Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2018, 10:26 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Raleigh , North Carolina
Is this a legitimate buyer?

Couldn’t figure out which topic to choose. Hope someone can give me some advice. I posted our trailer for sale a few hours ago. I am getting text messages from someone named Rowland with a New York area code who asked questions that were answered in my ad. Now he wants my PayPal account and will send me $$ before the freight company picks it up. I am skeptical. Should I be?
Thanks
Betsy5066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Yes. It’s a scam. A kind of common scam unfortunately.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Yes. It’s a scam. A kind of common scam unfortunately.

Part of it will be that he will send “extra money” for you to pay the freight company.....

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:34 AM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy5066 View Post
Couldn’t figure out which topic to choose. Hope someone can give me some advice. I posted our trailer for sale a few hours ago. I am getting text messages from someone named Rowland with a New York area code who asked questions that were answered in my ad. Now he wants my PayPal account and will send me $$ before the freight company picks it up. I am skeptical. Should I be?
Thanks
Yes, be skeptical. I recommend you ignore this scammer. No one should be willing to pay more than a deposit sight-unseen, very few buyers are going to have a "freight company" come by and pick up the trailer, etc. This is likely to be a paypal scam.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Definitely a scam. He is going to over pay you, and then ask that you send him back a smaller amount of money to reimburse the overpay. Then he will disappear and you'll be out your cash.
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
p.s. If you're the type who likes to take it up a notch, you could take his payment but then NOT refund his ”overpay." ;-) He may then try to submit a claim to PayPal for payment on goods not received, but since he's running a scam (and likely multiples), you could possibly come out on the winning side. It is a risk though.
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:11 AM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidjedi View Post
p.s. If you're the type who likes to take it up a notch, you could take his payment but then NOT refund his ”overpay." ;-) He may then try to submit a claim to PayPal for payment on goods not received, but since he's running a scam (and likely multiples), you could possibly come out on the winning side. It is a risk though.
This is a TERRIBLE suggestion, there's no real upside for participating. The "buyer" likely is using a stolen or otherwise fraudulent paypal account to begin with, and once either the scammer or the rightful owner of the paypal account report it to paypal, THEY will come after "your" money.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:13 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
I agree, in all likelihood this is a scam. Your commonsense is telling you to be skeptical, I'd listen to it!

Ignore this one; I would not escalate the interaction. Be patient, you will get legitimate inquiries.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:01 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Key Largo , Florida
Quote:
Thanks
Yesterday I advertised my trailer for sale in the classified part of the forum and I have already been approached by someone claiming to act on behalf of a buyer who buys and ships Airstreams overseas. He claims to be willing to pay cash and send a freight company to pickup the trailer without ever coming to inspect. He seemed unable to understand my skepticism and unwillingness to engage in his envisaged transaction. This approach came from a Houston area cell phone.
Martin R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
It’s likely a scam. Run, Forest, run...
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:15 PM   #11
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Anybody that is willing to give you exactly what you want for your trailer, sight unseen, without even trying to bargain your price down; and has a freight company coming to pick up your trailer, is a scammer.

Never accept monies from someone you will never see in person.

The scammer doesn't want your trailer, all they want is the frieght charge that they will try and get you to send to the "freight company". People are usually too embarrassed to tell others they got scammed for $1,500 or so dollars.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:22 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Scam..check it out ..pay pal or e Bay doesn’t do this..phony.
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:30 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Ignore this scam, and also ignore Post #6.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:33 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Raleigh , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
Scam..check it out ..pay pal or e Bay doesn’t do this..phony.

I got another text, similar to the first, from a number in South Dakota. Did not appreciate the timing: 1:30 a.m. I ignored it. Would like to sell to someone who knows and appreciates the uniqueness of Airstreams. Thanks to everyone for the responses.
Betsy5066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:59 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Yep roland contacted me on our classified almost within minutes of it being posted asking first if it was still availabe and if so what was my best price plus some other nonsence. New instantly it was a scam and to confirm he can be found in a google search.
messed with him untill he got tired of it.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:15 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
I got another text, similar to the first, from a number in South Dakota. Did not appreciate the timing: 1:30 a.m. I ignored it. Would like to sell to someone who knows and appreciates the uniqueness of Airstreams. Thanks to everyone for the responses.
I also just received a text message from the South Dakota area. Same scheme. Wants to do this via PayPal "because its the most secure way to make or received payment online". LOL. Hmmmm. How about a cashiers check at time of pickup....after a DEPOSIT (via cashiers check) to hold it prior to inspection/sale?
D2LLIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:18 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I have more 'stuff' than a junkyard... with taste. I am selling through a number of options open to me on the Internet.

I ignore emails, when I provide a telephone number. Once I have a name and telephone number... I go to work on the Internet to discover whom I am dealing with. I can then take their address to Zillow and see their home and value in less than 60 seconds. You can contact a neighbor, if you really get detailed.

Never be too anxious to sell and trust an unknown buyer.

I include two emails on a $2450.00 transaction that was so obvious, my dogs could do better. I even scanned and contacted the College the check was from and they even said it was... fake.

There are decent folk out there. They will CALL you and you get the information needed. Deal through their or your bank... directly.

They know who you are...

I had a possible apartment renter. I required references. One was a church pastor. I called... He said 'I would not rent to him'. That took care of that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan 1 12.51.48 PM.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	323451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan 2 12.51.46 PM.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	323452  

Old 09-23-2018, 02:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
When I have sold my AS's in the past, I have negotiated with the buyer over the phone, asked for a fedex check deposit be sent to my home address which I would cash and send receipt via email. I then arrange for a visit with the buyer to see my trailer, ask them to bring a certified check along for balance. We then drive over to my local bank, deposit, verify monies in his account/check is good. I then sign over the titles. Worked for me in the past 3 AS's....
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:32 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
In your case, it may have worked, but certified bank checks are no longer secure. Also, I can wire money into your account and then have it withdrawn as an error. $25 fee for this at my bank.

If it sounds too good to be true, it is a scam. I had the same thing happen to me just after I posted. Girl from Martha's Vineyard with a Los Angeles cell number. Wouldn't leave me alone. Pay full price and a shipping company involved.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:01 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
My payment was a 'Certified Bank Check' from a College account in San Francisco, CA 90210. The Fed Ex overnight was from Alexandria, VA 22314. The 'Orphanage' the books were to be was in Bradenton, FL 34207.

I Googled name, telephone numbers and checked sourcing of funds. There were pages of SCAM reports connected to the names, locations and phone numbers.

Money transfer from their Bank to my Bank... works.
Money transfer from their Bank to my investment bank... works.

My contacts... were all women. Surely, that made it all fair and reasonable...?

And the Orphanage... technical geochemistry, mining and structural geology... is great bedtime reading. It is for... me.