Old 12-08-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
2000 31' Excella
Currently Looking...
Maryville , Tennessee
It could have been worse..........

My wife and I had camped once in our 2000 excella since early fall and it rained for three days.

So we planned a week of vacation in our AS in late November in a small town near us with a small river.

While packing I noticed my old coon dog of 15 years was not doing so well. He was unable to get up and his eyes had become glazed over........

I knew it was time for him to go and hoped it would be fast.

He sat in his lot and even when it started a cold drizzle that night he could not get in his house.

I carried him and put him in with tears in my eyes and he looked at me strongly as if to say I am going away.

I worked in the AS a while and went to bed. The next morning to my surprise he was still sitting in the exact position I put him.........but much worse. I called the vet. and ask them to please come and I started digging a hole.

The vet arrived and did what had to be done, I thanked him and rolled my dog in a wheel barrow to his grave I was still the pouring rain. I cut his collar off and wrapped him in a horse blanket and buried him.

This is the third dog I have buried here next to my pond in 30 years and it will be the last.

My camping trip started the next morning and we arrived in short time and got set up and it started pouring. We were on a river lot with no one else in the camp ground so we sat and ate and drank coffee for the rest of the first the pouring rain.

The next day we awoke to winds so strong I though the trees were going to fall all over us but our AS held steady in these 45 to 50 mph winds..........and the rain kept coming.

After lunch my stomach started hurting and shortly the sounds came and then for the next 48 hours I sat on our commode........night and day and the rain kept coming.

After 4 days of this my throat started getting sore and felt like someone had used a razor blade on it. By thursday night I told my wife I had had enough of this winter camping crap and was ready to go home.

I hooked up and went home and winterized the AS.........and after hours of unloading I was finally able to rest some.

This whole trip started last tuesday, this is the next tueday and I still have a bad cough and sore throat.

I took my wife to work and came home and my dog did not bark at the possums and other dangerous wild animals to run them off for me like he has done for the last 15 or so years.

Very painful week for me.

I did tell my wife and everyone else that it could have been a lot worse.........I pray for good health and spring time now.

Robbie R.

Robbie R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:22 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
carson city , Nevada

Losing a dog is hard. Been there done that. They are loyal and faithful to their last heartbeat (it would be nice if people were, too) and true friends.

jmtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
After a year and half without my faithful little pup, I still feel the pain. My heart goes out to you.,
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
So sorry you had such a miserable week. The next camping season will be here shortly. My heart goes out to you for the loss of your sweet friend.
The Silver Queen
danalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:44 PM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
1973 Avion Travelcader 25' , ...
Hey Robbie,

Sometimes life is just dang hard to deal with. Hope things get better for you and the pains and heartaches pass quickly.

You've gone out of your way to help some friends here on the forum and if there is something we can do to assist you...Don't hesitate to call.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:41 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member
2000 31' Excella
Currently Looking...
Maryville , Tennessee
Thanks every one for the kind words.

I think spring will be better if we can get past all this Tennessee wind and rain.

Kevin, I was very glad to be able to help those fine people in some way after what they went through.

Robbie R.
Robbie R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master
1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina

My heart goes out to you for the loss of your good buddy. Keep the memories in your heart and they will sustain you.

As for your camping trip, sounds like our over Thanksgiving weekend. Cold, wind blowing and rain. And we were in the desert. Of course we were 4188 feet elevation! The next time I go camping in the desert on a mountain, I will take a bear rug and lots of fortifying drink!

Spring will be here before you know it.

When people lie to you, and refuse to honor their word, don't regret trying to follow a dream, new adventures and friends await you.
sd90mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master
2004 30' Classic
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5

Losing your furry family member is one of the hardest things life hands out! You feel like there is a huge hole in your heart that can never be filled.... Come spring, maybe you can find another good friend to fill that hole....

As for winter camping.... I love winter camping; but, not when you are sick!
2004 30' Airstream Classic
2011 GMC 3500HD Duramax
Hensley Arrow hitch

Jackson Rancheria, 10-12 Oct 2014
Pinnacles Nat'l Park, 20-22 Feb 2015
Casini Ranch, 10-12 Apr 2015

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
warbler5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:20 PM   #9
Power to the People !
1972 31' Sovereign
SAN DIMAS , California
Send a message via AIM to Maryw164 Send a message via Skype™ to Maryw164

Sorry to hear about your loss. We have 3 dogs, and a cat (15, 14, 6 & 8 yrs old). My biggest fear is that one will have some sort of issue while we are away, and they are being looked after by our aging parents. Animals, especially dogs give us such unconditional love. They provide many hours of laughter, comfort and companionship. They are in many ways easier to be around and more greatly missed sometimes, than some of the people in our lives. They are truly a blessing. I hope you feel better soon, I too have been knocked hard this year with a bad cold/flu bout. Maybe when your feeling better you might reconsider a new furry addition to your family. Sometimes destiny brings us what we need, which in your case may be a new furry friend.

Take care, Mary
Happy Trailering !
Forums member #29232
Check out my new Blogs (work in progress):
Maryw164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:21 PM   #10
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sorry to ear of the loss of your pet----and terrible week, otherwise. The good thing about bad times is that they do pass.
🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:25 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member
1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
Hi Robbie,

Hang in there. Fall brings on the end and spring will bring fresh flowers and a new beginning. We know what you are feeling. We had four dogs just a few years ago and are now down to two - and one is 18 and the other is 11. You give them a good life and all you can ask is for their friendship - which they give without conditions. Pretty special.

Every home needs a dog, and every dog needs a home.

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:28 AM   #12

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I'm very sorry for the loss of your dog, what a tough weekend.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:47 PM   #13
Rivet Master
1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Sorry for your loss. We know where you are. In Sept we had to put down our beloved LUCY who was 8. WE rescued her from the pound thru SCHNAUZER RESCUE and soon found she was BLIND and Diabetic. She loved to camp and ride as some we have camped with can confirm.She was a pain with the weighing of food and insulin twice a day,but we loved her all the same.
She is gone but not forgotten. GET a new friend, even thru the pain its worth it. Pets heal a broken heart.
Roger & MaryLou
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:34 PM   #14
Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
RobbieR, So sorry for your loss. I camp year round in the Airstream even with it winterized. I choose parks that have good bath facilities. Winter camping can be a challenge, especially when the winds blow cold.

Kevin with Baity the Lab/Pointer
//------AIR # 7303------\\
WBCCI 17109
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote