Old 08-25-2006, 11:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
It seems to me there are always going to be people in our society who want you to do something for them or give them something. They have no qualms in asking these things of you..remember that old (or is it still relevant today?) adage: 'it never hurts to ask' or the other one: 'you don't ask, you don't get' ..I was raised with the values of you treating people the way you would want them to treat you, meaning be nice and respectful of others. That works most of the time with genuine and well-meaning individuals..but when it comes to that definitive point where you wake up realizing you've been used or taken advantaged of, then it's time to stop. Take charge and make some decisions of your own nice to them, but be assertive in your declining to do what they want of you. And surprise, this works well among acquaintances, friends, and yes , sometimes even our own family.

codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 06:30 AM   #16
Rivet Master
2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Sometimes people are caught up in their own lives to remember that others even exist around them. If you hadn't moved to end the "free rider" situation, I would have recommended communicating to them that you feel that a simple thank-you would go along way. I think that would have changed things for the best. But if it didn't work, then you would have known you had been taken for a "chump" and should let them find some other means of transportation.

2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 08:58 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe

BTW my gripe is about turn signals.... common courtesy of letting those around you know in advance what you are planning to do. All the new $50,000 SUV's seem to be lacking signals or they only work after pressing the brake pedal..
Glen, I have experienced this same thing over and over. I am not an engineer, but I have concluded that the transmission from a cell phone in use intereferes with the ability of the turn signal to transmit to the receiver in the turn signal/brake lighting circuit in expensive new vehicles. Also, I suspect the built in GPS systems are also negatively affected by cell phone signals, as the GPS obviously does not warn the driver early enough about the upcoming off ramp forcing the driver to cut in front of the rest us at the last possible moment. --dave
Streamin 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 09:11 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member
2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
Unhappy manners

It's not just you

I work in a public library. Manners seem to be a thing of my parent's generation, in many small ways. I do not know that I have been taken advantage of, but "thank you" seems to have mostly disappeard from some adult's and most children's vocabulary, with the exception of a few few very enjoyable children. We ran a Summer Reding program at the library, that had prizes the children could win in a drawing at the end of the six weeks. The children that I saw come to pick up their prizes, with their parents, never said thank you and neither did t he parents. A sad comentary
uluwene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 09:51 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
2005 28' Safari
Port Orchard , Washington
Oprah shed some light on this subject this week.
The changing class system in the USA. Currently they are:
1 rich
2 striving to be rich
3 poor
4 po
When our grandparents were young, 80% of them were on or around farms when growing up. They learned "common sense" from the farm. The crystalized logic of action+action=reaction was universal.
So you had 80% of the population that "knew" the same truths, "common" knowledge. The society was trained the same, readin - rightin - rithmatic. The country was "we, the people". And we the people were middle class.
I would venture the guess that pulling an Airstream denotes the occupants as "middle class" in the old sense.
So today, the class structure in society is different.
10% rich
10% old style middle class, "Airstreamers"

80% Sesame street, Barney the dinosaur,
and MTV "what have YOU done for ME lately"? Poor INDIVIDUALS!
As long as it's there, they will take it.
So, don't expect that 80% to act in a civilized manner, 'cause they ain't.
Being nice is a personal choice, and I respect nice folks. There have always been INDIVIDUALS around to take advantage. I just do my part to help those INDIVIDUALS feel LONELY.
Druupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:51 AM   #20
Rivet Master
2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Maxine would say;
Attached Images

wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 12:42 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Just think

Thanks to all who responded providing suggestions,support and a dash of comedy mixed in.

GlenCoombe thanks for the well wishes for a smooth move.Hope my online time is not disrupted too long Got to have my Forum fix don't you know.

enduroryda,I enjoyed the recounting of the bike story.It's good to have your priorities straight.I'd say your son will turn out to be a fine young man.Karma to you.

I would agree that a lot depends on how one is raised and being a parent with a young child I just have to shake my head at the way some other parents speak to and treat THEIR OWN kids.Some of them will never have a chance.Sad really.

Just think how different things would be if everyone treated one another in our daily lives the way we treat each other on the forums What a different world it would be.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote