Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2008, 10:11 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Inflatable boats?

We're looking at the possibility of getting a small inflatable craft like a canoe or kayak. We're looking for something to take out on lakes while we're out with the 'stream. We want one that is durable and will last - not a $29.99 WalMart special. We're willing to spend what it takes to get a decent one.

We don't know if we want a 2 singles or 1 two-person - we'll figure out that one when the time comes. We prefer inflatable because of the weight/storage issues.

Any advice - comments or suggestions???
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:01 AM   #2
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but here are some of the finest boats you can carry in your trunk.

Folbot Folding Kayaks
Long Haul Folding Kayaks
Klepper Foldingkayaks
Feathercraft Folding Kayaks

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 04-06-2008, 11:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Similar discussions at AIR:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161/kayaks-6778.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f198...ion-14530.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...aks-28458.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...noe-36096.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f420...ari-17633.html

We've used a friend's inflatable kayak. You sit real low and the side tubes make it beamy enough that the paddle entry is pretty far out into the water. Double paddles are the way to go with this. It was a lot of work to cover any amount of water and not much fun.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:25 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I was at Camping World a couple of weeks ago, and saw a collapsible boat offered there. Not exactly inflatable, but if something happens to pierce the side, you can still reach shore with a lot of bailing, versus the thing deflating as you frantically paddle...
Old 04-06-2008, 11:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I have paddled both single and double kayaks and much prefer singles.
You have to coordinate your paddle strokes in a double, in a single you have much more freedom and autonomy. If you are both paddleing on a lake, you can each take short detours to check out various things without both of you having to come to an agreement about it. If one boat does develop a leak or other problem, there is always another person/boat to assist or rescue.
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 12:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I saw one of these aluminum folding canoes last year on a local lake and thought it was pretty cool. It also goes well with the Airstream!

Instaboat is a smart foldable light boat. Instaboat est un ingénieux bateau pliable.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 12:28 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120
I saw one of these aluminum folding canoes last year on a local lake and thought it was pretty cool. It also goes well with the Airstream!

Instaboat is a smart foldable light boat. Instaboat est un ingénieux bateau pliable.
That's the one Camping World was selling when I was there.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
If your plans are to putt around on lakes you might consider a true dingy. I have an 8 ft rollup with a hard transom, sold by West Marine. 2 people can fish and if does fine with a small trolling motor. I did make a folding plywood floor instead of the soft bottom, 100% better. I hook my trolling battery to the Airstreams 12 volt system to recharge overnight
Go ahead and chuck the oars, I don't think it's possible to row the beast
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 01:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Great information - lot's of choices. Dave mad a particularly good point about 2 singles vs 1 double.

I'm thinking about the Sevylor Colorado canoe. Seats 2 and is $284.99 including shipping.

SEVYLOR® KCC335 COLORADO CANOE - KCC335 Blue - Free Shipping

Anyone have any experience with this one?

We're looking for something to take out on a lake and paddle around a bit. No whitewater (yet - if ever).
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 02:02 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
I've had two friends with Sevylors that got serious and hard to patach leaks. I've been doing the same search, and have been looking hard at the dinghys from West Marine, as mentioned by HiHoAgRv. They've got a bunch of different sizes, etc. Go here: West Marine: West Advisor
I see a lot of them at yacht harbors tied up at the pier while the owner is shopping. The'll also take a small outboard (which I've already got) ... but they're not cheap. Probably because they're durable.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 02:14 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Here's another alternative if you're looking for a "real" fishing boat that's popular with RV'ers... A Folding Foldable Portable Fishing Boat And Dinghy By Porta-Bote Portabote Porta-Boat Portaboat Foldboat * Portabot

Gary
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 02:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I have tried a number of infaltable kayaks. They do not track well and have wind resistance that blows them off course. I have a Zodiac Inflatable with an 9.5 hp outboard and a plywood floor, much better but for a different purpose. I have a rotocast Perception kayak. Much better for that purpose. I have seen the skinned folding kayak like the eskimos use. Very expensive and takes time to erect. I knew one guy with a "Foldaboat" strapped to the side of his old motorhome and was happy with that.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:48 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
The Advanced Frame folding/inflatable kayaks are the ones I am considering.

Inflatable Kayaks | AdvancedFrame Kayak

REI Coop sells the 10.5 ft. model.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:28 AM   #14
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Boats are always part of our camping trip. We have 2 tandem and 2 single yaks. I prefer the tandem even when paddling alone. The open cockpit provides space for fishing pole, etc. The tandems also accommodate three; Mom-Son-Dad (they have a small jump seat that slides in/out). Nowadays we take 2 tandems; Mom/Son -Dad/Dog. Of course there are many yaks available so test paddle a few.
Last year we picked up a Porta-Bote and a small outboard for exploring further than we can get in the yaks. This is the coolest toy we have got since the AS. If you are looking for a boat (not kayak/canoe) then this is the way to go. We often take 2 kayaks and the PB as some lakes/ponds do not allow gas motors or are juts better suited to kayaking. The PB can be rowed also. I run boats all over the ocean (Tuna boats) and am very impressed with the design/quality/ sea worthiness of the PB. If you can find someone in your area that has one, try to get a test drive!
A Folding Foldable Portable Fishing Boat And Dinghy By Porta-Bote Portabote Porta-Boat Portaboat Foldboat * Portabot

PortaBote : Yahoo Portabote Group
Bill
Old 04-07-2008, 06:54 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
How much time does it take for filling/unfilling the boats with air? Is it easy to deflate? I'm just remembering the days of using an air mattress when tent camping and what a chore it was to inflate/deflate.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:45 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
How much time does it take for filling/unfilling the boats with air? Is it easy to deflate? I'm just remembering the days of using an air mattress when tent camping and what a chore it was to inflate/deflate.
For my West Marine Dingy, I pull the plugs and walk off. The material is heavy and it just goes flat (I'm Melting!).
I then roll from the rear forward and stuff it in the tote bag. 5 Minutes?
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:07 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Volcano , California
I have a Sevelor Colorado and it is fun, however last year we purchased a Foldcat from Fisheagle. This is a great easy to set up pontoon boat, we got an electric trolling motor so we don't have to row all the time. I would highly recommend this unit.
Sea Eagle FoldCat Review 375fc Fishing Inflatable Trout Bass
Zugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:10 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Great forum name!

Sorry to go off topic ...

Zugbug...I love your user name!

My husband ties zugbugs all the time!

.... back on topic.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:20 AM   #19
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
I have a small Craftsman 2 gallon air compressor/air tank that would be more than sufficient to inflate the boat. It weighs about 30 pounds, has a carry handle, and would probably fill the canoe in about 5 minutes. Of course, 120 volts would be needed.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:10 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod
Great information - lot's of choices. Dave mad a particularly good point about 2 singles vs 1 double.

I'm thinking about the Sevylor Colorado canoe. Seats 2 and is $284.99 including shipping.

SEVYLOR® KCC335 COLORADO CANOE - KCC335 Blue - Free Shipping

Anyone have any experience with this one?

We're looking for something to take out on a lake and paddle around a bit. No whitewater (yet - if ever).
We had two Sevylors, not very sturdily built. Got smart and went with an Avon which served us well for many years then a Zodiac.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote