Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2007, 11:54 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Interesting rig

So check this out y'all (in my best Texas twang)....

I was just perusing the eBay classifieds, and found this truck. Amazing though it was, it wasn't until I got down to some pictures of pictures, showing what he was towing. It indeed looks like he mated an Airstream MH to an Airstream trailer, and the end result was a fifth wheel.

I wonder if anyone here has seen it in person, or knows what might have happened to it. It would sure be interesting to see some better shots of it.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 01:34 PM   #2
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
The time frame wouldn't fit the era of the truck. The Argosy motor homes came in the late '70's didn't they? The wrap windows of the Argosy travel trailers came in the mid-70's didn't they? If this is a joining of the brands to make a 5th wheel, it is the most aesthetically pleasing home made "Airstream" 5th wheel I've seen.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 02:52 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
I think...

I think the 5th wheel in the picture is a Avion. They had the same look, kinda Pointy but rounded whereas the AS is more bubbled.

Cool pics. I think the pics gotta be from the early 70s as well. What would you do with the hitch, its not like anything I have seen before.
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariSS
I think the 5th wheel in the picture is a Avion. They had the same look, kinda Pointy but rounded whereas the AS is more bubbled.

Cool pics. I think the pics gotta be from the early 70s as well. What would you do with the hitch, its not like anything I have seen before.
The front end of the trailer, somehow, is Airstream/Argosy motorhome. Look at the front end, look at the profile. It practically screams "Look! I used to be part of a motorhome!" And from what I can see from the door and windows, it looks like it was "fused" to a standard trailer. If money was indeed no object for this guy, he could've/would've been able to pull this off. What was the first year for the Argosy/Airstream MH?

Friend of mine wondered if the hitch setup might have been something like how they used to hook up and drag airplanes around the tarmac. Given the guy's profession, I wouldn't doubt it.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:54 AM   #5
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I seem to remember seeing a 5th wheel in my youth that was a fiberglass unit (off-white) that would have looked very similar to this one. It would have been during the 1970's sometime so it is possible that this 5th wheel is a sister unit that was custom painted to match the truck. As I recall, this 5th wheel from my younger days had tinted wrap around windows. But, it seems like the nose was a little more pointed, both vertically and horizontally. Maybe this was an earlier or later version of a rare brand.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote