Old 02-21-2005, 07:08 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
2004 25' Safari
that's what they said

We have all our coverage with State Farm, except for the Streamer. I asked our agent a lot of questions. FWIW a few of the answers were;
1) I was told that the coverage from State Farm WOULD NOT cover any towing of the RV if the tow vehicle was disabled, unless it was attached to the tow vehicle & towed at the same time. I do not think any towing company would tow the two units at the same time. So if we had TV problems, we could
1a) leave the RV beside the road with the wife to safe guard it ( not a chance) while the TV was towed in for repairs or
2b) Have the RV also towed in at our expense. That's the route we would have to go.
While there may be ways around it, I didn't care to go there, while also having another problem. Also our RV insurance IS SUPPOSED to call an RV friendly towing service & the Ins would cover towing for both the TV & RV.
2) State Farm would not cover on the road RV flat tire changes, hitch problems, etc, in other words no RV road service, which for me is very important.
3) It also appeared that I might encounter problems with State Farm adjusters, if the RV was ever damaged & needed repairs. We know that it is more expensive to have an A/S repaired than another SOB, but do the adjusters & will it entail a lot of problems? Also our agent did not think that State Farm would have us go to an A/S qualified repair shop, without some questions, unless it was the closest one. Our agent would not say, but I could read the body language & was not comfortable. State Farm would also go by the Blue Book for repairs & it would be up to me to justify the additional cost. Hail damage was my biggest concern. While I can not say how our current Ins Co. might react, they are an RV insurance handler & I would hope to have a better chance of a fair settlement.
4) will the RV be covered by ins while stored at home? Funny that our other items, like the pontoon, boat, etc are covered by homeowners ins while stored, but the RV would not be unless we carried full year round RV coverage.
There were other issuses of concern that I raised, so I would encourage you to ask & ask again before you decide.
I am comfortable with the ins we have, but it was not the cheapest RV insurance, but then again neither was the RV we purchased. The right ins for a person is something like the right TV, debatable. People have different levels of comfortbility. For us, I feel comfortable that we have most items covered that are of a concern & to me that's most important while on the road.

Home of the Wayward Wind

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 05:53 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I went by the State Farm office today and spoke with my agent. My current premium is just a few dollars over $200 for 12 months. He told me the price was based not on what I payed for the used unit but what the price was when it was new. I had asked Airstream what the cost was back in '77 and they told me it was $19,830 or there abouts. That means I am looking at something like $250-275 depending on the price of the 25' Sovereign in 1986. I told him it would take at least $10,000 minimum to replace the trailer and a used Hensley so he came up with a figure of $125 annually. I thought great until I said, "It's newer, not an Excella like my other, why is it cheaper? That was when he said that it was based on the 1986 price. Strange, it is also $500 deductible like my current policy.

Hmm, retail price vs. purchase price! Since there is a difference between the 2 then it will effect the annual premium so I guess I will have to figure out the steal of the century.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 07:44 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Originally Posted by A.E. Milliman
We have all our coverage with State Farm, except for the Streamer. I asked our agent a lot of questions. FWIW a few of the answers were;
1) I was told that the coverage from State Farm WOULD NOT cover any towing of the RV if the tow vehicle was disabled, unless it was attached to the tow vehicle & towed at the same time. I do not think any towing company would tow the two units at the same time. So if we had TV problems, we could
Its done every day with semi's,it would not be a problem as long as the tow truck had enough motor.

If you demand a roll back then the truck can go on the tow truck and they can tow the trailer on the wheel lift on the rear. The wheel lift is hight adjustable so they would have no problem getting the needed ball hight. Most roll backs are set up to do just this anyway.
1959 22' Caravanner
1988 R20 454 Suburban.
Atlanta, GA
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 09:27 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
David Z71's 25' should be close to mine. I have a '90 Excella 25'. Just checked on my Allstate coverage which is tagged to all my vehicles.

Collision $500 ded $82 (annual)
Comprehensive$100ded $64
Total $146 (annual)
listed as "actual cash value limits"

I believe they used book value in their determinations.

Sounds like Progressive would be best esp if the TT is used often.

Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 06:39 AM   #19
Remember Burma Shave!
2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , S.Florida
Proper & adequate coverage ?

It is recommended to insure your unit with an AGREED VALUE - only. This way you know exactly what your policy limits are for comprehensive and collision. Limits can be modified upward as your investment (and value) increase during restoration. Documentation will be necessary.

Coverage predicated on purchase price [Total Loss Replacement/Purchase Price] can sometimes be adequate when the unit is relatively new.

Be aware that some policies will depreciate different items at different percentages, such as awnings etc., when paying a claim. What are the limits the company will pay if someone breaks in and steals all your stuff ?? If it is not enough you can increase the coverage. (personal contents)

Ask your agent for a copy of the policy they are recommending, and READ IT! They are usually boiler plate, although most often re-structured different by each individual company.

Ask questions to fully understand the verbiage. Read the policy ...!

If you have sold your home, or have left it for an extended period of time, and are full timing, make sure you have a full-timers policy. This will provide you with some level of liability coverage (visitor slip & fall in your camp site, your unintentional damage to a camp site, etc.) Did you store 'stuff' when you left. Is it covered from a loss?

Make sure you understand the exclusions in the policy language. Example: if you live temporally on a commercial job site in your unit, you may not have coverage. Your agent should be advised of these situations and modify your policy to extend this coverage.

Are you going to Mexico? ... Alaska ? ... do you have coverage while in Canada? Does the company have certain U.S. states they do not cover where you store the unit? (this statement may be integrated into the application you have to sign) Ask the questions!

Your policy is a contract, please 'insure' that you agree with it.

NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote