Old 04-16-2006, 12:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Well, it's either pay the higher energy costs to run the air conditioner at home, or pay to fill up the truck to go down the road. That said, the combined miles towing this year will probably be well below 5000, and the truck stays in the garage for the most part, otherwise. Our TDI is our daily driver, and though it gets outstanding fuel economy, it still stings a bit at fillup - yesterday to the tune of about $40 for 15 gallons. And that's with diesel prices hovering here between regular and super unleaded ($2.69).

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 12:33 PM   #16
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Petunia and I fulltime ... so we don't too many choices.

Our proposed "towing mileage" will be 5,200 this year ... so if diesel hovers around $3 per gallon ... fuel will cost us $1,300 for 7 months of towing. Then we have to factor in "driving around" mileage once we reach our destination.

We toyed with the idea of just parking ourselves at the Washington Land Yacht Harbor for several months ... but we have been there twice in two years ... and we're itching to see the Black Hills.

When we originally set up our budget a little over 2 years ago ... we had diesel priced at $1.50 per gallon. So now that we're spending twice that ... something else in our budget gets cut.

The Bourbon, Beer & Cigar category is sacred ... so it looks like a diet of beans and rice.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 01:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Porky, Do you have any idea when you plan to be in the Black Hills? Several Corvette Clubs will be merging there this summer and we plan on being a part of that. We won't be towing, of course, but would love to meet you two.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:10 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Well I for one am not going to travel less....just smarter. I will be looking the golf pros in the eyes and telling them I can't leave until they buy a little more to get me down the road.
I will be watching the vacum guage on the dash a little more. Time to check the tires before pulling out tomorrow too.
I can't wait to see what the profit picture is for Exxon/Mobil this quarter? I find it amazing that the price of gas used to raise and lower based upon the delivered price. Now it goes up based upon the crude price today?? I've always hated 'futures markets' now I drive one!
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 02:29 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

so it seems most of us will still go on our planned trip. We will just go smarter. The jeep gets better fuel mileage than the dodge diesel truck so having it will be the smarter thing to do. The Airstream will only be a campground as we prepare our summer home. Gotta clip some branches on the lane so the 'stream can make it through unscratched.
So less trip to town, less eating out and staying put a little more.
Thanks for all the replies.
Personnally I can't wait to hit the roads.

Gryphon
WBCCI #6978

There are two ways to die in the desert.
One is by thirst and the other is drowning.
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 02:35 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Goose Creek , South Carolina
We will go on our 12 day summer trip and just stay closer to home for the extended weekend runs.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:31 PM   #21
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I just sent off my annual love note to uncle sam, all the while thinking about the great trip I could take if I had that check back to spend.

Oh, well. By and large, I'm happy with the deal.

We're still heading to AK this summer, but I think I'll feel better if I work a few extra weeks in the meantime.

Pat
Old 04-16-2006, 04:18 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
for us this year..gasoline..of course is up, natural gas for home heat is up, property taxes are up, income taxes are up, car and home insurance are up. Kids expenses for car, school, sports, phones, etc are up..blood pressure is up, my stress level (from having a senior in High School) is up.
Oh yeah my income....is not up.
But as for Airstreamin' and campin' heck yeah I'm gonna do it...it's what keeps us from being crazy over all that other crapola.
Oh yeah my faith is up to, but that's a good thing
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 05:26 PM   #23
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoominC6
Porky, Do you have any idea when you plan to be in the Black Hills?
We plan to be in Spearfish for 3 weeks around mid-June or early July ... no reservations made yet. Also, we plan to be in Custer for 2 weeks after Spearfish.

When will you be there? I love Corvettes ... especially the pre-Stingrays. Had a '58 back in high school.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 07:08 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Oakdale , Minnesota
There will probably not be an immediate change in plans, but there will be a lot of thought put into longer term strategies.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 09:45 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky Pig
We plan to be in Spearfish for 3 weeks around mid-June or early July ... no reservations made yet. Also, we plan to be in Custer for 2 weeks after Spearfish.

When will you be there? I love Corvettes ... especially the pre-Stingrays. Had a '58 back in high school.
Hundreds of fiberglass fourwheelers will be converging on Spearfish in mid-July for the Black Hills Corvette Classic. We all meet in Sioux Falls and race westward across the state converging in Spearfish. This will be our first show there but we hear it's more fun than the Eureka Springs, Ark Corvette Weekend the first weekend in October each year.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:36 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Custer KOA

Porky -

I can vouch for the folks at the Custer KOA. They were 'new owners' when we were there in 7/05 - they were AWESOME. Can't say enough good things about 'em. They had ice cream socials each night, pancake breakfast on Sat/ Sunday.... Quiet park, close to everything, great people - what more can you ask for. Of course, with all those Corvettes around....

Anyway, I would and will go back to that campground. Tell em "Hi" from me if you do stop there!

Peace

Axel
Old 04-17-2006, 06:23 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Are You Kidding?

On my way to Disney in 10 days, gas is not going to stop me. Been planning this trip with my wife for months.

BTW Gas here in Dubai is .43 cents per gallon (after conversion from litres and dirhams to gallons and dollars). Gotta love this place........

Home Soon
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 08:53 AM   #28
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Dead in the water

I had planned on a month long trip to the southern rockies to celebrate (read recover) from finishing this PhD up. Gas has climbed 50 cents a gallon in the mean time. The trip just isnt going to happen.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote