix lately on a less than 3 year old International. I actually mumbled something about trading it in, which got That Look from the DW, who loves her Airstream.

We went to the fairgrounds for a pretty good size sportsman show with lots of new RV's. First thing there, I hit the beer stand for a cold one before setting out to see what I wanted instead. I probably stepped into 20 motorhomes ranging in price from $40,000 to $280,000, another 30 tow trailers and 5er's from $25,000 to $90,000. As I stepped out of the last one I said "screw this crap, lets go look at the classic cars and trucks".

Fixing the last few things Sunday seemed to go a lot easier. Can't wait to head out again in a week.

Kevin
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:00 PM   #36
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Me, I just feel sorry for all you youngsters and old coots who are not 60.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:29 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
2005 16' International CCD
2012 27' FB International
Salt Lake City , Utah
This thread has been fun to read. We are going out tonight to the RV show here in Salt Lake City, UT to see all of the latest and greatest trailers, 5th Wheels, Motorhomes, etc. Seems like each time we go, I get home and appreciate my 1991 Airstream even more... I am thankful, always thankful it's an Airstream we are pulling each camping season!!
Utahgoldrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:33 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Unhappy A SOB Story

In 2000, I bought a very respected brand of SOB brand spanking new.
Here are some the things I encountered. ( I fixed most of these myself, because it was PITA to take in back to the dealer, whom I didn't trust anyway)

They installed my hitch and sent me home with a 2 5/16 inch hitch on an 2" ball

Air conditioner ran but did not cool the trailer. They had forgot put the screws into a baffle whose purpose was to direct the air into the trailer. I had to completely disassemble the inside portion of the air conditioner.

On first trip, I noticed that gray water was dripping from underneath holding tank cover. Fitting on tank outlet was cracked. It was obviously cracked when they installed it as the sealant was inside the crack.

Radio/TV system was mis wired.

Drain under sink leaked due to fitting cross threaded.

Shower drain leaked because fitting not tightened.

In less than one year, areas of bubbles in the gel coat appeared. They required extensive repair. I let the dealer do that.

Sealant blocking skylight drain channels, so water came inside trailer instead.

Refrigerator defrost drain tube not connected so water drained into trailer.

After the warranty expired, the front window rock guard hinge came partially loose. The dealer determined that it had been installed too high and the screws had missed the 2x2 that was behind the fiberglass to hold it in place. I still had to pay for repair which included total re-installation in proper location and fill original holes.

On first trip, brakes stopped working on one side because a crimp wire connector was in place, but had never been crimped.

This is just what I remember without thinking hard about it. I am sure there are more.

Compared to that I am Loving the Airstream.

Regards,
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:49 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Yeah, Ken, we've seen a little of that here, too. One young couple came in a year or two ago with a brand-spanking new white-sided rig. I helped them with hooking it up (they didn't know how) and left. They soon came to get me with leaks in the kitchen cabinet. Soooo, when it was manufactured, they put in the plumbing (pex) and then built the cabinet around it. Except that the nail gun they used on the cabinet had perforated the plumbing left and right.

Thank heavens for fast-dry JB Weld. Pulled the nails, patched the holes in the pex, and got them back on their newbie feet.

Lynn
Old 02-18-2010, 04:22 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
Wow, I sensed a little bitterness. Which stream did you have. I'm curious. Did you just get a Lemon or have you found that all ,and I assume, newer Airstreams are that way?

Also which 5th wheel did you replace it with.

Not gonna defend Airstream just want the knowledge. I'm happy with my purchase, so far. Please enlighten me.

Shane
I had a 2004 Classic Limited for 3 years and replaced it with a 2008 Newmar Kounty Aire.

I got just one of many poor quality Airstreams that have been built since, at least, 2000. I do not believe all of them have been built as poorly as mine was, and a number of Airstream purchasers don't really mind buying a poorly built trailer and overpaying for it, so more power to them, but if you did get a good unit it is more a matter of chance than design IMO, however.

Here's a picture of my 5th wheel (foreground), and our neighbors 5th wheel, who are fulltimers, in their Travel Supreme (I think theirs is a 2000 model).

I doubt if I'll keep my 5th wheel for 10 years, but if I wanted to I'm sure it would last well beyond the 20 years I may have left to enjoy RVing in my lifetime, and I'll enjoy the comforts of staying in it much more than I could possibly enjoy any Airstream.

John

ps. Our Kountry Aire and our friends Travel Supreme are both 40', 20,000# gvw, 3 slide-out trailers.