Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Is dealer right about a leak?

Our 2011 is leaking! Right by the door. On the inside of the trailer it's not leaking much, just small drops at a seam but if you smell at the seam, you can smell dampness for sure. It's going to be a couple weeks before I can get it down to the dealer and being in Seattle, it rains daily. The dealer says that a couple weeks is fine to wait and that the insulation will dry up right away and not smell once the leak is fixed. Is he correct? We're kinda freaking out since it's brand new.
AlumFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlumFalcon View Post
Our 2011 is leaking! Right by the door. On the inside of the trailer it's not leaking much, just small drops at a seam but if you smell at the seam, you can smell dampness for sure. It's going to be a couple weeks before I can get it down to the dealer and being in Seattle, it rains daily. The dealer says that a couple weeks is fine to wait and that the insulation will dry up right away and not smell once the leak is fixed. Is he correct? We're kinda freaking out since it's brand new.
Any water leasking into the inside, is not good.

I would suggest you cover the leaking area, so as to protect the interior as much as possible, until you can get the trailer to your dealer.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Had the same problem with my new '06 19CCD. I WOULD NOT WAIT!!!!! Also, the leak might not be coming from the door, but rather from the top and trailing edge of the street side front wrap window. Dealer I bought it from said that they fixed it, but I would up removing the sealant from that area and re-sealing with grey SikaFlex 221. Did the trick.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
Maybe run a dehumidifier in your trailer to remove moisture from inside until the leak is fixed.

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Ouch! I'm so sorry to hear that. I have to agree with Andy. Cover it up. And hound the repair till they get it right. Good luck. Unfortunately, leaks are widely encountered, no matter how much you pay for a rig. How come my cars never leak?
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I don't know about newer units, but my trailer was designed to funnel rain water into the belly pan at the step release slot location. I removed the inside skin, removed the plywood floor material, and set up a sight meter on the belly pan. Then I measured, on average, two gallons of water intake into the belly pan at the step release slot location from each one inch rain shower. A slower rain increased the intake of water. There was no other water intakes operational at the time of the port testing. I refer to the step release slot as the alternative fresh water intake port.

The only thing that would surprise me about an Airscream product would be if they didn't leak. There's nothing I can see wrong with the products if used as designed. Total inside storage combined with very low usage hours consisting of mostly summer desert trips may not damage them at all.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Document document then document some more for future damages claim. It's under warrenty, if it leaked new for you it leaked at the dealer lot for a while, untouched and not vented to remove the moisture. Take pictures at the dealership when they inspect, keep dates/times of phone calls and visits and what was done. Before/after photos of all repairs and the names of the employees who worked on the trailer. Do not neglect the documentation, then document some more.......

Believe me when I say, when the warrenty runs out, you will be blamed for not properly taking care of your trailer and doing all required maintenance. A 2011 trailer should not leak. Leak points of detection do not mean that the leak is in that specific spot or anywhere near that spot.

Have you started the documentation yet? Get on it, you will need it.

When I was at the factory getting my 5.5 year old trailer repaired I witnessed a 2010 32 foot trailer being returned. It was nothing more than a big collander. 12 identified leaks that the owner could find, I saw the video. Under threat of a major lawsuit, they replaced this unit with a new off the line unit. The owner had bought it and a tow vehicle new to do alot of travel - they spent a year in the repair shop. They had excellent documentation - video, pictures, receipts, letters, etc. It worked.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:29 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy View Post
video, pictures, receipts, letters, etc.
Good idea, making a video tomorrow.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Same thing with my 2010 Flying Cloud; few drops from the wall seam in bathroom.

Taking it in asap, as live on the "wet coast" too.
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:02 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
In your moist climate it won't take long for mold to get established. But it will take a long time for the water to evaporate out of the insulation in the belly pan. Cover it, and get it in as soon as possible.
I've said this before and I'll say it again. All RV's leak, it's just a fact of life, the body torque and flexing as you travel breaks the seal on the many openings and seams in the unit.
But the question I still have, especially with Airstream is why they don't upgrade their design to prevent the water from entering the cabin and in most cases causing floor rot. In my opinion it would be a simple matter of redesigning the "C" channel to act like a rain gutter on your home. The "C" channel would have drain holes to guide the water down and out of the trailer. With the current design, the only place the water can go is out on the floor since the plywood is sandwiched in the "C" channel.
Floor rot has been a major problem in AS's for over 50 years, you'd think they would have resolved it by now.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:55 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Air Pressure test! Once a year. Follow up with sikiflex or other appropriate flexible sealant. Anything else, you're shooting blind at finding the leaks because water can travel for a foot or more sideways away from a leaky spot.

New leaks can develop from flexing during normal travel

And DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT!

Paula
Old 04-14-2011, 09:03 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Leak by the door could be the awning where it is attached to the AS. That's where mine was. Dealer knew exactly where to look. zz
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:22 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi
Leak by the door could be the awning where it is attached to the AS. That's where mine was. Dealer knew exactly where to look. zz
Yeah, the dealer told me it's a common leak point. I'm finally bringing it in this morning, was waiting on a part for another issue. Hopefully they have the equipment for pressure tests.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:41 AM   #14
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
I have to ask. What dealer told you a leak is ok? Call Jackson Center Customer service and tell them what your dealer told you.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:03 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi

I have to ask. What dealer told you a leak is ok? Call Jackson Center Customer service and tell them what your dealer told you.
The dealer told me, so I checked with the Jackson Center and they told me the same thing. They said the leak would just run down the inside of the walls. If they're right or wrong, I'm still annoyed with having to drive back to the dealer so soon. But i get it now, that leaks are just part of the fun. Well, at least I can walk thru one of the Eddie Bauers.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:18 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
They said the leak would just run down the inside of the walls.
Sure, some leaks might do this. But that doesn't mean any leak will work to your benefit. Didn't know that was an added value option, did you? Sounds like they're running damage control for the dealer -- maybe after they know you got the message to get it looked into.

I had an easy-to-find bow window/rockguard leak and fixed it myself (not always the case). Let the dealer handle this for you. And there still is the issue that not every warranty fix will be evident until your 'stream has been bouncing down the road at least a full season. Use your 2 years to maximum advantage and be very pleased about going back towards the end of the warranty period to set things right.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:48 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Got my trailer back from the dealer, they said there was an 1/8 of an inch gap by the top running light. I ran a hose and it seems fixed. Really I wont know until we get some serious rain again. Thanks all for the advice.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:49 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Well, we've had record rain and there's no more leaking, so I guess the dealer did a good repair job.

My "gap" was by the top bathroom vent.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:59 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Congratulations! Hopefully it will stay that way for a very long time. Happy trails!
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaks