Old 08-27-2004, 03:40 PM   #1
Tom

Insurance For My 25ft 1970 Caravaner-

I am seeking information on the best insurance company to use for my 1970 Caravaner. Some companies will not insure trailers this old. If any of you fellow Airstreamers could give me some suggestions, I would appreciate it greatly.

Tom

Old 08-27-2004, 04:00 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

I had 72 insured through independent agent who placed it with Travalers. Very reasonable

Old 08-28-2004, 02:23 PM   #3
Tom

Thanks George

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Jr.
I had 72 insured through independent agent who placed it with Travalers. Very reasonable

Thanks George for the info, I will give them a call Monday.

Tom
Old 08-28-2004, 03:59 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Thumbs up

We use ANPAC..... http://anpac.com/
Sold through local agents, reasonable cost
EXCELLENT on claims!
We had not had our policy 30 days when we had a claim. And not a minor, little claim, but a pretty good one! Hail damage, and trashed awning.....
Claim was settled rapidly, and, much to our suprise, no hassle! The adjuster worked with us, it was a real treat.
This was for a 1983 Excella, 31 footer. Time frame? Last summer. No problems with cancellation, or premium increases, either!
What more can I say?
Aslo called American National, based in Springfield, Missouri. Look for a local agent.
good luck!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 08-29-2004, 02:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Read through this thread http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=13273 and it will give you some ideas on companies and also the idea that I stress the most for older units such as yours. Just Insure Yourself and reap the benefits. That is covered in that thread too.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 07:08 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Stone Mountain , Georgia
Good Sams

I am a member of Good Sams club, and they offer RV insurance thru GMAC.

My trailer is new, so I do not know about age requirments, but thier quotes were less than what I was paying from my local agent.

Good luck

eService@GMACInsurance.com
Old 08-29-2004, 11:19 AM   #7
Rivet Master

I did check with my agent just to see what Farm Bureau would charge for RV insurance.

QFirst I wanted to know if my auto coverage included my RV while it was being towed. A My RV, Boat or Airstream, is covered should it break away and hit anything, but only the liability is covered and there is no comprehensive even in I have full coverage on my tow vehicle.

I was told that RV is sold by the thousand dollars of coverage per RV vehicle and not to exceed the value of the RV being insured. The value on vintage RV's can be determined by what other vintage RV's from that era are selling for. This is simple, just copy a few Ebay sales of these things. Anyway then it is up to you what you want to pay. It is $30.00/Year per Thaousand Dollars Coverage, and this does include it's being covered if it is destroyed in an accident.

So $5000 coverage would coat you $150.00 a year, and for a $50,000 coverage it would cost you $1500.00 a year.

My Airstream is a 1975 and it being a 31 footer it is not going to have the value of a 19 - 22 ft unit from the same period. So I would only think that tops $10,000.00 coverage would be all that is necessary for full replacement of mine. You will have to do all the math on your own unit.

I still stress the idea of becoming your own insurance company in this area. In my case I have invested 10K into a mutual growth fund and will now add $25 per month since that is what the insurance would be charging plus reinvest all dividends. Figuring at a mid growth of 10% my investment over 10 years will be $13000.00 that will earn $18,990.08 in interest and my value will be $31,990.08

At the end of 10 years one would most likely keep their investment growing, but the example is just to show what is possible in only 10 years by simply paying yourself rather than the insurance company.

The nice part is that you have all that money at the end of 10 years instead of just having another monthly or annual payment that is due.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 11:18 AM   #8
Tom

Thanks Elizabeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedars
We use ANPAC..... http://anpac.com/
Sold through local agents, reasonable cost
EXCELLENT on claims!
We had not had our policy 30 days when we had a claim. And not a minor, little claim, but a pretty good one! Hail damage, and trashed awning.....
Claim was settled rapidly, and, much to our suprise, no hassle! The adjuster worked with us, it was a real treat.
This was for a 1983 Excella, 31 footer. Time frame? Last summer. No problems with cancellation, or premium increases, either!
What more can I say?
Aslo called American National, based in Springfield, Missouri. Look for a local agent.
good luck!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Thanks Elizabeth, I have already went to the ANPAC site and gotten a local agent to check with. Your help is much appreciated.

Tom
Old 08-30-2004, 12:14 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Stone Mountain , Georgia
GMAC follow-up

This morning I finished changing my RV insurance to GMAC. They came in 300.00 a year cheaper than my current provider.

Andy