Old 05-25-2004, 11:46 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
Hmmm.. I still don't know what to do. I can't go in a lot of those places. I noticed one of the RV Parks had their internet hookups right next to the washers. No way I can go there. And I spend so much time on the internet, staying in touch with family and friends. Lately , it seems like 4 hours /day. Hopefully with better air, and feeling better. I'll spend more time outdoors. Still, I spend time e-mailing -not watching TV.Sorry, wingfoot, I don't even know what an Isp is and with my memory going downhill .Even if you told me, I'd forget. I need repetitive lessons before I understand it. My dog is faster at learning than I am silver suz

Old 05-26-2004, 12:37 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Silver Suz;
Do you have a wireless laptop? You can sign up for the T-Mobile account where you pay as you go, which means you walk into a Starbuck's that has wireless capability, ask them to help you get online. The only question I have about that is, do you pay the T-mobile amount and also a fee to the Starbucks or Kinko's to get online?

Kinko's and Starbucks are everywhere.

I want to stay connected on the road too, I have a wireless laptop I can bring, but I don't know the best way to send photos and updates home on our trip.

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 09:17 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Okay- I have a DellLatitude CS micrsoft windows 2000 , no dvd port) Which I got used for the 2 months I spent in ST. Croix, USVI, plugged into my phone line.. (Before everyone groans how lucky I was- I was in a small 8 room hotel on a georgous bay. With the only thing I could walk to was an, I admit, wonderful little place that consisted of an open frond roof bar (I don't drink)that served some food- that had great sunsets- And NO public transportation.Besides the ocean, which I loved, but the reef had been destroyed in a recent hurricane, And the bay was downwind from a huge oil refinery 5 miles away. (I didnt know) Really If I had just been able to moped to other places, I would have been very happy. I knew what I wanted to do, but couldn't. This is where I was for 9/11- so my visit was extended.
This is the lead-in to Kinkos-it's way too toxic for me to enter. Starbucks- is iffy.
BUT I have no way of getting there. Bumming rides from strangers, even very nice ones, is difficult. They often wear perfumes, or the car is armouralled or they have those pine tree things (Terpines), or the motor is diesel- why does diesel start with die?) : ). Plus the embarassment of asking a couple of times a day every day, when I will probably have to ask someone to take me shopping once or twice a week- and with a service dog? (I need organic food). At the moment walking down the drive to my postbox is an effort breathing. Hopefully this whole thing is going to get me better. But there will be a difficult transition period to get over. (I DO NOT want to put others in the difficult position of dealing with me if I go into anaphylactic shock or a seizure- the type I look like I go to sleep) I'm just being realistic. And maybe I am not being really realistic-that I can survive on my own. That's why, somehow ,for me, hiring someone to help whose help I can depend on, is easier than to have to depend on the kindness of relative strangers-whom I might need for a quick trip to the emergency room.
I'm sure this is all too much garbage to some people- (to them I apologise). But it's very hard for most people imagine how difficult it is for me to motivate, on my own. It's hard to imagine not being able to get around on one's own these days. Cities would be the best place for that-but are too toxic for me to live in- and public transport in the country? non-existant. That's why I need to be independant, with my own source of communication. It keeps me sane. Can you understand? That's why I need the computer connection to be in my trailer, that's hopefully a really safe place for me to be. you know-when everyone is out using their charcoal fire starter for dinner!!! (well, the mosquitos are out then too!!) Thank you very much for your help and suggestions. silver suz. And Is my laptop too ancient? or useable for internet? Thanks again
Old 05-26-2004, 12:46 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Suz, not garbage. It sounds like you do have to be very conscious of your surroundings...now I understand. Sounds like an RV park with a data port is your answer, but there are other options. There's a link I found somewhere... explaining all the options for internet access for RV'ing in semi-English, let me find it and post it this afternoon or evening.

ingrid
Old 05-26-2004, 02:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Question Very fast internet connections...

