Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2006, 09:21 AM   #41
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
spoken like a true "Airstream Millionaire".

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung
What price do you put on pleasure and enjoyment? Perhaps a better question might be: Why put a price on pleasure and enjoyment?
because my resources are limited? heck, there's lots of things I don't do, due to lack of funds. why should this be any different?
Quote:
I suppose we have a few economists in the Forum who might give learned responses, but for most of us it doesn't matter one bit. We own our Airstreams for the opportunities and pleasures they provide so depriving ourselves of all that seems foolish and silly IMHO.
for me, it actually matters QUITE a bit, and the opposite seems foolish and silly.
Quote:
Gas prices high? Relative to what? Over what period of time?
The last few years are all that is important. "relative" to my income, which has NOT changed drastically, its a significant pinch. Our whole lives are built and revolve around the price of fuel, and depend on its stability. thats not to say it can't ever go up, but a sudden spike puts a huge dent in most budgets, when you can't control the circumstances. My parents and grandparents lived and worked within a mile or 2 of their homes. Cars were luxury items. Life isn't like that now. We live where we live, and work where we work (far away) because of the great roads, and cheap gas. Everything has become centralized in a way that requires us to burn large quantities of gasoline to do almost anything, be it work, school, or even shopping for every-day goods and services. There is no practical public transportation for the same reason: not cost-effective, when there are so many good roads, and gas is so cheap. None of this can change quickly in response to the sudden change in oil prices.
Quote:
In actuality, all commodity prices have fallen in real terms over the centuries.
irrelevant to me, and anyone else who's resources are not so far beyond their expendatures that they can easily absorb the sudden doubling of any one of their regular expenses.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 09:23 AM   #42
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Thumbs up Still going, with belts a little tighter...

We're still going gotta see the family in NC. With some modifications, fewer tourist traps, less eating out, more dishpan hands...

It will be just as fun for our son, I don't honestly recall the fancy stuff from my childhood being as fun as the swimming and fishing in new places we camped...
Congrats Rodney, sorry about the disappointment, I'm sure you'll find the perfect job for you! Best wishes.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:51 AM   #43
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
I started riding my bike to work and for many errands in the fall of '02. Depending on which office I'm in, it's either 3, 5, or 13 miles each way. Last year it was the long one, and still managed 3 days in 5 over the year. This year... I've driven to work four times so far. It took a while to figure out how to cope with 35f & rain, but it isn't a big deal for short trips. As it warms up a little, we're using the tandem & trailer more for the kids.
BTW, I've hauled gas, 48" flourescent light bulbs, 100+ lb of mulch, toolboxes, and other sundries with a Burley trailer.

So the (6 liter) Chevy's primary purpose is recreation/pleasure, and it is our set of weekend wheels. We're getting around 15 with it (sans trailer), and I feel a little smug, 'cause we're almost always 4 aboard which makes it 60 passenger miles/gallon. :-)

So... in response to the original question, we're planning on taking our new to us trailer farther than we've gone in years. Don't know just where yet, though.
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:12 AM   #44
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
big part of the problem

Click here for the posterboy for corporate gluttony.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:20 AM   #45
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
Take the trip. Modify it if you have to but go. PS. I still have the rare nightmare that I forgot to finish the dissertation.

Im pretty sure the modification would be I could go, coming back is where the plan falls apart. As been mentioned below, for some of us, the 50 cent jump doesnt mean our trips are simply going to cost more, it means that they are not doable. That is just how it is.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:20 AM   #46
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82
So can we call you Dr. Disarray now?

Frederic

In another month

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 12:04 PM   #47
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
As been mentioned below, for some of us, the 50 cent jump doesnt mean our trips are simply going to cost more, it means that they are not doable. That is just how it is.
Though I will be taking more trips than last year, that's not saying entirely all that much....last year we only went to the Midwest Rally for reasons beyond just fuel costs, but fuel costs did weigh a lot on the decision.

So the answer is yes, current fuel prices will in fact play a major role in selecting destinations this year. The largest trip planned of about 800 miles round trip will cost us nearly $350 in fuel alone compared to about $180 way back when fuel was about 1.54/gal. This year at the Midwest Rally, we are combining two trips instead of two seperate ones to reduce the overall cost and mileage.

As odd as it may sound, I've stopped buying gas directly from the companies that have increased their value like Exxon/Mobil, etc and have gone to the smaller companies like Clark, Marathon, Speedway, etc. I even stopped using Mobil 1 and switched to Amsoil. Most likely not making a lick of difference, and maybe these compaines buy from BP or E/M, but given what I see I can't blindly had over my $100 per fillup with the Suburban to BP or EM directly...heck I've even been riding my bike to work when I can... (about 14 miles round trip).
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 01:06 PM   #48
Rivet Master

No, We will travel as planned. Palm Springs, CA, Salem and Brookings Oregon, British Columiba, Alberta, Michigan, Texas and Pennsylvania. Six trips this year.
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:04 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

Pulling the AS with my bike?

Ok, I thought about pulling the AS with my bike like on the picture, but I don't think I would get very far.

Actually, my family and I are taking a cross country trip as we make a big move. So, we will be taking about a month or so and having fun the whole time. The prices are high, but that's not going to stop us one bit. Too much fun to be had.

I figure my kids are only young once, so I better take advantage of every minute now and not let the price of gas get in the way.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:21 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I am going to take the 10,000 mile trip to the west coast and have budgeted on $4.00 per gallon, don't you just love this admin. It will affect how often I go and where, but this is one that I really want to do and even though it upsets me to be robbed in my own country, I will pay the price.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:52 PM   #51
Rivet Master

TarHeel,

Great! Good for You! I wasn't going to be political. Yes, you said it best. I too, believe we are being robbed in our own country. And they're not raising the minimum wage?? Twenty more months of this adminstration, can our nation and the world hang on until then!??
Old 04-18-2006, 07:38 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

Oh Lord don't even get me started on the adminstration. Lied to cheated and treated like dirt.

and now they want to sell off our public lands to pay for it all.

I am going anyway.

Gryphon
WBCCI #6978

There are two ways to die in the desert.
One is by thirst and the other is drowning.
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 12:26 PM   #53
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Just remember that it doesn't matter whether they are Democrats or Republicans.....they'll all steal your money with a smile. Anybody remember the oil embargoes of the 70's and sitting in line for hours to get 5 gallons of gas? I do, and I was only 4! I remember all the complaining my father did to this day. By the way, Diesel was $3.05/gal today.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 02:43 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Yeah, I remember the gas lines in 1979. I believe Jimmy Carter was Prez. I was living in California then.
I think we'll do what we usually do this summer. Go to the beach (VA Beach), then to the mountains of Virginia (George Washington NF), maybe check out the new campground at Lake Anna State Park (just 18 miles away), and the Galax Fiddler's Convention in August. More camping than travelling and staying in state.
The money we save on hotels and restaurants by Airstreaming more than offsets the rising gas prices, even though it will sting a little more than last year.
What else can you do? Stay at home? Ya gotta have some fun and relaxation in your life!
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 03:00 PM   #55
Rivet Master

Politicians are all alike. They get some power, people look up to them and they get badge heavy. Where have I seen that before? We'll use as much fuel as it takes to get where we are going. Gas went up 10cents over night. That's 13 cents so far this week!! Diesel is $2.99 at name brand stations westside of Denver. Reg.unleaded is $2.83 at the cheapie down the street.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:17 PM   #56
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
And I remember gas being $.76/gal, when I was stationed at Fort Carson, in the Springs, in March of 1999. You heard right....$.76/gal at the U-Pump-It station. This whole gas price increase is pure and utter BS, and we're paying for it.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 08:21 PM   #57
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Hell, no, we won't g ... oops, how did that pop into mind? And it's not even what I had in mind, anyway. Yes, we'll travel as much as we can, price be damned. (I'll ride my bicycle more here in Angel Fire, though.)

Lynn