Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2006, 04:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
It's officially summer...what are you doing?

The summer is officially here...have you started to enjoy it yet? Besides, 'streaming, what is your favorite thing to do in the summer?

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 06:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Besides, 'streaming, what is your favorite thing to do in the summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
The summer is officially here...have you started to enjoy it yet? Besides, 'streaming, what is your favorite thing to do in the summer?
Well, if I am home, it would be to hang out at the pool. If on a beach vacation, it would be playing in the surf.
Since my home area gets uncomfortably hot in the summer, I like to haul the Streamer to the cool mountains!
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 06:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Walking in the Morning When It's Cool...

Paddling in the pool in the afternoon when it's hot.
(When I'm not working on Airstream maintenance and restoration, of course)
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 07:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Gardening

Gardening is my passion during the warmer weather. I'm not sure what it is that drives this passion but I really enjoy getting my hands dirt dirty. I enjoy all aspects of gardening from planning new planting beds, building/preparing the beds, dividing perennials, and, believe it or not, I even enjoy weeding. I've discovered the key to a more maintenance-free garden is perennials (note there is no such thing as a maintenance-free garden). While perennials do need work such as dividing and cutting back, they are not as much work as preparing a bed for annuals. My latest project is figuring out which flowering perennials flower continually during the summer.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 07:48 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Arcata , California
We enjoy our yard also. Can't really travel anywhere during the summer because compared to where we live it is unbearably hot elsewhere. So we entertain out of area friends and relatives and do dry season outside chores. And wait for winter for the surf to pick up! Jamie (Mostly cloudy today. Morning drizzle off the fog. High of 60 degrees)
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 11:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I am spending this summer planting the "bones" of our new garden areas on the 3.5 acres we bought/ remodeled house. I've let some of the willows regrow around the pond-cutting out those that bear pollen making catkins and keeping some of the others, letting a natural margin grow up around the pond (it had been stripped to the water's edge when we bought last spring), and added some rushes, irises, Joe Pye, cardinal flower, water lilies, thalia, pickerel, and other pond/marginal plants. I'm growing less squemish about wading in and mucking around in the pond muck! And if I tumble in on a hot summer day, cool! Our place had about a dozen well established pines near the house, so we've kept those, and added some redbud and Kousa Dogwood-that may die before this dry hot summer is over. What I'll miss as long as we live here is a tall shade canopy of mature oak or maple and hickory trees. Sun and open sky is new to me. I dug a dozen lilac starts from my mother's large bush and planted the beginning of a border along one side of our place and added forsythia down by the road--wide open so it can sway and dance in the spring air. We made a 20 X 50 garden spot across the driveway near the utility room access that is bearing a bumper tomato crop right now. I still have a large part of it encumbered by the plants I moved from our former home and that are waiting for me to finally get places prepared to plant them. I have moved many, but I still have too many to till up the space and put in late summer veg's. We have established a 5-20 foot margin around the house that we've mulched in rainbow rock, some areas which we set with flagstones for walks and patio space, and whch I am filling with the perennials we moved. The soil here is slick awful clay for the most part, so it's slow going as I dig, haul clay refuse to fill in muskrat digs around the pond, fill holes with new improved soil, plant, recover the hole with mulch rock, and move on. . .ugh! Anyway, I have the summer for this kind of gardener's delight, looking forward to September and our one planned AS trip out to Idaho and the Salmon River! I've been having fun working hard, but I'm ready for a change ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 12:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
My wife and I just finished a 2 month stint as campground host at Arches National Park in Moab Utah. Had a great time and plan to do it again, same time, same place, next year. We're looking for another couple months volunteer job where its warm Oct - Nov. Have several possibilities but nothing definate yet. If the fires die down at Grand Canyon we're headed that way in a couple weeks for some R&R then plan to stay around home for the summer. While I say that, it never fails that after a week or two at home my "Migration Spirit" kicks in and we're out and gone. Hope everyone has a Blessed summer. -----pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 01:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Me three!

Quote:
My husband calls me his "Garden Weasel". I'm working on planting some vines on a fence so that we can walk (sans clothes) to our hot tub and spare the neighbors the pain of a possible alien sighting If I let him touch the garden it would be paved over and turned into batting cages. Uh-uh darlin, get away from that saw.

I have a 14 and 11 y.o. niece and nephew that are practically my kids...They and my 7. y.o. daughter have summer camp, we have a pool membership and wonderful neighborhood moms, we send out a "pool bulletin" and all show up there and watch our kids swim around and shiver like wet seals with blue lips. A season pass here in the Bay Area will get you into both Six Flags Marine World and Waterworld, we go almost every other day. Opposite days are spent hanging around the house doing nothing in pajamas until 2 pm so we get real "down time". Cartoons, video games, computer don't seem to be that much of a problem to manage, who would have thought beanie babies could have such fascinating stories? We have a polar bear with magical powers and who can shoot ice from his eyes!! His name is Jake The Ice Bear. My husband built a "kid wash", here's the picture, so we put that out and let them get wet and cook up some steaks on the grill, and life is basically very good.

That and the local beach, softball games down at the park, and a few BBQ's in the yard with some other parents in the neighborhood and we are blessed and lucky.

Yukionna, I love the sense of accomplishment and how well I sleep after a day of gardening. How about you?

OK. Off to prep the airstream for maybe the back floor going in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0006.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	23053  
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 04:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
looking for another volunteer job where its warm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
My wife and I just finished a 2 month stint as campground host at Arches National Park in Moab Utah. Had a great time and plan to do it again, same time, same place, next year. We're looking for another couple months volunteer job where its warm Oct - Nov. Have several possibilities but nothing definate yet. ----pieman
Hi Mike,
Have you considered Oliver Lee State Park? While not in the same class as Arches National Park, it is warmer and has nearby attactions of White Sands and the Space History Museum near Alamogordo.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 08:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
NM State Parks Down South...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
My wife and I just finished a 2 month stint as campground host at Arches National Park in Moab Utah. Had a great time and plan to do it again, same time, same place, next year. We're looking for another couple months volunteer job where its warm Oct - Nov. Have several possibilities but nothing definate yet.
Greetings Mike,
Don't overlook City of Rocks (15 or 10 miles north of Deming) and Rockhound (15 miles south of Deming) State Parks. They are both great little state parks and they depend on volunteers.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 08:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
hate to say it, POLISHING is about all I do after work. I am not setting any speed record with this - IT'S GOING TO BE A LONG SUMMER.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 09:10 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Looking forward to our vacation the end of this month. But now I'm working on the tan for the vacation with my son. We swim almost everyday it was 100 here today so we were in the pool all day.

Clancy, Don't you know we are in Mississippi and you need to polish in the fall and winter.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote