Old 04-08-2015, 05:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Job Offer in Glendale/Phoenix AZ - what do you know?

Hi all,

Hoping someone is familiar with the area of Glendale!

I received a fairly sweet (and totally out of the blue) job offer with Honeywell but I have never been to AZ and welcome any insight to the area. What are you impressions? Where should I consider for housing (1-year lease in a home for my pups)? Trailer storage?

If I decide to accept the offer, I will have to relocate immediately - no time for exploratory trip, et.al. Just hook up the A/S, load the dogs and head west.

Thanks for any suggestions...

Laura

Old 04-08-2015, 05:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
We love Arizona and Glendale is a part of the Phoenix area. Lots of interesting places to camp and visit. You will love it there. Depending on the location of your new office, there are tons of places to rent. Make sure you rent for a year before buying. By then you will really know where you want to live.

Pap

2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Glendale is a major suburb of Phoenix and located on the nw side of what we refer to as the valley.

The suburbs all run together here and it's a major city with not quite a metropolitan feel. Lots to do for all tastes and likes.

There are plenty of rental homes and nice apartment complexes available. Easy access to Flagstaff in the heat of the summer for a cool down weekend.

Anything specific you are looking for?

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:58 PM   #4
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Follow the money...it's a dry heat!

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
...it's a dry heat!
So is a fire!!
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
I'm assuming it's the facility on either Thunderbird or Bell. You'll want to go north of whichever Honeywell facility to find housing. More than a few miles south and things begin to get a little rough. You probably don't want to go too far east of the Bell facility, although Thunderbird going east has some nice areas.

Check the area before you sign anything.

But you will like Arizona - it's wide open, lots of room, and the scenery is desert then two hours later and you're in the pines. Lotsa fun stuff going on!
Old 04-08-2015, 07:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Hey drboyd: What do you mean "check area before signing"? I can't possibly visit before signing... any more time and the offer is retracted. They wanted someone local because they needed to fill the position ASAP. I convinced them I could be on-site in 30 days. After submitting over 158 applications in 16 months, I'm happy to receive such a sweet offer. What would be your concerns? Please tell!!

Hittenstiehl: looking for a house with fenced in yard for my pups. Hopefully under $1500/mo. Would love to be near an area that I could walk to some "night life" (restaurant or pup). And walk the dogs... is Phoenix "dog friendly"?

Laura
Old 04-08-2015, 09:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Just rent a house or apartment north of the office. $1500 a month should give you plenty of choices. You could also just park the Airstream in a RV Park while you're looking for semi-permanent housing. If you need anything when you get here, just PM us and we'll see what we can do to help out.

Phoenix is very dog-friendly - you'll probably have better luck finding a dog-friendly house as opposed to an apartment. Just check on Craigslist.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by drboyd View Post
Just rent a house or apartment north of the office. $1500 a month should give you plenty of choices. You could also just park the Airstream in a RV Park while you're looking for semi-permanent housing. If you need anything when you get here, just PM us and we'll see what we can do to help out.

Phoenix is very dog-friendly - you'll probably have better luck finding a dog-friendly house as opposed to an apartment. Just check on Craigslist.
Tanks!

I've been looking on Craigslist and found some places that look nice in Glendale and Goodyear. Somehow I think I need to fit a 2-day trip to the area to arrange some housing. I'll look for something more northern...

Laura
Old 04-08-2015, 09:34 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Glendale , Arizona
Hi Laura,

I currently live in Glendale. My family and I moved from Iowa and have no regrets. Don't miss the winters, but the summers can be a little warm. I view the area to be pet friendly. As for trailer storage there are quite a few facilities in the area. I can get you names and numbers if you would like. Make the move, you can always go back. That's what I told my wife and kids. We are all still here.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Goodyear is kind of a long way. Which Honeywell location would it be?
Old 04-09-2015, 01:44 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
I would agree that Goodyear is considered by us a ways off from north Glendale if that's where you will be. The freeway connection is good when there's no traffic but we do get heavy rush hours here. North Glendale is a nice area and north Phoenix also in the 101 / I 17 corridor. We tend to have long major cross streets that have major intersections about a mile apart. At those miles or every other there are usually strip malls with chain food, gas and conveniences.

I would consider the valley walking friendly as in big decent lighted sidewalks but a driving city because of our sprawl. Most of the independent small foodie type restaurants will be in the old downtown sections of each town.

Daytime walking here with pups will be out in the summer because of the extreme heat. If they're outdoor pups look for a backyard with north exposure and a shaded patio so they can stay out during the day. You won't be able to leave them in the car at all most of the year due to heat. We just had a fantastic winter and spring and that's why we live here. Summers are about air-conditioning and going out after dark. The joke of its a dry heat really makes a difference and we usually only have 4 weeks of monsoon/humidity and its very low compared to Midwest or back East.

Even if you take the job sight unseen a trip out to secure housing is a good idea. If you do a Craigslist add for a rental use a management company or ask if your landlord is the actual owner and if the property is in foreclosure or short sale. No need to pay rent to someone that will unexpected kick you out when the bank comes to change locks.

Let us know if you have specific questions as it looks you have lots of folks willing to help.

Hittenstiehl
Old 04-14-2015, 06:00 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Hey there - so, I've been able to get a flight out to PHX this weekend to look around. The homes that show up in the Glendale area (craigslist) aren't very desirable... anyone have a realtor that they can recommend?

I still see things that look good in Goodyear, Surprise - but I don't want to drive over 30 minutes to/from Honeywell (Thunderbird, 59th street address).

I am looking to rent - a home, not condo/apt, so that my dogs can stretch their legs in the evenings...

Laura
Old 04-14-2015, 06:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Hey no fair ;o) we live here and its great.

They asked for a Realtor not a rain cloud on their new job opportunity. ;o)

Hittenstiehl