Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2010, 05:50 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Bob,
I wanna know if you pull the 'stream with that Galaxie... very kewl
Old 07-06-2010, 06:10 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
Bob,
I wanna know if you pull the 'stream with that Galaxie... very kewl

Hi, Joe. Absolutely not; The Galaxie has a very strong over built receiver welded on it. And I have towed a small camper trailer with it, but the car has the small 292 cu in. V-8 engine, a Ford Powerglide, [all aluminum 2 speed automatic trans] and the original brake drums machined out to .135" over. The brakes heat up and fade out very quickly. Not enough gears, and not enough power. So Airstreaming is out of the question for this car.

Note: before I get slammed, I jokingly call the Ford aluminum 2 speed a Ford Powerglide.

Also, I did tow this camper with my Galaxie from California, to Canada, to Montana and back in nine days and 4,000 miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2243 (Large).JPG
Views:	89
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	106389   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 179.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	289.6 KB
ID:	106390  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:53 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Mont-Laurier , Québec
Is your trailer for sale? I did it... (sort of...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post

Has anyone knocked on your door or rang your doorbell, to ask if you would sell your trailer, even though you don't have any "FOR SALE" signs posted?
For years, I had been dreaming of an Airstream trailer, when I saw an ad in the paper for an old one, one day. I went to see it, but before I arrived at the place, I saw one on the other side of the street. No! it wasn't not the place. The one for sale - not too far away - was in a very bad condition.
On my way back, I stopped where I had seen the first one, and politely ask if it was possible to visit the trailer, since I had never seen one from the inside before.
It happened that the trailer belonged to a man that had died a couple weeks before. I apologized and I was going to leave when the lady said that she wanted to put it for sale in the paper the following week.
The day after, it was mine. It was in 1995, I believe. The trailer was a LandYacht Safari tandem. A very nice trailer. I bought a 33-foot Argosy 1987 or 1988, a couple years later (in West Virginia). About 10 years ago, I bought a 6-metre Minuet 1977 (in Indiana).
I have had people looking at it who have also asked if it is for sale. Answer: NOT FOR SALE... not until I have found something better... I am still looking for...
In fact, my daughter want me to put it on my will for her to have it when I die. She is also born in 1977. I am only 60. I am trying to keep it in good shape until it happens...
I am probably the owner of the only one 6-metre Minuet in the province of Québec.
I am glad I stopped that day... in 1995... to look at an Airstream...

(Note: I am therefore also responsible for bringing a couple of Airstream from the USA to Canada.)
adore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:59 PM   #44
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
Tight space parking

[QUOTE=ROBERTSUNRUS;866979] Hi, very carefully!

Wow is right. I thought I had it tough trying to back our AS into our driveway, when the neighbors park across the street, but I have tons of room compared to your tight squeeze. I guess I'd better keep practicing and quit complaining.
cheers, bill b.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:21 PM   #45
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Hi, come on Mate, you know my car isn't nearly as wide as my trailer. This is from the back side and with my trailer and other cars out of the driveway the car will fit through the gate, but it's still a pretty tight fit.
I see now on second look. I thought there were two sections of fence separated by a narrow gate. I see that the gate is 2/3 and the fence is 1/3 the width visible in the photo.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:15 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Hi, Joe. Absolutely not; The Galaxie has a very strong over built receiver welded on it. And I have towed a small camper trailer with it, but the car has the small 292 cu in. V-8 engine, a Ford Powerglide, [all aluminum 2 speed automatic trans] and the original brake drums machined out to .135" over. The brakes heat up and fade out very quickly. Not enough gears, and not enough power. So Airstreaming is out of the question for this car.

Note: before I get slammed, I jokingly call the Ford aluminum 2 speed a Ford Powerglide.

Also, I did tow this camper with my Galaxie from California, to Canada, to Montana and back in nine days and 4,000 miles.
Thought you were gonna tell me the suspension was too stiff...

Beautiful ride... I didn't realize it was a Galaxie.. my bro has a black/red leather '63 convertible with the 390...

(Nothing against the 'stream, of course).. but I'd be asking if THAT were for sale
Old 08-07-2010, 10:40 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, this evening while I was in my driveway washing my Lincoln, I saw a silver 3/4 ton Chevy truck drive slowly past my house. Then he backed up, aligned with my driveway; I thought for sure he was going to ask for directions. Wrong. "Hey......would you be willing to sell the little trailer?" and with no hesitation, I answered....."No Way." I want to think that these are just good honest people, but in the back of my head, I wonder if they might be scoping things out for a future theft job. I hope not.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2004 Airstream  Oregon 041.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	347.9 KB
ID:	108307   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 259.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	108308  

Name:	2008 229.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	108309  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:51 AM   #48
1950 Flying Cloud 7039

1950 21' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
Field finds are not always what they appear.

I had driven past a trailer sitting in the yard of a rural home many times. The type of home where nothing is traded in for a new one, but pushed to the side pasture to rust away. I knew it was early 50's. I was interested for parts. The trailer was in the yard well away from the main house. There were other vehicles that had been abondoned. One day I stopped with my brother in law and told him I wanted to check out the trailer. As I walked up to the trailer, keep in mind, it was in a yard with weeds overgrowing everything, as I approached, a shadow moved inside. Makes your heart skip a beat or two. I walked around the trailer to see if it was all there. I was looking for lights mostly. Out from the trailer a woman appeared. I asked if she would wanted to sell the lights from the trailer. Her response. "You will have to ask my daddie up at the house, but I don't think he would as I still live here." This woman was 40+ years old. There is no way it had electric or plumbing. I chose not to ask daddie and we drove off as fast as we could. This was rural SE Missouri and some folks out there have illegal activities cooking.
FC7039 is offline   Reply With Quote