Old 03-02-2011, 09:00 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
I've really Got It Bad

I've been looking for a 2-horse (bumper pull) trailer for several months. Mind you, I don't own a horse but lease one. Mind you, the horse owner will allow me to use her trailer whenever I want. But I continue to find myself scouring craigslist for a trailer.... Course, I always enter "airstream" immediately afterward to see what turns up. Why do I do this? Why?

Today I found a '65 Trade Wind that is just beckoning me to drive half-way across the state to nab. Why? Why? Like I don't have enough going on with the one I own. Like I don't have enough home projects to complete. Like I'm not going to get laid off from work in a few months. Like I have a place to store another trailer. Like, like, like.... I'm loosing my mind. I WANT THIS TRADE WIND. I'm sitting here with my stomach churning. I could sell the Overlander but heck, I have tons of $$ and time into it already - and I'd never recoop it. Shoot. Double shoot.

What's a girl to do? Somebody please knock some sainity into me! Quickly. I just told my boss that I'll be out tomorrow (so I can drive across the state).

Laura

Old 03-02-2011, 09:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Just do it.....

Old 03-02-2011, 09:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
Book a flight to Key West for the weekend. Leave the crackberry at home. Relax and enjoy the trip, maybe have an adult beverage or two. If the TW is till available Monday, plan a trip over the following weekend. If it hasn't sold by then, destiny...................
Old 03-02-2011, 09:24 AM   #4
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Im confused? Is the Trade Wind for the horse? Is this an Airstream/horse trailer conversion? or just the desire for another shiny trailer?

Sounds like its going to be one lucky horse... lol

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airslide View Post
Im confused? Is the Trade Wind for the horse? Is this an Airstream/horse trailer conversion? or just the desire for another shiny trailer?

Sounds like its going to be one lucky horse... lol

Vinnie

Just the desire for an older and somewhat smaller trailer - to sit, somewhere, beside a horse trailer.

Though, I have started a childrens book that uses a converted AS for the very, very lucky horse!

Laura
Old 03-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtoaster View Post
Book a flight to Key West for the weekend. Leave the crackberry at home. Relax and enjoy the trip, maybe have an adult beverage or two. If the TW is till available Monday, plan a trip over the following weekend. If it hasn't sold by then, destiny...................
Okay, so I'll tell my boss that I need a few days off! though I usually *ignore signs*, I might have to re-read this one for a bit. Still waiting on a response from the owner to see if it's sold yet...

Laura
Old 03-02-2011, 12:25 PM   #7
LFM
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Laurel , Montana
And I just happen to have a two horse bumper pull trailer in the barn that is for sale. Just run up here to Montana on one of your weekends, and will make you a good deal. Brand new tires with tandem axles, should make the trip from here to there just fine.

Greg
Old 03-02-2011, 12:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFM View Post
And I just happen to have a two horse bumper pull trailer in the barn that is for sale. Just run up here to Montana on one of your weekends, and will make you a good deal. Brand new tires with tandem axles, should make the trip from here to there just fine.

Greg

I just got off Craigslist Montana looking at engineering job postings. don't suppose you have one of those in your barn too? (a job that is). I want to move out there soooooooooooooooo bad!!!
Old 03-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
buy it for dad for father's day!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
I've been looking for a 2-horse (bumper pull) trailer for several months. Mind you, I don't own a horse but lease one. Mind you, the horse owner will allow me to use her trailer whenever I want. But I continue to find myself scouring craigslist for a trailer.... Course, I always enter "airstream" immediately afterward to see what turns up. Why do I do this? Why?

Today I found a '65 Trade Wind that is just beckoning me to drive half-way across the state to nab. Why? Why? Like I don't have enough going on with the one I own. Like I don't have enough home projects to complete. Like I'm not going to get laid off from work in a few months. Like I have a place to store another trailer. Like, like, like.... I'm loosing my mind. I WANT THIS TRADE WIND. I'm sitting here with my stomach churning. I could sell the Overlander but heck, I have tons of $$ and time into it already - and I'd never recoop it. Shoot. Double shoot.

What's a girl to do? Somebody please knock some sainity into me! Quickly. I just told my boss that I'll be out tomorrow (so I can drive across the state).

Laura
It will make you happy... for a while. How long? How long before the worry, guilt and fear creep in because you can't afford something else - like health insurance premiums or money to send resumes and travel to do interviews if you do get laid off. The thrill has waned a bit on your old unit, and you want a shiney new toy to play with.

In the real world, you date a man for six months... wonderful. You marry him and 10 weeks later you put your newspaper down and look across the breakfast table and think, "Oh ****, he's still there." BUT if you stick it out you get a REAL relationship, not a fleeting romance.

The romantic high lasts 9 to 12 weeks. Men, new cars, Airstreams, whatever... the high goes away. You can't buy a new Airstream every time the itch hits... unless you win a very big lottery. Even then, after 10 or 11 new ones you'll reach a state of satiation. What will you do then, move up to the million dollar Prevosts?

Go watch a couple of episodes of "Hoarders"

Get in a good 12 step program.

Donate $200 (or whatever feels "uncomfortably generous") to a down and out homeless shelter and watch the administrator's face light up as she says "I can feed a person for $.67 per day.... you don't know how much this means to us... This will feed 50 men for almost a week."

You might feel less tempted to make a really frivolous purchase that you
  1. don't need
  2. don't have time for
  3. can't really afford
  4. might let sit for 3 years growing green algae
Window shopping is fun IF you can admire... then walk away. Sometimes we all fall prey to temptation. Try making a list of what you're willing - or will be forced to give up if you do buy a second Airstream. That may cool the fires somewhat. I could afford a second one, but then I would struggle to put diesel in the truck... so no trips. Kinda counterproductive.

Good luck on the urges.

Paula
Old 03-02-2011, 06:30 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Ottawa , Ontario
Laura,

IF you don't NEED it, don't buy it.
Seriously, it will soon be a burden - I've made this mistake before...usally with wooden boats that I feel I need to "rescue".

There will be other opportunities in the future.

I'm with Foiled Again on this one.

It is still fun to window shop though.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:51 AM   #12
x

XXXX , XXXX
Laura you can always tow it imaginarily with the van you didn't buy.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:36 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Laura you can always tow it imaginarily with the van you didn't buy.
And with the horse trailer at the end of the chain. Legal in all states if it's just imaginary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
... The thrill has waned a bit on your old unit, and you want a shiney new toy to play with.

Go watch a couple of episodes of "Hoarders"

...Good luck on the urges.

Paula
Thanks Paula - that knocked my sense back into place! The thrill hasn't waned on my old unit. I am not a fan of all the laminate but that is it - I have fixed her up pretty good mechanically and cosmetically. I have NO idea what I am doing looking to buy another vehicle/trailer.

I watch Hoarders (and Intervention) religiously. I am far from either but have fears of becoming one or the other. Family members struggle with both these scenarios and I keep myself *in check* by watching these shows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julison View Post
Laura,

IF you don't NEED it, don't buy it.
Seriously, it will soon be a burden - I've made this mistake before...usally with wooden boats that I feel I need to "rescue".
Ohhhh, I look at the boats too. Thankfully, I grew up on a boat and know the HUGE maintenance factor there! I easily window shop boats.

I'll put this interest (along with that cool van) on the back-burner. The one that shoots flames up 100' and is not used!. Thanks all. Let's return to our scheduled program.

Laura