Old 07-27-2009, 12:58 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
2009 27' FB International
Omaha , Nebraska
Very sorry to hear you'll not be getting out this summer. Our time is coming sooner that we hope with similar circumstances.

Just back from a 15 day 3000+ mile trip From Omaha NE to Seeley Lake Montana. Normally don't like to travel that far in that short amount of time but this was for a family reunion. Took a few days and camped at Holter Lake between Great Falls and Helena and lolly-gagged home camping in the Poudre River Caynon along highway 14 in Colorado.

Cheryl parents still winter in Texas but need one of the kids to take them. We've done so the past 2 years but not taken the A/S. Thinking about volunteering and taking another extended trip.

Great idea for a thread...hope you enjoy the 2 pictures of Holter and Poudre.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010389.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	482.5 KB
ID:	84564   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010511.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	512.6 KB
ID:	84565  

Blevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:38 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
2008 19' Bambi
Austin , Texas
Just got back from a week long road trip, Austin to Fort Davis State Park, and drove around the Big Bend area, then up to Durango area and made camp at Lake Haviland,Campground. Drove up to Silverton and to Black Canyon of the Gunision . Then went over to Mesa Verde and made camp. Then back home to Austin. First long trip with the Bambi. I pulled it with my Jeep Commander, only problem was a nail in the TV's front tire coming into Santa Rosa NM.

YouTube - He'll Get There

c177tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:20 PM   #17
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member
1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Thumbs up The smell of de-feet

Originally Posted by samb View Post
I did manage to get out on a couple of trips this year and, as usual, headed for the out-of-the-way places. Fairly untouched areas, but that do not have the "velvet ropes" around them yet. I still like to see, feel, and touch things.

On the way to a family reunion in Minnesota I took the oportunity to explore the toadstool area in NW Nebraska.

Earlier in the year I did some exploring in the Owyhee Canyon country.

And earlier yet, I wandered down into Nevada and soaked in a hot stream for a couple of days. The creek crossings were too abrupt for the Safari so I took the Boles Aero.

I have found I am much happier taking my time on a short trip than rushing to get somewhere on a long trip. Freeways are for those who have only a destination. I avoid freeways whenever possible and have an adventure.
When you cannot go, get out the maps and plan.
Sam, great feet foto!
Where is this hot spring in NV?
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:32 PM   #18
Rivet Master
2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia View Post
...... Many of you have cared for your ill family members also and will understand how much a hint of camping fun will lighten the days around here. Perhaps your stories will reach some other stay-at-homes this summer too Thanks...G
~G, it has been a long time since I scanned through the forums. I came across your thread and I really do feel for you. I have been in the same situation so many times - wanting so badly to get out on the road I can taste it - but situations just seem to keep the wheels firm in the driveway. Whether it is money, other commitments, family obligations - or just simply nothing going on anywhere close and yep even mechanical issues either with the trailer or the tow vehicle that keep you grounded.

My desperate "run away from home" trip - that was so badly needed in so many different ways - took me back to SC Charleston - I know a touch of insanity set in (it is hot this time of year - but then we have had such a cold and wet summer it was actually quite a nice change) I also lucked out with their temps dropping a bit below normal tee hee - and only had mid to high 80's. My last day though jumped to 90 in the shade at 9:00 am TG I was heading north.

Really I just needed to get on the road - and 2 days driving 5 days of fun with a great friend and another 2 days of driving - was the crazy "freedom" I needed to help me get a bit of a spring back in my step.

These past 4 years Peter and I have not had much time to travel due to his change in job. But that itch is driving me nuts.

However we have a 3 week holiday coming up - but the finances have taken a huge beating over the likes of this waterfront lot - leaving us having to be innovative on what kind of vacation we can squeeze in this year - unlike our fabulous Eastern Holiday last year.

So our first week - we have negotiated our cousins driveway - whose house is located on Lake Ontario. We have a pebble beach for the dogs, endless water and river inlets to kayak, some fun entertainment at the local pub and marina for a very economical price $0.00/day which meets our budget perfectly. W/E hook ups and an RV dump station just around the corner when we need it. (not sure on the wifi will have to check that with them.) They have a lovely back yard that runs all the way to the shore line.

My Dad arrives the following Saturday back home from his trip to Wales so we will head home for the Sunday drop him off do a bit of laundry and then replenish supplies and then head out for the Bruce Peninsula. Not sure where we will stay - most likely somewhere free if we can - and just head into some of the Provincial Parks to see if we might luck out with a walk in spot here and there.

Once again head back for the weekend to our home recharge and then possibly head out to our first Rally in a very long time - Possibly thinking of joining the Rally in Eastern Ontario to join our friends Annie and Marvin before they head for the sunny South again for the winter.

In the interim of traveling - you can find me sitting in my ModPod daydreaming of the travels to come, napping in the afternoon sun that shines through the front window, or tinkering to fix this or that.

Take your imagination ~G into your trailer (if you keep it at your house) - or maybe if you don't and can bring it over and have lunches or special breakfasts - or just spend the night driveway camping - set up the awning - bring out the lawn chairs and your photo albums and reminisce. If your Mum is well enough to join you - it would be some very special times to share with her too.

Will be sure to come back to this thread and post some pics of our "economical holiday"

Keep your chin up ~G you will get out on the road again

Everything will be alright in the end. If it is not alright now, then it is not the end.
GT1963 is offline   Reply With Quote