Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2019, 05:54 AM   #1
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Is this an Airstream Killer?

The Nucamp Avia. 28 feet and under $70K. Very similar modern interiors, although their bathroom can use more engineering design. Interesting alternative.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:14 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
I think Airstream is safe. Exterior is ugly -- just another square box. Can't tell about construction of interior and its fit and finish.

The beautiful and iconic shape of the Airstream is likely a major influencer in the buy decision.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I agree, the bathroom looks like a big turnoff. Not keen on a folding bed either, especially since we found that Sleep Number is the ticket for us. If the equipment is the usual Atwood/Dometic stuff one would have to hope that the RV craftsmanship is far above Airstream. Otherwise, you just get another SOB that is falling apart and has a chalked exterior in 5 years.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:19 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Yeah but does it leak? Nothing leaks like an Airstream and I just don't think this "Johnny Come Lately" can walk the walk.

Seriously, it has a couple of things really going for it. Thermopane windows. Squared off design so there is actually storage and not just doors covering lockers with no space. Very appealing finish.

Not my cup-o-tea but then again, neither is a brand new Airstream. I hope it does well as competition is good.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
To me it doesn't look that different from most of the SOB's out there.

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
[emoji1475]

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Nah. Not even close. It may have more storage, but storage isn't a problem with us. It doesn't look any different from any other SOB that I've looked at in the last couple of years. You can get into a flying cloud with a similar trim for about the same price.

I'd take the Airstream hands down.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:01 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob662 View Post
The beautiful and iconic shape of the Airstream is likely a major influencer in the buy decision.
This is why there will never be any such thing as an "Airstream Killer". You cannot put a value on Americana, nor can you define it well enough to even try!
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:09 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybauman View Post
This is why there will never be any such thing as an "Airstream Killer". You cannot put a value on Americana, nor can you define it well enough to even try!
Thor. Thor will be the Airstream killer.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:13 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Nope... Airstream may have issues, but I can work with them. Resale is one of Airstream's best considerations.

This 'new trailer' uses the same household hinges that come apart when moving.

The tires appear to be narrow and I like the Airstream being able to upgrade to 16" wheels and tires... that fit and operate just fine.

Dexter axles? Drum brakes? Having disc brakes with leaf springs?

People BUY the 'fluff'.

Myself... I need a travel trailer that is exactly that... travel on highways and graded all season roads. Width of trailer at 8 feet or less? Our current AirTentStream is great.

Airstream's competitor at the present time: Oliver. If they come out with a slightly wider and longer trailer... Airstream may have a serious contender.

Otherwise... Airstream is still our choice, no matter our whining and complaining... most can be upgraded once at your home. But... Oliver... follow these Forums and understand that not everyone is a RV Park highway trailer owner. There are those who want a true Boondocking trailer that tows well and does not fall apart while being towed from road vibrations.

This trailer uses the same hinges that need to be piano hinges that never failed us once replacing the 'house hinges'. Many good ideas but when it comes to writing the check... Airstream is #1... and Oliver maybe in the shadows ready to go head to head with Corporate manufacturing.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:29 AM   #11
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Firstly, I applaud a manufacturer who is working to produce a modern, relevant and current looking interior!

These guys have some work to do (not at airstream level) but is a good start. I’m sure there are many buyers who are tired and worn out of 1970’s looking interior in a trailer manufactured today.

Some things I noticed -

Cabinets - boy it looks like they used 3/8” pressboard or something - look a little flimsy.

Shower looks big which is a good thing but I wonder how easy it is to clean the corrugated walls...

Toilet area with wash basin is a complete miss. Yikes!

I like the articulating bed (even though we enjoy our sleep number). Good for reading at night.

Windows up front look cool and I like the skylight

What the heck is with those old fashion and outdated looking mantels, corner feature and what have you in the bedroom? Complete miss as they do no chime with the more modern interior. When I saw those I wondered if they actually had a professional designer working on the project or not.

The bedroom is definitely looks like it’s a cheaper box trailer... they could have some some things to modernize the look and feel.

I like the nice big dinette area.

Kitchen is fine, I like the furniture across the hall next to the door.

But what is with the placement of the Polk audio controls for the stereo? You need to get on your knees to turn on the radio. Weird choice. Worse is the location of the head unit in the bedroom.

I like the clean look of the front garage- everything tucked away inside.

Overall good attempt and I think it will appeal to many buyers at the $/sqft.

Airstream is still at a different level though, and at a different price point for that size. You get what you pay for. Similarly for other box trailers that cost less - far less appealing, but they cost less....
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:42 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincampers View Post

Why do you believe this? You know that Thor has owned Airstream since the 80s, right?

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:03 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
Why do you believe this? You know that Thor has owned Airstream since the 80s, right?
Well aware of the history. The lack of quality control is the main thing. Rolling out half finished products with little care for workmanship is the reason I believe this.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:03 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Well aware of the history. The lack of quality control is the main thing. Rolling out half finished products with little care for workmanship is the reason I believe this.

That’s a reasonable hunch just from the quality perspective. I have a different hunch based on the fact that twice in the last 5 years they’ve had to expand the factory. They produce in a quarter what they were producing annually (rough estimates) when I bought my 2012. Sales demand is through the roof. Perhaps with enough complaints things would change but consider at a rate of say 75/week, they’re cranking out 3750 units/year. 1 complaint is one too many - but what do we see here - maybe 20-30/year buyers think are lemons - some % of that die to misaligned expectations / user error and some % of that truly missed quality opportunities. Multiply it by 5 and say there’s 150 questionable trailers out of those 3750 - that’s 4% - still WAY too high and nowhere near 6 sigma - but manageable through warranty (with costs passed in to new buyers - so theoretically that has to end some time...).

What’s infuriating and frustrating is that some of this is so readily avoidable! A little more commitment from the top all the way through and you could probably remove 50% of the errors without breaking a sweat!

What the heck do I know - just another hunch based on skyrocketing sales data...people need to “stay away in droves” before this changes much [emoji3]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:06 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
This month marks 39 years since Thor assumed ownership of Airstream. They haven't killed it yet; conversely, they're selling everything they can make and even vastly expanding manufacturing capacity. Both sticker price and "pocket price" are increasing far faster than the rate of inflation. Thor has been very good for the brand.

If anything is going to kill Airstream--along with the entire travel trailer industry--it would be energy policy that sharply increases consumer fuel prices. I just don't see electric vehicles making for good tow vehicles in the foreseeable future.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:20 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybauman View Post
If anything is going to kill Airstream--along with the entire travel trailer industry--it would be energy policy that sharply increases consumer fuel prices. I just don't see electric vehicles making for good tow vehicles in the foreseeable future.
Consumer fuel prices are as low as it gets today. The US is now the largest producer of petroleum and we have not touched the limit. We are now free from the price swings that Saudia Arabia uses to put us through. Now if we can stop the politicians from jacking up the tax on fuel, we'll be alright for a very long time.

The state of Ohio just added a $200 tax to my Tesla this year. Something about me not paying my fare share in road use tax

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 01:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Why would anyone choose that over a 23 FB?

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:01 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
IMO if construction was as good as repair dept. with exc. work, there wouldn't as many quality items as so many state. IMO it's time for build line to step up for so many prob. not as to componets as most are pur. as other manf. do, step up QC instead of speed to build. Older AS [pre 80s] had some sloppy workmanship but nothing like today. Maybe have some one that nos about componets pur. & survive trailer usage rather than set behind desk & look at catalogs and determine look nice in AS. look for items like hinges etc. that easily break and screws that don't hold latches that don't hold, the list is long. I'm long time AS owner would I by now NO fancy is not for me but a good reliable product does wonders. Yes I'm happy w/5 AS & 1 argosy never had issues that req. serv. IMO that speaks well of previous yrs. not present AS as I stated step up QC in build not stress being fancy & stuff that has prob. Top management should get input from long time owners not select few on new adviser board but people that no AS inside out w/much exper. I may be oldest continues AS owner [started 1963 that is 56 yrs. un broken owner ship] & still active & do every thing my self including all maintance even changed axles at 80 yrs old now 85 don't need for help w/travel or other things.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:11 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I see the folding bed in a lot of fifth wheels to add walk around room without making the room larger. It's okay.
I don't like the tiny bathroom with the folding sink, reminds me of a train car toilet.
The living area looks a lot like the 26U. (that's good!)
Also, manhandling a full 30# propane tank into that storage area looks difficult.

I'm not ready to trade...yet.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:57 PM   #20

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Moderator mode: ACTIVATE

This is not the comment section for Fox News nor for MSNBC. Political comments are generally not germane to discussions of Airstreams and camping, are nearly always divisive and as such are frowned upon.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote