Old 04-17-2006, 10:04 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
What price do you put on pleasure and enjoyment? Perhaps a better question might be: Why put a price on pleasure and enjoyment?

I suppose we have a few economists in the Forum who might give learned responses, but for most of us it doesn't matter one bit. We own our Airstreams for the opportunities and pleasures they provide so depriving ourselves of all that seems foolish and silly IMHO.

Gas prices high? Relative to what? Over what period of time? In actuality, all commodity prices have fallen in real terms over the centuries. Sure there are occasional blips, but that's just noise around the central tendency, which is downward ever downward. Best reference I know on the subject is the late Julian Simon's "The Ultimate Resource."

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion" (coming soon)
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:21 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung
What price do you put on pleasure and enjoyment? Perhaps a better question might be: Why put a price on pleasure and enjoyment?

Best reference I know on the subject is the late Julian Simon's "The Ultimate Resource."
Well, he did die while fuel prices were still pretty reasonable. Wonder if his impressions would still be the same, given that fuel prices are more than double what they were in 1997, and continuing to spiral out of control.

By the way, nice Porsche.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:35 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolis1
Well, he did die while fuel prices were still pretty reasonable. Wonder if his impressions would still be the same, given that fuel prices are more than double what they were in 1997, and continuing to spiral out of control.
"spiral out of control" Good phrase; not such good economics. The substance of Simon's arguments would demonstrate the corrective powers of the marketplace and its interaction with human creativity and technology. Have a look at the charts in his books. A dead Julian Simon (economics, The University of Chicago) beats a live Paul Ehrlich (biology, University of Kansas) any day of the week.

Doubling of the nominal price in 9 years is an 8% per year increase. Seems like a lot. How about the cost of others stuff like college tuition and health care? This too will pass.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion" (coming soon)
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:43 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
"spiral out of control" Good phrase; poor economics. The substance of Simon's arguments would demonstrate the corrective powers of the marketplace and its interaction with human creativity and technology. Have a look at the charts in his books. A dead Julian Simon (economics, The University of Chicago) beats a live Paul Ehrlich (biology, University of Kansas) any day of the week.

Indeed. Well let's all hope that the "corrective powers of the marketplace" assert themselves before a large cross section of would be travelers, many on already stretched incomes due to rising medical costs, and out of whack utility bills have to limit their vacations to local parks and The Travel Channel.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:54 AM   #33
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
I had planned on a month long trip to the southern rockies to celebrate (read recover) from finishing this PhD up. Gas has climbed 50 cents a gallon in the mean time. The trip just isnt going to happen.
Daggone, Rodney. You do such a good job of reporting on your trips, I was looking forward to a "virtual" experience.

I hope things improve. Meanwhile, huge congrats on finishing your PhD.

Pat
Old 04-17-2006, 10:54 AM   #34
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphon
...I just wonder if the price of gas is going to stop any of you from making the planned trips this summer...Gryphon

HECK NO!!!! Woo Hoo! 400!!!

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 11:21 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
The Big Clock ticks away ...

Decades ago someone set the alarm on the Big Clock to awaken the Big Guy Upstairs who will call me home when that alarm goes off. But no one told me when it's set to ring. I'm left to guess, and worrying won't cause it to be reset. In the meantime, down here those minutes, hours, days and months are constantly ticking away and I can sense that alarm getting closer by the year. I don't want to be caught snoozing in my armchair when it finally goes off; better to be caught in some beautiful location admiring the local handiwork when the call comes in.

For me, the price of fuel, though perhaps uncomfortable, is not as uncomfortable as the unsettling feeling the alarm might ring soon, without regard to the level of fuel prices. So I'm gonna burn some dead dinosaurs this summer while I can still extend my right foot. Each foregone double dip homemade ice cream cone is another 15 miles down the road, and giving up ice cream for diesel is a healthy trade off if I can resist the chilled chocolate temptations in my too convenient local cafe. See ya down the road this summer.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 09:00 AM   #36
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
From one Fred to another.......I couldn't have said it better myself. That was simply awesome.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 04-18-2006, 09:02 AM   #37
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
I had planned on a month long trip to the southern rockies to celebrate (read recover) from finishing this PhD up. Gas has climbed 50 cents a gallon in the mean time. The trip just isnt going to happen.
So can we call you Dr. Disarray now?

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
Old 04-18-2006, 09:12 AM   #38
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolis1
Well, it's either pay the higher energy costs to run the air conditioner at home, or pay to fill up the truck to go down the road. That said, the combined miles towing this year will probably be well below 5000, and the truck stays in the garage for the most part, otherwise. Our TDI is our daily driver, and though it gets outstanding fuel economy, it still stings a bit at fillup - yesterday to the tune of about $40 for 15 gallons. And that's with diesel prices hovering here between regular and super unleaded ($2.69).
Dave said it all for me - with the exception of a thrifty Subaru for daily trips, and living in Maine rather than Texas!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 09:20 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1990 25' Airstream 250
Altoona , Georgia
Less Drivin' - More Camping

I Have Really Modified My Lifestyle And Spend Less On Gas Today Than I Did Five Years Ago.
1. Bought And Really Enjoy A Scion Xb - 34 Mpg.
2. Retired And Live In Retirnment Community In Oclala National Forest. Drive A Golfcart Most Of The Time.
3. Sold Argosy Tag And Bought '90 250 Mh - Will Not Tow.

There Are So Many Ways To Cut Back And Not Reduce The Quality Of Life. Basically Just Drive Less And Plan More
Old 04-18-2006, 10:17 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Take the trip. Modify it if you have to but go. PS. I still have the rare nightmare that I forgot to finish the dissertation.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:21 AM   #41
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
spoken like a true "Airstream Millionaire".

Quote:
because my resources are limited? heck, there's lots of things I don't do, due to lack of funds. why should this be any different?
Quote:
I suppose we have a few economists in the Forum who might give learned responses, but for most of us it doesn't matter one bit. We own our Airstreams for the opportunities and pleasures they provide so depriving ourselves of all that seems foolish and silly IMHO.
for me, it actually matters QUITE a bit, and the opposite seems foolish and silly.
Quote:
Gas prices high? Relative to what? Over what period of time?
The last few years are all that is important. "relative" to my income, which has NOT changed drastically, its a significant pinch. Our whole lives are built and revolve around the price of fuel, and depend on its stability. thats not to say it can't ever go up, but a sudden spike puts a huge dent in most budgets, when you can't control the circumstances. My parents and grandparents lived and worked within a mile or 2 of their homes. Cars were luxury items. Life isn't like that now. We live where we live, and work where we work (far away) because of the great roads, and cheap gas. Everything has become centralized in a way that requires us to burn large quantities of gasoline to do almost anything, be it work, school, or even shopping for every-day goods and services. There is no practical public transportation for the same reason: not cost-effective, when there are so many good roads, and gas is so cheap. None of this can change quickly in response to the sudden change in oil prices.
Quote:
In actuality, all commodity prices have fallen in real terms over the centuries.
irrelevant to me, and anyone else who's resources are not so far beyond their expendatures that they can easily absorb the sudden doubling of any one of their regular expenses.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:23 AM   #42
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Thumbs up Still going, with belts a little tighter...

We're still going gotta see the family in NC. With some modifications, fewer tourist traps, less eating out, more dishpan hands...

It will be just as fun for our son, I don't honestly recall the fancy stuff from my childhood being as fun as the swimming and fishing in new places we camped...
Congrats Rodney, sorry about the disappointment, I'm sure you'll find the perfect job for you! Best wishes.