Old 07-20-2006, 11:11 AM   #15
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Actually, the RPMs are about the same at 75 as they are at 55 because of the lower gear at 55. With the AS in tow, the ride in the 3/4 ton F-250 isn't that much different between the two speeds as long as the interstate is fairly good.

The biggest thing I have found as far as ride goes is that the right lane gets really beat up by the semis and is extremely rough. The middle lane is usually considerably smoother since it doesn't get the heavy loads as much. By going 75 it gets me out of the right lane and consequently I don't get passed by semis as often. With today's drivers, going 75 means you just don't get left as far behind. Most drivers stay in the left lane and seem to like 80+!

Oh yeah, that 594 mile trip home from Jackson Center would probably have taken about hour if I had slowed down to just 70 MPH. (5 MPH. X 10 hours = 50 miles; 50 miles/70 MPH = 42 minutes)

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 11:21 AM   #16
HHP
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Yucca Valley , California
As an example:
We have all seen a "slow poke" that we thought we left behind two hours ago, only to see us passing him again on the freeway after pulling over for a bite to eat....now you know why...

MM: I was thinking more of the safety aspect of speed and towing an AS. Swaying is not good.
However, that being said, I am a firm believer that you should go to hell your way, and I will go to hell my way.

Old 07-20-2006, 11:32 AM   #17
_

. , .
hi jackson center junkies........

minnie's mate has reported the mishaps and
sway/instability/tracking issues well in this thread...

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ighlight=hitch

there is also lots of good advice on the hitch set up...

if the truck needs alignment, symptoms should be present when not towing also....no mention of this....and going faster doesn't improve this either...

using tow/haul or not on my 05 superduty the 'sweet spot' for towing seems to be 1950-2050 rpms.....this translates to 69-72 on the speedo......with wider variation for larger inclines, or winds...

don't fret so hhp...
the speedo is so 'off' on the superduties that real speeds are usually 3 mph or more UNDER the gauge reading.....with greater errors as the tires wear!

...now back to the regular thread programing...

it's great that the folks at jc will hook up and take a test drive...

what better way to convey the handling issues?

perhaps the a/s dealer who sold the trailer and installed the hitch? should have done this already? perhaps they did...

maybe the pdi should include a test tow always...
i think ALL first time tow'rs would appreciate this,
and maybe the ol'e salts need it too.....

i'll be waiting for a followup report and the solution...
tracking well above 75 and below 64 is strange,
so i can't wait to read the rest of the story....

and how frustrating will it be IF they cannot reproduce the issue?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 11:57 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
I must say, I'm still having a little trouble with sway at highway speeds. In tow/haul setting, the transmission shifts into final gear about 64 and I start to get sway at 65 and it continues until just about 75.
MM, You got my stumped on that one.. You and I have talked about the tire thing previously which is where I thought the problem may be. Have you had all of your tires balanced? What is the load rating on your tires? If I remember right I think you said you have BF Goodrich. Can you describe the sway.. Is it dramatic or just ever so slight? Is it pushing and pulling as trucks pass? Or is it up and down with the rough road? As far as speed goes, I base my speed on road and traffic conditions. Interstates in AZ have a speed limit of 75 which means most drivers go 75-90mph.. When I'm NOT towing I set cruise at 80 or 81..you can blow by Highway patrol and they won't look twice at 5 or 6 over as long as you're moving with traffic and not driving erratically.... However when I tow, I rarely go 75. I just stay out of people’s way and motor along at 65-72 max. This way I get to see more and it gives me a little more cushion for stopping this 15,000 lb rolling beast. You really do see more when you slow down just a little. What you first notice is what any truck driver will tell you. Most people (particularly those on their damn cell phone) are bad drivers they swerve in and out and they pass on both the right and left lanes, which is legal in Arizona, but not in most state...So just stay out of their way and let them pass..
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 12:40 PM   #19
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Ok, me thinks me has experienced me first hijacking

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 12:41 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP
...The study was conducted over a year, and took into account stop overs, fueling, eating, and average traffic flow (and other factors I can't remember), most people tend to take longer breaks when driving over 70mph, over a 72 hour period, each trip.

The results were a loss averaging 10 min an hour for the driver who maintained 55mph...
Oh, my Gosh--empirical data! Or, as Paul Harvy would say, "and now for the rest of the story!" Thanks for the big picture.

Hey, how about those perfect vacuums we all know about--the stretch from El Paso to Ft Worth, Grand Junction to I-15, US 50 across Nevada--heck, there ain't no place to stop! Sooo, creeping back towards 22 minutes, here...

Artlink, you're not alone, of course. I have started what I thought were bullet-proof threads and they still have a life of their own. Love this forum!
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 12:45 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by artlink
Ok, me thinks me has experienced me first hijacking

Michael
I believe you may be right.. so help get this thread back on track by sneaking a camera in there and taking some photos for us
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 03:23 PM   #22
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hi jackson center junkies........

minnie's mate has reported the mishaps and
sway/instability/tracking issues well in this thread...

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ighlight=hitch

there is also lots of good advice on the hitch set up...

if the truck needs alignment, symptoms should be present when not towing also....no mention of this....and going faster doesn't improve this either...

using tow/haul or not on my 05 superduty the 'sweet spot' for towing seems to be 1950-2050 rpms.....this translates to 69-72 on the speedo......with wider variation for larger inclines, or winds...

2air'
I appreciate all the advise and 2air's looking up my earlier thread. I did have an oil change, tire rotation and balance the week end before we picked up the AS. The week end before the 4th of July I took the truck in for an alignment and was told it was spot on. This has led me to think the problem lies on the trailer side of the receiver.

Now back to the thread. I talked to my insurance agent yesterday and he received the estimate for the deer damage and my "ooops" mentioned in the thread in 2air's post. Those two little mishaps will cost me $1000 in deductables, plus about $600 in disiel for two trips to Jackson Center (one to drop off and one to pick up in a couple of weeks), plus a night's camping at a (really nice I might add) KOA in Corbin Kentucky, yadda, yadda, yadda. You get the picture. And the insurance company will have to pay $8,700 ($9,700-$1,000 for 2x$500 deductables). Moral of the story, watch your mirrors when going around corners and watch out for deer!!!!!!!

I got a real good feeling from Jared, the service tech that went over the items on my short warranty list of about 3-4 items and the deer damage. I also felt good about working with Chris Birch. They both understood that I wanted bucked rivets so the Airstream would be returned to "as new" condition and why I wanted it that way. Chris had explained over the phone that everything along those walls would be removed, furniture wise, and the interior panels would be removed and reinstalled after the exterior panels were replaced. We removed everything from that side of the trailer that wasn't necessary before the trip and the necessities were packed up and stowed in the back of my truck the morning we dropped it off. We don't travel light but it is amazing how many necessities we have for two nights camping. There weren't any surprises from Airstream. My wife did purchase a pair of pink flamingos while we were there though...from the July photo contest submissions, I see you have them too Brent.

I will say one slight dissapointment was the condition of the "museum Airstreams". I would have thought they would have been polished to mirror finish and I would have thought they would have been more representation from 75 years of business. I had also hoped they would have been open so we could have gone inside to see how things have improved even if it had to have been a guided tour. Maybe they could enlist a docent like they have for the factory tour or maybe they could make it part of the factory tour, perhaps a prelude to the tour. You know, "this is how it started, these are the changes over the years, now lets go see what Airstreams are like today and how they are made." Maybe you could suggest that while you are there?
WBCCI# 4821
Old 07-20-2006, 03:26 PM   #23
HHP
2 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Yucca Valley , California
Quote:
the stretch from El Paso to Ft Worth..
Since I was born in El Paso...I hear you!!! lol
Old 07-20-2006, 03:34 PM   #24
_

. , .
Quote:
I had also hoped they would have been open so we could have gone inside to see how things have improved even if it had to have been a guided tour. Maybe they could enlist a docent like they have for the factory tour or maybe they could make it part of the factory tour, perhaps a prelude to the tour....
good idea m'mate....
and this actually does happen.
depending on weather and how many folks are on the tour,
don will open 1 or 2 of the historical units,
so folks can go inside, touch, smell and see them...just b4 the tour.

i've been in the gold trailer and 2 others, including the darth vader decco clipper model...from 1936...
seen here.....
http://www.airforums.com/forum...46-post79.html
it smelled like my really really old gramps farm house...the one without indoor plumbing....

as for polishing them...
i agree it would be neat but truth is
they are worth more in an "original condition"......
i learned this watching the antique road show!!

if ya want a nicely polished vintage unit,
dickie's trailer and truck are kept indoors and can be looked at briefly too.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:42 PM   #25
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
if ya want a nicely polished vintage unit,
dickie's trailer and truck are kept indoors and can be looked at briefly too.

cheers
2air'
Forgive my ignorance, but who is dickie?
WBCCI# 4821
Old 07-20-2006, 03:49 PM   #26
_

. , .
Quote:
Forgive my ignorance, but who is dickie?
dickie riegel....
well he's the former a/s boss man....
now the thor boss man....
pictured here....
http://www.airforums.com/forum...90-post66.html

a very nice guy, and he's got a restored 50s trailer and a studebaker? or old gmc truck? to pull it with....pretty neat set up and it's kept inside the service area....when not in use.

cheers
2air'

and it's about time artlink, the tour is long over......
WE WANT DETAILS!!!

Old 07-20-2006, 04:10 PM   #27
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
dickie riegel....
well he's the former a/s boss man....
now the thor boss man....
pictured here....
http://www.airforums.com/forum...90-post66.html

a very nice guy, and he's got a restored 50s trailer and a studebaker? or old gmc truck? to pull it with....pretty neat set up and it's kept inside the service area....when not in use.

cheers
2air'

and it's about time artlink, the tour is long over......
WE WANT DETAILS!!!
Oh! that dickie.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 07-20-2006, 06:26 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
Forgive me, For I have sinned.....

And must confess. I live 35 mi. from Jackson Center and have NEVER been there! (Feel free to assign an appropriate punishment.) Need to take a day off and go check it out. In fact, the wife thinks I should apply for a job while there. (what the hey, I already drive 35 mi. to work anyway). Sounds like I'm missing a lot! --dave