I potentially need to have a very fast internet connection when I travel since I telecommute for work. I have found a company that offers portable satellite internet connections that sounds like it could do what I want but it appears to be spendy. The standard access fees are $99 per month. I do not yet know how much the equipment costs. I currently use a cable modem connection from at home that costs me almost $40 per month.

http://www.groundcontrol.com/prod_ig2500_001.htm

Does anyone have any experience with this company?

Malconium
Old 05-26-2004, 02:58 PM   #20
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
No experience, but I have seen some of the data storm units installed. They are LARGE. If you are mounting it on a standard trailer there would need to be some additional metal work used to spread the load.

On a Box style Airstream MH you could just mount it on the roof and be fine.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 04:21 PM   #21
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
The ground control unit from the link above looks like it is basically a Directway satellite system with a self contained computer that acts as the network access point.

I used a bi-directional satellite like that for about 18 months (fixed to a house). Downloads can achive the speeds advertised but remember it has to send the signal to space and back so there is a lot of latency. It will not act like your snappy cable modem. When you make a request for a website, it takes a while before the page comes down.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 08:41 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Silver Suz, here you go: getting online on the road:

http://www.rv-info.net/rvonline.html

ingrid
Old 05-26-2004, 08:43 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Let me be even more clear and less politically correct than Organic Andy.

I use the Direcway 2-way satellite system now, at home, because I have no alternatives here.

1) Uploads stink. I typically get about 12 kbps, which is half the upload speed of a dial-up connection. Forget the advertised "128 kbps upload speed" -- that's theoretical peak rate and never actually occurs in real life.

2) Downloads with lots of "handshaking" like getting POP email are moderately slow because of the latency issue Andy mentioned. It's much faster to get big files through a web interface rather than a POP3 account.

Still, if you have no choice, satellite is the way to go. I just wish I had a choice ..

-- RL

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 09:24 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Thank you Ingrid, there is certainly enough information to digest there for a while!! I really appreciate it. silver suz
Old 05-26-2004, 09:42 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Here's what my Dad and I figured out: If I sign up for an AOL account, and use the dialup modem, all you need to do is find an RV park that has either a data port (a phone jack) or use the existing phone jack to plug into your computer. AOL is the only one that has a local number anywhere you go, so you don't have to pay phone call fees. So I'm going to sign up for AOL and use the whatever hours free, and then cancel after our trip is done. That's the only way I can get internet access on the road most cheaply, and with the equipment I have.

ingrid

ingrid
Old 05-26-2004, 11:28 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
AOL is the only one that has a local number anywhere you go, so you don't have to pay phone call fees. So I'm going to sign up for AOL and use the whatever hours free, and then cancel after our trip is done. That's the only way I can get internet access on the road most cheaply, and with the equipment I have.

ingrid
Ah well. There IS BlueLight.com if you want to use a dial up nation wide..... the setup disk comes with a complete set of nationwide numbers to use. Cost is around $10 a month. We've used this for nearly two years, no problems, good tech support. Once installed, each time you open the account, it asks you where you are, and gives you a list of dialupnumbers to use. You then select the best for you.
But.
Just purchased the Verizon Mobile Office kit, special cable to my cell phone, and software to make it work. Slow, but do-able. I wamt iot mainly to check email.
Planning on using this setup to feed the results of Top Ten and Premier UKC shows to two mail lists daily. Reporter (data gather-ers) will give results for the chosen venue (agility, conformation, weight pull, or obedience) to a person who will prepare the report. It will be posted after 9 local time so we use free minutes...... my cell phone will call my local isp about 500 miles away, and upload the reports!
I'll have to let you all know how it works.....

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 05-26-2004, 11:30 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Forgot to say, my local provider will give me a list of numbers if I let them know where I am! While it doesn't show in my normal email address, part of my actual addy and my dialup id includes .multidial

EiI
Old 05-27-2004, 10:19 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Joshua Tree , California
Patience Pilgrims, here's the new hotness :

"The Fortune 250 diversified energy company is teaming with Earthlink to offer broadband Internet service to more than 500 homes in several North Carolina neighborhoods via existing power lines."