Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-19-2004, 11:21 AM   #41
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
John.

I keep forgeting about that thing! That's what I'll do instead of monkeying around with wiring, or end up with a cassette deck that I would not use since I have no tapes.

I have heard that the sound quality is better with the cassette adapter than the Itrip. Something to the effect that FM has a limited range. But considering that most of the music I listen to was originally recorded on wax cylinders, I suppose I wouldn't know much of a difference..

Jonathan
Old 02-19-2004, 11:58 AM   #42
Rivet Master

iTrip

Used an iTrip on my Gen2 and it was not very good. Range was poor and I seemed to hear lots of static.

Upgraded to a Gen3 and sold the iTrip. Frankly, I don't intend to replace it... I use a cassette adapter now or tie into the stereo inputs...

FYI, if you want the best headphones, try these:

http://www.etymotic.com/product_list...t_number=ER-4P
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 07:06 PM   #43

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I just got the iTrip for my iPod. It was out of stock the last month or so, so I had to be patient (I HATE that). Anyway, I found a clear channel in our area and it seems to work pretty good. The music sounded better than the broadcast stations we pick up, though we are in a rural area and so we're not used to having the sharpest signals anyway. But it looks like it's going to work pretty good in the cars and in the house. In the garage I can keep it on the bench within easy reach and it plays through a radio about 12 feet away on a shelf. It definitly just expanded our iPod's usefulness/flexability quite a bit. Maybe I should look into putting a radio in the AS now.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 08:05 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
iPod in my Nissan Titan

Pleasant surprise. The Nissan Titan (and I think most new Nissans) has an auxiliary selection button and an auxiliary jack to plug in an iPod or any other MP3 player with a cheap male to male audio cable in place of your ear phones. Music plays through the truck's speakers. Sound level can be controlled through the iPod or radio volume knob. That just made my new six changer built-in CD player obsolete. Are other auto manufacturers offering this option? I didn't see it in any literature and wasn't paying that close attention when I visited the Auto Show in March. It seems to be a better choice than FM tuners and cassette tape inserts.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 02:22 PM   #45
1 Rivet Member

I'm not fond of the quality of the IPOD, I bought one in August and sold it a few months later. The quality just wansn't as good as I expected from Apple =( I just burn mp3's and keep the cd quality.
ericabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 04:39 PM   #46
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericabjorn
I'm not fond of the quality of the IPOD, I bought one in August and sold it a few months later. The quality just wansn't as good as I expected from Apple =( I just burn mp3's and keep the cd quality.
Strange, I have the 1st gen iPod. I have had no quality issues with it. I will say that depending on where you get your MP3s from, quality of download can very widely (as can CD recordings). I have some MP3s that even audio buffs would have a tough time finding fault.

I run my iPod through my Threshold stasis amp (very, very, very, very high end amp) and I can clearly hear poor recordings as well as the good ones.

Also I find that audio equipment that you play the iPod through can also play a big role in the output quality. For example, the Threshold sounds one way...putting it through a Sony car stereo (which the Airstream has) isn't even in the same ballpark...let alone quality of the MP3.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 11:54 PM   #47
1 Rivet Member

My experience with this is that my burner was too fast for my G4. I had to change the burning speed, in the iTunes prefrences, from fastest possible to 16x. My burner was capable of burning 32x so this was irritating. Never the less, the problem was fixed.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:19 AM   #48
1 Rivet Member

Anyone who owns a laptop or a computer should not be purchasing an iPod (aka harddrive with a screen). Most computers now days have a 40gb or better harddrive and a dvd rom. A computer should be the hub of your Airstream's entertaiment. You can output the audio and video with a single cable to a flat panel screen, amplifier and speaker setup to watch dvds or listen to MP3s. If you need to listen to local radio or watch tv, you can add a $30 usb tv/fm tuner for the computer. They also make usb remotes to control any parameter of your laptop so you don't have to get off the couch or out of bed.

Hope this helps
Old 04-26-2004, 07:08 AM   #49
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I can burn iTunes stuff at 24x...I even think I might be able to burn straight mp3s faster.

A while back, OSX had issues with external devices, however, I haven't seen that problem since the early days of Jaguar or before. I am pleased with both the internal drives and any external drives I've connected. I particularly like having gigabit ethernet among the long list of likes......

As for folks not buying a iPod as the laptop is to be the centerpiece of the digital up, I'd agree to a point. I don't believe I or most others have an iPod for the reasons you state. I, and I would assume most folks buy one because it is a very good mp3 player IMHO. HP and a number of companies agree.

Laptops, although the centerpiece of the digital lifestyle, can be a pain to lug around, and if you boondock, the battery does run down rather quickly. If all you are doing is playing music, the iPod is a great little tool to pack your CD collection along without having to bring a bunch of CDs. If video is involved, I'd agree, a laptop can be the one of the best ways to go, but there are digital video devices similar to the iPod (though a bit larger) that cost less, are smaller, far more portable, and easier to store than a laptop, not to mention the entertainment pkg that you can get with an Airstream or install aftermarket that does almost everything (playing digital media) a workstation can do minus the obvious.

Now if you don't boondock, need a computer anyway, play DVDs, manipulate photos, surf the net, etc while on vacation, the laptop is a clear choice. However, I spend most of my time outside the Airstream sightseeing, using my smokey joe, playing music via my iPod and when I get home, place my nose under my keyboard to import all the pics I took while on vacation and load up my iPod for another go at it for the next trip.

Of course, I deal with Macs and networking all day long...so when I get away, I usually try to leave as many processors and workstations home, throw away my pager and cellphone and burry myself in vacation!

That does mean though that my number of posts per day go down when in the Airstream and away from home!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #50
2 Rivet Member

1987 31' Excella
Lake City , Florida
you can get a T2 or a T3 External hard drive and use it on your PC & get on frostwire.com & make I tunes your defalt player all is free. also you can store all of your movies & pictures too. have a good day RB