Old 02-17-2004, 10:33 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Round Rock , Texas
I think you're right, Eric.

Old 02-17-2004, 11:19 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie
Neat...always nice to meet folks that work/worked for Apple. I was just there a few weeks ago. Ate at Cafe Macs and saw Steve's office from the courtyard. Cafe Macs was totally unreal. The food was totally awesome. The folks there are real nice and laid back too. I liked the volleyball court in the middle of the courtyard....nice touch....

Eric
Although I was not employed by Apple, I was fortunate enough to be born and raised in sunny Cupertino, and went to the same high school that Jobs and Wozniak went to (Homestead High). It's pretty hard to beat the weather there!!

Did you get a chance to go thru Apple's company store while you were in Cupertino? It's quite a neat place!!

Old 02-17-2004, 11:27 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Re: Speaking of iPods ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Porky Pig
Has anyone tried the new iTunes Music Store?

I've purchased 65 songs so far ... also discovered some artisits I had never heard of.
LOL!! Buying songs from iTunes is a bit like eating potato chips! It's hard to stop with just one. There's so many albums I like at the record store that only have one good song. Buying the whole album just for that one song was hard to justify. Buying those songs "a la carte" is a great idea.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:13 AM   #32
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Photobitstream
The food at the Apple Cafe is pretty awesome.

There was an Apple clone manufacturer in Austin. I'll remember their name later. Some of the Austin Apple tech reps went to work for them.
Power Computing, baby!! I had one of those when living down there. I stopped in the headquarters outside town just months before the second coming of Steve, which sounded the death knell for the ole' Power Tower Pros. Ugly as hell, but they were really fast.

Alright, I think we've gotten about as far off topic as possible on an Airstream forum. Back to iPods in trailers

Brad
Old 02-18-2004, 01:11 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

If anyone has trouble with the iPod earphones, I know of a fix you can try.
I still have an old Power Tower too. They were great machines.
Still off topic... but have you heard about the 18 month battery life expectancy for the iPods?
Old 02-18-2004, 06:39 AM   #34
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Sure did. Picked up a t-shirt while I was there...they gave us the employee discount too! Was in as many places as they'd let me. I was also in the briefing center where they had most of the current product line on display.

Power computing sounds like it wa the one I was thinking about.

My thoughts on the battery was that the problems were with the first gen only. I didn't think that the battery problem went beyond that. I have a first gen and it so far has been fine. Battery life seems to be fairly consistant. Even though it's not required, I discharge it almost fully before recharging it.

Eric
Old 02-18-2004, 08:46 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

Battery University

Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie
My thoughts on the battery was that the problems were with the first gen only. I didn't think that the battery problem went beyond that. I have a first gen and it so far has been fine. Battery life seems to be fairly consistant. Even though it's not required, I discharge it almost fully before recharging it.

Eric
I think everyone is going to have a problem with the iPod's battery eventually. It is a lithum-ion design that rarely lasts more than three years from the date of manufacture. Usually it lasts less than that. It's the same kind of battery found in today's laptops, cell phones, digital cameras and camcorders. You can find out how to get the most life out of your expensive batteries (all types) at Battery University http://www.batteryuniversity.com

- Charlie
Old 02-18-2004, 11:56 AM   #36

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
While reseraching my iPod a couple weeks ago before I bought it I read that unlike NiCad batteries, the iPod battery should NOT be discharged completely before recharging, as it will shorten battery life. Didn't bookmark where I read that, but the battery was a big concern for me so I read just about everything I could find about it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 01:41 PM   #37
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Well the old saying with NiCad was that you had to do it. With Nickel metal hydrides you could or could not, it was up to you. I've had my iPod 1st gen now for about 15 months. I does go dead if I don't use it for a week or so, but after charging it, it can last for a long time.
Old 02-18-2004, 01:54 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stefrobrts
While reseraching my iPod a couple weeks ago before I bought it I read that unlike NiCad batteries, the iPod battery should NOT be discharged completely before recharging, as it will shorten battery life. Didn't bookmark where I read that, but the battery was a big concern for me so I read just about everything I could find about it.
Yes, that's good advice. Like your laptop, when the charge gets down to around 25% you should recharge it to prolong the battery life.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:04 AM   #39
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
I was going to see if AS would exchange the standard equiped CD player that the Bambi comes with to an AM/FM Cassette player. This would allow me to use the Ipod with the cassette adapter I now use in the van.

Does anyone know if any of the AS trailers are still offered with an AM/FM casette player, or are they all shipped with a CD player.

I just thought this would solve hooking up the Ipod.

2) Is it possible to wire up some sort of adapter plug to the current CD player so that you could hook a pod up to that? This would be my first choice.

Thanks

Jonathan
Old 02-19-2004, 11:58 AM   #40
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
How about an iTrip? It runs off the iPod battery, you could use it in the trailer or tow vehicle. They are $30 at Compusa and seem to work pretty well.

John
Old 02-19-2004, 12:21 PM   #41
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
John.

I keep forgeting about that thing! That's what I'll do instead of monkeying around with wiring, or end up with a cassette deck that I would not use since I have no tapes.

I have heard that the sound quality is better with the cassette adapter than the Itrip. Something to the effect that FM has a limited range. But considering that most of the music I listen to was originally recorded on wax cylinders, I suppose I wouldn't know much of a difference..

Jonathan
Old 02-19-2004, 12:58 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

iTrip

Used an iTrip on my Gen2 and it was not very good. Range was poor and I seemed to hear lots of static.

Upgraded to a Gen3 and sold the iTrip. Frankly, I don't intend to replace it... I use a cassette adapter now or tie into the stereo inputs...

FYI, if you want the best headphones, try these:

http://www.etymotic.com/product_list...t_number=ER-4P