Old 04-09-2008, 06:41 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
It appears that most, if all, replies so far have not given you the answer you asked for -- a high quality inflatable kayak or canoe.

If you are certain that is what you want, (recognizing the trade-off between ease of transportation off the water versus the fact that they will be more difficult to handle on the water - lake) then I'd probably look to either Northwest River Supply (NRS) or Sotar.

NRS has their own brand of inflatables and they also sell Aire inflatable kayaks -- the top end models of each sell for around $1,000 to $1,500 and have 10 year warranties.

I didn't look at whether Sotar makes a standard inflatable kayak model(s), but they specialize in customized inflatables, so I suspect they'd make you one exactly like you'd want it if they don't offer a standard model. Their price would be in the same range as the top end NRS and Aire models, and perhaps a bit higher.

John

Old 04-10-2008, 06:20 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
It appears that most, if all, replies so far have not given you the answer you asked for -- a high quality inflatable kayak or canoe.

If you are certain that is what you want, (recognizing the trade-off between ease of transportation off the water versus the fact that they will be more difficult to handle on the water - lake) then I'd probably look to either Northwest River Supply (NRS) or Sotar.

John
Thanks John - I appreciate the information. You're right - most of the other replies weren't giving me information on inflatables,but I have to admit, the variety of responses did open my eyes to other options. At this point I may not be certain if I want an inflatable or kayak. I am checking every option that everyone mentioned here.

Now I guess my next question is - how do you schlep kayaks (or canoes) and a trailer?

Old 04-10-2008, 06:44 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
We have an inflatable boat we will be glad to sell to somebody, it is a good one but we don't need it. Not a canoe or kayak tho, just a dinghy type.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:57 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
Schleping...

Below are links to the two big rack manufactures.

Yakima Racks, Bike Racks, Roof Racks for Skis, Cargo & Kayaks - Yakima

Thule

Both have ways to feed in information and give you back suggestions for your vehicle. If you have a topper on your truck and since it is 4 wheel drive height may be an issue. I had a short ladder plus a rack that would lower the Kayak to the side of the vehicle. Don't know what happened to the company - thought Yakima bought them. Thule does have a similar product now. There are also other manufactures out there that make loading systems for trucks.

I now carry mine on my Jeep and the height is not as much of an issue to me for loading and unloading... getting older may change that. I would consider selling that side loading mount if you get farther down that path and are interested, let me know.

In addition, there are several manufactures of dolly systems for moving kayaks and canoes around once you have them on the ground.

I use a Scupper Pup that I bought from:

Canoes, Kayaks, and Paddling & Outdoor Gear from The Jersey Paddler - Brick, New Jersey

I have bought all of my rack products from:

The Rack Warehouse

Good luck with your decision...
Between 'steams...
reday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:03 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandrod
Now I guess my next question is - how do you schlep kayaks (or canoes) and a trailer?
I had a Hauler ladder rack (nice aluminum that matched the Airstream) for the back of my truck that was designed to fit over my truck cap. (They also have models for trucks without caps). You can put just about anything and everything on them.

I also have a Yakima rack that I used on my Expedition. They make these racks for just about every vehicle and for every hauling need.

John
Old 04-10-2008, 11:03 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I have had both the Zodiac and the Porta boat and perfer the Porta boat. I ahd the 10 ft Zodiac and it was bvulky to handle 4x3x2 and weighed 80 lbs. The 10 foot gave about 7 1/2 foot of interior. The airchambers took about 18 in on each side. I used a 6 hp and also 40 lb troll. I had the roll up wood floor. I like the Portaboat (12 ft) better in that it feels more stable and have it on out on the Mississippi with the 6hp. Tracks better and I don't loose the floor space I experimented with a buddy and he made waves and the boat handled them well (WE WEAR LIFE JACKETS). I had my wife with me and she said she felt safer in the Portaboat . We put the portaboat inside our AS for transport but I have the mounting brackets but not attached. mike
Old 04-11-2008, 07:03 AM   #35
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Thanks John - I appreciate the information. You're right - most of the other replies weren't giving me information on inflatables,but I have to admit, the variety of responses did open my eyes to other options. At this point I may not be certain if I want an inflatable or kayak. I am checking every option that everyone mentioned here.

Like this;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Summer 2007 064.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	455.5 KB
ID:	57985  
Old 04-11-2008, 08:52 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
Like this;
Thanks Bill - that's what I have in mind if we do a rigid boat. We can't put a rack in the bed of the truck since we have a bed cover - not the "camper" style but a flat cover that is directly over the bed. We have an extended cab, not the crew cab style so I don't know if the length of the cab top will be enough to support anything. We'll see what happens.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:39 AM   #37
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Thanks Bill - that's what I have in mind if we do a rigid boat. We can't put a rack in the bed of the truck since we have a bed cover - not the "camper" style but a flat cover that is directly over the bed. We have an extended cab, not the crew cab style so I don't know if the length of the cab top will be enough to support anything. We'll see what happens.
Not sure if racks will work with shorter cab styles...I think crew cab was minimum recommended length due to moment arm of boat length. You will have to check. Don't know if you can tell by the pic; bikes in the bed, boats up top. This works great for us.

BTW; I'll say it once more...the porta-bote rocks!
(pun intended)
If you want a boat, check your local craigslist of that yahoo forum. You can pick them up for .50 on the dollar.
Of course, if you really want a paddle boat, then yak or canoe is the way to go.
My .02; avoid inflatables. They are temporary at best.

Bill
Old 04-11-2008, 12:48 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
Not sure if racks will work with shorter cab styles...I think crew cab was minimum recommended length due to moment arm of boat length. You will have to check. Don't know if you can tell by the pic; bikes in the bed, boats up top. This works great for us. Bill
If I did a pair of shorter yaks like the Hobie Lanai I think I could get away with it on an extended cab. They would only hang off by about 24 to 30 inches front and back. The moment arm would be significantly reduced. I don't think they would be able to develop enough force either laterally or downward to then cause a problem.

I still haven't totally rejected the idea of an inflatable. For the amount it would be used it could last me a long time. After all, this is the desert Southwest!

Jim
Old 04-11-2008, 02:00 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Sotar does make inflatable kayaks. I wasn't sure about that but I just looked at them on their website.

I think I'd opt for the self-baling model.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:14 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I am comparing the Sevylor Colorado canoe, and their tandem kayak models .
My main issue is a decent back supporting seat. Does either of these have that?
If not we may opt for a Mad River Adventurer 14. Not inflatable but affordable, and gets good recommendations from my friends.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:50 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
We ended up buying two single Advanced Elements Advanced Frame inflatable kayaks. This is one of them. They pack away in a bag 10" x 17" x 30". They make a tandem model as well.

Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:54 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' International CCD
Freehold , New Jersey
I own a tandem Advanced Elements/Advanced Frame inflatable kayak. I love it, handles great and fits me, the wife and my 10 year old. Now I an no kayak expert so take it for what its worth.

BUT...

Hauling it to the lake, beach, river etc is a royal pain! A hard sided is easier to carry (with 2 people). I need a hand truck to get it where I want to inflate (which is easy with a high quality hand pump).