Old 04-23-2004, 01:55 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
Internet use when travelling

Is there a way to use your own computer in your own trailer to send internet messages? If so what does it involve? If one gets phone hookup in a camp- can your computer use it? Is this very expensive? I want to stay in touch with my family, often several times a day. Thank you, (Yes I am a computer idiot but I like e-mails and IM's ) silver suz

Old 04-23-2004, 02:01 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Just a few ways Suz. First if the campground has a campsite phone hookup you could plug into a modem in your PC. Some campgrounds also have lines available at the office which you can plug into. Either way you need to have a number that you can dial to for your Internet Service Provider (ISP). Some have 800 numbers but charge by the minute. Some have local numbers which are free calls. You also may be able to connect to your cell phone to get an internet connect. You would require a special cable for that.

One other method of connection is by way of wireless. Some campgrounds offer 802.11b or g service. Of course you need a wireless card in your PC. Note that there may be a per hour or per day charge for this. In some locales you may find resturants or other businesses offering free wireless access.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 02:32 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
Send a message via Yahoo to jjonesnc
Suv, for you I would suggest a cell phone modem as I know you will be inside a great deal. I am planning to use a cell phone modem because I will be fulltiming on the road the majority of the time.
-Jason
Old 04-23-2004, 02:36 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
Oh I forgot.....its best to install an antenna on the outside of the Airstream for a cell phone because of the aluminum skin blocking the signal unless you are parked close to a repeater (tower). My nextel would not work untill I installed the antenna. The trick is to get a cell phone that has the antenna hook up seperate from the data hookup. Im sure your service provider can help you there.
-Jason
Old 04-23-2004, 02:40 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Just a few ways Suz. First if the campground has a campsite phone hookup you could plug into a modem in your PC. Some campgrounds also have lines available at the office which you can plug into. Either way you need to have a number that you can dial to for your Internet Service Provider (ISP). Some have 800 numbers but charge by the minute. Some have local numbers which are free calls. You also may be able to connect to your cell phone to get an internet connect. You would require a special cable for that.

One other method of connection is by way of wireless. Some campgrounds offer 802.11b or g service. Of course you need a wireless card in your PC. Note that there may be a per hour or per day charge for this. In some locales you may find resturants or other businesses offering free wireless access.

Jack
Great info Jack, I am wondering about the signal getting thru the trailer to the computer however. can you provide any additional info on signal strength/range of wireless network?
-Jason
Old 04-23-2004, 02:58 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
In some locales you may find resturants or other businesses offering free wireless access.

Jack
I read a few days ago that McDonald's signed a contract with some company to provide wireless access for most of their restaurants within the next 12 months. The charge to use the service will be about $2.00 per hour. Starbucks is already doing this. It makes sense for most private campgrounds to have wireless access as well in the next couple of years.

- Charlie
Old 04-23-2004, 11:59 PM   #7
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Petunia and I are using Verizon Wireless and a tri-mode cell phone for our Internet access. So far, we have been able to connect from within our AS without using an external antennae ... although an external will give you a stronger signal in weak areas. We saw some pretty nifty external setups at the Escapees rally this week.

Our notebook is also equipped with b&g wireless flavors. We were able to use it for free at the rally ... and the next park we visit on Monday has just installed wireless .. so we'll be using it there as well ... especially when it is free.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 12:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Suz, You said in your trailer and several times per day.
I use my Verizon cell phone and a Dell laptop. Service can be spotty if you don't have a tower within 5-10 miles. Also, my plan is only 400 anytime minutes (7am-9pm). If you are on during the day, you will burn through your anytime minutes.

Wilson makes external antennaes. Attach a piece of steel to your refrig vent and attach a small magnet antennae with wire coming down thru vent. They also sell a "Yagi" directional antennae & amplifier if you so choose. I had no problem using my laptop and cellphone from inside the trailer when the 5-10 miles was in effect.

You didn't mention your current isp. Earthlink for example has a list of all their local toll free numbers nationwide online. Most campgrounds will have one or two local phone lines in the main gathering building. You may have to sign up to use. They may lock up the room at 10:00pm.
Old 04-24-2004, 05:21 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
Talking traveling and internet connections

Being a traveling nurse, I have had to carry my computer and fax machine everywhere I go. I stay with AOL as I can access local numbers anywhere. I have stayed with the dial up modem and obtain access and am able to email while out on assignment, however, I usually have longer assignments and I don't know how long you plan on staying in one place at any given time.....
Old 04-24-2004, 08:37 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
Thanks everyone for your great ideas. Does everyone mostly use non apple equipment? I've never used apple and everyone says it's so much easier, Probably more down to my level : ) silver suz
Old 04-24-2004, 09:38 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
I am currently using a Hewlet Packard and it works very nicely and is compatable with almost everything and also very affordable. I learned the hard way that I do not need a mega computer for the things that I do. One word of caution though--do not get a Gateway!! I spent mega bucks on a computer in 1999 from them only to find that it had several different dates on different parts in the computer and it crashed all of the time. The company would not give me my money back. I had to replace 3 monitors--the first one the first week I got it, the second one two weeks afterward, and the third one in only 4 months and then it totally crashed...I had an expensive piece of junk. No one could fix it and the company agreed to fix it for a hefty fee of buy another one, but would not exchange it.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:18 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver suz
Thanks everyone for your great ideas. Does everyone mostly use non apple equipment? I've never used apple and everyone says it's so much easier, Probably more down to my level : ) silver suz
I currently use an Apple laptop and am happy with it. A couple of years ago I had a Sony Vaio laptop which was nice too. For general surfing around the internet, it makes almost no difference whether you use a Windows machine or a Mac.

Macs are great if you are interested in editing and organizing photos or camcorder movies, or making music with the free synthesizer program they include. The machine and Apple culture is really oriented towards "creative" types.

Windows is the way to go if you like to play computer games, or just want a general purpose computer.

Battery life is important to laptop users. When you find a machine you like, do some research to find out how many hours you can get out of it before it needs recharging. Don't pay any attention to how many hours the computer manufacturer says their unit will run. They never live up to the claims.

Hope that helps!

- Charlie
Old 04-25-2004, 08:27 AM   #13
photoduo

You should check out T-Mobile internet plan. I use it when i am on the road (which is about 6 months out of the year). You just slip the pc card into the PCMCIA Type II slot on your computer and it acts like a cell phone in your computer. It even has a little antenna on it. You can even make and receive calls with it if you add that feature onto your internet plan. You never have to worry about finding a phone jack or a "hot spot" again. I have the internet plan which lets me access the web unlimited for $30 a month. You do need to be in signal range for it to work but i am all around the country and it works quite well except for some remote areas. Check their coverage map or ask people in the are if they use T-Mobile service. I use and also set up mac systems for printing companies, so i am partial to mac, which for arguments sake is the answer to graphics related needs. Unfortunately the pc card will only work with pc's, so i bought a sony vaio (for $300 on ebay) to use just for email and internet when traveling. The connection speed is also limited to 56k which is dial-up speed, however sierra wireless is going to release a card that will be capable of 3 times the dial-up speed about 3-4 months from now. I realize this setup is not cost effective for everyone but if you have the need (as i do) it works great.

- Charlie

http://www.photoduo.com
Old 05-25-2004, 10:56 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
I have decided not to bring the laptop, because I don't have AOL and can't use a local low cost dialup. So I search the internet for "cybercafe" locations where I'm traveling and keep a list with me, and buy my coffee and clicka clicka right there.

Just my 2c.

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote