Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-14-2020, 06:09 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Took a look and I like it. It has a number of features Airstream could easily incorporate. It's not as cool looking, but it looks like a very nice RV.

The accordion head and folding sink is a deal breaker though. If I am spending upward of $70k, I really want a proper RV bathroom. Perhaps the need a 30' to make that possible. When they do I would seriously consider it.

A few things I think would be neat to have in the Airstream that this has:

-dual 6 volt batteries
-power/auto stabilization
-integrated door (anyone else have the funky Airstream door that never really seals well? I've had 3)
-Sliding/tilting bed
-Large two sided access
-Large front storage (where you mostly could put your hitching stuff rather than haul it from front to back and back to front)
-Nicer cabinetry (Airstream seems to have nice ones, but only in the Classic (@$155k)

Does Avia have torsion axles? Thermopane windows? A true 4 season camper?
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:12 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Quote:
Originally Posted by farafield View Post
Im wondering how the Nest is doing. Haven't seen much about it, especially on this forum. Does it compare with the Oliver?

Dunno much about the Nest, but I have seen several folks here complain about fit and finish, and if I recall the issues weren't isolated. I've heard in several circles that Oliver makes a really nice, high quality RV, but for me, it's too small and honestly, I think of a boat when I see the inside pics, but it is a nice trailer.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:36 AM   #83
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
28 feet including tanks / tongue is exactly the same length as an Airstream 27FB or a 28RB, so the length isn't an issue. We already "walk through" our bathroom to get to the bedroom, because we have a split bath amidships (head on one side, shower on the other) so this may not be an issue. Will definitely give AVIA a closer look, just for fun, even though we're not shopping. We saw the outside of one at a campground in New Hampshire last summer, and thought it looked pretty cool. Anything that gives Airstream a harder run for it's money is a good thing, especially if the competition is doing a better job on quality control / assurance. I hope it turns out to be a great option for folks turned off by Airstream's relatively careless approach to a clean build and truly finished product coming off the line (I say that based on our experience with our 2014 27FB, which required two years of intensive warranty work before it finally reached the condition it should have been in when it left the factory). Rocinante is in beautiful shape now, better than ever, thanks to our hard work and attention, but we won't ever forget how much work it took for us to get her there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekhard View Post
I am seriously debating a purchase of an AVIA over an AS. Avia has many factors that are better than AS starting from out to in, front to back:

-3 arm electronic awning that automatically collapses when wind shakes it
-LED lights
-2 outside storage compartments
-entry door with some storage
-entry door side screen that goes side to side, better than the regular opening door
-front table that is 360 adjustable in any configuration (like a boat)
-great cabinets (not flimsy)
-great manufacturing. when I looked under everything, it was completely clean and well constructed.
-amazing LED lighting throughout
-not your standard DOmetic, but european heating
-the best window configuration, lots of windows and much better shades than AS in terms of configuration (as opposed to those horrible horizontal shades)
-bed that raises to give more room in bedroom(slides back)
-Quality is actually really good.

CONS to Avia:
-No history to judge
- Small, only 21 feet (7 feet are tongue/tanks) for combined 28 feet
-pricey for small unit around 50k
-BATH. Is pretty smart, but who wants to walk through the bath to a bedroom. The only real downfall to this unit.

AS pros: interior is still a tad nicer and bigger.

AS cons: HAIL HAIL HAIL,
Lack of great windows
Shades need improvement.

I have really been studying the 2 so I hope this helps anyone. I think it helped me make a decision.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:37 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I liked it.
I'd lose the extra chrome trim, and want to see more about the build quality. I did like the stove set back to open more counter space. The fridge looked tiny.
My problem is I still look at every Airstream I see on the road, while I don't give a box trailer a second glance.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:51 AM   #85
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Oh, hey, just realized the same company that makes Avia trailers also makes Tab trailers. In my book, that raises their status as a potential alternative to Airstream, next time around.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:43 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
1. These guys make tab trailers which are excellent so they should be of a good quality.

2. I have only ever wanted an Airstream. Nothing else was ever on my list.

Happy camping!
Old 02-15-2020, 08:53 AM   #87

Currently Looking...
Windsor , CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamerican View Post

Does Avia have torsion axles? Thermopane windows? A true 4 season camper?

Hi Panamerican: It is not a true 4 season camper. I have asked this on the Nucamp forum and at the dealer. You can take it out and have nice heat and be warm, but you would not have access to water.

The dealer told me it's compeltely sealed underneath so not to worry about mice, but when I lifted the bed I did see some sunlight coming in through a hole somewhere. AVIA has lifted the unit 6" from the original models but not sure how they are doing that. Windows are double pane, I am not sure what thermopane is. HTH.
trekhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:04 AM   #88

Currently Looking...
Windsor , CO
The MSRP of AVIA is around 70k. Actual sell price is $51k.
trekhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 06:02 AM   #89
1 Rivet Member

avia

actually they are selling low 40s, Alde radiant heat is wonderful....main reason i am considering this unit. I have owned 2 AS, a 25 ccd which i loved but the door was always a problem and leaked around the ac unit. An interstate which was also great. I have also owned a diesel pusher and a semi based class c. I just sold My Winnie Revel because the beds too small for newlyweds and was considering a 27fb International. The Avia is less expensive, has superior heat and high tech composites and systems in construction at a price of less than a 10 year old 27FB...if it can winter camp its a contender. Their truck campers are 4 season with radiant in the basement so i cant imagine the Avia was not set up the same, stay tuned looking at one tomorrow. If AS offered the Adle in international I would no doubt go that route

7BBl Dme Brewery Brewing some of the best Lagers in The USA

Juan Pablo Montoya Go for Sprint Cup!!!
Weissbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 06:50 AM   #90
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
It's been over a year and Airstream hasn't died yet.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:24 PM   #91
1 Rivet Member

Nice Trailer, Definitely NOT an Airstream. Definitely Not 4 Season
I do Envy the Alde heat, wish it was available on Globetrotter, just not a classic guy and I winter camp

7BBl Dme Brewery Brewing some of the best Lagers in The USA

Juan Pablo Montoya Go for Sprint Cup!!!
Weissbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 06:48 PM   #92

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Alexandria , Virginia
Can you tow your 27FB with your 2016 Interstate Lounge 3500 EXT?
If so, how well does it work?

Thanks,
Walk in His Peace,
Scribe With A Stylus
ScribeStylus is offline   Reply With Quote