Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2004, 06:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
John Deere, McCormick & Case oh, and Airstream

Sorry, this is on a sorta diff subject...Airsteam to me is the epitomy of travel traiers....

Harkening back to my childhood in the late '40s and still there was thinking about good olde John Deere and on our fam farm the McCormick (deering)....

Am I remembering correctly about McCormick... was there a "deering" in there?

Maybe I be/am older (am that) and confused.... I think McCormick had "deering" in there name????

Did they? Oh, and they probably could pull an Airstream

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 07:15 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
We had Farmalls and one lone Massey-Harris. Don't recall when McCormick and Deering parted ways Now we have a Massey-Feurgeson, Farmall, John Deere and a Case.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 07:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Wow, you still have a fam farm? Farm implements have become so large...and I do mean large in KS....

Wonder how you can exist. A "tractor" and this is diff than the Farmall or the Fordson, or the Model G (Loves John Deere, here) think that it is such big business..

You must have been there forever (several generations of your type and you inderited THE LAND) or you work your heart out everyday
Old 11-03-2004, 07:33 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Kistler,
Grandparents on both sides were Iowa dairy farmers. Parents chose not to farm. The "farm" we live on now has been in wife's family for over 80 years, all that is left is the back 40 acres We currently keep most of it in pasture for grazing or hay. We are in the process of adding some boarding stables for horses and reworking part of it for pecan trees and cutting timber for pulp wood. Most of the tractors we have now would be considered collectibles, (forgot we have a Ford Silver Jubilee too) We still use them for mowing, scraping the road, pulling stumps, and putting in fence posts. I feel that the days of the small family farm are pretty well over in todays markets. Our land has become fairly suburban, it will be just a matter of time before we get swallowed up, unless the government gets it first. We are surrounded on 3 sides by Fort Bragg, NC. We enjoy what we have, and while we have it.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 07:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
"How nice for you" seems a little rough and I don't think a lot of people would feel sorry for you. BUT

Knowing what I do about taxes, costs of implements, maintenance, sorta don't envy you. Do envy you the feelings however of preservation of, how shall we say it, a way of life....Margaret Mitchell and her GONE WITH THE WIND novella/novel really cut a slice of our lives even though it didn't address the present.

OK, will try again for your understanding....must be hard for you but you hang on.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
"In 1902 Five companys merged to for International Harvester still keeping there names.
"In 1923 International Harvester consolidated into the McCormick-Deering name"

I have not found when the "-Deering" was droped, but it is some time around WW II
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 08:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Thumbs up

Everone should try to attend at least one "Threshers Reunion" tractor/implement show at least once in their lifetime. They are always on a weekend, in the country, with camping nearby. Many have flea markets and craft fairs. Go for the history and the machinery and come away realizing how hard our ancesters had to work to survive.
My personal favorites are the Case traction (steam) tractors. Nothing in the world like the smell of hot valve oil and woodsmoke.
Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 10:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
In September, we actually had a rally at Old Thresher Days in Yuma, Colorado. We caravanned into town together down Main Street and were a hit!!! We were invited guests, parked on the fairgrounds and shared our trailers, both old & new, with the visitors during an open house. It was so much fun, we're planning to do it again in 2005 ~

Oh yeah...we got to check out all the old tractors, threshers & equipment and I came in 5th in my first ever skillet toss.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 11:23 PM   #9
AIR #6370

2001 27' Safari
Bella Vista , Arkansas
Smile Are you sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by till
"In 1902 Five companys merged to for International Harvester still keeping there names.
"In 1923 International Harvester consolidated into the McCormick-Deering name"

I have not found when the "-Deering" was droped, but it is some time around WW II
Are you sure? I thought it was McCormick Deering that became International Harverster. Then Case (J.I.Case) bought International Harvester to become Case-International. About three years ago AGCO, the old Allis Chalmers, became the parent of Case-International, leaving (Ford)-New Holland, John Deere, and now Caterpillar as independent manufacturers. I hope I have this correct.
hmsteader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 11:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Once

This topic reminds me of..
My childhood years on the farm in NC in the late 40's and, early 50's..
It seemed then that everyone in our family had a farm..The not too fond memories of morning chores, chopping wood, gathering eggs, etc..lol
Sunday was the best part of the week and the visits to distant relatives for social gatherings, meals, games. The exhaustive ride back home late that afternoon/evening. It amazes me now, in hinesight, how we ever found the "time" for all the things we did then..(No TV or 'puters then of course..)
Kistler,
Abt this time 5 yrs ago, while I was in North Pole (Greenland), we were visited by a famous/well known author by the name of Roger Welsch, who had written a book that you may find interesting..I know I did~!
Busted Tractors and Rusty Knuckles, is without a doubt, one of the most interesting, humorous books I've read..One of George Burns' book is another one that comes to mind...lol
If you haven't read this one yet, I strongly recommend you search for it..
I seem to recall that he has written others but not their titles.
BTW, I've often toyed with the thought of picking up an old tractor for just the purpose of moving my Airstreams around on the property..You gotta love that sharp turning radius~!!
Thanks for the kewl 'flashbacks'..
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 08:53 AM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
How very, very funny that this would come up. Being a city dweller, this subject would be totally foreign to me, however, for the past 3-4 years, I've been pretty active down in the Louisville area on my fiancée’s family farm. They have some REAL old Farmalls (2) from the 1930s. One from the 50s (I think), and two newer Farmalls, one large, one mid size. All are but one is diesel I believe and frankly, the older units are works of art. It was amazing to me to see how well these units do the job. The 1930s unit that is a gasser runs so smooth after all these years, I have yet too see a brand new car run as smooth as this 70+ year old tractor.

At some point when I finally get my web server back up and running, I'll have to post some pics. It's a hell of a life if you hit it right. Sure beats being a cubicle jockey!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 08:56 AM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
BTW, I've often toyed with the thought of picking up an old tractor for just the purpose of moving my Airstreams around on the property..
53FC
Funny also that you mention this, since my last visit on the farm with the Safari, we needed the Farmall to move the Safari as the Impala got somewhat stuck!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 09:07 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
This thread reminds me of that show I like to watch on RFD-TV sometimes - "Classic Tractor Fever" where they go to tractor shows at state fairs, and visit folks who have sometimes as many as 10 or twelve vintage tractors that they've had in various stages of restoration. One story was about a man an a woman who didn't meet and marry until they were into their golden years, and they both had their favorites - she was a John Deere gal and he was a Minneapolis Moline man - they even had their own lawn chairs they sat in that were decked out in colors and logos. It was a hoot!

I've been told (tongue in cheek) that I need to try to find something less exciting to watch.

For me, I grew up behind the wheel of an Oliver, a 550 and an 1850, respectively. Soon as I was old enough and strong enough to hold down the clutch, you couldn't keep me off of 'em!

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 09:11 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
This may be a crazy question, but I've always wondered why those old tractor engines run forever, whereas, we can't seem to get a car motor to last more that 10 years - is it because they are built so much better? I figure it can't be maintenance considering the way those tractors are used an abused.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 09:15 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
This may be a crazy question, but I've always wondered why those old tractor engines run forever, whereas, we can't seem to get a car motor to last more that 10 years - is it because they are built so much better? I figure it can't be maintenance considering the way those tractors are used an abused.

Ken
We had a '65 Triumph years ago, and I was told that it's engine was based on a Massey tractor engine, IIRC.... Far as I know, that car can still tear around pretty good.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 09:22 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Nice to know that their are "tractor lovers" here.....the book(s) mentioned above sound like good reading--hope they are illustrated/have pics.

One of our neighbors (Ernest LeBean) had a Rumley steam tractor....used only for parades Ernest passed on in the late 50's....I wonder what happened to his tractor????

I liked the John Deere's that had two cylinders, were started by opening the pet-cocks and turning the fly wheel. I don't remember the year but my father got a new G John Deere, wow, it had electric start. Luckily the steering wheel was removable and you took it off and inserted a plug which in turn was inserted into the fly wheel so you could still start it when the electric starter failed.......as I remember this was quite often.

One drawback to the "new G" was between the front wheels was a box (row cropper) that allowed the front wheels to go up and down independently....John Deere had a name for it....I can't remember the name right now.

The problem was this box between the wheels would get jammed with mud more easily and you had to steer with the brakes.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:49 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
I remember growing up on the farm we had a mowing machine that we pulled with a horse that was a McCorick Deering, proubly from the 40s. Marvin
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote